Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gas2No99

Former Jets QB Chad Pennington hopes Todd Bowles gets the chance to turn franchise around

124 posts in this topic

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

Training camp can't come soon enough. It amazes me just how many players, ex-players, pundits, call them what you will, seem to like Bowles immensely...

Chad does work for the Jets organization, he's not going to blast the HC.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so you wouldn't agree he deserves some appreciation?  what exactly do you disagree w/?  (this should be interesting to read your perception).

you and I have had this exact discussion many times, not going down that road with you again.  I have been open to discussing who sanchez is at every stop on his career.  there is no reason to have that discussion today or ever again(hopefully).

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

you and I have had this exact discussion many times, not going down that road with you again.  I have been open to discussing who sanchez is at every stop on his career.  there is no reason to have that discussion today or ever again(hopefully).

what does that have to do w/ appreciating winning more PO games w/ him than any other QB in Jets history?

14 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Training camp can't come soon enough. It amazes me just how many players, ex-players, pundits, call them what you will, seem to like Bowles immensely...

These comments are not meaningful. 

Q: What do you think about Bowles and his chances with the Jets?

A: I hope he has a chance to succeed.

Q: What do you about X and his chances with Y?

It's just an upbeat non-answer. 

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what does that have to do w/ appreciating winning more PO games w/ him than any other QB in Jets history?

That is your saving grace after all these years and all the chances sanchez has had around the league.  QB friendly coaches, little to no competition at the position.  now all you can do is hang your hat on the point that he was part of a run first team with a good defense that was successful.

And i know you remember our convos due to your little disclaimer at the end of your original post about not building him a statue ;) 

19 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

That is your saving grace after all these years and all the chances sanchez has had around the league.  QB friendly coaches, little to no competition at the position.  now all you can do is hang your hat on the point that he was part of a run first team with a good defense that was successful.

And i know you remember our convos due to your little disclaimer at the end of your original post about not building him a statue ;) 

I don't get your point? You are acting like I said he was all pro caliber.  I don't care what he did when he left(though he was damn good in Philly in 2014), I care about what he did here and we don't make those runs w/o him so I appreciate what he did. If we had him in 2015 our playoff drought would be over.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I don't get your point? You are acting like I said he was all pro caliber.  I don't care what he did when he left(though he was damn good in Philly in 2014), I care about what he did here and we don't make those runs w/o him so I appreciate what he did. If we had him in 2015 our playoff drought would be over.

This is where you overrate Sanchez. You give him to much credit for the 09 and 10 success. Because Mark Sanchez, a very at best average QB on a really strong team made the playoffs in his first two seasons in the NFL does not mean that he would have got the job done with the 2015 Jets.

You're looking at it along the lines of "well he's clutch and has had some big wins for us, so we wouldn't have blown that game in Buffalo with him" when in reality Mark Sanchez has also helped give away games during his career with the Jets, or has just played games poorly where the Jets have gone on to lose. Maybe Mark does beat the Bills the final week in 2015, but maybe he doesn't pick up that clutch first down against the Giants on QB  keeper a few weeks before that to keep the Jets hopes alive in a game they would go on to win.

To make a blanket statement like "If we had him in 2015 our playoff drought would be over" shows how you overrate him. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Rodgers, etc. He's Mark Sanchez, a very average QB at best, at best....

32 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is where you overrate Sanchez. You give him to much credit for the 09 and 10 success. Because Mark Sanchez, a very at best average QB on a really strong team made the playoffs in his first two seasons in the NFL does not mean that he would have got the job done with the 2015 Jets.

You're looking at it along the lines of "well he's clutch and has had some big wins for us, so we wouldn't have blown that game in Buffalo with him" when in reality Mark Sanchez has also helped give away games during his career with the Jets, or has just played games poorly where the Jets have gone on to lose. Maybe Mark does beat the Bills the final week in 2015, but maybe he doesn't pick up that clutch first down against the Giants on QB  keeper a few weeks before that to keep the Jets hopes alive in a game they would go on to win.

To make a blanket statement like "If we had him in 2015 our playoff drought would be over" shows how you overrate him. He's not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Rodgers, etc. He's Mark Sanchez, a very average QB at best, at best....

I give him proper credit unlike most who give him zero.  we were a QB that could make big plays in big spots away from being a playoff team in 2015.  we had all the pieces we had in 2009 and 2010 yet we couldn't get it done against a dead Bills team.

Mark has certainly given away games here and there(not as many as you guys like to credit him for) but he's played well in big games more often than he hasn't and he never crapped the bed in a win and in type game like Fitz did.

I truly believe if we had a QB like Mark we make the playoffs in 2015 and can go on a run. he's not Peyton Manning, a guy like Peyton gets you to the POs every year which Mark cannot BUT you can get there w/ Mark and once in he played really well- better than supposed much better QBs.  he didn't hold his team back like Peyton so often did or like a Rivers, etc...

Mark is an average QB that can elevate, I'd rather have that than a big #s guy who comes up small in big spots.

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

So the only 'good' coach we have had was parcels ???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I mean, I guess I liked Mangini as a coach, but he definitely had his warts.  Rex was an amazing DC and a great guy to root for, but he couldn't manage the team at all, knew very little about the offensive game management and let the lockerroom devolve into a total sh*tshow.  Benefit of having a great roster and a ball control offense and attacking defense.  But it disintegrated very quickly. Herm was just a joke as a coach. He could really motivate his guys, a great mentor type, but that's about all.  Players loved Herm and Rex.  That is never a good sign.  Players need to respect their coaches, not want to go out for a beer and a lapdance with them.  Mangini probably was our best "coach" over the post Parcells time frame.  If he had a real GM he reported to and was kept in check instead of being given the keys to the franchise and a puppet GM and total control...who knows?  The guy did everything the right way.  But the poor players didn't like having to be accountable for everything and work harder than they felt they needed to.  If he was put in a situation where he was being managed by an established GM and was given limited control, things may have turned out different. But our special little richie rich owner is forever learning on the job every year for the past 17 years or whatever and still hasn't figured anything out.

13 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

These comments are not meaningful. 

Q: What do you think about Bowles and his chances with the Jets?

Q: What do you about X and his chances with Y?

It's just an upbeat non-answer. 

Agreed, you can't expect someone like Pennington to come out and blast the current coach. Plus, he's connected to the Jets franchise both currently and in the past.

Still, I haven't heard anyone else  (who are not affiliated with the Jets and are paid to comment and or criticize ) come out and blast Bowles...

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, nyjunc said:

I give him proper credit unlike most who give him zero.  we were a QB that could make big plays in big spots away from being a playoff team in 2015.  we had all the pieces we had in 2009 and 2010 yet we couldn't get it done against a dead Bills team.

Mark has certainly given away games here and there(not as many as you guys like to credit him for) but he's played well in big games more often than he hasn't and he never crapped the bed in a win and in type game like Fitz did.

I truly believe if we had a QB like Mark we make the playoffs in 2015 and can go on a run. he's not Peyton Manning, a guy like Peyton gets you to the POs every year which Mark cannot BUT you can get there w/ Mark and once in he played really well- better than supposed much better QBs.  he didn't hold his team back like Peyton so often did or like a Rivers, etc...

Mark is an average QB that can elevate, I'd rather have that than a big #s guy who comes up small in big spots.

Mark had a knack for coming up big in a big spot. He played very well in the playoffs. But he could also lose any week to any team as well. Fitz played very well in 2015, he stinks but he had a good season. There were games we won with him that we may not have won with Mark. Not because Mark isn't as good, but because they are both shaky players at the position and either one could fall apart against any team in any game.

More is expected out of guys like Peyton and Rivers than it is out of Mark. Mark was asked not to lose games. Peyton and Rivers were high level players who were going to be the reason there team either won or lost. In Marks first playoff game Rex asked him to throw the ball only 16 times. He did a good job in that game, but the Jets were clearly afraid of him airing it out. Rivers has played 9 postseason games and was only asked to throw the ball under 25 times twice. More was expected out of Rivers and obviously Manning because they were/are better players.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:39 PM, The Crusher said:

Has Chad watched a Jets game since Bowles been coaching? 

Bowles has been coaching??

Who is Chad Pennington.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Bowles has been coaching??

Damn. Well done. Haha

On 7/17/2017 at 11:59 AM, nyjunc said:

In his damn good year, he appeared in 9 games, starting 8, and threw 11 interceptions and added 7 fumbles. He started 4-1, finished 1-3 with the team out of the playoffs (After Nick Foles got them out to a 6-2 start). There's a reason this guy is currently employed as a third string QB. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Mark had a knack for coming up big in a big spot. He played very well in the playoffs. But he could also lose any week to any team as well. Fitz played very well in 2015, he stinks but he had a good season. There were games we won with him that we may not have won with Mark. Not because Mark isn't as good, but because they are both shaky players at the position and either one could fall apart against any team in any game.

More is expected out of guys like Peyton and Rivers than it is out of Mark. Mark was asked not to lose games. Peyton and Rivers were high level players who were going to be the reason there team either won or lost. In Marks first playoff game Rex asked him to throw the ball only 16 times. He did a good job in that game, but the Jets were clearly afraid of him airing it out. Rivers has played 9 postseason games and was only asked to throw the ball under 25 times twice. More was expected out of Rivers and obviously Manning because they were/are better players.

mark cost us very few games and there wasn't really a game in 2015 that we couldn't have won with him(and there were games we lost we could have won w/ him).

Peyton and Rivers were more often than not the reason their teams lost in postseason including when we beat the Chargers in the '09 div rd where Rivers played like a rookie and Mark like a vet.

In Mark's first playoff game he was 13-16 w/ 2 of them drops including what would have been a 50+ yd TD.  they got a lead and stopped throwing.

In Mark's 4 wins he averaged 24 attempts, in the 2 losses he averaged 32 attempts.  why? b/c we trailed by more than a score in the 2 losses while in the 4 wins our largest deficit was 7.

In Rivers' 5 PO losses he averaged 34 attempts, in his 4 wins(3 really, his backup won one of the games) he averaged 25.  pretty similar to Mark.

Rivers is the better reg season QB, Mark the better postseason QB.  I would trust mark in a big game more than the overrated Rivers wh had one of the most talented rosters in football the first half of his career and only made 1 title game when his backup led the GW TD drive.

22 minutes ago, slats said:

In his damn good year, he appeared in 9 games, starting 8, and threw 11 interceptions and added 7 fumbles. He started 4-1, finished 1-3 with the team out of the playoffs (After Nick Foles got them out to a 6-2 start). There's a reason this guy is currently employed as a third string QB. 

both QBs started 8 games. Foles was 6-2(really 5-2 as Mark came in tie game and led Philly to win in Houston), Mark 4-4.  looks bad but let's dig deeper, shall we?

in 8 games Foles started they faced just 2 playoff teams, going 1-1 against Indy and Ari

In 8 games mark started 5 were against playoff bound teams- actually 5 were against the NFC final 4 that year- 2 vs. Dallas, 1 vs. Sea, GB and Car

so we can see he faced the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH tougher portion of the schedule.

w/ that much tougher sched let's look at the pts the QBs led their O to.(we'll prorate the Houston game)

w/ Fole in 7 games:

O averaged 22 points per game

w/ sanchez in essentially 9 games:

O averaged 27.1 PPG

against a MUCH tougher part of sched the O average over 5 more PPG, almost a TD more per game but yeah it was Mark's fault why they went 4-4 w/ him starting and missed the playoffs.

Peyton Manning averaged almost 20 more yards per playoff game than Sanchez has ever thrown for.  He has more 400 yard playoff games than Sanchez has 200 yard playoff games.   Sure, let's play compare.  Stick to comparing him to Nick Foles.  He doesn't do so well there either, but at least you aren't looking at a 72-hour hold.

21 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

mark cost us very few games and there wasn't really a game in 2015 that we couldn't have won with him(and there were games we lost we could have won w/ him).

Peyton and Rivers were more often than not the reason their teams lost in postseason including when we beat the Chargers in the '09 div rd where Rivers played like a rookie and Mark like a vet.

In Mark's first playoff game he was 13-16 w/ 2 of them drops including what would have been a 50+ yd TD.  they got a lead and stopped throwing.

In Mark's 4 wins he averaged 24 attempts, in the 2 losses he averaged 32 attempts.  why? b/c we trailed by more than a score in the 2 losses while in the 4 wins our largest deficit was 7.

In Rivers' 5 PO losses he averaged 34 attempts, in his 4 wins(3 really, his backup won one of the games) he averaged 25.  pretty similar to Mark.

Rivers is the better reg season QB, Mark the better postseason QB.  I would trust mark in a big game more than the overrated Rivers wh had one of the most talented rosters in football the first half of his career and only made 1 title game when his backup led the GW TD drive.

Mark Sanchez was the 5th overall pick in the 2009 draft. You're not grading him on a fair scale. He had so many bad games as a Jets QB. Yeah, the game might not have fell squarely on his shoulders, but he played poorly in so many games. When you draft a guy 5th overall, you expect him to elevate your team. There should have been games we had where he carried us to victory. He couldn't do that,

Mark Sanchez is not a better QB than Phillip Rivers. I'm not going to get into numbers because it's ridiculous. He's clearly a better player than Mark Sanchez who is hanging on to a job in this league by a thread while only being 30 years old.

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Mark Sanchez was the 5th overall pick in the 2009 draft. You're not grading him on a fair scale. He had so many bad games as a Jets QB. Yeah, the game might not have fell squarely on his shoulders, but he played poorly in so many games. When you draft a guy 5th overall, you expect him to elevate your team. There should have been games we had where he carried us to victory. He couldn't do that,

Mark Sanchez is not a better QB than Phillip Rivers. I'm not going to get into numbers because it's ridiculous. He's clearly a better player than Mark Sanchez who is hanging on to a job in this league by a thread while only being 30 years old.

I agree with completely but in fairness.... 2010 Mark was a stud and brought us back from defeat on several occasions.  

Unrortunately for us, game 3 2009  was more a true example of what Mark would be like much of his career. 

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

he certainly had bad games, he wasn't most responsible for most of our losses though even though he is credited w/ them by Jet fans.

he did elevate our team, we made 2 title games, we hadn't made one since 1998, had only made 2 in our history.

outside of the greats very few QBs carry teams to victory, mark certainly help bring us back a lot though.

he's not better than Rivers b/c Rivers gets it done in the reg season BUT if I had to win one game I'd pick Mark b/c Rivers always melts in big games.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Peyton Manning averaged almost 20 more yards per playoff game than Sanchez has ever thrown for.  He has more 400 yard playoff games than Sanchez has 200 yard playoff games.   Sure, let's play compare.  Stick to comparing him to Nick Foles.  He doesn't do so well there either, but at least you aren't looking at a 72-hour hold.

meaningless yards, did you know Peyton threw for almost 300 yds in the SB loss to Seattle! what a great job!  hehad over 300 yds against NO in the SB when he threw that game away, another great job!  I am not comparing Mark to Peyton but Peyton is a legendary choker.  Brady on Indy/Denver and they win 6-8 SBs instead of the 2 they carried Peyton to.  Peyton had a losing PO record until his D dragged him to 3 wins in his final season to get him 1 game over .500.  mark never cost us playoff losses, Manning cost Indy/Den most of their playoff losses.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

meaningless yards, did you know Peyton threw for almost 300 yds in the SB loss to Seattle! what a great job!  hehad over 300 yds against NO in the SB when he threw that game away, another great job!  I am not comparing Mark to Peyton but Peyton is a legendary choker.  Brady on Indy/Denver and they win 6-8 SBs instead of the 2 they carried Peyton to.  Peyton had a losing PO record until his D dragged him to 3 wins in his final season to get him 1 game over .500.  mark never cost us playoff losses, Manning cost Indy/Den most of their playoff losses.

IMO Mark personally lost the game in Pittsburgh.  You can fight me on it, but it easily makes more sense than what you are selling.  How many of his yards came after they were down 24-0?  220?  I know you blame the D, but Sanchez scored -7 for the first half?  Oh wait, I forgot his heroic fg drive at the end of the half.  

Truthfully, I blame the refs. I think they called a bunch of ticky tack defensive holding/PI calls that ruined the flow of the game and the Jets did not take advantage of theirs, while the Steelers did. 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO Mark personally lost the game in Pittsburgh.  You can fight me on it, but it easily makes more sense than what you are selling.  How many of his yards came after they were down 24-0?  220?  I know you blame the D, but Sanchez scored -7 for the first half?  Oh wait, I forgot his heroic fg drive at the end of the half.  

Truthfully, I blame the refs. I think they called a bunch of ticky tack defensive holding/PI calls that ruined the flow of the game and the Jets did not take advantage of theirs, while the Steelers did. 

I would argue you are wrong about that, mark gave us a chance to win.  Our D blew that game.  we barely had the ball in the first half, the Steelers took the opening possession for 10 mins and scored a TD.  mark and the pass game brought us back and gave us a chance but the D couldn't get a late stop.

I blame the entire team, they all came out flat.  I was there, I saw it in pregame. biggest game of most of their lives and they looked like it was August.  maybe they just put everything into beating NE?  I don't know, looking back it may be the most painful loss in team history(at least top 2-3) especially w/ what we have done since.

You do understand that not having the ball for a half is an indication that the offense sucked balls? Pittsburgh got the opening kickoff and the Jets still had more drive opportunities thanks to Mark spitting up the fumble six.  Not having the ball is an symptom of having 3 sub-one minute drives and another that was 1:04.  The piece of sh*t offense had drives of -2, 3 and -14 yards in the first half.  Not conducive to a ball control offense and maybe tiring the D out?  Like converting the Harris interception into -2 yards and a punt? Way to "elevate" you game for the playoffs, Mark.

You'll look at his over 100 rating and 230 yards passing (LOL that is a lot for him) and act like he did something. It's a joke.  You actually want to pretend that he put the team in a chance to win and the D couldn't get a stop?  Give me a ******* break.  If that piece of sh*t could have flopped it in on 1st and goal from the 2, they would have been in fine position.  The D had to get a safety to even give them the chance you are squawking about after that debacle.