The Odd Man Out: Matt Forte

Tony MaC

13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

We were never a contender coming off that 10 win season behind Fitz's impossible to duplicate performance.  Anyone with half a brain knew this.  It was a bad signing compounded by Gailey's misuse of the talent.       

Yeah, we know that today, few if any were singing that song after 10 wins.  Just about everyone, tv, radio, print and here had us in the playoffs.  

Feel bad for Forte? Lol. Hey, if he wanted to be a FA again this year, I'm sure the Jets would have obliged him if he said he'd forgo any and all guaranteed 2017 money due.

If McGuire is anything at the pro level as a runner, and could be a productive back for the next 5-6 years, then spending a throwaway rookie season learning from Forte/Powell isn't the worst thing I could imagine. No need to run him into the ground already at age 23, and let him win playing time anyway before it's all just handed to him. Especially a job that often calls for him to pick up blitzes when he's not handed the ball.

It's all a matter of degree. If we spend the first 6+ weeks running Forte into the ground, and then the next 5-10 weeks after that have him still split time and get about half the carries or more, the reason had better be that everyone else is injured and/or McGuire is totally clueless and awful.

11 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You people are unreal some days. 

Forte is a pass catching RB who was not thrown the ball and ran up the middle over and over again. The OC was a darn stubborn idiot who had no idea how to use a RB like Forte or a TE for that matter. 

He should have been a great help to this team. He still can be just by helping the kids at QB if the new OC has any clue. 

When people insist Gailey was so great, reread this. Guy pretended it was 1973 and mindlessly running up the middle against huge 2016 DLs  was a sensible plan on 1st and 2nd down. Forte is not Chris Ivory, and using him like Chris ivory was really dumb. He can only work out running wide or catching passes in space. But we have a HC that knows nothing of offense. 

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

When people insist Gailey was so great, reread this. Guy pretended it was 1973 and mindlessly running up the middle against huge 2016 DLs  was a sensible plan on 1st and 2nd down. Forte is not Chris Ivory, and using him like Chris ivory was really dumb. He can only work out running wide or catching passes in space. But we have a HC that knows nothing of offense. 

Will John Morton use him correctly?  I assume Bowles will do whatever Morton endorses.

18 hours ago, j4jets said:

But what a fantastic signing that was!

Most of Macs garbage gets categorized in 3 categories:

1. $8mil for a starting QB is amazing! ($8mil!)

2. We can get out of that monster deal in a year or two  

And the best one:

3. That move had Woody written all over it

4. Mac was forced into that mistake because Idzik had a bad draft 4 years ago.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Interesting considering Forte was mediocre in an offense that suited him last year

Just the opposite.  They didn't throw to him much and his pass catching was a huge part of his game in Chicago.  I saw them consistently feed him the ball between the tackles, which is probably not the best mix of plays he is suited for.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Just the opposite.  They didn't throw to him much and his pass catching was a huge part of his game in Chicago.  I saw them consistently feed him the ball between the tackles, which is probably not the best mix of plays he is suited for.

Forte had 30 catches on 43 targets as essentially a part time back who was out 2 games.  They threw to him plenty he was ineffective and clearly lost a step he was smoked after week 1

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

This is absolutely not true in the slightest bit. 

43 targets for a part-time back is a lot. Again I think you guys are stuck in a time warp from 5 years ago Forte is a glorified JAG now you want to blame Fitz, Geno and Petty for sucking fair enough but the offense absolutely suited him

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

43 targets for a part-time back is a lot. Again I think you guys are stuck in a time warp from 5 years ago Forte is a glorified JAG now you want to blame Fitz, Geno and Petty for sucking fair enough but the offense absolutely suited him

You are in so far over your head you can't see anything. 

He was pulled on third down constantly. He was ran up the middle over and over and over again.  Chans offense was terrible for a pass catching RB.  43 attempts is three a game, that's terrible for a RB that was one of the best in the game at it.   So again I say you are wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You are in so far over your head you can't see anything. 

He was pulled on third down constantly. He was ran up the middle over and over and over again.  Chans offense was terrible for a pass catching RB.  43 attempts is three a game, that's terrible for a RB that was one of the best in the game at it.   So again I say you are wrong. 

He was an every down back in Chicago and in today's pass happy NFL teams throw a lot on 1st and 2nd down

But I'm sorry Bilal Powell was so much more effective I guess the offense somehow suited him but not Farte

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Feel bad for Forte? Lol. Hey, if he wanted to be a FA again this year, I'm sure the Jets would have obliged him if he said he'd forgo any and all guaranteed 2017 money due.

If McGuire is anything at the pro level as a runner, and could be a productive back for the next 5-6 years, then spending a throwaway rookie season learning from Forte/Powell isn't the worst thing I could imagine. No need to run him into the ground already at age 23, and let him win playing time anyway before it's all just handed to him. Especially a job that often calls for him to pick up blitzes when he's not handed the ball.

It's all a matter of degree. If we spend the first 6+ weeks running Forte into the ground, and then the next 5-10 weeks after that have him still split time and get about half the carries or more, the reason had better be that everyone else is injured and/or McGuire is totally clueless and awful.

The sad thing is the Bears replaced Matt Farte with a 5th round pick Jordan Howard who is currently a 10x better player with 5.2 ypc

1 minute ago, thadude said:

He was an every down back in Chicago and in today's pass happy NFL teams throw a lot on 1st and 2nd down

But I'm sorry Bilal Powell was so much more effective I guess the offense somehow suited him but not Forte

Lmao.  You should try watching games so you will know what happened. 

7 hours ago, thadude said:

The sad thing is the Bears replaced Matt Farte with a 5th round pick Jordan Howard who is currently a 10x better player with 5.2 ypc

Are you trying to cheer me up? If so, you're doing it wrong, lol.

A rookie power back like Howard certainly have been a far more appropriate to pair with Powell than Forte. Unless the pickup was to provide a great receiving/blocking veteran back to help develop a rookie QB, it was foolish to sign a 31 yr old RB, with 2000 carries and 500 receptions, who missed ~25% of the prior season with another MCL sprain, to a $9m guaranteed deal, plus (since he was a full UFA) essentially losing a 5th rounder the following year for the privilege.

We could have had as many as 4 comp picks in 2017 - 3 were slam dunks - and we walked away with 1 (and even that 1 only resulted from the UFA pickup being so bad we could justify cutting him after $3m for half a season as a 4th stringer). Obviously our GM didn't consider those extra picks worthless because he kept trading down to get them back.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:04 AM, Tony MaC said:

As I sit here bored out of my mind waiting for the waning days before training camp to be over (Friday!) I started thinking about how young the team have is and how few aging vets we have on roster. We only have four players over the age of thirty, journeyman QB Josh McCown, Tanner Purdum, Long Snapper extraordinaire, okay starting Nose Tackle until or unless he's not Steve McLendon, and... Matt Forte.

Forte, a man that's only been to the playoffs once in his career, came to a team that had his former Bear buddy Brandon Marshall on it that just barely missed the dance. He was meant to help maintain the success of a winning team if not help put that team over the top by complimenting the capable WR duo of Decker and Marshall. Instead he was part of a trend of underperforming well paid veterans as he turned in the lowest amount of rushing and receiving yards in his career making no impact in a terribly disappointing season.

Now we're a team almost 100% committed to youth and I'm left wondering... why is he on this team?

I say this as rhetorical question, I know full well WHY he's on the team- there's no cap savings if he's cut and since he isn't a locker room headache and there aren't any young RB's being held down by him being on the roster (as far as we can tell) we may as well keep him around another year.

But just thematically, he sticks out like a sore thumb the more I look at our roster. That's not just because he's old mind you, but because he's the last albatross from a team trying in vain to "win now" on a team that is more concerned about tomorrow.

And its awkward. DAMN awkward.

At Least McCown knew what he signed up for, he's here to be a bridge QB on a growing team and nothing more. This team was likely Forte's last chance at being on a relevant team, he could have gone to the Pats. Instead he's on a rebuilding team that, unless he put up gaudy numbers or supported a young QB in irreplaceable manner, will cut him by next winter.

And he's the ONLY guy like that. In some ways I feel bad for him. But really I'm just curious what kind of season he turns in. He doesn't strike me as the type to mope but this has to be hanging over his head right?

The guy had 1,000 combined rushing and receiving yards and 8 TD's, so he is HARDLY over the hill and he will be a vital cog this season as the Jets run game will be what helps Hackenberg have success. I don't think Forte will be "hanging his head"

33 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The guy had 1,000 combined rushing and receiving yards and 8 TD's, so he is HARDLY over the hill and he will be a vital cog this season as the Jets run game will be what helps Hackenberg have success. I don't think Forte will be "hanging his head"

• 28 yrs old: 1933 yds-12 TDs (289-1339-9 rushing, 74-594-3 receiving)
  • 29 yrs old: 1846 yds-10 TDs (266-1038-6 rushing, 102-808-4 receiving)
  • 30 yrs old: 1287 yds-7 TDs (218-898-4 rushing, 44-389-3 receiving)
  • 31 yrs old: 1076 yds-8 TDs (218-813-7 rushing, 30-263-1 receiving)

It's an obvious downward trend. He is clearly and obviously over the hill (i.e. old, for a RB, and definitely past his prime). To suggest otherwise would mean one believes he's still in his prime.

Powell isn't one of the NFL's greatest nor fastest RBs and in 2016 the difference between the two was obvious to anyone with eyes, and this is going to be another season later. Forte looked slow by week 2 last year. I don't fault the guy; he's taken countless hits/beatings over a long career. 

While I don't feel badly for him being in this situation, since he's well compensated, I do think he will be "hanging his head" at least to some degree this year. This can't be how he wanted to finish out his career. They all get older and slower and can't do the things they used to, but he's smart enough to realize he's part of a throwaway/rebuild season that's a 16-game tryout/practice for others. Then he's getting tossed in the trash to hit FA as a 33 yr old RB coming off 4 consecutive, progressively worse seasons in a row.

If he's not hanging his head it's only because he's happy with the money he's getting here. 

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Are you trying to cheer me up? If so, you're doing it wrong, lol.

A rookie power back like Howard certainly have been a far more appropriate to pair with Powell than Forte. Unless the pickup was to provide a great receiving/blocking veteran back to help develop a rookie QB, it was foolish to sign a 31 yr old RB, with 2000 carries and 500 receptions, who missed ~25% of the prior season with another MCL sprain, to a $9m guaranteed deal, plus (since he was a full UFA) essentially losing a 5th rounder the following year for the privilege.

We could have had as many as 4 comp picks in 2017 - 3 were slam dunks - and we walked away with 1 (and even that 1 only resulted from the UFA pickup being so bad we could justify cutting him after $3m for half a season as a 4th stringer). Obviously our GM didn't consider those extra picks worthless because he kept trading down to get them back.

But that's all Idzik's fault Sperm

On 7/23/2017 at 10:15 AM, BigO said:

That's not the only reason Dcat. The Jets will not be slinging it around like a frisbee this upcoming season. It's going to be a methodical offense that produces minimal points. Lot of running, lot of drop offs to backs and TE's.  It will be Chad Penningtonesque.  Forte will be perfect for this boring, mundane visionless offense.  I feel badly for him. He's had a fine career but he made a critical mistake coming here. 

I legit forgot that Forte hadn't been cut. If his salary wasn't guaranteed, they would have methodically cut him and replaced him someone younger and cheaper.

• 4 months later...

Archived