Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C Mart

Panthers GM Gettleman Fired

135 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

wow did he start the year after, 2012? if so, he hasnt been stellar since 2012.

He's no John Idzik.  I am curious if they promote Asst GM Brandon Beane who I know personally. He went to UNCW and was an intern at my firm in 1996. 

17 minutes ago, tfine said:

But wait I thought if your going to fire the GM you have to fire the coach. That's the way every team does it except for the Jets....

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Really?  Carolina fired Rivera?  

So he didn't draft well, let his star players go,  never surrounded Cam with better players and the team, ownership etc hate him

This is all it takes for a jets fanbase to covet him as a replacement for a better GM, to become head of football operations or to be called another smart guy in the room who should somehow be in anyone's ring of honor.

You can't make this shlt up.  

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He's no John Idzik.  I am curious if they promote Asst GM Brandon Beane who I know personally. He went to UNCW and was an intern at my firm in 1996. 

Uhh..Beane is the GM of the Bills.

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

If that was the case, wouldnt you do it before that draft? I have seen new GMs draft with previous GMs scouting depts but rarely see a GM get clipped during the time between the draft and TC.

Maybe. He may have convinced ownership that he had a clear plan to proceed and they gave him a chance but then he came up empty upgrading the roster. 

56 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.

To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers suffered through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they went to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is a respected talent evaluator who drafted well in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Related: Panthers

Source: panthers.com 
Jul 17 - 12:28 PM

This makes no sense, they let their#2 guy walk

I wonder if he got caught doing something naughty

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Panthers fired GM Dave Gettleman.

To call this move shocking would be an understatement. The Panthers suffered through a disappointing 6-10 season in 2016, but they went to the playoffs in Gettleman's other three years in charge including a Super Bowl berth in 2015. Gettleman is a respected talent evaluator who drafted well in Carolina. All of that suggests something behind the scenes prompted this move. It is worth noting star TE Greg Olsen has thrown around the idea of a holdout, LB Thomas Davis is entering his contract year, and Gettleman did not handle the departures of either Steve Smith or Josh Norman particularly well, a fact NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports bothered owner Jerry Richardson. Brandon Beane, who likely would have been the top in-house replacement, accepted the Bills' GM job in May.
Related: Panthers

Source: panthers.com 
Jul 17 - 12:28 PM

You have to do more than draft well.  You have to manage the contracts, free agents, etc.

I think this is a job that requires more than one head.

Examining why Panthers parted ways with Dave Gettleman

CHARLOTTE -- On a Monday night in February 2016, Dave Gettleman was the toast of Super Bowl 50. Standing in the middle of an arena in San Jose, the lifelong scout-turned-general manager soaked in a Media Night spotlight that beamed brightly on the then 17-1 Panthers.

Just 17 months later, the foundation of that shine remains, but Gettleman is gone.

The decision by Owner/Founder Jerry Richardson to dismiss his GM a week before training camp is a shocker that raises plenty of questions. The biggest: why?

To be clear, none of the reasoning you’re about to read is straight from Richardson's mouth to my ears. It's all based on my observations over the past few years.

Also, it's impossible to ignore the wealth of good Gettleman did after coming to Carolina in January 2013. During his four seasons in charge, the Panthers went 43-26-1 with three straight NFC South titles, a résumé made even more impressive by the fact he improved the team's salary cap.

But while it's easy to assume differently, most organizations aren't as black and white as the results they produce on the field. So what seems like a sudden, stunning decision is something that truly started spreading roots shortly after the Panthers returned from their Super Bowl loss to the Broncos.

In the months that followed, Richardson had to have been concerned about how the roster was taking shape. There was little depth on the offensive line, and a week before the draft, Gettleman stunned the entire league by rescinding the franchise tag he placed on Josh Norman.

Despite Gettleman's reasoning, replacing a Pro Bowl cornerback and the retiring Charles Tillman with rookies was an almost impossible way to defend an NFC championship. The ramifications intensified when Gettleman wasn’t able to turn the money earmarked for Norman into a deal with a member of the Panthers' core.

Contract talks either stalled or never started with players in line for eventual extensions, most notably defensive tackle Kawann Short, guard Trai Turner and defensive end Mario Addison. Turner and Addison then improved their stock dramatically in 2016, which meant Richardson had to write a larger check to keep Addison. Turner, meanwhile, is still waiting for a long-term deal that could make him one of the highest-paid interior linemen in the league.

Of course, none of those reasons fully explain Monday’s decision, and they don't answer why a change was made now. One presumable significant crack in the foundation began two months ago.

When Brandon Beane left for Buffalo, Gettleman lost a key member of his team who had performed many day-to-day functions of a GM, a role that allowed Gettleman to focus on roster building. In many ways, the fallout appeared similar to some of the stories that came out of Kansas City after the Chiefs parted with GM John Dorsey.

Like Dorsey, Gettleman's expertise is as a talent evaluator. Despite some misses, he batted well over .500 in the draft, and he did a tremendous job filling in pieces around the spine of a roster built by previous GM Marty Hurney. But Gettleman was a dyed-in-the-wool scout/general manager who had little experience managing people.

But if there was a final straw, it likely happened over the past few weeks.

Gettleman deserves a ton of credit for making tough decisions that many in his chair wouldn’t have made. Cutting Steve Smith, while messy, ended up working out for both sides. So did the DeAngelo Williams release. And to his credit, Richardson didn’t meddle. He gave his top football guy the rope to make those and a handful of other controversial calls. But no GM has unlimited rope.

Odds are Gettleman further alienated key veterans by how he handled extension requests this summer from Greg Olsen and Thomas Davis. It’s not hard to imagine that Gettleman’s blunt approach was irksome to Richardson, especially if it involved Davis. No player has exemplified what he wants his franchise to represent more than 13-year veteran. So when Gettleman and Davis were unable to get on the same page about how and when to get a deal done, Gettleman ran out of rope.

I’ve often told Gettleman I'd never want to be in his chair. NFL GMs have impossible jobs that rarely end well. On the surface, this decision seems sudden, but such is life in an unpredictable business where oftentimes things just don’t work out.

Hire him as the football czar.  Bowles and McCags report to him. He reports to Woody - and by report to Woody, I mean he shoots woody an email once every 4 weeks with a one paragraph status update on how things are at Florham Park. Maybe something like this. 

Hi Woody,

Things here are good, we had bagels on Friday.  I let the admin staff leave at 4pn because traffic was bad and they have been very productive since you left.  Coach Bowels was let go 2 weeks ago and I replaced him with one of the flight crew girls who blew me in the press box.  I hope you are doing well in the UK.  Don't call here, we have your cell phone blocked. I hope you choke on a spotted dick.

Toodles,

Davey G.

5 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Hire him as the football czar.  Bowles and McCags report to him. He reports to Woody - and by report to Woody, I mean he shoots woody an email once every 4 weeks with a one paragraph status update on how things are at Florham Park. Maybe something like this. 

Hi Woody,

Things here are good, we had bagels on Friday.  I let the admin staff leave at 4pn because traffic was bad and they have been very productive since you left.  Coach Bowels was let go 2 weeks ago and I replaced him with one of the flight crew girls who blew me in the press box.  I hope you are doing well in the UK.  Don't call here, we have your cell phone blocked. I hope you choke on a spotted dick.

Toodles,

Davey G.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Uhh..Beane is the GM of the Bills.

Wow....   I had no idea.   It's an amazing story.   The kid was raised in the middle of a small town in NC.   HIs sister and I worked  at  a large CPA firm where he did intern work.

WOW.....    no wonder I haven't seen him around.  

So they fire a guy who DID NOT want to extend a 34 yo OLB and a 32 yo TE who already re-did his deal two years ago. 

Gettleman made the tough decisions to keep the Panthers from Cap hell (i.e., NOT resigning old vets to new deals, not being extorted Revis-ed to overpay for a CB in Norman, etc.) and drafted rather well IMHO, despite what others here think. 

He traded Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason to the Giants in 2013, then cut wideout Steve Smith, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, before the 2014 season. Gettleman cut running back DeAngelo Williams, the team’s all-time leading rusher, a year later, then rescinded Josh Norman’s franchise-tag contract for the 2016, which would have paid the All-Pro cornerback $13.952 million. 

While Gettleman was in charge of the roster for three consecutive playoff berths in 2013-15, the most successful three-year stretch in franchise history, his blunt management style and those personnel moves created a divide between players and the front office, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Late nights with Dave Gettleman prepared Brandon Beane for ‘good landing spot’ in Buffalo

Late nights with Dave Gettleman prepared Brandon Beane for ‘good landing spot’ in Buffalo

If Woody Johnson has 1/2 brain, he'd hire this guy to join the Front Office staff. He made the hard decisions of knowing WHEN to let go aging vets who were NOT worth their self-appointed price tags. Better to cut a year early than being locked into a contract and the veteran player can no longer produce (see Faneca, Revis, Curtis Martin contract, Marvin Jones extension etc.)

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So they fire a guy who DID NOT want to extend a 34 yo OLB and a 32 yo TE who already re-did his deal two years ago. 

Gettleman made the tough decisions to keep the Panthers from Cap hell (i.e., NOT resigning old vets to new deals, not being extorted Revis-ed to overpay for a CB in Norman, etc.) and drafted rather well IMHO, despite what others here think. 

He traded Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason to the Giants in 2013, then cut wideout Steve Smith, the franchise’s all-time leading receiver, before the 2014 season. Gettleman cut running back DeAngelo Williams, the team’s all-time leading rusher, a year later, then rescinded Josh Norman’s franchise-tag contract for the 2016, which would have paid the All-Pro cornerback $13.952 million. 

While Gettleman was in charge of the roster for three consecutive playoff berths in 2013-15, the most successful three-year stretch in franchise history, his blunt management style and those personnel moves created a divide between players and the front office, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

If Woody Johnson has 1/2 brain, he'd hire this guy to join the Front Office staff. 

He's done nothing but watch Cam Newton drag his horrible rosters to whatever he can manage.  Oh, and the players f*cking hate him.  Want no part of the guy that drafted Devin Funchess in the 2nd and a RB 8th overall.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No. The pick (Newton) that was made before he got there dragged the lifeless corpse of a sh*t roster Gettleman put together by having an insane MVP season.  Then the team got worse because of Gettleman's stupid decisions and Newton couldn't replicate the ridiculous year he had before and the roster was exposed.  He's garbage.  

59 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's done nothing but watch Cam Newton drag his horrible rosters to whatever he can manage.  Oh, and the players f*cking hate him.  Want no part of the guy that drafted Devin Funchess in the first and a RB 8th overall.

This is a sickness.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a sickness.

I'd think that wanting to replace a GM you think is sh*tty with another sh*tty GM is more of a sickness, but that's just me.

Wanna make an argument for Dorsey?  Fine.  I love that guy.  Gettleman?  He sucks big fat donkey d*ck.

47 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I find it comical that his "horrible rosters" have yielded EXCELLENT defensive players that are All Pros and one of the more formidable in the league and the last few years he focused on drafting offensive players: WRs (Benjamin, Funchess who was a  2nd ROUND pick, NOT a 1st rounder) and RBs (Barner, Gaffney, Artis-PAyne) to HELP the QB who apparently was carrying the team all by himself.

The only players that "hate him" are the ones he cut because he didn't acquiesce to THEIR contract demands. 

He may not be the most "kind" GM, but all he did was cut aging vets who wanted MORE than they were WORTH and were bitter: Smith, Williams, Beason, etc. He made the necessary decisions an executive HAS to make. The players hate him because he did his job and didn't get sentimental about it like some pu$$y millennial or how I was over David Harris a month ago. He makes practical football decisions in an objective manner that won't OVERPAY for aging talent. 

HIRE THIS MAN WOODY. Gentleman will help GET the job done. 

So he reached on two WRs who, outside of Benjamin's one solid year, haven't lived up to expectations (you were right about Funchess, thought he was a 1st), and 3RBs who couldn't get the job done as a committee, let alone as feature backs, so he had to draft one 8th overall and all of a sudden that's "helping"???  Helping only works if the guys you draft are, you know, good.

Btw, letting loyal and talented players who can still produce (Norman, Williams, Smith) walk while pissing off current guys (Olsen) is kind of a really bad f*cking look for a GM.  He handled the Norman situation as bad as anyone handled anything in the last decade.

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I'd think that wanting to replace a GM you think is sh*tty with another sh*tty GM is more of a sickness but that's just me.

He built a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. If you think this conversation needs to continue beyond that, you are in legitimate need of professional help.

He also drafted Funchess in the 2nd, not the 1st, which is notable only in that you of all people making "spent a 2 on a sh*tty Big Ten receiver" a criterion for terrible GMing is an absolute ******* lollercoaster. 

Cam kind of sucks.

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So he reached on two WRs who, outside of Benjamin's one solid year, haven't lived up to expectations (you were right about Funchess, thought he was a 1st), and 3RBs who couldn't get the job done as a committee, let alone as feature backs, so he had to draft one 8th overall and all of a sudden that's "helping"???  Helping only works if the guys you draft are, you know, good.

Btw, letting loyal and talented players who can still produce (Norman, Williams, Smith) walk while pissing off current guys (Olsen) is kind of a really bad f*cking look for a GM.  He handled the Norman situation as bad as anyone handled anything in the last decade.

Come on man, don't be so dense - you're better than that. I love how you critique his offensive player picks and completely neglect the DINGERS! he hit on his defensive selections. 

Gettleman was building a STACKED defense - Keuchly, Star Lotuleile, Kawaan Short, Norman, Aj Klein, Kony Ealy (SB record sacks holder and traded to NE instead of signing to a LT extension), CB Benwikere, OLB Shaq Thompson (Dave Thomas' replacement, thus axing Thomas vet $$ extension), Vernon Butler who i LOVED last year. The guy has had SOLID drafts - Velveeta Gold! compared to our Jets' draft history for juxtaposition - and built a SB contender with a good Cap situation when he inherited HELL from Hurney. Rivera wasn't complaining, I'm sure. 

He KNEW he had the Franchise QB, let the Superman carry the load for a while while I cater to the HC's specialty of defense - and he did. Unlike our GMs, Gentleman still selected Brandon Marshall-esque WRs (Funchess & Benji) and OL and RBs in the later rounds to compliment Newton. Again, if you have a Franchise QB: He can and WILL carry the load while you build the REST of the team around him and a defense. The planned worked and they were in the Super Bowl with in 4 years. 

His strength is the typical fan weakness (myself included every now & then) and what Jerry Richardson let ruin his sound judgement in deciding to fire Gettleman: SENTIMENTALITY OVER FISCAL PRUDENCE. We've suffered from that for YEARS here w/the Jets and finally have decided to cut the fat. Gettleman should join the Jets front office. I never said as GM, but he should be a material voice in that organizational chart. 

SIGN GETTLEMAN to our Head of Scouting YESTERDAY!!!!!!

as someone who lives in Charlotte I watched this guy build this team. He did a great job as he inherited a mess. He made tough decisions on veterans much the same way the Patriots do. Get rid of them a bit early rather than late. In my 45 years plus of being a Jet fan I have not seen the Jets have a better GM. OTOH the Giants passed him over as well for their job....

59 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He built a 15-1 team that went to the Super Bowl. If you think this conversation needs to continue beyond that, you are in legitimate need of professional help.

He also drafted Funchess in the 2nd, not the 1st, which is notable only in that you of all people making "spent a 2 on a sh*tty Big Ten receiver" a criterion for terrible GMing is an absolute ******* lollercoaster. 

Tannenbaum built a roster that went to back to back AFC championship games.  Trent Baalke built a roster that went to the Super Bowl.  Where are those guys now?  Talk about a stupid f*cking argument.  By all means, keep talking about "lollercoasters".

Unlike you, I don't give a flying f*ck about the conference the player came from so you can quit fetishising it like it makes a god damn difference.  Players come from big programs and small.  Conference measn sh*t.  

I admitted to being wrong about Funchess is draft position, but like a fly to sh*t you somehow had to bring up Devin Smith like it meant a damn thing.  Funchess was overdrafted, has completely underperformed, was a bad pick, and your only rebuttal is to bring up Devin Smith?  He has nothing to f*cking do with another guy being over drafted.  

Gettleman's handling of the Norman situation was "the Broncos forgot to fax papers on Dumervil" levels of stupid, and long-time players of the franchise f*cking hate the guy.  Their secondary sucks (thanks to him), their d-line is good, and their offense can't seem to put it together with their.  Sound familiar?

You don't fire a sh*tty GM to hire another sh*tty GM.

BOY GOLLY GUYS LETS BRING THIS GUY IN TO BE THE LEADER OF OUR ORGANIZATION:

NFL

FORMER PANTHERS LB JON BEASON SAYS DAVE GETTLEMAN ACCUSED HIM OF FAKING INJURY

Jon-Beason-071717-USNews-Getty-FTR

Before the Panthers had Luke Kuechly roaming the middle of their defense, Jon Beason was the defensive leader. 

Beason went to three Pro Bowls with the Panthers, who selected him in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft. After his third straight Pro Bowl season in 2010, a September Achilles injury cost Beason all but one game of the 2011 season.

Speaking Monday following the surprising firing of Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman, Beason said Gettleman questioned whether the former linebacker was even injured.

Beason told Charlotte radio station WFNZ Gettleman said there was nothing wrong with his leg and he would play regardless. Despite Gettleman's doubts, Beason did not play the rest of 2011.

Gettleman's firing was celebrated by former Panthers DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith and Josh Norman, who were all unceremoniously shown the door in Carolina by Gettleman. Beason said he was shocked by Gettleman's firing, but does not hold any ill will. 

"I moved on and wished the team well," he told WFNZ. "I was happy for the players to go to the Super Bowl."

Beason's injury led the Panthers to select Kuechly in the first round of the 2012 draft and he was the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year as Beason lost his starting job to Chase Blackburn. Beason was traded to the Giants in 2013 and said Gettleman's firing sort of brings everything "full circle."

"The way that the trade went down between the Giants and the Panthers when I moved on from the Carolina Panthers, it was done in a way that wasn't classy," Beason told CBS Sports. "I didn't want to be the disgruntled player who's saying this, saying that because he was traded. But at the end of the day, you're a first-round pick, you played extremely well for an organization, you're one of the key guys on the team, a new GM comes in and doesn't even give you a handshake on your way out the door.

Beason said there was a disconnect between Gettleman and Panthers coach Ron Rivera, so Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, whom Beason called "Big Cat," stepped in. Beason said the disconnect was with how Gettleman treated players and he and Richardson did not have a great relationship.

"Knowing Big Cat, Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Panthers, he's a guy who will not be dictated to at all," said Beason, who played in just 21 games over three seasons for the Giants before retiring following the 2015 season. "He's very fair. I know that when it comes to being general manager, he wants those guys to just go do their thing. But when he has to step in, at some point, there has to be a level of respect there on both parties. And it can't be, "Hey listen, I'm the GM. I'm running it this way. If you don't like it, let me go.'

"There's guys that are on that team, in that locker room, that basically felt like this is who Gettleman was and he was almost on this ego trip."

Lolololololol but I'm in need of legitimate help.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So he didn't draft well, let his star players go,  ever surrounded Cam with better players and the team, ownership etc hate him

This is all it takes for a jets fanbase to covet him as a replacement for a better GM, to become head of football operations or to be called another smart guy in the room who should somehow be in anyone's ring of honor.

You can't make this shlt up.  

VERY well said.