Does Petty have any shot to win the starting job

AFJF

Does Petty have any shot at winning the starting job?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Can Petty win the starting job?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, thadude said:

Gailey's spread offense actually suited Petty and he looked mediocre at best in it

Tim Tebow had a tremendous college career too want to sign him?

Tebow is/was an option QB, so, no. At a loss how you can judge any QB who is handcuffed and only allowed to throw on 3rd and long. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Competition on every level is better.  As if it's not?  Why?  Because you need to know now?  They're afraid because you don't get how teams run? Or they don't have the knowledge to make the discussion today, before a single practice, a single pass.  That's how knowledge would come into play?  How many different ways can you be wrong? 

Funny, it's either it was handed to Sanchez without earning it and it ruined him or it should be handed to someone who hasn't earned shlt yet.  And if he failed then we hear the same Sanchez rant again.  

Ok there is competition at MLB but Lee is a clear cut starter is he not? Why not do the same thing with one of the QBs? You can't just say they are all equal... Give the other guys someone to chase

On 7/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

None. If Hackenberg doesn't step up and win the job McCown will start. There is zero chance whatsoever that Petty wins the job.

I agree. I think Petty STILL has a lot of flaws in his delivery, mechanics and keeping his eyes downfield rather that peeking at the pass rush. I hate it when he pulls the ball down and thinks he STILL has time to throw. Not in this league my friend.

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

Tebow is/was an option QB, so, no. At a loss how you can judge any QB who is handcuffed and only allowed to throw on 3rd and long. 

And Gailey's spread offense was similar to the offense Petty played in at Baylor.  It was only the Rams game Petty wasn't allowed to throw he got to throw plenty in his other appearances and stunk

On 7/29/2017 at 3:28 PM, thadude said:

Gailey's spread offense actually suited Petty and he looked mediocre at best in it

Completely agree. Gailey's system matched up extremely well with Petty's strengths. If he couldn't hack it in that offense he's going to have a tough time in any NFL offense.

20 hours ago, ECURB said:

Ok there is competition at MLB but Lee is a clear cut starter is he not? Why not do the same thing with one of the QBs? You can't just say they are all equal... Give the other guys someone to chase

Because there are 4 LB spots?  Because realistically your better player isnt going to lose his job if he finishes a hair behind another player.  But if someone comes in and lights it up at Lees spot you dont think Lee would have plays taken away from him?  I bet he would.  And most importantly a QB needs to earn his keep more so than any other position.  

9 hours ago, thadude said:

And Gailey's spread offense was similar to the offense Petty played in at Baylor.  It was only the Rams game Petty wasn't allowed to throw he got to throw plenty in his other appearances and stunk

Gaileys "spread offense" was in no way similar to the offense Petty ran at Baylor.  Not even close.  

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Gaileys "spread offense" was in no way similar to the offense Petty ran at Bailor.  Not even close.  

I mean, as NFL offenses go there isn't an offensive system in the NFL closer to what he ran. Obviously nobody in the NFL runs such a simple one read offense, but they're comparable.

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, as NFL offenses go there isn't an offensive system in the NFL closer to what he ran. Obviously nobody in the NFL runs such a simple one read offense, but they're comparable.

No way.  Gailey is a spread guy in that he likes 5 or 4 wide, empty backfield plays.  Parcells loved to spread the field wide and was called a spread offense but wasnt what Bailor and others run on the collegiate level.  Baylor is a read one and throw system, no check offs, no huddle, no under center plays.  No thinking involved, no read after the first option.  Hes no where near what Baylor does.  Kelly is closer to Baylor, no one else runs that type of system in the NFL, too many issues 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No way.  Gailey is a spread guy in that he likes 5 or 4 wide, empty backfield plays.  Parcells loved to spread the field wide and was called a spread offense but wasnt what Bailor and others run on the collegiate level.  Bailor is a read one and throw system, no check offs, no huddle, no under center plays.  No thinking involved, no read after the first option.  Hes no where near what Bailor does.  Kelly is closer to Bailor, no one else runs that type of system in the NFL, too many issues 

Well yeah, like I said nobody runs Baylor's offense because it would fail against NFL defenses. But the 4 wide spread system is about as close as an NFL offense gets to what Baylor ran. It's not some precision/timing WCO or some super complicated offense where the routes are all option routes.

Archived