Christian Hackenberg, the future nobody is talking about

Maxman

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2017 at 4:29 AM, AFJF said:

If the Jets don't take a QB in rd. 1, it better be because Hack just got them a Lombardi.

This. Hack would have to have a phenomena season, not just show promise here and there.  Jets fans wouldn't know what to do with themselves if this happened as success stories are currently strictly forbidden here. 

18 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I've bashed my head into a steel pole several times now and I don't see it. How many more times do I have to do this before I can see it too?

Listen Hackenberg can do everything at the line of scrimmage pre snap IE recognizing defenses, shift protections, hot routes, change plays ect better then any QB the Jets have had since Pennington, NOW post snap Hackenberg has to gain confidence, lose the happy feet, stop feeling ghost pressure, clean up shotty foot work, and become accurate at all levels of the field, not just ball placement, but timing, and touch as well.  He is the exact opposite of what we had in Geno, and Sanchez those 2 could make every throw mechanically, but neither possessed the pre snap abilities, and football IQ of Hackenberg, but I believe it's easier to learn to become technically sound if you work at it, while being taught the skill of being very good pre snap at the line, and not being a knuckle head is much more difficult IMO.  Who knows how long if ever Hackenberg can transform his throwing mechanic issues, BUT IF he does I see a very good NFL QB, hope it materializes sooner rather then later, totally can see him blooming late in his career with another team that is totally the way these things go with the Jets.

19 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I've bashed my head into a steel pole several times now and I don't see it. How many more times do I have to do this before I can see it too?

Keep doing it, you'll know when it happens

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen Hackenberg can do everything at the line of scrimmage pre snap IE recognizing defenses, shift protections, hot routes, change plays ect better then any QB the Jets have had since Pennington, NOW post snap Hackenberg has to gain confidence, lose the happy feet, stop feeling ghost pressure, clean up shotty foot work, and become accurate at all levels of the field, not just ball placement, but timing, and touch as well.  He is the exact opposite of what we had in Geno, and Sanchez those 2 could make every throw mechanically, but neither possessed the pre snap abilities, and football IQ of Hackenberg, but I believe it's easier to learn to become technically sound if you work at it, while being taught the skill of being very good pre snap at the line, and not being a knuckle head is much more difficult IMO.  Who knows how long if ever Hackenberg can transform his throwing mechanic issues, BUT IF he does I see a very good NFL QB, hope it materializes sooner rather then later, totally can see him blooming late in his career with another team that is totally the way these things go with the Jets.

If he was so good pre-snap, where is the evidence of it?  The Giants made a monkey of him IIRC on one of his picks, by tricking him with a dropping DT. No big deal.  It happens to rookies (and some vets too) but when you are going out on a limb that the guy is better at it than actual players?  Can't do that. 

If it were easier to become technically sound, more of these guys would be technically sound. It's not like Hackenberg hasn't been getting taught all this stuff since 8th grade. One of his biggest problems seems to be panic.  You can teach guys what to do all damn day, but what do they do when the bullets fly?  I know, I know Franklin taught him all the bad footwork and Penn State's troubles caused him to deal with a sh*t line, but is he able to overcome it?  Was David Carr? 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

As an expert, please tell me how much brain damage I must suffer in order to believe hackenberg is likely to be a good QB?

Brain damage? 

You need to be smart and repeat, I have no idea if he will be a good QB because I have never seen him play in a real game, have no clue if the off season coaching has helped him.  You also need to repeat that you need to stop whining about a subject you have no clue about for the above reasons.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Brain damage? 

You need to be smart and repeat, I have no idea if he will be a good QB because I have never seen him play in a real game, have no clue if the off season coaching has helped him.  You also need to repeat that you need to stop whining about a subject you have no clue about for the above reasons.

Well, I'm smart enough to know bashing my head into a steel pole will give me brain damage which lowers my IQ. At some point, it will be low enough to ignore all evidence currently in existence. Since you've already gotten there, I was hoping you could give me a rough estimate.

44 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Well, I'm smart enough to know bashing my head into a steel pole will give me brain damage which lowers my IQ. At some point, it will be low enough to ignore all evidence currently in existence. Since you've already gotten there, I was hoping you could give me a rough estimate.

You mean the evidence you're making up as you go along.  Until he plays there is no evidence either way.  Brain damage leads to comments like that though

I have been trying to keep this to myself for some time now just so I can laugh my ass off when the doubters are proven wrong but IMO 

Dude is the TRUTH. 

Hack is gonna be the next great Jets QB and one of the better ones in the league. Mark it down........double stamp, no erasies.

I know its real hard to believe that we will FINALLY have one of the better QB's in the league who gives us a chance every year but you better get your head out your arse. Things about to change around here and I for one am glad I am still alive to see it happening. 

#HACKSTAMP

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean the evidence you're making up as you go along.  Until he plays there is no evidence either way.  Brain damage leads to comments like that though

This is not Schrödinger's cat. There is not a 50/50% chance that hack is good because he hasn't played in a regular season game. You don't get to stick your head in the sand on everything that has occurred up until now because...reasons..

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is not Schrödinger's cat. There is not a 50/50% chance that hack is good because he hasn't played in a regular season game. You don't get to stick your head in the sand on everything that has occurred up until now because...reasons..

So which is it?  First he sucks, now its 50/50 because he hasnt played.

How anyone can say there isnt a 50-50 chance that Hack can make it as a QB, really has a pre-determined opinion that cannot be swayed.

Do his college numbers jump out, nope they do not, but since when do college stats translate to NFL Success?  If they did, there wouldnt be guys like christian ponder and blaine gabbert being top 20 picks and flaming out almost immediately.

Forgetting stats for a second, picking QBs is such an inexact process that Alex Smith gets picked before a first ballot HOF in one draft, Brady falls to the 7th, Dak to the 4th, and Brees/Wilson to the 2nd/3rd, all while Akili Smith, Ponder, Jamarcus, etc completely and utterly fail.

Personally im skeptical that Hack will be the guy, but there are things like pocket presence, understanding protections (looking at you sanchez), arm strength, and understanding defenses that either cannot be taught or are difficult to learn.  Accuracy, through repetition and footwork CAN be improved.  I have no idea if it will, but the team gave Hack a redshirt for a reason - to clear his head, reset his mechanics and allow him to develop.  Will it work, who knows, but basically every QB picked is a coin flip, so why is our guy any different?

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

How anyone can say there isnt a 50-50 chance that Hack can make it as a QB, really has a pre-determined opinion that cannot be swayed.

Do his college numbers jump out, nope they do not, but since when do college stats translate to NFL Success?  If they did, there wouldnt be guys like christian ponder and blaine gabbert being top 20 picks and flaming out almost immediately.

Forgetting stats for a second, picking QBs is such an inexact process that Alex Smith gets picked before a first ballot HOF in one draft, Brady falls to the 7th, Dak to the 4th, and Brees/Wilson to the 2nd/3rd, all while Akili Smith, Ponder, Jamarcus, etc completely and utterly fail.

Personally im skeptical that Hack will be the guy, but there are things like pocket presence, understanding protections (looking at you sanchez), arm strength, and understanding defenses that either cannot be taught or are difficult to learn.  Accuracy, through repetition and footwork CAN be improved.  I have no idea if it will, but the team gave Hack a redshirt for a reason - to clear his head, reset his mechanics and allow him to develop.  Will it work, who knows, but basically every QB picked is a coin flip, so why is our guy any different?

It is 50-50 only in the sense that you only see two options - make it as a QB or not.  If when you flipped a coin there was a 1-10,000 chance it came up heads, this would be like that.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is 50-50 only in the sense that you only see two options - make it as a QB or not.  If when you flipped a coin there was a 1-10,000 chance it came up heads, this would be like that.

1 in 10,000? How about 1 in 10? Maybe give the poor kid a 10% chance. Make me feel better about the season, anyway. 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF are you talking about

What confused you about "There is not a 50/50 chance" that lead you to believe I said there is a 50/50 chance? I know words are hard, but I believe in you. I think there is a 50/50 chance you will be able to understand the sentence, "There is not a 50/50 chance" if you think hard enough.

27 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What confused you about "There is not a 50/50 chance" that lead you to believe I said there is a 50/50 chance? I know words are hard, but I believe in you. I think there is a 50/50 chance you will be able to understand the sentence, "There is not a 50/50 chance" if you think hard enough.

There is not a 50/50 chance?  What a wordsmith.

Never mind you have no clue what his chances are, stop acting like you actually know off of what's been written

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

Hack sucked at Penn State once he lost Allen Robinson -- what are people seeing here?

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There is not a 50/50 chance?  What a wordsmith.

Never mind you have no clue what his chances are, stop acting like you actually know off of what's been written

Actually it's more like 99/100 Hack continues to suck

14 minutes ago, thadude said:

Actually it's more like 99/100 Hack continues to suck

Actually?  And you know this to be fact?  Better odds than you writing  something based on facts or football.  

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually?  And you know this to be fact?  Better odds than you writing  something based on facts or football.  

No it's based on reality.  Hack was not good in college and has given jets fans 0.0 to think he is this unpolished gem 

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

No it's based on reality.  Hack was not good in college and has given jets fans 0.0 to think he is this unpolished gem 

Reality?  Lol

And because he didn't play last season you're sure he can't.  Got to love the deep thinking that goes into this statement.  Unpolished gem.  Why not just SU and wait to see what we have?   Why whine and bitch and moan about someone you have no clue about.  

On 7/18/2017 at 6:02 PM, jeremy2020 said:

Please post a video so we know you really did it.  

Was thinking about this some more.

Look at Flacco.  Not the sharpest tool.  Started at Pitt.  Transferred to DE.  BIg guy who has QB physical traits.  I think it is safe to say that he really did not learn to play QB in college.  The Ravens were smart enough to teach him.  He remains today an imperfect QB who has won a SB and qualifies as franchise.

God knows how Flacco, or Carson Wentz for that matter, would have done at PSU if they played with the players and coach that Hack had to work with.

Now, when we hear about how bad Hack looked last year it is very concerning.  But I think the thesis to drafting Hack was that he was a physical specimen QB who appeared to have QB acumen but who needed work on his fundamentals and to be reprogrammed.  

I think we all stand here not having the slightest idea how this is going to end up.   It is a complete crap shoot.

On 7/18/2017 at 0:13 AM, Maxman said:

Well people are talking about him, but not in the context of him being the future. A good long positive future for Christian and the NY Jets.

That's what this thread is about.

cool.  I love science fiction. 

How quickly can this guy process the pro game? that'll be his ticket to success, his ability read defenses and make his progressions. Supposedly its above average, that'd be the biggest change of pace he can provide the team. 

21 hours ago, thadude said:

Hack sucked at Penn State once he lost Allen Robinson -- what are people seeing here?

So college production determines NFL success for quarterbacks?  Here are 4 seasons of college completion %:  40.7   55.8  54.1   54.5     Those are from someone named Brett Favre.

Furthermore, wont Hack have access now to players/receivers as talented as Allen Robinson, thereby increasing the chances of getting him back to his "pre-suck" days?  ARob is actually a FA after this season, maybe we sign him, could Hack be good then?

Again, I think he is going to struggle, but the point is that is INSANE that people here think there is a 99% chance this kid wont make it where there is almost no concrete way to project NFL success for these kids.  

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So college production determines NFL success for quarterbacks?  Here are 4 seasons of college completion %:  40.7   55.8  54.1   54.5     Those are from someone named Brett Favre.

So you're relying on hack being the exception? 1 guy in a generation that had poor college accuracy who ended up being a good NFL QB compared to countless number of college QBs with poor accuracy who didn't make it. Then excepting the other starting QBs who are solid starting QBs who have good numbers. 

The lunacy that because one guy did it that Hack *is* going to do it is absurd.

In addition, it's more like 99.9% of college QBs with two bad seasons don't end up as solid NFL starting QBs.

Archived