Teddy Bridgewater, the OTHER future no one is talking about!

Mogglez

Teddy Bridgewater: The OTHER future no one is talking about!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay

• Call the Vikings up, offer a conditional pick.
    • After missing out on Darnold, Rosen, & Allen, stick to the plan of drafting and developing our own guy and draft someone like Mason Rudolph in the mid first and go that route.

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think he was just a little over hyped

IIRC when his injury occurred, they canceled the rest of practice.  Seemed like they lost a substantial part of their team in their own minds(not outside hype or over hype).  Could have been because of the severity of the injury, i heard it was gruesome but it could have been to let the team emotionally recover.  I thought they were supposedly picked to be contenders that year but when he went down their season was over before it began.

On 7/15/2017 at 4:30 AM, win4ever said:

The worst part about that is, Enunwa was left on the practice squad for most of the year, open for another team plucking him off, which shows the vote of confidence they had on him.

I never understood how they could pick all 12 guys, when there just isn't that much room to fit all these new guys in.  I can understand passing on QB, Geno looked improved the last 4 games, and I could see them leaning away, since he did play with horrible receivers.  The one thing I have no idea how to explain is why in God's name did we pick Pryor? He made no sense whatsoever.  We needed a FS (with Dix still on the board) and we picked this idiot?  Cooks or Dix there was the obvious choice.  Then Jace Amaro over Allen Robinson, Moncrief?  Amaro can't block much at all, so basically he's a WR in a TE's body, so why would we pick him over Robinson or Moncrief?

I still don't get how someone rated Amaro over Robinson.  Amaro ran a 4.6 at his pro day, while Robinson ran a 4.47.  Robinson's vertical, 3 cone, broad jump, shuttle, everything blows him away.  I get the curve for TE's if they can block at all because that's a different dimension.  However, ones that can't block are just glorified receivers.  I can understand someone like Evan Engram going high because he's a glorified receiver, but at least he can run fast and is much more mobile than some guy like Amaro.  Idzik had the same fascination with David Nelson.  Let's put a big slow guy out there that any LB on the opposing team can out run.  

Idzik failed that year at an incredible pace.  He picked Milliner and that sucked because of injuries.  But I can't blame him for that because the pick made sense, we had a need, and he was a top rated corner and athlete.  I can't blame him for not seeing the injury history.  However, his 2014 draft might have been one of the worst performances ever by a GM.  He did everything right in adding the picks and then got schooled.  

Dix/Robinson or Cooks/Robinson and Idzik is still the GM, IMO.  

Agree with almost all of this, but it happens. People get awestruck by a prospect and see things that sometimes aren't there. It's not really right to line up combine results when they're totally differently-built players. If they wanted to train Amaro to block more like a TE at this next level, he wouldn't have been limited by his size/strength where Richardson - some 50 lbs lighter and surely couldn't toss up 225 lbs 28 times - would have. I'm nobody's draft expert, but his cone and shuttle times were both noticeably better than Jimmy Graham's. His pro day 40 (4.60 avg, with a best time of 4.50) was better than Gronkowski's (4.68). Still, he was a total bust, because he sucks at football not because his combine results were worse than that of a WR. I'll bet almost every (drafted) TE's combine results are worse than almost every drafted WR's results. It's why teams go nuts over one when they put up WR times (e.g. Vernon Davis).

After we took Amaro, but still before Robinson, Seattle drafted Paul Richardson. Then after GB took Devante Adams, Denver drafted Cody Latimer. Seattle and Denver.

Before the Jets' 2nd round pick, Houston (guess-who was their lead scout) drafted a garbage guard in Su'a-Filo. They also passed on Carr themselves, even though they'd just ended the Matt Schaub era, brought back Case Keenum, and picked up Ryan Mallett, plus Ryan Fitzpatrick to be Mallett's backup.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with almost all of this, but it happens. People get awestruck by a prospect and see things that sometimes aren't there. It's not really right to line up combine results when they're totally differently-built players. If they wanted to train Amaro to block more like a TE at this next level, he wouldn't have been limited by his size/strength where Richardson - some 50 lbs lighter and surely couldn't toss up 225 lbs 28 times - would have. I'm nobody's draft expert, but his cone and shuttle times were both noticeably better than Jimmy Graham's. His pro day 40 (4.60 avg, with a best time of 4.50) was better than Gronkowski's (4.68). Still, he was a total bust, because he sucks at football not because his combine results were worse than that of a WR. I'll bet almost every (drafted) TE's combine results are worse than almost every drafted WR's results. It's why teams go nuts over one when they put up WR times (e.g. Vernon Davis).

After we took Amaro, but still before Robinson, Seattle drafted Paul Richardson. Then after GB took Devante Adams, Denver drafted Cody Latimer. Seattle and Denver.

Before the Jets' 2nd round pick, Houston (guess-who was their lead scout) drafted a garbage guard in Su'a-Filo. They also passed on Carr themselves, even though they'd just ended the Matt Schaub era, brought back Case Keenum, and picked up Ryan Mallett, plus Ryan Fitzpatrick to be Mallett's backup.

I had heard that they decided to pass on Carr only because of his older brother and the backlash that would have ensued if Carr didnt pan out.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Teeny tiny hands

Going after Bridgewater would be a very Jets thing to do.

But seriously. In the scenario where we couldn't draft a top light QB prospect in the upcoming draft, and Hack shows he isn't the answer, I wouldn't be against that move. The Jets have to figure out something at the QB position...

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the biggest difference between Gronk and Amaro was that, Gronk was a good blocker even in college, so there wasn't much of a transition needed.  Amaro was a horrible blocker, and spent most of his time at WR.  Not only that, he ran a limited route tree at college because of the system, so he had the same issues that someone like Chad Hansen faces with the need to learn all the routes, even from the slot.  I think TE should be graded on a curve based on their blocking skills, but we seemed to miss that completely.  Someone like Legget is pretty close to Amaro (slower) but with better hands, and he dropped much further this year, mainly because he wasn't the featured receiver on his offense.  

My issue with the whole thing was that, they drafted a glorified receiver.  If Amaro had been a good blocker in college, where he came from a traditional system, I would have been completely fine with the pick because we were thin at that position too.  However, we pretty much had no one at WR besides Decker, and we ignored it in the deepest draft going after a guy that you really had to stretch to think he would make the transition to an in-line blocker.  If they picked say Latimore, and he failed, I would be able to live with it better because at least they made the right decision.  I don't blame Idzik for the Milliner pick, because it was a need pick and the top rated guy by most people at the position.  The WR position was different that year, because you could get a top tier guy later than usual because of the depth.  Someone like Cooks goes top 10 in this year's draft, and Allen Robinson definitely goes in the first round.  And when they made picks, it was guys rated much lower as well.  Saunders wasn't projected anywhere near where he was picked, neither was Evans.  Same thing with Pryor, because he was a hard hitting SS in a league cutting down on hard hits and relying more and more on passing.  If Dix was picked and he fell on his face, I would at least understand the logic behind the pick because it made sense at the time.  

That was a weird draft for QBs because things fell differently than usual.  I have no idea why Houston passed on Carr, because it fell to them perfectly.  Clowney was a prospect they couldn't pass up, kinda reminded me of the Bush/Williams draft where they went with Williams.  I think the issue there was that O'Brien fell in love with Mallet while being on the Pats and thought he was a hidden gem he could mold.  He was wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived