Could Darnold pull a Peyton? Cimini Ponders

T0mShane

Two decades later, could Sam Darnold jilt Jets by pulling a Peyton?

6:00 AM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

After a short hiatus, the New York Jets mailbag is back. Naturally, our question of the week involves the quarterback position.

@RichCimini: In fact, this is the 20-year anniversary of the Peyton Manning blow-off. Diehard fans will recall the Jets had the No. 1 overall pick in 1997, but they never got a chance to consider Manning because he decided to stay in school. Maybe it would've turned out differently if Bill Parcells had promised Archie Manning that he'd pick his son -- they had two conversations before Peyton's decision -- but Parcells made no such guarantee, citing the league's anti-tampering rules. I always found that amusing. Since when did Parcells, who flirted with the Jets while under contract with the New England Patriots, worry about bending the rules?

Fast-forward to the present: We've already seen stories that Sam Darnold might stay at USC instead of declaring for the 2018 draft. He's staying. He's going. He's staying. He's going. The stories and the speculation will continue into January, when he'll have to make a decision. My advice to Jets fans: Don't get caught up in it because it will drive you mad. You'll have enough agita from the season, so there's no point in fretting over the whims of a 20-year-old quarterback.

Chances are it won't be a Darnold-or-bust draft. I talked to an AFC scout who believes Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has better long-term potential than Darnold, who has attracted most of the attention because he plays for an iconic football school. With the New York and Los Angeles media markets tracking him, there's a chance Darnold will be overhyped, distorting his true NFL potential. The good news for the Jets is they probably will have other options if they wind up with the top pick and want a quarterback.

And another thing: If Darnold completes his season and is informed by advisers he could be the No. 1 overall pick, it would be a major upset if he stays in school. Yeah, he could buy an insurance policy to cover some of the injury risk, but would he walk away from a guaranteed contract worth north of $30 million? Doubt it. Sure, Peyton did it, but he was a rare bird. Maybe I have a myopic view, but what college star wouldn't relish a chance to play in the New York market for a quarterback-starved franchise?

If Darnold pulls a Peyton, yeah, it would be typical Jets luck. On the bright side, Peyton's son, Marshall, could be draft-eligible in 2031.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this misses the bigger question: should Darnold come out if the zjets have the first overall? The franchise has been a vitamix blender for young QBs and, no doubt, Darnold's people will know that. Consider the environment he'd be walking into: Bowles and Maccagnan hanging on by a thread going into Year Four, the worst roster in the NFL, Bilal Powell and Quincy Enunwa as the major offensive threats on the team, and an iffy situation (at best) at OLT. IMO, there's no way I willfully allow myself to be drafted into this scenario. 

But, there's another side. Cimini points out: "what college star wouldn't relish a chance to play in the New York market for a quarterback-starved franchise?" It would be a chance for him to be a hero and savior.  Additionally, there is much more money to be made hawking various products in larger market areas... and money is the great equalizer.

Sure there's a chance he leaves us at the alter. Who knows?

8 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

But, there's another side. Cimini points out: "what college star wouldn't relish a chance to play in the New York market for a quarterback-starved franchise?" It would be a chance for him to be a hero and savior.  Additionally, there is much more money to be made hawking various products in larger market areas... and money is the great equalizer.

Sure there's a chance he leaves us at alter. Who knows?

Lebron, Durant, Harden, Peyton, and Steph Curry are the highest paid (by endorsements) active athletes in team sports and they all play in secondary markets. Playing in New York helped a guy like Jeter, (who sucked on the field but was wildly overhyped because he was affiliated with the Yankee brand) but that had a lot more to do with the Yankees outspending people by $100 mil on average. Other than that, the NY=endorsement gold has never really played out for anyone since the internet was invented.

This is all about how Darnold plays this season...if he starts out poor and has an average season he will just say he intends on staying in school to "Help the Program" or because he wants to help them win a championship when all along it's just because he sucked and wants to have a shot at the first overall the next year. On the other hand if he has a great year and solidifies the top pick it will be hard to not come out...he could have an injury or a down year staying in school and risking millions.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

i mean this pretty stupid imo. if he is the number 1 pick he is going to play for a team that wasn't good either way. the jets, next year, will have a lot of resources to build the team up. you'd have to be an idiot to turn down number 1 pick money and risk injury only to get picked by another crappy team the next year anyway

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

i mean this pretty stupid imo. if he is the number 1 pick he is going to play for a team that wasn't good either way. the jets, next year, will have a lot of resources to build the team up. you'd have to be an idiot to turn down number 1 pick money and risk injury only to get picked by another crappy team the next year anyway

Ah a rational thought such a rarity around here lately.. ;)

First, the GM and coach has nothing to do with the decision.  The HC and GM that drafted Peyton Manning, Winston, and Mariota were all gone by year 2 so that shouldn't play a part.  

Ownership does play a part.  And perhaps with Woody being away, might be a positive thing.

Plus, even if Darnold stays another year, it's not like the Jets will be that much better in 2019.  Yes we will have a ton of cap space but if we haven't settled the QB position why throw all that money at free agents?  By doing that would be wasting everything they are doing this year.

29 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

All teams with bad records are not the same. As with the Mannings, you pick your owner, not the roster because you can fix a roster. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think this misses the bigger question: should Darnold come out if the zjets have the first overall? The franchise has been a vitamix blender for young QBs and, no doubt, Darnold's people will know that. Consider the environment he'd be walking into: Bowles and Maccagnan hanging on by a thread going into Year Four, the worst roster in the NFL, Bilal Powell and Quincy Enunwa as the major offensive threats on the team, and an iffy situation (at best) at OLT. IMO, there's no way I willfully allow myself to be drafted into this scenario. 

Just show him pics of Joe Willie in sunglasses, wearing fur coats and hot chicks hanging on his arm. That'll surely persuade him. 

if the pussy is afraid of the big lights of NYC, of taking on the challenge of turning things around as part of the solution, hes a loser who I wouldnt want on the team, move on to someone else willing to take on the curse for the fame and stardom that wouldnt be matched anywhere else.  This is assuming hes the top QB as Peyton was.  9 games last season proves little

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Who cares.  If he does, we draft someone else.  ffs, such whining.

For realz. This Darnold frenzy is getting to be a bit much as if he's the only QB who might declare next year. There's about 3-4 other guys who can be considered just as good, maybe better. 

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

He has a massive dip in his motion. This kid is no where near a Manning type prospect.

Settle down

And food for the Hack haters he's in Palmers camp having his footwork straightened out.  

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Judging by the responses to this thread, the response will be "he's not that good anyway probably I liked [checks WalterFootball] the Louisville guy better."

I watched 20 seconds of him and spotted the dip. Sorry to spoil the pity party

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If Jordan Palmer could fix quarterbacks he'd actually might have had a real career. 

So youre saying he cant?  Another bitontism.  You know so much, why arent you in the business?  Save these stupid moron QBs from throwing their money away.  Their advisors and teams must also be dumb as rocks

BTW, he has a real career fixing QBs.  Not sitting on the internet complaining that he doesnt

1 minute ago, Larz said:

So you agree he is not a Manning type of prospect?

I actually didn't like Manning as a prospect. Couldn't beat Florida. Folded like a lawn chair when the pressure was on him, which was the story of his NFL career. 

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

So you agree he is not a Manning type of prospect?

He's not a Manning type prospect by definition. Or a Luck or even an Elway. Why? Because all of those players had fathers who were pro football quarterbacks. 

Sam Darnold is a very good prospect but his bloodline is most famous for having a Marlboro Man actor as a grandfather.

people forget how much nepotism/bloodlines play a part in the draft. Darnold is very good but doesn't have the provenance.  

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So youre saying he cant?  Another bitontism.  You know so much, why arent you in the business?  Save these stupid moron QBs from throwing their money away.  Their advisors and teams must also be dumb as rocks

BTW, he has a real career fixing QBs.  Not sitting on the internet complaining that he doesnt

Can you remember any game or play made by Jordan Palmer? 

As a player not as a coach. 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I actually didn't like Manning as a prospect. Couldn't beat Florida. Folded like a lawn chair when the pressure was on him, which was the story of his NFL career. 

Text book delivery, laser rocket arm, 6'2” (not counting the forehead) could read defenses, great leader. 

If the pats didn't cheat, he would have probably 3 rings. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's not a Manning type prospect by definition. Or a Luck or even an Elway. Why? Because all of those players had fathers who were pro football quarterbacks. 

Sam Darnold is a very good prospect but his bloodline is most famous for having a Marlboro Man actor as a grandfather.

people forget how much nepotism/bloodlines play a part in the draft. Darnold is very good but doesn't have the provenance.  

Yeah, or the old coaches son deal. Jets Fan's Love to kill parcells, but it was Archie's fear of the saints that kept Manning in school

Archived