Panthers GM Gettleman Fired

C Mart

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

7/17/17, 12:27 PM

The #Panthers announced GM Dave Gettleman has been fired. Wow.

There had been rumblings that all was not well with Gettleman and owner Jerry Richardson stemming from allowing star CB Josh Norman to walk.

The timing is nuts. #Panthers people were all on vacation. GM Dave Gettleman returns… & finds himself as a former GM. Camp starts in a week

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, whodeawhodat said:

Drafting Cam Newton with the #1 pick only gets you so many years of goodwill i guess.

They had a good D, good running game, good tight end.   Just odd.  And, why let him do the draft and then get fired?   Odd.

Just now, C Mart said:

He wasn't in Carolina for Newton's pick 

wow did he start the year after, 2012? if so, he hasnt been stellar since 2012.

2012 NFL Draft[edit]

Round # Pick # Overall Pick # Player Position College
1 9 9 Luke Kuechly Linebacker Boston College
2 8 40 Amini Silatolu Guard Midwestern State
4 8 103 Frank Alexander Defensive End Oklahoma
4 9 104 Joe Adams Wide Receiver Arkansas
5 8 143 Josh Norman Cornerback Coastal Carolina
6 37 207 Brad Nortman Punter Wisconsin
7 9 216 D.J. Campbell Free Safety California

2013 NFL Draft[edit]

1 14 14 Star Lotulelei Defensive Tackle Utah
2 12 44 Kawann Short Defensive Tackle Purdue
4 11 108 Edmund Kugbila Offensive Guard Valdosta State
5 15 148 A.J. Klein Linebacker Iowa State
6 14 182 Kenjon Barner Running Back Oregon

2014 NFL Draft[edit]

1 28 28 Kelvin Benjamin Wide Receiver Florida State
2 28 60 Kony Ealy Defensive End Missouri
3 28 92 Trai Turner Offensive Guard LSU
4 28 128 Tre Boston Safety North Carolina
5 8 148 Bene Benwikere Cornerback San Jose State
6 28 204 Tyler Gaffney Running Back Stanford

2015 NFL Draft[edit]

1 25 25 Shaq Thompson Linebacker Washington
2 9 41 Devin Funchess Wide Receiver Michigan
4 3 102 Daryl Williams Offensive Tackle Oklahoma
4 33 169 David Mayo Linebacker Texas State
5 38 174 Cameron Artis-Payne Running Back Auburn

2016 NFL Draft[edit]

1 31 31 Vernon Butler Defensive Tackle LA Tech
2 31 62 James Bradberry Cornerback Samford
3 14 77 Daryl Worley Cornerback West Virginia
5 2 141 Zack Sanchez Cornerback Oklahoma
7 31 252 Beau Sandland Tight End Montana State

46 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

The timing is very odd

Lots of reasons why this could have happened at this time.

A sensible theory is that he was told he had to right the ship after last year and with TC about to start they are looking at a team they feel is no better off than last year. Dismissing him now gives an interim GM time to make some last minute FA activity and set up for next year's draft. 

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

Panthers fire GM; ex-players elated on Twitter

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F0717%2F

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Dave Gettleman effective immediately, the team announced Monday.

The move comes nine days before the Panthers are scheduled to report to training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The team offered no immediate reason for Gettleman's dismissal.

Gettleman parted ways with several of Carolina's all-time best players in wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback Josh Norman.

Williams, Smith, the Panthers' all-time leading wide receiver (12,197 yards), and Norman, who was released during the 2016 offseason after making the Pro Bowl in 2016, all responded to Gettleman's dismissal on Twitter.

Williams, currently a free agent, had recently told ESPN's Adam Schefter that there were four teams he would not consider playing for -- the Dallas CowboysJacksonville JaguarsCleveland Browns and the Panthers. Carolina apparently is now an option again in Williams' mind with Gettleman's firing.

The Panthers were 40-23-1 under Gettleman's leadership, making the playoffs each season from 2013 to 2015, with the general manager being instrumental in the Panthers' going 15-1 and reaching the Super Bowl during the 2015 season. But Carolina took a step back last season, going 6-10 and finishing last in the NFC South.

"After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as general manager," team owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. "I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed."

Only four teams -- the New England PatriotsSeattle SeahawksDenver Broncos and Green Bay Packers -- won more playoff games than the Panthers (three victories) did in Dave Gettleman's four seasons.

Whoever is hired to replace Gettleman will be the third general manager whom head coach Ron Rivera will have worked with, as he was already in his position when Gettleman was hired.

Gettleman has more than 30 years of NFL experience, mostly in scouting departments with the Buffalo BillsDenver Broncos and New York Giants.

Apparently he's not the most well liked which tells me he does his job objectively. SIGN HIM UP to our Front OFFICE and don't let him interact with players or their agents - he'd be invaluable resource for the draft process and gaging player value and when to walk away. 

Gettleman was hired the same year as Idzik in 2013 and also inherited a defensive minded HC and had gone 40-23-1 w/a NFC Championship and a SB appearance. 

19 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Lots of reasons why this could have happened at this time.

A sensible theory is that he was told he had to right the ship after last year and with TC about to start they are looking at a team they feel is no better off than last year. Dismissing him now gives an interim GM time to make some last minute FA activity and set up for next year's draft. 

If that was the case, wouldnt you do it before that draft? I have seen new GMs draft with previous GMs scouting depts but rarely see a GM get clipped during the time between the draft and TC.

I think the Jets need more smart people.

Hire Gettleman to be Head of Football Operations. He brought a team to the Super Bowl.   That's good enough for me.  Let him and Mac hash out draft picks.

Right now Macc gets to listen to Bowles, his coaches and Woody.  The Jets need another adult.

I said the same thing with Dorsey.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

Panthers fire GM; ex-players elated on Twitter

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2017%2F0717%2F

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Dave Gettleman effective immediately, the team announced Monday.

The move comes nine days before the Panthers are scheduled to report to training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

The team offered no immediate reason for Gettleman's dismissal.

Gettleman parted ways with several of Carolina's all-time best players in wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback Josh Norman.

Williams, Smith, the Panthers' all-time leading wide receiver (12,197 yards), and Norman, who was released during the 2016 offseason after making the Pro Bowl in 2016, all responded to Gettleman's dismissal on Twitter.

Williams, currently a free agent, had recently told ESPN's Adam Schefter that there were four teams he would not consider playing for -- the Dallas CowboysJacksonville JaguarsCleveland Browns and the Panthers. Carolina apparently is now an option again in Williams' mind with Gettleman's firing.

The Panthers were 40-23-1 under Gettleman's leadership, making the playoffs each season from 2013 to 2015, with the general manager being instrumental in the Panthers' going 15-1 and reaching the Super Bowl during the 2015 season. But Carolina took a step back last season, going 6-10 and finishing last in the NFC South.

"After much thought and a long evaluation of our football operations, I have decided to relieve Dave Gettleman of his duties as general manager," team owner Jerry Richardson said in a statement. "I want to thank Dave for the role he played in our success over the past four seasons. While the timing of this decision is not ideal, a change is needed."

Only four teams -- the New England PatriotsSeattle SeahawksDenver Broncos and Green Bay Packers -- won more playoff games than the Panthers (three victories) did in Dave Gettleman's four seasons.

Whoever is hired to replace Gettleman will be the third general manager whom head coach Ron Rivera will have worked with, as he was already in his position when Gettleman was hired.

Gettleman has more than 30 years of NFL experience, mostly in scouting departments with the Buffalo BillsDenver Broncos and New York Giants.

I love that this is posted right below ThaDude's post that says he should be a candidate to replace Mac.  It's just so....fitting.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets need more smart people.

Hire Gettleman to be Head of Football Operations. He brought a team to the Super Bowl.   That's good enough for me.  Let him and Mac hash out draft picks.

Right now Macc gets to listen to Bowles, his coaches and Woody.  The Jets need another adult.

I said the same thing with Dorsey.

No. The pick (Newton) that was made before he got there dragged the lifeless corpse of a sh*t roster Gettleman put together by having an insane MVP season.  Then the team got worse because of Gettleman's stupid decisions and Newton couldn't replicate the ridiculous year he had before and the roster was exposed.  He's garbage.  

4 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

wow did he start the year after, 2012? if so, he hasnt been stellar since 2012.

He's no John Idzik.  I am curious if they promote Asst GM Brandon Beane who I know personally. He went to UNCW and was an intern at my firm in 1996. 

So he didn't draft well, let his star players go,  never surrounded Cam with better players and the team, ownership etc hate him

This is all it takes for a jets fanbase to covet him as a replacement for a better GM, to become head of football operations or to be called another smart guy in the room who should somehow be in anyone's ring of honor.

You can't make this shlt up.  

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

If that was the case, wouldnt you do it before that draft? I have seen new GMs draft with previous GMs scouting depts but rarely see a GM get clipped during the time between the draft and TC.

Maybe. He may have convinced ownership that he had a clear plan to proceed and they gave him a chance but then he came up empty upgrading the roster. 

56 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He's no John Idzik.  I am curious if they promote Asst GM Brandon Beane who I know personally. He went to UNCW and was an intern at my firm in 1996. 

Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.

To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers suffered through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they went to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is a respected talent evaluator who drafted well in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Related: Panthers

Source: panthers.com 
Jul 17 - 12:28 PM

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.

To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers suffered through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they went to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is a respected talent evaluator who drafted well in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Related: Panthers

Source: panthers.com 
Jul 17 - 12:28 PM

You have to do more than draft well.  You have to manage the contracts, free agents, etc.

I think this is a job that requires more than one head.

Examining why Panthers parted ways with Dave Gettleman

CHARLOTTE -- On a Monday night in February 2016, Dave Gettleman was the toast of Super Bowl 50. Standing in the middle of an arena in San Jose, the lifelong scout-turned-general manager soaked in a Media Night spotlight that beamed brightly on the then 17-1 Panthers.

Just 17 months later, the foundation of that shine remains, but Gettleman is gone.

The decision by Owner/Founder Jerry Richardson to dismiss his GM a week before training camp is a shocker that raises plenty of questions. The biggest: why?

To be clear, none of the reasoning you’re about to read is straight from Richardson's mouth to my ears. It's all based on my observations over the past few years.

Also, it's impossible to ignore the wealth of good Gettleman did after coming to Carolina in January 2013. During his four seasons in charge, the Panthers went 43-26-1 with three straight NFC South titles, a résumé made even more impressive by the fact he improved the team's salary cap.

But while it's easy to assume differently, most organizations aren't as black and white as the results they produce on the field. So what seems like a sudden, stunning decision is something that truly started spreading roots shortly after the Panthers returned from their Super Bowl loss to the Broncos.

In the months that followed, Richardson had to have been concerned about how the roster was taking shape. There was little depth on the offensive line, and a week before the draft, Gettleman stunned the entire league by rescinding the franchise tag he placed on Josh Norman.

Despite Gettleman's reasoning, replacing a Pro Bowl cornerback and the retiring Charles Tillman with rookies was an almost impossible way to defend an NFC championship. The ramifications intensified when Gettleman wasn’t able to turn the money earmarked for Norman into a deal with a member of the Panthers' core.

Contract talks either stalled or never started with players in line for eventual extensions, most notably defensive tackle Kawann Short, guard Trai Turner and defensive end Mario Addison. Turner and Addison then improved their stock dramatically in 2016, which meant Richardson had to write a larger check to keep Addison. Turner, meanwhile, is still waiting for a long-term deal that could make him one of the highest-paid interior linemen in the league.

Of course, none of those reasons fully explain Monday’s decision, and they don't answer why a change was made now. One presumable significant crack in the foundation began two months ago.

When Brandon Beane left for Buffalo, Gettleman lost a key member of his team who had performed many day-to-day functions of a GM, a role that allowed Gettleman to focus on roster building. In many ways, the fallout appeared similar to some of the stories that came out of Kansas City after the Chiefs parted with GM John Dorsey.

Like Dorsey, Gettleman's expertise is as a talent evaluator. Despite some misses, he batted well over .500 in the draft, and he did a tremendous job filling in pieces around the spine of a roster built by previous GM Marty Hurney. But Gettleman was a dyed-in-the-wool scout/general manager who had little experience managing people.

But if there was a final straw, it likely happened over the past few weeks.

Gettleman deserves a ton of credit for making tough decisions that many in his chair wouldn’t have made. Cutting Steve Smith, while messy, ended up working out for both sides. So did the DeAngelo Williams release. And to his credit, Richardson didn’t meddle. He gave his top football guy the rope to make those and a handful of other controversial calls. But no GM has unlimited rope.

Odds are Gettleman further alienated key veterans by how he handled extension requests this summer from Greg Olsen and Thomas Davis. It’s not hard to imagine that Gettleman’s blunt approach was irksome to Richardson, especially if it involved Davis. No player has exemplified what he wants his franchise to represent more than 13-year veteran. So when Gettleman and Davis were unable to get on the same page about how and when to get a deal done, Gettleman ran out of rope.

I’ve often told Gettleman I'd never want to be in his chair. NFL GMs have impossible jobs that rarely end well. On the surface, this decision seems sudden, but such is life in an unpredictable business where oftentimes things just don’t work out.

Hire him as the football czar.  Bowles and McCags report to him. He reports to Woody - and by report to Woody, I mean he shoots woody an email once every 4 weeks with a one paragraph status update on how things are at Florham Park. Maybe something like this. 

Hi Woody,

Things here are good, we had bagels on Friday.  I let the admin staff leave at 4pn because traffic was bad and they have been very productive since you left.  Coach Bowels was let go 2 weeks ago and I replaced him with one of the flight crew girls who blew me in the press box.  I hope you are doing well in the UK.  Don't call here, we have your cell phone blocked. I hope you choke on a spotted dick.

Toodles,

Davey G.

Archived