Does Petty have any shot to win the starting job

AFJF

Does Petty have any shot at winning the starting job?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Can Petty win the starting job?

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sure. Why not? 

if Wayne Chrebet can make the team the year when the team drafted Keyshawn 1 overall than literally anything can happen

for Petty those guys in front of him stink out loud. and Mac technically did draft Petty so if that worked out it would be good for this FO. 

Nobody is going to be that guy?

Fine.  I'll step up.  Chrebet joined the team in 1995, they drafted Keyshawn in 1996. I think Charles Wilson and Ryan Yarborough were the other WRs on that team.  Yuck.  The ol' Poly Prep TE was primarily pumping the ball to Brady, Mitchell and Fred Baxter. Even with all those bodies they still took another TE, Tyrone Davis in the 4th.  WTF?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"can" he win the job? Of course, if he showed up in camp and threw like Aaron Rodgers... but that sh*t's not going to happen. So no, of course. It's McCown or unleash the Hack -- and pray to god you still have a job at the end of the season. 

On 7/20/2017 at 10:11 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody is going to be that guy?

Fine.  I'll step up.  Chrebet joined the team in 1995, they drafted Keyshawn in 1996. I think Charles Wilson and Ryan Yarborough were the other WRs on that team.  Yuck.  The ol' Poly Prep TE was primarily pumping the ball to Brady, Mitchell and Fred Baxter. Even with all those bodies they still took another TE, Tyrone Davis in the 4th.  WTF?

Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg are the Yuck QBs on this team. Petty should have a shot, the guys in front of him are garbage. 

On 7/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, AFJF said:

Wondering how many people still have faith in Petty

None. He was a Tebow. Great numbers in college that don't translate to the NFL where he has a real pass rush to contend with. He likes to see what the d-line is doing more than see who is open downfield. 

On July 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM, bitonti said:

Sure. Why not? 

if Wayne Chrebet can make the team the year when the team drafted Keyshawn 1 overall than literally anything can happen

for Petty those guys in front of him stink out loud. and Mac technically did draft Petty so if that worked out it would be good for this FO. 

Problem is Wayne Chrebet was actually an effective player and looked like one from day 1 in practice

On 7/19/2017 at 0:18 PM, bitonti said:

Sure. Why not? 

Chrebet was a player with talent and drive.

Neither of which Petty showed in his starts a year ago.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Chrebet was a player with talent and drive.

Neither of which Petty showed in his starts a year ago.  

I understand you are a Hackenberg fan boy but there's no need to tear down Bryce Petty. The guy got his ass handed to him last year while Hackenberg watched all clean

how about this since you are such a Hackenberg believer, let's bet money on the outcome.

If he wins the starting job before the Bye week 10 (legitimately, not through injury) i'll donate to a cause of your choice. WHen he doesn't you donate to mine. Like 50$ what do you say? 

My point is that it's one thing to talk its another to back it up with something of consequence. The front office and coaches are going to bet their jobs on Hackenberg when you aren't even comfortable betting 50$ 

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I understand you are a Hackenberg fan boy but there's no need to tear down Bryce Petty. The guy got his ass handed to him last year while Hackenberg watched all clean

how about this since you are such a Hackenberg believer, let's bet money on the outcome.

If he wins the starting job before the Bye week 10 (legitimately, not through injury) i'll donate to a cause of your choice. WHen he doesn't you donate to mine. Like 50$ what do you say? 

My point is that it's one thing to talk its another to back it up with something of consequence. The front office and coaches are going to bet their jobs on Hackenberg when you aren't even comfortable betting 50$ 

Fan boy?  For believing he has a chance and wanting to see in on the field instead of listening to know nothing fans who whine about every Jet draft pick?  Sorry dont see how that makes me a fanboy.  You on the other hand you have been a pure hater talking out of your ass anytime his name comes up.

Nice bet, most QBs fail at a high percentage, never have said its not a possibility.  Only that your tired rant that is a guaranteed fact he will fail is pure BS.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fan boy?  For believing he has a chance and wanting to see in on the field instead of listening to know nothing fans who whine about every Jet draft pick?  Sorry dont see how that makes me a fanboy.  You on the other hand have been a pure hater talking out of your ass.

Nice bet, most QBs fail, never have said its not a possibility.  Only that your tired rant that is a guaranteed fact he will fail is pure BS.

Everyone has a chance. Will you bet on that chance is the question. And the answer appears to be no. If I'm not willing to bet money on an outcome I can't sit here and pretend that's a likely outcome. I hope it happens but that's not the same as predicting what will happen. 

Just now, bitonti said:

Everyone has a chance. Will you bet on that chance is the question. And the answer appears to be no. If I'm not willing to bet money on an outcome I can't sit here and pretend that's a likely outcome. I hope it happens but that's not the same as predicting what will happen. 

Again, you want sucker bets, find one.  Im too smart to bet that a 2nd round QB who I havent seen in a game is a given.  Im not betting because you cant process what someone writes

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Again, you want sucker bets, find one.  Im too smart to bet that a 2nd round QB who I havent seen in a game is a given.  Im not betting because you cant process what someone writes

So to summarize you believe in this player, enough to attack anyone who talks bad about him but you don't believe in him enough to bet one measily dollar on him starting before week 10 over Josh McCown and Bryce Petty

This isn't about the money btw it's about what you really believe. You claim to believe in this player but your actions speak otherwise

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So to summarize you believe in this player, enough to attack anyone who talks bad about him but you don't believe in him enough to bet one measily dollar on him starting before week 10 over Josh McCown and Bryce Petty

This isn't about the money btw it's about what you really believe. You claim to believe in this player but your actions speak otherwise

No, I believe every player has a chance until he proves he cant do it.  Quite different than the story youre peddling and attacking me over.  Ill attack any fool who without seeing any player play a down in a real game tells all hes a waste who will amount to nothing.  That you have a hard time distinguishing one from the other is telling.  Just as thinking that a bet is needed to make some kind of dumb point.  As I said, i believe that your point about Hack is wrong, he has a chance.  No when he will start or wont.  But carry on with your simplistic point

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, I believe every player has a chance until he proves he cant do it. 

Hack proved he couldn't do it when all the Jets QBs were hurt, the season was over, and they went back to Fitz week 17. That's as strong a vote of no confidence I have ever seen. 

BTW he was the only 4th QB in the entire league last year. Teams with FQBs don't even keep a 3rd on the active roster, most only keep 2. The Jets kept 4 and Hack was legitimately the worst of the worst. 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Hack proved he couldn't do it when all the Jets QBs were hurt, the season was over, and they went back to Fitz week 17. That's as strong a vote of no confidence I have ever seen. 

BTW he was the only 4th QB in the entire league last year. Teams with FQBs don't even keep a 3rd on the active roster, most only keep 2. The Jets kept 4 and Hack was legitimately the worst of the worst. 

Thats another nonsensical answer.  You know, as we all do with 4 QBs on the roster he was getting no practice time, no reps etc.  It would have been stupid to put him in a situation where he had no or little chance to succeed.  But to you its a strong vote of no confidence while every coach raving about the improvement to his game in OTAs and mini camp are meaningless.  Fine logic, dont trust the words, trust your own brand of logic

BTW, he was the 4th because: 1. No one was sure Fitz was returning, 2. Petty had never taken a snap 3.  Geno sucked and was in his last year.  Not getting what your point is, we all know why the Jets carried 4 QBs.  Doesnt make a point for the haters

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats another nonsensical answer.  You know, as we all do with 4 QBs on the roster he was getting no practice time, no reps etc.  It would have been stupid to put him in a situation where he had no or little chance to succeed.  But to you its a strong vote of no confidence while every coach raving about the improvement to his game in OTAs and mini camp are meaningless.  Fine logic, dont trust the words, trust your own brand of logic

BTW, he was the 4th because: 1. No one was sure Fitz was returning, 2. Petty had never taken a snap 3.  Geno sucked and was in his last year.  Not getting what your point is, we all know why the Jets carried 4 QBs.  Doesnt make a point for the haters

Fitz, Geno and Petty were all beyond horrible last season and two of them suffered season ending injuries.

The only reason Hack wasn't even active roster until week 17 was he looked so dreadful in practice and preseason even an empty suit like Bowles was like "better hide this guy"

57 minutes ago, thadude said:

Fitz, Geno and Petty were all beyond horrible last season and two of them suffered season ending injuries.

The only reason Hack wasn't even active roster until week 17 was he looked so dreadful in practice and preseason even an empty suit like Bowles was like "better hide this guy"

The only reason he didnt play is because he was never practicing, was in no way ready to start or play.  He wasnt practicing but you, once again, in your make believe dream world have invented the idea that he looked so bad in practice that the Jets couldnt play him at the end of the season.  Jets were never going to put him into a situation where he couldnt do anything but fail.  Made no sense to play him.  Total nonsense but right in line with the BS you post.  

I love the "4th QB" argument.  

You guys do remember that when Petty was lighting up pre-season, rumors popped up right after the Redskins game that we were actively shopping Geno and even looking at cutting him so we didn't have to keep 4 QBs, right?  Or is that just another f*cking conspiracy that you want to ignore that was invented by people who also remember our GM all but saying that their plan is to have Hackenberg sit the entire year so he can rebuild himself, develop in the NFL, and learn?

If Hack doesn't win it, yeah I guess Petty can "win" the job. We should all be praying to God one of the two kids win it.  Right now, am I convinced we have our future on the roster?  Despite my defense of Hackenberg...?  No.  I think we pick that guy next year.  Will I pray to everything holy that I'm wrong and root for the kids?  Hell yeah.  There is literally nothing productive that can come out of slamming a guy who hasn't taken the field yet to prove you were right other than looking like a douche canoe.  If either can't prove themselves this year, fine.  Slam away.  You were right.

On 7/23/2017 at 9:39 AM, thadude said:

Petty is noodlebrain

Petty had a tremendous college career in a top flight program. And hard to judge anyone running the run/run/desperate 3rd and 8 pass Gailey offense.Expect this team is gonna be bad, which is reason to play each of the young QBs and find out if you have something. Which is why playing Fitz after week 5 or so was criminal malfeasance by this idiot head coach.   Playing McCown much would be as bad. Again,this is  why the GM and HC being separate entities hamstrings this team's development. All 2017 to McCown is retirement savings and the Jets won't win anything ; play the kids.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Petty had a tremendous college career in a top flight program. And hard to judge anyone running the run/run/desperate 3rd and 8 pass Gailey offense.Expect this team is gonna be bad, which is reason to play each of the young QBs and find out if you have something. Which is why playing Fitz after week 5 or so was criminal malfeasance by this idiot head coach.   Playing McCown much would be as bad. Again,this is  why the GM and HC being separate entities hamstrings this team's development. All 2017 to McCown is retirement savings and the Jets won't win anything ; play the kids.

Gailey's spread offense actually suited Petty and he looked mediocre at best in it

Tim Tebow had a tremendous college career too want to sign him?

It is all bullsh*t really... These coaches can't figure out who the best player is? 

They need to get behind 1 guy right now and give him a push... A large part of QB is the ego/momentum aspect and this open competition bullsh*t does nothing but prolong the team rallying behind a player.

3 hours ago, ECURB said:

It is all bullsh*t really... These coaches can't figure out who the best player is? 

They need to get behind 1 guy right now and give him a push... A large part of QB is the ego/momentum aspect and this open competition bullsh*t does nothing but prolong the team rallying behind a player.

Sure they do, it's essential that the fans know.

Plus as you say, heading into day one of practice they should end the competition and name someone the winner.  That would be the smart thing to do

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure they do, it's essential that the fans know.

Plus as you say, heading into day one of practice they should end the competition and name someone the winner.  That would be the smart thing to do

As if a "competition" is better? It is more like they are too afraid to run with one of the young guns and Mccown sucks so they are calling it a competiton but really the staff just doesnt have the knowledge or balls to pick the winner and run with him.

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

As if a "competition" is better? It is more like they are too afraid to run with one of the young guns and Mccown sucks so they are calling it a competiton but really the staff just doesnt have the knowledge or balls to pick the winner and run with him.

Competition on every level is better.  As if it's not?  Why?  Because you need to know now?  They're afraid because you don't get how teams run? Or they don't have the knowledge to make the discussion today, before a single practice, a single pass.  That's how knowledge would come into play?  How many different ways can you be wrong? 

Funny, it's either it was handed to Sanchez without earning it and it ruined him or it should be handed to someone who hasn't earned shlt yet.  And if he failed then we hear the same Sanchez rant again.  

Archived