are the Jets doomed for the next 3 years ? ? ?

kelly

Probably for the next 2. I can't see this team being any good this year but if the they show promise and progress maybe in 2018 the can be mediocre.

2019, 2020 we will know if this rebuild will work. Fans are gonna have to be patient on this one

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

All I know is that they need to fix the following:

Oline

Linebackers

Corners

QBs

How long will that take?

..3 VERY good drafts @ 2 VERY good free agent signings    ;)

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Best case scenario, extremely unlikely unless the new QB is really good in his 2nd season and Brady cant play anymore, is a wildcard round exit 9-7 type team in 2019.

The absolute earliest, if everything clicks and they draft lots of quality starters, is a threatening playoff team in 2020. 

KEEP THIS IN MIND TOO;  Winston and Mariota are entering year 3.  And while I think it's possible that both could realistically win their divisions, (I believe Tennessee actually will but Tampa won't), those teams still arent viewed as Super Bowl caliber.

The answer for a potential SB team is probably 2021.

I'm starting to wonder that if this tank/rebuild job fails that the Jets are out of the NYC market after 2020.  Don't personally know the specifics of the stadium deal, but the NFL is all about new cities right now.

Jets should have boo coo bucks next year to reinforce weak areas. They will perhaps get some better draft picks if they flame out like many believe. I never give much respect to the "experts". I usually do better than them on my weekly game pool picks. Shows how much they know. I choose to stay positive going into the season. And I like being the underdog so the Jets suit me just fine.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Jets should have boo coo bucks next year to reinforce weak areas. They will perhaps get some better draft picks if they flame out like many believe. I never give much respect to the "experts". I usually do better than them on my weekly game pool picks. Shows how much they know. I choose to stay positive going into the season. And I like being the underdog so the Jets suit me just fine.

This offseason has been illuminating for me.  I used to think that Macc and Team knew what they were doing, and that the ball just bounced the wrong way in 2017.

Until proven otherwise, I am currently thinking that the Jets are a weak organization that is not building for success.

5 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I'm starting to wonder that if this tank/rebuild job fails that the Jets are out of the NYC market after 2020.  Don't personally know the specifics of the stadium deal, but the NFL is all about new cities right now.

You don't know that they own half of their stadium? 

Theyre not going anywhere.  The NFL is not about new cities either

5 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Asking Woody (or any owner) to relocate his team out of this market would essentially be asking him to decrease the value of his investment by anywhere from 25%-50% voluntarily. The Jets are reported to be presently worth 2.75 Billion.  They are the #7th ranked team in regards to worth.  Why do you think we are so valuable?  Because of our excellent leadership and business acumen?  Our great talent management?  Our superior coaching, player development, training?  Nope. 3 little letters.  NYC. 

Bills are worth 1.5B and are ranked dead last with Detroit and Cincinnati closely contesting them for that spot. 

Location. Location. Location.

16 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Asking Woody (or any owner) to relocate his team out of this market would essentially be asking him to decrease the value of his investment by anywhere from 25%-50% voluntarily. The Jets are reported to be presently worth 2.75 Billion.  They are the #7th ranked team in regards to worth.  Why do you think we are so valuable?  Because of our excellent leadership and business acumen?  Our great talent management?  Our superior coaching, player development, training?  Nope. 3 little letters.  NYC. 

Bills are worth 1.5B and are ranked dead last with Detroit and Cincinnati closely contesting them for that spot. 

What if the move was to Wembley?

Three years? The Browns and Bills have been trying this full rebuild strategy for 30 years and it hasn't worked. 

The Cowboys and Raiders, almost 25 years and some even with franchise quarterbacks and it hasn't worked. 

The Jets are done.

SAR I

21 hours ago, jmat321 said:

What if the move was to Wembley?

Have to seriously doubt that would ever be a consideration. Football does not work in Europe the way it does here.  It might be a nice novelty act for fans, but to consistently sell out stadiums year after year? Don't think they are selling any PSLs either. Football in Europe is maybe on par with hockey as it relates to national interest here, and that might even be a stretch.  The NFL already said they wouldn't even consider putting a team in London it unless the demand was so far ahead of the curve that it would be a huge success with little to no risk.  Something like 6M fans demanding an NFL team is their bar, or at least some real proof that that number of fans would look at NFL football as a major sporting event that they would actively support. Last I heard it is nowhere close to that now.  The London games are essentially the NFL offering the fans there a free taste to try to hook them on the product.  It hasn't taken yet. It may never work. Also, the teams that would consider moving to an international location are generally the teams that are failing to stay competitive (in terms of their worth) relative to other teams in their present markets.  Jacksonville, Buffalo come to mind. The Jets do not fir in that category as the #7 overall valued franchise with all games sold out with their license holders somewhat beholden to the organization.  If the Jets were relocated by force from the NFL it would basically have to be a total power play by the Maras and it would be a total league wide screw job to the Jets. If that ever happened it would also mean that 30 other owners are willing to set a precedent that the group can diminish the value of one owners franchise for nothing more than spite. That's almost impossible. These guys know that it far too slippery a slope to play on.

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 3:32 PM, nyjunc said:

Until you get a top flight QB the NFL is always year to year.

true !.. the two MOST important jobs to fill for an NFL team :

- QB

- HEAD coach

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

Three years? The Browns and Bills have been trying this full rebuild strategy for 30 years and it hasn't worked. 

The Cowboys and Raiders, almost 25 years and some even with franchise quarterbacks and it hasn't worked. 

The Jets are done.

SAR I

Although we make noise that it is Super Bowl victory or bust, fans were happy enough with the Jets when they were going to the AFCCG and otherwise going to the playoffs.  The Jets were a solidly above average NFL team during Woody's first 10 years of ownership.   I think most Jet fans right now would gladly take where the Raiders and Cowboys are right now.  Given the last 6 years, Woody's total term of ownership is less favorable.

Both of those teams build competitors with a solid long term strategy.  I can see the Raiders doing better over the next 3 years since they appear to be a bit more level-headed than Jerry Jones, and because it took a long time for Jerry's strategy to work, some of his players will start aging off quickly.  

The Jets can turn it around, but they need a change.  

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Although we make noise that it is Super Bowl victory or bust, fans were happy enough with the Jets when they were going to the AFCCG and otherwise going to the playoffs.  The Jets were a solidly above average NFL team during Woody's first 10 years of ownership.   I think most Jet fans right now would gladly take where the Raiders and Cowboys are right now.  Given the last 6 years, Woody's total term of ownership is less favorable.

Both of those teams build competitors with a solid long term strategy.  I can see the Raiders doing better over the next 3 years since they appear to be a bit more level-headed than Jerry Jones, and because it took a long time for Jerry's strategy to work, some of his players will start aging off quickly.  

The Jets can turn it around, but they need a change.  

Good post.

The script for the past 20 years:  Bill Parcells rebuilt the Leon Hess debacle and set us on a course for 10 years of prosperity.  At the moment the last remnants of the Parcells legacy were fading, Woody had a stadium to build and PSL's to sell so he had Mike Tannenbaum spend on free agents like a drunken sailor.  And it worked.  It worked better than the Parcells years.  It worked better than the Namath years.  But then he chose his idiot head coach over his brilliant GM and his young QB and it all went to hell.

Without a Parcells type and without the urgency to put a winner on the field at any price we are a rudderless ship headed for oblivion.

SAR I

On 7/18/2017 at 10:57 PM, Lil Woody said:

Considering Johnson purchased the Jets for $635 million, on January 18, 2000, his investment performance has been fantastic, regardless of the play on the field

It seems the fans are the only ones who care about wins and losses

Yea, Coaches lose jobs but get paid remainder of contracts, players get paid...

Fans pay - how long can this go on? roger, roger?

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Considering Johnson purchased the Jets for $635 million, on January 18, 2000, his investment performance has been fantastic, regardless of the play on the field

It seems the fans are the only ones who care about wins and losses

Yea, Coaches lose jobs but get paid remainder of contracts, players get paid...

Fans pay - how long can this go on? roger, roger?

Totally agree.  His investment was great. But it is still inconsequential with regard to would they move. Nobody looks at the money they have earned on an investment and says, well that's good, now I can take steps to lower my returns significantly. If Woody is happy with his returns the only choice is to sell or not to sell at that point.  And then any new owner is buying the NYC franchise, not the TBD franchise, because the location is the draw for the Jets, not the franchise itself.  Jets aren't moving out of NYC unless something insane happens. Like NYC gets invaded by space aliens or the 31 other league owners collude to remove them from this market.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:29 PM, RoadFan said:

Best case scenario, extremely unlikely unless the new QB is really good in his 2nd season and Brady cant play anymore, is a wildcard round exit 9-7 type team in 2019.

The absolute earliest, if everything clicks and they draft lots of quality starters, is a threatening playoff team in 2020. 

KEEP THIS IN MIND TOO;  Winston and Mariota are entering year 3.  And while I think it's possible that both could realistically win their divisions, (I believe Tennessee actually will but Tampa won't), those teams still arent viewed as Super Bowl caliber.

The answer for a potential SB team is probably 2021.

That is just stupid. 

If the defense improves and Hackenberg is even average the Jets can win seven or eight games. They are better than Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and can beat Buffalo and Miami. That's five wins right there and I think the Jets can beat Indy and maybe upset New Orleans or the Chargers. The defense holds the key and the o-line. If the Jets can take the pressure off Hack by running the ball effectively and play good defense it can happen.

59 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

If the defense improves and Hackenberg is even average the Jets can win seven or eight games. They are better than Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and can beat Buffalo and Miami. That's five wins right there and I think the Jets can beat Indy and maybe upset New Orleans or the Chargers. The defense holds the key and the o-line. If the Jets can take the pressure off Hack by running the ball effectively and play good defense it can happen.

We have zero pass rush and all our qb's are horrible.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:39 AM, BigRy56 said:

Down year this year (maybe), spend 100mil in off-season, 10-6 the following year. So no we're not

We were 10-6 a few years back with Fitz. While it was entertaining, it was purely fool's gold.  This franchise has just not had the leadership to build a consistent, competitive team.  It reaches for quick fixes, squanders draft picks and makes terrible decisions on contracts and FA signings.  Having a Golden Boy fall in your  lap can only go so far. Mac has done nothing that really inspires me to think he can turn this franchise around. He has been very fortunate to have plucked 2 very good players that fell in the draft.  But it'll take more than luck or a Golden Boy that lays a golden Egg to become a perennial contender. 

Archived