Kirk Cousins - the future Jets nobody here seems to want to talk about

Integrity28

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the "strong indication" is Kirk Cousins will play out this season under the franchise tag.

RapSheet adds, "Both sides are OK with it." They have until Monday to work out a long-term deal, but no one seems to think it will happen. Both Adam Schefter and John Keim of ESPN have called it a "long shot" while NFL Network's Charley Casserly said he does not "see any way" a deal gets done. Considering it would cost Washington $34.5 million to tag Cousins next year, failing to reach a deal now will almost guarantee the quarterback hits free agency next spring.

*looks at the roster moves the Jets have made to clear space for next year*

I would be okay with us throwing the dollars at this guy, if the opportunity presents itself - and by that I mean:

• we aren not in position to draft a QB at the top of the draft
  • Hack, Petty and McCown are all trash
  • Bowles is no longer the coach
  • Cousins continues to prove he's a top QB in this league - despite being a cornball

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I would be okay with us throwing the dollars at this guy, if the opportunity presents itself - and by that I mean:

• Cousins continues to prove he's a top QB in this league - despite being a cornball

Completely agree. If we're not in a position to take one of the top QBs in the draft (or Darnold, Rosen, etc take a dump this season), then we should go all out for Cousins. Always liked him.

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Was just about to post this.  Mac reportedly tried to trade for him once already.

Seems to be a reoccurring theme.  

What trade has he executed successfully?  sh*tzpatrick and The Lockerroom destroyer?  Picks that have zero value no and got zero return.

Anywho, didn't mean to go down that path.  I'd welcome Cousins, under the same circumstances Ape laid out.  While I have little faith in Bowles, I'd still do it if he was the coach.  

The only thing I wouldn't do is over pay and cripple yourself.  

I'd only throw money at him if we're in no position to grab a top QB in next years draft and if Bowles is gone and we bring in a offensive minded head coach. Either way, why would he ever choose the Jets? Or any other decent QB?? 

19 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Haha, Charley Casserly still gets quoted in football articles?

Can we be honest and just say Casserly has lost his mind?  Who recommend Todd Bowles and Mike Macagnan without suffering from dimentia?

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If we are not in any position to draft a top QB that is going to most likely mean Petty or Hack played well enough to lead us into the future.

I have watched Cousins basically do his best Todd Bowles imitation when playing the top teams in the NFL and have never thought of him as a franchise QB. Besides, why the Skins would ever think of letting him walk if he was a franchise QB? Bottom line is, he is just not that good.

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme.  

What trade has he executed successfully?  sh*tzpatrick and The Lockerroom destroyer?  Picks that have zero value no and got zero return.

Anywho, didn't mean to go down that path.  I'd welcome Cousins, under the same circumstances Ape laid out.  While I have little faith in Bowles, I'd still do it if he was the coach.  

The only thing I wouldn't do is over pay and cripple yourself.  

Fitz is gone jif...its over.

Am I supposed to be upset that he couldn't get the Redskins to deal a promising young QB when RG III's future was up in the air?

Trades rarely happen in the NFL, but based on how the 'skins have blown this from the start, I wouldn't be shocked if they dealt him at this point.

Not saying it's a bad move, but the idea of paying him what he supposedly wants (more than Derek Carr's new contract) makes me a little queasy.  For $25MM+ you should be getting Derek Carr, Aaron Rodgers or the like.  It irks me to pay the same money for Kirk Cousins, who is good...top-half most likely...but not top-5 and not young enough to be getting better.  Still, we've thrown big money after worse guys at less important positions so I'll hold my nose.

I am not really in favor of signing Cousins. Consider this: if Hack turns out to be the guy he has a seven tear longer potential lifespan than Cousins. If Hack is not the guy. we will likely draft someone in RD1 that will be even younger.

That said, the Jets have so much cap space next year that they could use roster bonus and other escalated bonuses to make the cap hit of a 5 year contact very minimal./

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am not really in favor of signing Cousins. Consider this: if Hack turns out to be the guy he has a seven tear longer potential lifespan than Cousins. If Hack is not the guy. we will likely draft someone in RD1 that will be even younger.

That said, the Jets have so much cap space next year that they could use roster bonus and other escalated bonuses to make the cap hit of a 5 year contact very minimal./

Two things:

1.) 30 isn't too old for a QB

2.) I included qualifiers about Hack and the 1st round QBs

22 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not saying it's a bad move, but the idea of paying him what he supposedly wants (more than Derek Carr's new contract) makes me a little queasy.  For $25MM+ you should be getting Derek Carr, Aaron Rodgers or the like.  It irks me to pay the same money for Kirk Cousins, who is good...top-half most likely...but not top-5 and not young enough to be getting better.  Still, we've thrown big money after worse guys at less important positions so I'll hold my nose.

No offense Dan, but it always puzzles me when fans take this position. 1.) because Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be available, so you have to pay for what is; and 2.) the cost goes up every year and is based on supply and demand, meaning that if you want a QB you pay what the market demands are for the one available. It's simple economics. 

You may not think Cousins is good - and that's a fine reason to not want him - but the argument over him not being worth X amount of dollars is moot. It's a QB driven league, and you have to have one to compete. So, if Cousins costs $3-5 mil / year more than you agree with, but it legitimizes the Jets instantly - then it's worth the price.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No offense Dan, but it always puzzles me when fans take this position. 1.) because Aaron Rodgers isn't going to be available, so you have to pay for what is; and 2.) the cost goes up every year and is based on supply and demand, meaning that if you want a QB you pay what the market demands are for the one available. It's simple economics. 

You may not think Cousins is good - and that's a fine reason to not want him - but the argument over him not being worth X amount of dollars is moot. It's a QB driven league, and you have to have one to compete. So, if Cousins costs $3-5 mil / year more than you agree with, but it legitimizes the Jets instantly - then it's worth the price.

It's kind of moot anyway. He's not going to sign here as an FA, and trading for him would be prohibitively expensive.

19 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't think the age is that important.  What is important is how long you have him locked up.  Hackenberg will be a FA in 2020.  How old he is won't matter if he bolts to the Texans.  That is one reason I am not that fond of this new-fangled red-shirt idea.  It was okay in the dark ages when teams could sit on talent, but that is no longer the case.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It's kind of moot anyway. He's not going to sign here as an FA, and trading for him would be prohibitively expensive.

I think he's going to sign wherever they offer him the most money. Sounds Jetsy enough to me.

Cousins has produced nice "stats" the past two years but even his own team doesn't believe in him.  If they

did he wouldn't be on the franchise tag for the second straight year

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

If we are not in any position to draft a top QB that is going to most likely mean Petty or Hack played well enough to lead us into the future.

I have watched Cousins basically do his best Todd Bowles imitation when playing the top teams in the NFL and have never thought of him as a franchise QB. Besides, why the Skins would ever think of letting him walk if he was a franchise QB? Bottom line is, he is just not that good.

AMEN!

No to signing the 2nd coming of Neil O'Donnell. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I think he's going to sign wherever they offer him the most money. Sounds Jetsy enough to me.

I think he's going to sign with San Francisco, but it's hard to discount the possibility of Maccagnan throwing $200 million at him.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I think he's going to sign with San Francisco, but it's hard to discount the possibility of Maccagnan throwing $200 million at him.

That's basically how i'm looking at it.

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold still has three years before he can legally walk into a bar and drink. Plus he would be cheap cheap for five years if we can get him.  I say pass on Cousins. NFL team DO NOT let franchise QBs walk that often. Unless they are old or short like Drew Breeze. 

Archived