Former Jets QB Chad Pennington hopes Todd Bowles gets the chance to turn franchise around

Gas2No99

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Mark Sanchez was the 5th overall pick in the 2009 draft. You're not grading him on a fair scale. He had so many bad games as a Jets QB. Yeah, the game might not have fell squarely on his shoulders, but he played poorly in so many games. When you draft a guy 5th overall, you expect him to elevate your team. There should have been games we had where he carried us to victory. He couldn't do that,

Mark Sanchez is not a better QB than Phillip Rivers. I'm not going to get into numbers because it's ridiculous. He's clearly a better player than Mark Sanchez who is hanging on to a job in this league by a thread while only being 30 years old.

he certainly had bad games, he wasn't most responsible for most of our losses though even though he is credited w/ them by Jet fans.

he did elevate our team, we made 2 title games, we hadn't made one since 1998, had only made 2 in our history.

outside of the greats very few QBs carry teams to victory, mark certainly help bring us back a lot though.

he's not better than Rivers b/c Rivers gets it done in the reg season BUT if I had to win one game I'd pick Mark b/c Rivers always melts in big games.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Peyton Manning averaged almost 20 more yards per playoff game than Sanchez has ever thrown for.  He has more 400 yard playoff games than Sanchez has 200 yard playoff games.   Sure, let's play compare.  Stick to comparing him to Nick Foles.  He doesn't do so well there either, but at least you aren't looking at a 72-hour hold.

meaningless yards, did you know Peyton threw for almost 300 yds in the SB loss to Seattle! what a great job!  hehad over 300 yds against NO in the SB when he threw that game away, another great job!  I am not comparing Mark to Peyton but Peyton is a legendary choker.  Brady on Indy/Denver and they win 6-8 SBs instead of the 2 they carried Peyton to.  Peyton had a losing PO record until his D dragged him to 3 wins in his final season to get him 1 game over .500.  mark never cost us playoff losses, Manning cost Indy/Den most of their playoff losses.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

meaningless yards, did you know Peyton threw for almost 300 yds in the SB loss to Seattle! what a great job!  hehad over 300 yds against NO in the SB when he threw that game away, another great job!  I am not comparing Mark to Peyton but Peyton is a legendary choker.  Brady on Indy/Denver and they win 6-8 SBs instead of the 2 they carried Peyton to.  Peyton had a losing PO record until his D dragged him to 3 wins in his final season to get him 1 game over .500.  mark never cost us playoff losses, Manning cost Indy/Den most of their playoff losses.

IMO Mark personally lost the game in Pittsburgh.  You can fight me on it, but it easily makes more sense than what you are selling.  How many of his yards came after they were down 24-0?  220?  I know you blame the D, but Sanchez scored -7 for the first half?  Oh wait, I forgot his heroic fg drive at the end of the half.  

Truthfully, I blame the refs. I think they called a bunch of ticky tack defensive holding/PI calls that ruined the flow of the game and the Jets did not take advantage of theirs, while the Steelers did. 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO Mark personally lost the game in Pittsburgh.  You can fight me on it, but it easily makes more sense than what you are selling.  How many of his yards came after they were down 24-0?  220?  I know you blame the D, but Sanchez scored -7 for the first half?  Oh wait, I forgot his heroic fg drive at the end of the half.  

Truthfully, I blame the refs. I think they called a bunch of ticky tack defensive holding/PI calls that ruined the flow of the game and the Jets did not take advantage of theirs, while the Steelers did. 

I would argue you are wrong about that, mark gave us a chance to win.  Our D blew that game.  we barely had the ball in the first half, the Steelers took the opening possession for 10 mins and scored a TD.  mark and the pass game brought us back and gave us a chance but the D couldn't get a late stop.

I blame the entire team, they all came out flat.  I was there, I saw it in pregame. biggest game of most of their lives and they looked like it was August.  maybe they just put everything into beating NE?  I don't know, looking back it may be the most painful loss in team history(at least top 2-3) especially w/ what we have done since.

You do understand that not having the ball for a half is an indication that the offense sucked balls? Pittsburgh got the opening kickoff and the Jets still had more drive opportunities thanks to Mark spitting up the fumble six.  Not having the ball is an symptom of having 3 sub-one minute drives and another that was 1:04.  The piece of sh*t offense had drives of -2, 3 and -14 yards in the first half.  Not conducive to a ball control offense and maybe tiring the D out?  Like converting the Harris interception into -2 yards and a punt? Way to "elevate" you game for the playoffs, Mark.

You'll look at his over 100 rating and 230 yards passing (LOL that is a lot for him) and act like he did something. It's a joke.  You actually want to pretend that he put the team in a chance to win and the D couldn't get a stop?  Give me a ******* break.  If that piece of sh*t could have flopped it in on 1st and goal from the 2, they would have been in fine position.  The D had to get a safety to even give them the chance you are squawking about after that debacle.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

You do understand that not having the ball for a half is an indication that the offense sucked balls? Pittsburgh got the opening kickoff and the Jets still had more drive opportunities thanks to Mark spitting up the fumble six.  Not having the ball is an symptom of having 3 sub-one minute drives and another that was 1:04.  The piece of sh*t offense had drives of -2, 3 and -14 yards in the first half.  Not conducive to a ball control offense and maybe tiring the D out?  Like converting the Harris interception into -2 yards and a punt? Way to "elevate" you game for the playoffs, Mark.

you do understand Pitt got the ball first and held the ball for almost 10 mins on their opening TD drive?  Call me crazy but I don't think the O should be blamed for that.  Our first possession on O we had the ball for 4 mins keeping the D off the field but a false start penalty killed that drive.  Pitt got it back and was moving at will again when they went for it on 4th and 1 and we got a stop.  on next possession we ran end around and lost 4 yds, then had a false start.  2nd and 19 but I am sure that was all Mark's fault. Pitt kicks FG, next possession was first w/o penalty and we had a 3 and out. Pitt scored TD then we got sacked deep and had the fumble.  The first half was not on the O and the great drive to end the half got us back into it somewhat and then we opened 2nd half w/ quick TD and we had a ballgame.

now converting the Harris int into -2 yards was his fault?  let's look at the playcalling shall we?

1st down: Green for -3(must have been the way mark handed it off)

2nd down: screen pass to LT for -5

3rd down and 18: LT 8 yd run

obviously that was all Mark's fault and let's not look at how great he played the rest of the game where he joined Pat Ryan and Chad Pennington as the only Jet QBs in playoff history to throw 3 TDs and no INTs(only one to do it on the road).

The offense had the ball and they kept it for no time.  That is not on the D.  The defense was outscored 17-2 in that game.  Mark put up a heroic 17 points himself, but gave back 6.  Usually, I would expect a better dividend than 11 net points from a QB playing well enough to win.  Give me a ******* break. 

BTW, didn't Harris have the pick or was that NE?  I thought it was Harris but when I was checking the play by play on pro football reference it says Thomas.  May have mixed the plays up.

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The offense had the ball and they kept it for no time.  That is not on the D.  The defense was outscored 17-2 in that game.  Mark put up a heroic 17 points himself, but gave back 6.  Usually, I would expect a better dividend than 11 net points from a QB playing well enough to win.  Give me a ******* break. 

BTW, didn't Harris have the pick or was that NE?  I thought it was Harris but when I was checking the play by play on pro football reference it says Thomas.  May have mixed the plays up.

Lol, when logic fails, use emotion 

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

again, the possession after the near 10 min Steeler TD drive we held the ball for over 4 mins and a penalty set us back.  

The D scored b/c Ben fumbled the snap after our O set them up at their 1.  Our D had to allow 1 or no 1st downs on the final possession and we would have had a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  they failed, game over.

The QB brought us back from down 24 to down just 5 w/ plenty of time left. The D put us in the hole and when the QB tried to get us out the D kicked dirt on us.

the Harris pick was the NE game, the Thomas pick was essentially a TO on downs.  it was 4th and 1 and we had Ben and he just threw it up and Thomas picked it.  

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

again, the possession after the near 10 min Steeler TD drive we held the ball for over 4 mins and a penalty set us back.  

The D scored b/c Ben fumbled the snap after our O set them up at their 1.  Our D had to allow 1 or no 1st downs on the final possession and we would have had a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  they failed, game over.

The QB brought us back from down 24 to down just 5 w/ plenty of time left. The D put us in the hole and when the QB tried to get us out the D kicked dirt on us.

the Harris pick was the NE game, the Thomas pick was essentially a TO on downs.  it was 4th and 1 and we had Ben and he just threw it up and Thomas picked it.  

You keep referencing this 4 minute drive like it is some kind of ball control first.  That was all he did the entire half and if it weren't for 2 BS PI/defensive holding calls, it would have lasted less than 2 minutes. Like the rest of the stiff's first half.  He put up a 3 and out during the "furious" comeback (they took their sweet time) and in his 2nd best drive he didn't even score.  But "IT WAS ALL THE D'S FAULT!" Like I said, net points the defense was -15, offense +11.  Which is worse? 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

both QBs started 8 games. Foles was 6-2(really 5-2 as Mark came in tie game and led Philly to win in Houston), Mark 4-4.  looks bad but let's dig deeper, shall we?

in 8 games Foles started they faced just 2 playoff teams, going 1-1 against Indy and Ari

In 8 games mark started 5 were against playoff bound teams- actually 5 were against the NFC final 4 that year- 2 vs. Dallas, 1 vs. Sea, GB and Car

so we can see he faced the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH tougher portion of the schedule.

w/ that much tougher sched let's look at the pts the QBs led their O to.(we'll prorate the Houston game)

w/ Fole in 7 games:

O averaged 22 points per game

w/ sanchez in essentially 9 games:

O averaged 27.1 PPG

against a MUCH tougher part of sched the O average over 5 more PPG, almost a TD more per game but yeah it was Mark's fault why they went 4-4 w/ him starting and missed the playoffs.

Okay, so why is this guy a third string QB, then, if he's so good? What NFL teams do you think he should be starting on - besides the Jets, of course. 

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You keep referencing this 4 minute drive like it is some kind of ball control first.  That was all he did the entire half and if it weren't for 2 BS PI/defensive holding calls, it would have lasted less than 2 minutes. Like the rest of the stiff's first half.  He put up a 3 and out during the "furious" comeback (they took their sweet time) and in his 2nd best drive he didn't even score.  But "IT WAS ALL THE D'S FAULT!" Like I said, net points the defense was -15, offense +11.  Which is worse? 

the point of the 4 min drive is that we didn't go 3 and out and give it right back.  we got 3 1st downs and were moving the ball before the penalty set us back.

which is it? you said earlier the refs screwed us and now you are complaining we got a call on the 1st drive.

I never said it was ALL the D's fault but the D was the primary reason we lost.

the bottom line is this, the D put us in a hole, we were trailing by a Td before the O saw the field, the O got the game w/in 5 w/ plenty of time and the D needed to allow 0 or 1 1st down and they allowed 2 and the game was over.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Okay, so why is this guy a third string QB, then, if he's so good? What NFL teams do you think he should be starting on - besides the Jets, of course. 

that's irrelevant to the discussion of his 2014 season.  

he's better than our QB, better than Buf's, Miami's, etc...

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

that's irrelevant to the discussion of his 2014 season.  

he's better than our QB, better than Buf's, Miami's, etc...

It's relevant to the discussion of whether or not Mark Sanchez is a good NFL QB, the 2014 season discussion is merely an offshoot of that. 

Quick look and I'd say Buffalo and Miami have between four and six QBs better than Mark Sanchez. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

It's relevant to the discussion of whether or not Mark Sanchez is a good NFL QB, the 2014 season discussion is merely an offshoot of that. 

Quick look and I'd say Buffalo and Miami have between four and six QBs better than Mark Sanchez. 

what he did for us or did in 2014 has nothing to do w/ today.  teams are always looking for the next big thing and would rather give a young, unproven player a chance.

Mark is better than anything Miami and Buffalo have had since the days of Kelly and marino.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the point of the 4 min drive is that we didn't go 3 and out and give it right back.  we got 3 1st downs and were moving the ball before the penalty set us back.

which is it? you said earlier the refs screwed us and now you are complaining we got a call on the 1st drive.

I never said it was ALL the D's fault but the D was the primary reason we lost.

the bottom line is this, the D put us in a hole, we were trailing by a Td before the O saw the field, the O got the game w/in 5 w/ plenty of time and the D needed to allow 0 or 1 1st down and they allowed 2 and the game was over.

The point of the 4 minute drive is that every drive in the first half wasn't a complete disaster.  4 out 5 aint bad.

I didn't say the refs screwed us.  I said they screwed up the game.  They called it very tight.  The Steelers would have gone 3 and out on the first drive if not for a penalty on Cro.  The Steelers took advantage of those calls.  "Played well enough to win" did not. 

The D put us in a hole?  Sanchez left us there and then kicked dirt on top with his fumble. 

what he did for us or did in 2014 has nothing to do w/ today.  teams are always looking for the next big thing and would rather give a young, unproven player a chance.

Mark is better than anything Miami and Buffalo have had since the days of Kelly and marino.

@Maxman , this is why -besides the up and down post rep- we need one of those laughy faces. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The point of the 4 minute drive is that every drive in the first half wasn't a complete disaster.  4 out 5 aint bad.

I didn't say the refs screwed us.  I said they screwed up the game.  They called it very tight.  The Steelers would have gone 3 and out on the first drive if not for a penalty on Cro.  The Steelers took advantage of those calls.  "Played well enough to win" did not. 

The D put us in a hole?  Sanchez left us there and then kicked dirt on top with his fumble. 

the fumble easily could have been called an incompletion- it was that close but 2 things:

1- it was a bad job to put him in that spot

2- it didn't really hurt us

had it not been ruled a fumble we are punting from deep in our territory and Pitt likely gets the ball near midfield and would have at least kicked a FG(if not scored a TD the way they easily moved the ball against our D).  if that happens it's 20-0, we went into the half down 21.  not a big difference.  we came back, made it a real game and our overrated D couldn't step up and get one stop.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

@Maxman , this is why -besides the up and down post rep- we need one of those laughy faces. 

if you have nothing just move along.  you said he sucked in 2014, I easily countered that bad take and you are just deflecting now.

the fumble easily could have been called an incompletion- it was that close but 2 things:

Giving up TDs with no time left never really hurts in the playoffs.  That piece of sh*t spit the ball up.  He always did.  He was a Kerry Collins level fumbler and you are defending the indefensible.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

+1  I was looking

giphy.gif

is there a mirror you are looking at?  I have repeatedly roasted your weak arguments, countered every excuse you have made.  

are there any adults in here that would like to discuss this?

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Actually we should have a full rep system soon, more then just + / 1. It is in the next version soon to be released.

Giving up TDs with no time left never really hurts in the playoffs.  That piece of sh*t spit the ball up.  He always did.  He was a Kerry Collins level fumbler and you are defending the indefensible.  

again, it easily could have been ruled incomplete. 

it was silly to put him in that situation on 3rd and long

if he doesn't fumble the game is likely 20-0 at half instead of 24-3 at half.  1 point did not determine this game, if anything we got some momentum going into the half w/ that great FG drive.  we then quickly scored to open the 3rd and we had a game.  unfortunately when we had a chance late our overrated D folded as they usually did in big spots.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

had it not been ruled a fumble we are punting from deep in our territory and Pitt likely gets the ball near midfield and would have at least kicked a FG(if not scored a TD the way they easily moved the ball against our D).  if that happens it's 20-0, we went into the half down 21.  not a big difference.  we came back, made it a real game and our overrated D couldn't step up and get one stop.

if you have nothing just move along.  you said he sucked in 2014, I easily countered that bad take and you are just deflecting now.

I didn't say he sucked. I said he turned the ball over 18 times in 9 games, finished 1-3, and missed the playoffs after taking over at 6-2. 

I don't have to deflect. I rooted for Sanchez for a long time and agreed that the Jets didn't help him enough to develop him. Since then, I've seen him squander that Philly season and a gift starter's gig in Denver. Now the league as a whole has decided that his place is third string. From where I'm sitting, you're the one dishing out some mad rationalizations. 

Rock on, man. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

4-4 64% 14/11?  That isn't sucky?  Would you accept mediocre?  Cause I will rabidly dispute any rating higher than that. 

he was very good, read my long post about it.  clearly you didn't and are just looking at blind stats.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I didn't say he sucked. I said he turned the ball over 18 times in 9 games, finished 1-3, and missed the playoffs after taking over at 6-2. 

I don't have to deflect. I rooted for Sanchez for a long time and agreed that the Jets didn't help him enough to develop him. Since then, I've seen him squander that Philly season and a gift starter's gig in Denver. Now the league as a whole has decided that his place is third string. From where I'm sitting, you're the one dishing out some mad rationalizations. 

Rock on, man. 

my post answered all those questions but please keep using blind, out of context stats.  obviously scoring almost a TD more per game against tougher competition was why they lost and it was all Mark's fault.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

my post answered all those questions but please keep using blind, out of context stats.  obviously scoring almost a TD more per game against tougher competition was why they lost and it was all Mark's fault.

I've already credited you with outstanding rationalizations. Do you need credit for top shelf straw man creation, too? You got it, man! He's really something if we throw out those blind, out of context turnovers. 

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

is there a mirror you are looking at?  I have repeatedly roasted your weak arguments, countered every excuse you have made.  

are there any adults in here that would like to discuss this?

Who is making excuses?  I would say the guy who claims the fumble "could have been ruled an incompletion."  Or the guy who said that "it was silly" to put our QB in the position to drop back on 3rd and long?  The fumble was the coaches fault for letting him drop back?  In the ******* playoffs?  I suppose it was because they didn't tell him it was yellow light so it was fine for him to spit the ball up there.  Your playoff QB couldn't be trusted to drop back?  The only thing roasted is whatever is in the bowl you are smoking. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who is making excuses?  I would say the guy who claims the fumble "could have been ruled an incompletion."  Or the guy who said that "it was silly" to put our QB in the position to drop back on 3rd and long?  The fumble was the coaches fault for letting him drop back?  In the ******* playoffs?  I suppose it was because they didn't tell him it was yellow light so it was fine for him to spit the ball up there.  Your playoff QB couldn't be trusted to drop back?  The only thing roasted is whatever is in the bowl you are smoking. 

It was 3rd and 17 from deep in our territory, nothing had gone right all first half.  it was foolish to drop back in that situation.

Again, the bottom line is w/  3 mins left, 3 TOs and the 2 min warning we were down by just 5.  I was in that Stadium, the Steeler crowd was incredibly nervous but our overrated D couldn't get a stop. they could have allowed a 1st down and still given us a chance, they couldn't do it.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I've already credited you with outstanding rationalizations. Do you need credit for top shelf straw man creation, too? You got it, man! He's really something if we throw out those blind, out of context turnovers. 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was very good, read my long post about it.  clearly you didn't and are just looking at blind stats.

Very good?  Because he put up sh*tty stats against teams that went to the playoffs?  The Panthers made the playoffs at 7-9.  The difference between the Cowboys record and the Eagles was the two games Sanchez lost to them. Your average points totals were skewed by huge games against that sh*tty playoff Panther team and a Titan team in full tank for a QB mode.  All hail the conquering hero and his "long post"

It was 3rd and 17 from deep in our territory, nothing had gone right all first half.  it was foolish to drop back in that situation.

Foolish to try.  I mean it is only the AFC Championship.  Surely, we should have just run a draw play.  It is only foolish when your QB holds on to the ball too long and then puts it on the turf.  A QB with a brain and 50 cents of situational awareness heaves it up deep and hopes for a penalty or calmly throws it away.  Not our boy.  Mark is the main thing that "didn't go right all first half."  What was he at that point?  3-10 for 17 yards? 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Very good?  Because he put up sh*tty stats against teams that went to the playoffs?  The Panthers made the playoffs at 7-9.  The difference between the Cowboys record and the Eagles was the two games Sanchez lost to them. Your average points totals were skewed by huge games against that sh*tty playoff Panther team and a Titan team in full tank for a QB mode.  All hail the conquering hero and his "long post"

he led the O to almost a TD MORE per game.  put it this way, against a creampuff sched Fitz was "great" 2 years ago and led our O to 24.5 PPG, mark in 5 games out of 8 against final 4 NFC teams led his O to 27.1.

after mark led O to 34 pts against the Carolina D they allowed 13.2 PPG the final 6 reg season games winning 4 of them.

Dallas and Philadelphia split(do you get anything right?).  they beat Dallas 33-10 and lost scoring 27.

and also skewed by 33 and 27 against Dallas, right?

this is fun, i'd prefer a challenge but it's fun laughing at you.

he led the O to almost a TD MORE per game.  put it this way, against a creampuff sched Fitz was "great" 2 years ago and led our O to 24.5 PPG, mark in 5 games out of 8 against final 4 NFC teams led his O to 27.1.

after mark led O to 34 pts against the Carolina D they allowed 13.2 PPG the final 6 reg season games winning 4 of them.

Dallas and Philadelphia split(do you get anything right?).  they beat Dallas 33-10 and lost scoring 27.

and also skewed by 33 and 27 against Dallas, right?

this is fun, i'd prefer a challenge but it's fun laughing at you.

You are laughing at people while supporting a guy who barely has a job?  By "proving" he may be as good as Nick Foles?  

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Foolish to try.  I mean it is only the AFC Championship.  Surely, we should have just run a draw play.  It is only foolish when your QB holds on to the ball too long and then puts it on the turf.  A QB with a brain and 50 cents of situational awareness heaves it up deep and hopes for a penalty or calmly throws it away.  Not our boy.  Mark is the main thing that "didn't go right all first half."  What was he at that point?  3-10 for 17 yards? 

3rd and 17 deep in our territory in the first half.  nah, it was a great decision.  our QB held onto the ball too long?  :lol:

You are laughing at people while supporting a guy who barely has a job?  By "proving" he may be as good as Nick Foles?  

I am discussing reality, I don't care about what he;s doing now but at the time he did good things for us and helped us win a lot of games.

Archived