Jamal Adams has been signed!

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Exactly!!!!

If Bowles gets blamed for the knuckle heads does he get credit for the the Big Cat, Lenora Williams?

that wasn't even the point.  It was about how poorlyboth guys played ON THE FIELD.  nothing about this thread was about off-field issues.

13 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Lee is debatable, I'd like to see him another year at WILL now that he's got some experience. As is he was doing okay in coverage from what I remember in that he was often in position to prevent a catch, but somehow dudes were making them anyway.

The Richardson experiment was a bust though.

Yeah, Spanos is a penny pinching prick. Wouldn't budge to a top five pick because of that, wouldn't commit to San Diego for that reason either. And now... they play in a soccer stadium for three years in a market that doesn't care about them. Off the top of my head there are few owners I'd gladly take Johnson over and he's one of them. (Jed York is another)

Richardson was playing out of position due to injuries to the LB group and ineffective play by others.  I get that he struggled but dont see any evidence that he was put there because Bowles thinks he can make a permanent position switch.  

Agree about Spanos too.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Everyone who has seen him play says the same things about him.

Other than well informed SOJFs who whine and cry over the pick because hes a safety and in their infinite wisdom we dont need to put a S out on the field.  After years of bitching that we passed on Ed Reed of course

I feel like we went back in time and made up for that big ed reid mistake 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like we went back in time and made up for that big ed reid mistake 

So you think Macc drafted the best player on his board, the BAP at 6 because a different GM passed on Ed Reed years ago?  At a time where S is more important than it was back in Reeds day? 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So you think Macc drafted the best player on his board, the BAP at 6 because a different GM passed on Ed Reed years ago?  At a time where S is more important than it was back in Reeds day? 

he beheld the prophecy obv

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

he beheld the prophecy obv

Or he just took one of the highest players in the draft, his BAP, a guy mocked to go 3rd to Da Bears at 6.  What's usually called a great move everywhere else.  But ridiculed by Jet fans who know better, lol

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Or he just took one of the highest players in the draft, his BAP, a guy mocked to go 3rd to Da Bears at 6.  What's usually called a great move everywhere else.  But ridiculed by Jet fans who know better, lol

Speaking of mocked: 

IMG_0634.PNG

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Speaking of mocked: 

IMG_0634.PNG

So every player ranking goes out the window because of Geno?  Not getting what a failed mock or ranking has to do with making s solid pick.  Taking a player where his college career etc says he should be taken.  Did this line of thinking work guys like Peyton, Ben, Luck, Leo, etc, etc?  They get shlt wrong, happens, doesn't make the pick of Adams at 6 wrong.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So every player ranking goes out the window because of Geno?  Not getting what a failed mock or ranking has to do with making s solid pick.  Taking a player where his college career etc says he should be taken.  Did this line of thinking work guys like Peyton, Ben, Luck, Leo, etc, etc?  They get shlt wrong, happens, doesn't make the pick of Adams at 6 wrong.  

I agree. Adams is fine. The next coach and GM will love him.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I am a firm believer in getting your team in early as possible. This may have been the case, idk.

Agreed but he missed not one day of OTAs or mini camp.  He only would have been an absentee if he wasn't signed before camp in a few 

• Upvote 1

I guess it's worth saying that a long time ago on this board the snark and misery from some has translated into pure stupidity. Dial it back and maybe be somewhat funny occasionally, or go full nuclear and have every single post treated as that of a real dumb sh*t. 

• Upvote 3

I'm still over the moon that he's a Jet. its not every day the guy you wanted most actually gets picked. I was thinking there was no way he was getting out of the top five, and yet here we are.

Its all about those intangibles, this man is gonna be the glue that holds the defense together, just you watch.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

In fairness, the rookie wage scale is creeping up only along with the rather massive increases that continue to come through with the salary cap each year.  The rookie contracts are still significantly down from where they were, despite teams having a much larger pool of money to work with.  The goal was never to have these kids playing for peanuts, and it shouldn't be, it was more a matter of fixing the problem that top picks had cap-crippling contracts and were out-earning the vast majority of NFL veterans.  Top picks are basically getting contracts of low-to-mid tier starters (obviously varying based on the position), and quickly going down from there throughout the draft.  With all of the mess Goodell has created over the years, this is one thing that I think has gone pretty well.

Solid reply and good point that the rest of the cap has gone up as well.

I agree the top players should be compensated for great play in the NCAA, I also agree the new rookie wage scale was a great improvement and slowed a runaway train. My question is with the rate of increase, based on the last few years (7-10%) the #1 pick will be getting 50M in 5 years, maybe the cap with be 250M by then and it will balance out but it feels like we have been down this road...

If Garrett can't get to the QB (like Gholston), the Browns are on the hook for 30 million.. and let't not forget the Gholston contract, before the new rookie wage scale;

The sixth overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft by the New York Jets, defensive end Vernon Gholston signed a five-year contract worth $32 million. If Gholston reached all of his performance clauses, the deal would have maxed out at $50 million. His contract included $21 million in guaranteed money.  In three seasons with the Jets, Gholston collected exactly 16 tackles. He failed to record a sack. And he was cut following the 2010 season.

Not that far from the Adams deal, so good that Goodell improved the scale and saved 10 years of inflation but where does it go from here?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

In fairness, the rookie wage scale is creeping up only along with the rather massive increases that continue to come through with the salary cap each year.  The rookie contracts are still significantly down from where they were, despite teams having a much larger pool of money to work with.  The goal was never to have these kids playing for peanuts, and it shouldn't be, it was more a matter of fixing the problem that top picks had cap-crippling contracts and were out-earning the vast majority of NFL veterans.  Top picks are basically getting contracts of low-to-mid tier starters (obviously varying based on the position), and quickly going down from there throughout the draft.  With all of the mess Goodell has created over the years, this is one thing that I think has gone pretty well.

Just looked it up to see

Bradford (last bloated contract) got 6 years, $78MM with $50MM guaranteed.

This year, Garrett got 4 years, $30MM and apparently all guaranteed.

So the guaranteed money is getting pretty close again on an annual basis but the total value is still way down in case the guy blows.