Could Darnold pull a Peyton? Cimini Ponders

T0mShane

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Can you remember any game or play made by Jordan Palmer? 

As a player not as a coach. 

And to you, you have to be a good player to coach?

Want to why guys like Frank Robinson, Russel etc couldnt coach and a 40 year minor league pitcher in Lasorda or a scrub player like Stengle were great managers?  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a real gamble for a QB to stay an extra year.  They risk the money, and they risk their team-they can go into the frying pan into the fryer.

From a business perspective I think the move has to be that if you think you are going to be a top 3-5 pick, you enter the draft and take the money.  Look at all the players whose careers were damaged by injury-Teddy Bridgewater for one.

A college QB could deciede to stay in school longer, get better training, avoid a disaster of a team like the Jets, and that decision could work out for the better in the long run, but it could also disasterously fail.  if the $20mm is there year 1, you take it and deal with the rest of the negative factors later.

Its a real gamble for a QB to stay an extra year.  They risk the money, and they risk their team-they can go into the frying pan into the fryer.
From a business perspective I think the move has to be that if you think you are going to be a top 3-5 pick, you enter the draft and take the money.  Look at all the players whose careers were damaged by injury-Teddy Bridgewater for one.
A college QB could deciede to stay in school longer, get better training, avoid a disaster of a team like the Jets, and that decision could work out for the better in the long run, but it could also disasterously fail.  if the $20mm is there year 1, you take it and deal with the rest of the negative factors later.

It makes ZERO sense to stay in school...

1. You risk not being the number one pick.
2. You may get injured with another year of college ball.
3. You lose a year of earning potential ... which could could be tens of millions.
4. all you gain is a year of college ball experience which is getting further and further from the pro game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

A college QB could deciede to stay in school longer, get better training, avoid a disaster of a team like the Jets, and ...

... and end up playing for the Cleveland Browns! :D 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Text book delivery, laser rocket arm, 6'2” (not counting the forehead) could read defenses, great leader. 

If the pats didn't cheat, he would have probably 3 rings. 

If the Pats could have beat Eli Manning's Giants they would have 2 more rings..:)

this is all so much speculation.;  who knows what darnold is going to do?  the first thing he has to do is perform at a level as high or higher than he did last season.  and then if the jets want him then they need to show they can put a decent team around him.  

If Sam is smart, he'll maximize his chance to be a #1 pick.  Why would he care what team he goes to?  Every #1 draft pick goes to the worst team.  If he stays in college an extra year and gets hurt or doesn't play as well, his stock tumbles and his paycheck falls with it.  I say he declares this year if he stays on top.  

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Can you remember any game or play made by Jordan Palmer? 

As a player not as a coach. 

The f*ck does that have to do with his ability to coach?

Jordan is his brothers personal coach and Carson has the cleanest motion and footwork in the entire league.

He's worked with big name 1st round prospects and is getting a rep as a great QB Guru.

4 hours ago, Larz said:

He has a massive dip in his motion. This kid is no where near a Manning type prospect.

Settle down

It's not nearly as massive as you all think it is.  His release time, which is far more important, is fine.  He's also compacted the motion quite a bit in the off-season.  He's gonna be fine and if he comes out like he did last year he will absolutely get an Andrew Luck/Manning prospect.  You're kidding yourself if you believe anything otherwise.  I say this as a huge Josh Rosen/Mason Rudolph guy.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

It's not nearly as massive as you all think it is.  His release time, which is far more important, is fine.  He's also compacted the motion quite a bit in the off-season.  He's gonna be fine and if he comes out like he did last year he will absolutely get an Andrew Luck/Manning prospect.  You're kidding yourself if you believe anything otherwise.  I say this as a huge Josh Rosen/Mason Rudolph guy.

Tebow fixed his dip too. 

This kid is no Manning type prospect, or luck. 

Lol

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Tebow fixed his dip too. 

This kid is no Manning type prospect, or luck. 

Lol

Tim Tebow had far worse mechanics, awful accuracy, and a slow release time.  Darnold's is a little elongated and has already worked on it.  He's got everything else covered. 

Again, if he repeats last year with a larger sample size, he will get that type of grade.  You're wrong.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lebron, Durant, Harden, Peyton, and Steph Curry are the highest paid (by endorsements) active athletes in team sports and they all play in secondary markets. Playing in New York helped a guy like Jeter, (who sucked on the field but was wildly overhyped because he was affiliated with the Yankee brand) but that had a lot more to do with the Yankees outspending people by $100 mil on average. Other than that, the NY=endorsement gold has never really played out for anyone since the internet was invented.

https://fansided.com/2017/05/23/odell-beckham-jr-signs-record-endorsement-deal-nike/

"Nike decided to match an offer that Beckham Jr. received from Adidas that is believed to be for five years and more than $29 million. He notes the deal could eventually escalate to as much as $48 million over eight years"

Just how much does a guy have to make before you consider it "endorsement gold"?

46 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Tim Tebow had far worse mechanics, awful accuracy, and a slow release time.  Darnold's is a little elongated and has already worked on it.  He's got everything else covered. 

Again, if he repeats last year with a larger sample size, he will get that type of grade.  You're wrong.

I'm really not afraid of the draft niks giving him a grade higher than they gave manziel, lololol

he has a lot of work to do just to get to carson palmers neighborhood.

the hype machine is already silly for this kid. geno had better stats, sanchez had a better rose bowl. vince young was going to revolutionize the QB position after vick was going to do it

maning was once in a generation, I'm not going to even entertain that comparison

luck was once in a decade, I just don't see it

cam newton is way ahead of this kid

right now I put him in the winston/mariota class

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm really not afraid of the draft niks giving him a grade higher than they gave manziel, lololol

he has a lot of work to do just to get to carson palmers neighborhood.

the hype machine is already silly for this kid. geno had better stats, sanchez had a better rose bowl. vince young was going to revolutionize the QB position after vick was going to do it

maning was once in a generation, I'm not going to even entertain that comparison

luck was once in a decade, I just don't see it

cam newton is way ahead of this kid

right now I put him in the winston/mariota class

Correct you are and a Winston /  Mariota comp may still be a bit generous given he could still fall flat this season.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The f*ck does that have to do with his ability to coach?

Jordan is his brothers personal coach and Carson has the cleanest motion and footwork in the entire league.

He's worked with big name 1st round prospects and is getting a rep as a great QB Guru.

Yeah but he's not bitonti approved. He the expert.

19 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

it would be so jets  if he stayed unless he has a bad year.   but i cant think of a recent qb who decied to stay when considered the number 1 overall pick. peyton was the last unless u count matt barkley

Matt Leinart in 2005

Bottom Line: Darnold isn't leaving USC early to play for this joke of a regime he said it himself on ESPN the jets shouldn't tank for him

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Matt Leinart in 2005

Bottom Line: Darnold isn't leaving USC early to play for this joke of a regime he said it himself on ESPN the jets shouldn't tank for him

Yeah, he wants to go to another top team with a huge upside at the top of the draft.  In a small market, playing in front a half empty stadium.

I hope Sam or any other top prospect never hires someone like you to make career advisements for them.  How stupid would it be to pass on the top spot in the draft, with the extra money, to go to NYC.  

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

He's not a Manning type prospect by definition. Or a Luck or even an Elway. Why? Because all of those players had fathers who were pro football quarterbacks. 

Sam Darnold is a very good prospect but his bloodline is most famous for having a Marlboro Man actor as a grandfather.

people forget how much nepotism/bloodlines play a part in the draft. Darnold is very good but doesn't have the provenance.  

In fairness to the English language, I think the word you want is "pedigree," not "provenance."

19 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Correct you are and a Winston /  Mariota comp may still be a bit generous given he could still fall flat this season.

He could go either way, I think the best he can hope for is the Newton/Palmer league. That's a really nice league, but I don't think people will be talking about missing out on this kid 20 years from now

On 7/22/2017 at 2:38 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

it would be so jets  if he stayed unless he has a bad year.   but i cant think of a recent qb who decied to stay when considered the number 1 overall pick. peyton was the last unless u count matt barkley

It's definitely less common, since there's noplace to go but down (from #1), but Leinart is the most glaring example other than Peyton. San Fran couldn't find anyone to trade for their #1 overall pick in 2005. Even though lots may have liked Alex Smith, nobody (including SF) liked him that much, to give him a rookie contract with $25m guaranteed back when the cap was half what it is today. There was nobody else seen as worth that contract then either. Leinart would have been the obvious #1 pick. 

I didn't follow his career that closely, but that's my recollection of how he was talked about, and that it was surprising that he returned for his sr year.

Archived