Does Petty have any shot to win the starting job

AFJF

Does Petty have any shot at winning the starting job?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Can Petty win the starting job?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.  Been saying it for months.  I dont think either young QB is going to take the job by the horns.  The Jets will draft a QB at the top in April.  But Petty has an equal shot to earn the starting role for 2017 as the other two.

There's a chance, though I wouldn't favor him over the other two. I think if he shows he has a handle of the offense and its timing routes (which might be the most difficult thing for him) and demonstrates more playmaking ability than the other two he can win the job. That first one might be too tall an order for him though.

Everyone has a chance to start at some point this year, but Petty is definitely in a distant third.  Regardless of how everyone feels about the opportunity he got last year, the bottom line is that the team has already had a chance to see him, and there was nothing that overly impressed.  That alone makes Hackenberg the much preferred option for the team, if they decide to go with a young guy.  Hack is the unknown one which means both a slight glimmer of hope and the team's desire to know something about him before next offseason/draft.  Meanwhile, if experience starts to play into the decision at all, that's obviously why McCown is here.  Basically the only real scenario Petty finds himself starting would likely be a combination of the Jets deciding to bench McCown (be it for play or health), and the team thinking excessively little of Hack once they've seen him throughout camp and preseason.  The only other exception would be if Petty noticeably stands out above and beyond the others in the next couple of months by a wide margin, but that's not particularly likely.

He has to light up the preseason. He can't just be good like he's been in the past, he has to be undeniable. That means he has to play to his strength which is "the big play" and he has to execute on a level he never has before. 

He's gonna win the starting job and be our starter for he next 12 years and win 6 Super Bowls. 

Petty was drafted in the same round as Cousins was (4th).  I don't think Petty has the same NFL QB skill set that Cousins does.  This was likely another misevaluation by our GM.  Petty was likely a draftable player, but a few rounds down.  I could be wrong, and Petty seems like a great and likeable guy, but I still wonder if he is an NFL QB, particularly a WCO NFL QB.  

Petty did have a pretty impressive college resume.  First Team All America I believe.  Its pretty remarkable that you can go from that to not being prepared for the NFL.  It would be interesting to see if this ultimately has an effect on where QBs go to play.  It may not given that these spread offenses are so much better for college football, and not many teams can or desire to play a pro offense.  

I get the sense that the rest of the league may have learned something from the Jets and when to draft a QB, given where many QBs were drafted in 2017.

Unfortunately, the Jets are a political organization,.  I don't see them doing what the Seattle Seahawks did with Matt Flynn-benching him for Russell Wilson even though Flynn had just signed a large contract.   Petty could end up starting, but it will be by injury/default.  I don't see the Jets giving him a fair shot, even if he had the skill to deserve it.

Can he?  Sure

Will he? Probably not.

The odds are stacked against him for a couple of reasons:

Contract:  Hackenberg is in his second year, which means that if he's good, the Jets will get two seasons of good QB play while getting great value on the contract.  This would of course mean that they have to pay him before his 4th year and get a long term contract.  Petty is in his third year, thus the Jets would only get one good year of under-paid performance (if he's good) thus it makes more financial sense for the Jets to push Hackenberg and give him the shot over Petty if all things are close.   

Style:  Gailey's system was easier to read, and somewhat similar to the college system Petty ran, where he made a lot of reads at the line, and depended on one on one match ups.  It wasn't nearly as wide open, but the QB responsibilities were similar.  Morton most likely won't have the same system, which means he has to learn a new system that is completely different than the one he ran in college and the first two years in the NFL.  

I do think he should be the No. 2 QB on the depth chart because we gain absolutely nothing by starting McCown this year.  

Is Petty even recovered from his torn labrum yet?  I don't think it was his throwing shoulder, so not sure if that will have any effect on his play. I doubt he is the guy. Never liked the player, hated the pick, I think he's soft based on what I remember from him in college.....but I'll gladly eat a bucket of crow if he can be our FQB.

Is Petty even recovered from his torn labrum yet?  I don't think it was his throwing shoulder, so not sure if that will have any effect on his play. I doubt he is the guy. Never liked the player, hated the pick, I think he's soft based on what I remember from him in college.....but I'll gladly eat a bucket of crow if he can be our FQB.

didn't we have another QB with a torn labrum ??? How did that turn out ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/17/2017 at 8:52 PM, AFJF said:

Wondering how many people still have faith in Petty

I dont have faith in Petty, but that's different than saying that he doesnt have a shot. 

His competition is Hackenberg and McCown. It wouldnt be unbelievable if Petty happened to somehow come out the winner. I dont believe that he will, but he has a shot at the starting job. 

Yes Petty can start, but I believe the FO and Coaching staff really want Hack to be the guy. I saw shades of very good QB play in him last year. I could tell he had some butterflies and the game was moving very fast for him. I like his gunslinger style. If the game slows down for him, he'll be OK. That comes with gaming and I'm not sure he'll get the opportunity. He won't be great out of the box but a consistent level of progress is all I'll be looking for.

On July 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I have never seen a qb worse then bryce petty when he played last year.  He was that bad.  He has 0 chance to win the job.

McCown is the qb.  No one else on the roster can play the position.

McCown won the starting job the day he signed

Sure. Why not? 

if Wayne Chrebet can make the team the year when the team drafted Keyshawn 1 overall than literally anything can happen

for Petty those guys in front of him stink out loud. and Mac technically did draft Petty so if that worked out it would be good for this FO. 

On 7/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Mike135 said:

Absolutely.  His competition is a complete unknown in Hack, and a known failure in McCown.

I don't see any reason he can't win the job.

i would rather have petty start than mccown but i just don't see it the cards.  he really needs to step up his pocket awareness and get connected better with his receivers.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i would rather have petty start than mccown but i just don't see it the cards.  he really needs to step up his pocket awareness and get connected better with his receivers.

Agreed, I only want McCown playing if Hack and Petty have both played a bunch of games and failed so much the rest of the team can't develop.

Only then would I play McCown.  Make sure we still lose, but at least be competent enough so the WRs, oline and so on can develop for 2018.

11 hours ago, thadude said:

No Petty sucked to begin with and the new west coast offense Morton uses doesn't suit his skill set

Based on what.

This should be interesting.  Why cant he play in a WCO and what proof do you have of this?  You keep making this simplistic statement without knowing that its true. 

Archived