are the Jets doomed for the next 3 years ? ? ?

kelly

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Great commentary...

What is stupid?

Absolute earliest 2020? SB ready in 2021. Teams completely change in 3 years. We can comepte this year if Hack plays well and compete next year if this draft and next years pan out. Your post is just alarmist hyperbolic conjecture bullsh*t. Teams go from last to first ALL the time.

14 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Considering Johnson purchased the Jets for $635 million, on January 18, 2000, his investment performance has been fantastic, regardless of the play on the field

It seems the fans are the only ones who care about wins and losses

Yea, Coaches lose jobs but get paid remainder of contracts, players get paid...

Fans pay - how long can this go on? roger, roger?

Buying the jets is literally the only good business decision Woody ever made in his own

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Absolute earliest 2020? SB ready in 2021. Teams completely change in 3 years. We can comepte this year if Hack plays well and compete next year if this draft and next years pan out. Your post is just alarmist hyperbolic conjecture bullsh*t. Teams go from last to first ALL the time.

Due to Idzik and Rex I think 2021 is too early we need to draft another safety this year after we go 4-12 and miss out on all the good qb's and then maybe in the year 2110 we can try to look at a possible wildcard

On 7/21/2017 at 10:18 PM, BigO said:

We were 10-6 a few years back with Fitz. While it was entertaining, it was purely fool's gold.  This franchise has just not had the leadership to build a consistent, competitive team.  It reaches for quick fixes, squanders draft picks and makes terrible decisions on contracts and FA signings. 

This narrative is completely wrong and ignores the successes the Jets have had in the past 20 years.  I'm sick of hearing this in this forum.  Fans should know better.  This concept of "building a consistent, competitive team" is nonsense.  If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you have two options:

You either sell this "patient rebuild" to the fans and wait forever to find a franchise quarterback, or you fight the "patience" and manufacture a competitive team from the free agent market.  I'd rather be a Jets fan who did it the so-called "wrong way" and saw a lot of success in the past 20 years than be a Bills/Dolphins/Raiders/Browns fan who made it once or didn't make the playoffs at all and had losing season after losing season for decades at a time.

The Jets have had only 6 losing seasons in the past 20 years.  Think about that.  And 3 of those losing campaigns were because Chad Pennington was lost for the season or we'd have had a .500 or winning record in those too.  This so-called "wrong way" to build a team was the right way to build for the Jets.  It worked.  Yeah, we didn't win the Super Bowl, but every season for the last 20 years you've been able to go in thinking we were a playoff team.  Bad draft picks, no franchise quarterback, but we had 14 winning or .500 seasons in the last 20 years.  It's incredible.  No other NFL team without a franchise QB was able to come close to that level of consistent success.

You just lived through the Jets golden era.  Be frustrated that it's over, but don't ignore how we got there.  We shouldn't be patiently rebuilding.  We should be targeting great free agents and managing our cap accordingly.  "Patience" doesn't work.  Impatience does.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This narrative is completely wrong and ignores the successes the Jets have had in the past 20 years.  I'm sick of hearing this in this forum.  Fans should know better.  This concept of "building a consistent, competitive team" is nonsense.  If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you have two options:

You either sell this "patient rebuild" to the fans and wait forever to find a franchise quarterback, or you fight the "patience" and manufacture a competitive team from the free agent market.  I'd rather be a Jets fan who did it the so-called "wrong way" and saw a lot of success in the past 20 years than be a Bills/Dolphins/Raiders/Browns fan who made it once or didn't make the playoffs at all and had losing season after losing season for decades at a time.

The Jets have had only 6 losing seasons in the past 20 years.  Think about that.  And 3 of those losing campaigns were because Chad Pennington was lost for the season or we'd have had a .500 or winning record in those too.  This so-called "wrong way" to build a team was the right way to build for the Jets.  It worked.  Yeah, we didn't win the Super Bowl, but every season for the last 20 years you've been able to go in thinking we were a playoff team.  Bad draft picks, no franchise quarterback, but we had 14 winning or .500 seasons in the last 20 years.  It's incredible.  No other NFL team without a franchise QB was able to come close to that level of consistent success.

You just lived through the Jets golden era.  Be frustrated that it's over, but don't ignore how we got there.  We shouldn't be patiently rebuilding.  We should be targeting great free agents and managing our cap accordingly.  "Patience" doesn't work.  Impatience does.

SAR I

The problem with "patient rebuild" is you need a GM who can effectively evaluate young talent and a head coach that can manage and develop that talent

Jets have neither

30 minutes ago, thadude said:

The problem with "patient rebuild" is you need a GM who can effectively evaluate young talent and a head coach that can manage and develop that talent

Jets have neither

CORRECT 

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Patience? Since when has this team shown ANY patience. Maybe a touch when Parcells came here. Other than that they have reached, squandered draft picks and have no clue how to build a team. And you don't need a HOF QB to win a SB. Nice if you had one but many teams have won a SB without one. 

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Jets have neither

So Christian Hackenberg has no chance of being a franchise QB? 

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I dont disagree with this. I think the problem is that the NFL has become blind to the fact that there is a path to winning with a "crappy QB". This team won with Sanchez, Chad, and came close with Fitzpatrick. The league is in this weird spot right now where one of three things happens: either everyone gets paid big at QB, someone gets drafted highly at QB, or teams just retreat because the first two did not apply. If the Patriots are spending $20M on the QB and you legit have a QB worth $2M you should have, in theory, $18M to spend elsewhere to make your team more competitive. The Jets did that with Sanchez and to a much lesser extent chad (Chad was overpaid for the time) , but most teams do what the Jets did last year and just overspend at QB. Ryan Tannehill sucks compared to Brady but the two make close to the same salary. Instead of the Dolphins finding ways to compete with the better QB they sink the money into a crappy QB and leave everything else the same. The Jets fell into this trap with Fitz last year, Teams like the Jets shouldn't just accept being bad. They need to focus on other ways to skin the cat until they get there in the traditional way with a young QB. Unfortunately they are in this state now where that is what they are doing.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, thadude said:

Mac built an AVERAGE roster.  Unless we go 0-16 or 1-15 & get Darnold or Allen.. we're goin' to be the worst franchise in the NFL for the next  3 - 4 yrs  :( 

^ ^ Fixed  :rolleyes:

Archived