Could Darnold pull a Peyton? Cimini Ponders

T0mShane

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's definitely less common, since there's noplace to go but down (from #1), but Leinart is the most glaring example other than Peyton. San Fran couldn't find anyone to trade for their #1 overall pick in 2005. Even though lots may have liked Alex Smith, nobody (including SF) liked him that much, to give him a rookie contract with $25m guaranteed back when the cap was half what it is today. There was nobody else seen as worth that contract then either. Leinart would have been the obvious #1 pick. 

I didn't follow his career that closely, but that's my recollection of how he was talked about, and that it was surprising that he returned for his sr year.

It never happens anymore because agents are in the college kids ears about that second contract as soon as they hit sophomore status. Its why the number of early entrants is so high and so many dont get selected. Leinart was one of the last guys projected as a top pick to fall like that and Id guess he was an example of why Sanchez came in when he did even though so many people said to stay in school. Leinart lost a ton of money coming back to USC. I'd also agree with you on Smith. The 49ers tried to shop that from what I recall but nobody was in love with either smith or Rodgers, which is why Rodgers fell so far to Green Bay.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's definitely less common, since there's noplace to go but down (from #1), but Leinart is the most glaring example other than Peyton. San Fran couldn't find anyone to trade for their #1 overall pick in 2005. Even though lots may have liked Alex Smith, nobody (including SF) liked him that much, to give him a rookie contract with $25m guaranteed back when the cap was half what it is today. There was nobody else seen as worth that contract then either. Leinart would have been the obvious #1 pick. 

I didn't follow his career that closely, but that's my recollection of how he was talked about, and that it was surprising that he returned for his sr year.

you and the others who mentioned leinart are correct. totally forgot about him

On 7/22/2017 at 2:38 PM, CotcheryifyouCan said:

it would be so jets  if he stayed unless he has a bad year.   but i cant think of a recent qb who decied to stay when considered the number 1 overall pick. peyton was the last unless u count matt barkley

It's ironic, Darnold's rise to the #1 overall pick status was very similar to Christian Hackenberg's rise to the #1 pick status. 1 big game, late in the year and the 1st overall pick was born. Hack proceeded to regress.  Barkley is another.  Brad Kaya (though I dont think he was ever considered #1, he was up there).  Colt McCoy?  I feel like he was up there too but regressed his senior year. Leinart.  

Maybe not a sure fire lock #1 but plenty of QB have hurt their draft stock by staying in school. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also Andrew Luck could have come out in 2011 after his redshirt soph year, and there's a good chance he'd have been the #1 pick over Cam. 

Yes but Carolina didn't have the skilled tandem of Todd Bowles & Mike Macagnan

Archived