Positional Outlook: Safety

JetNation

13 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jets have one of the best young safeties tandem in the league. Time will tell if they are the best. I like the Raiders young safety tandem FS/SS Karl Joseph and SS/FS Obi Melifonwu. 

Shocking

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Shocking

More common sense , than Shocking.    There are many NFL teams think they have the next Cam Chancellor, and Earl Thomas duo at safety.    Time will tell which young duo is the best.( that will be decided on the field, and not on some message board before anyone played a game).   

On 7/19/2017 at 10:36 AM, JiF said:

I'd be surprised if 3-4 years from now that we're referring to Maye as a good coverage safety.  He certainly wasnt in college.  And while I think Adams has range, he too, I'd be surprised is known for his ability in coverage as opposed to just a solid overall Safety.  I hope I'm wrong but I really dont see that being the case.

It should be interesting to see how Miles is treated this offseason.  For the past 2 years, IMO he was clearly outshining Pryor when given the opportunity.  Todd just really never gave him the opportunity.  He's gamer, he plays like his hair is on fire and is all over the field when given the chance.  Maye and Miles remind me a lot of each other, to be honest. You'd think he'd have a leg up being it's his 3rd year in the system.   Bowles preaches open competition even though we know that's not actually the case.  I wonder if the rookies get the nod just because but Miles once again earned it and gets snubbed due to draft status.

Uhm...

Rontez Miles.png

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

More common sense , than Shocking.    There are many NFL teams think they have the next Cam Chancellor, and Earl Thomas duo at safety.    Time will tell which young duo is the best.( that will be decided on the field, and not on some message board before anyone played a game).   

Common sense?  Time will tell?  Never seems to have stopped you over the last 10 or so years that you've been posting whenever someone credits a Jet unit.  Things like the Raiders have one of, if not the best, DL, OL, QB, RB's, TE's, LB's, CB's, S's, ST's, HC, FO, GM, etc.  But the team until last year won squat.  While every season you predicted a better record than the Jets or wins over them in the regular season.  

Sorry if i fail to see you as anything other than a homer who would go to bat for anyone wearing silver and black

On July 22, 2017 at 0:08 PM, Jet Nut said:

Common sense?  Time will tell?  Never seems to have stopped you over the last 10 or so years that you've been posting whenever someone credits a Jet unit.  Things like the Raiders have one of, if not the best, DL, OL, QB, RB's, TE's, LB's, CB's, S's, ST's, HC, FO, GM, etc.  But the team until last year won squat.  While every season you predicted a better record than the Jets or wins over them in the regular season.  

Sorry if i fail to see you as anything other than a homer who would go to bat for anyone wearing silver and black

Okay Mrs. Cleo .  Maybe you should wait to see both Jet safeties play in actual NFL game before you make such lofty predictions- NFL best young starting Safety duo.  ( your prediction on the record now). 

They might turn out to be the best , but they could  also be a long list of can't miss safeties - who do just that.     Time will tell.

Now I admit this next Hypothetical question is impossible to prove one way or the other , but here it goes.    If you switch the college teams both Jamal Adams( Lsu- football factory) and Obi Melifonwu( Connecticut) played for.  Would Obi Melifonwu have been the first safety off the board ?  Big difference playing with NFL talent around you every where on defense, and you being the lone NFL prospect.( See Khalil Mack at Buffalo) .

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Okay Mrs. Cleo .  Maybe you should wait to see both Jet safeties play in actual NFL game before you make such lofty predictions- NFL best young starting Safety duo.  ( your prediction on the record now). 

They might turn out to be the best , but they could  also be a long list of can't miss safeties - who do just that.     Time will tell.

Now I admit this next Hypothetical question is impossible to prove one way or the other , but here it goes.    If you switch the college teams both Jamal Adams( Lsu- football factory) and Obi Melifonwu( Connecticut) played for.  Would Obi Melifonwu have been the first safety off the board ?  Big difference playing with NFL talent around you every where on defense, and you being the lone NFL prospect.( See Khalil Mack at Buffalo) .

Mrs Cleo?  From the Raider fan who comes to a Jet board for what 10 years running telling everyone the same story over the years?  Every position in football being advantage Raiders?  And if not you make up a hypothetical situation to make the case that J Adams isn't as good as a Raider.  im shocked!!!

Why do you come here, who do you think youre going to turn into a Raider fan boy

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

You're right.  To say the Jets have best safety tandem in the NFL is ridiculous without seeing them on the field.  Especially, when they're basically carbon copies of each other and neither are a rangy safety that is going to track the ball or play center field (even though Todd will inevitably have them doing so anyway).

As for you hypothetical, no.  Pretty simple, no.  Plenty of small school players go early.  Your example, went 5th overall.  A WR from Western Michigan went 5th this year.  Temple had a player go in the top 15. East Carolina, Western Kentucky, South Alabama and Ashland all had players go before Obi, who played for UConn.  UConn has had players go in the 1st round a couple of times in years prior.

So, no the school swap wouldnt have made a difference at all.  Jamall Adams is just that much better of a prospect than Obi.  Which is why he was offered to go to LSU to begin with.

Archived