Pre-preseason predictions

Pointdexter

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Not on this team. 

See, that was my point this whole time. Maybe you'll get it in this post, but I don't know...

The GM on this team does not have the power to fire the head coach. He and Bowles are separate but equal entities who each report directly to the owner. Neither has authority over the other. To the best of my knowledge, the Jets are the only team in the league who operate in such a idiotic, dysfunctional way. 

And, also, there are a number of head coaches around the league who run the show and can fire anyone but the owner at any time. 

Woody has said that Macc can fire the HC but he does have to run it by him.  Think he said if they disagreed the GM would win out.  That the owner wants or likes to talk to each, as many teams are set up, doesnt make them equals or dysfunctional or idiotic.  Cant figure out how, on any level its idiotic for the owner of a 2+ billion dollar team to want to talk with a high ranking employee.  

Giants?  Coughlin always spoke with Mara and Tish, going to assume GM did also.  You can try and convince me of this, stick to convincing me that you believe this to be true.  I dont.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

If a HC doesn't play a 1st round pick before the reason you give he'll soon become an unemployed HC.  GMs fire HCs, not the other way around.  Using this argument the GM could leave the HC with one QB if we're going off to the extreme

we can only hope.

Woody has said that Macc can fire the HC but he does have to run it by him.  Think he said if they disagreed the GM would win out.  That the owner wants or likes to talk to each, as many teams are set up, doesnt make them equals or dysfunctional or idiotic.  Cant figure out how, on any level its idiotic for the owner of a 2+ billion dollar team to want to talk with a high ranking employee.  

Giants?  Coughlin always spoke with Mara and Tish, going to assume GM did also.  You can try and convince me of this, stick to convincing me that you believe this to be true.  I dont.

Link or it didn't happen

Youre obsessed arent you?

You said you were going about 30 posts ago.

Fun owning someone 

You have no idea how obsessed I am with you. I dream about you, I draw pictures of you. I have stuffed animals that I call JetNut. And much more. I sometimes put lipstick on and tuck my kibbles and bits up and think of you.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm giving the bold four Pinnochios until you prove otherwise. 

The rest of your post is some weird argument that you're having with yourself. No one has said that Woody can't talk to anyone under his employ. It's the lack of a proper hierarchy that's dysfunctional and idiotic. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm giving the bold four Pinnochios until you prove otherwise. 

The rest of your post is some weird argument that you're having with yourself. No one has said that Woody can't talk to anyone under his employ. It's the lack of a proper hierarchy that's dysfunctional and idiotic. 

No you didn't say he can't speak to anyone who works for him.  You just said talking to the HC and GM makes the Jets dysfunctional and idiotic.  That you and some others live under some imaginary rules of the way a hierarchy isn't my weird argument with myself.  You apparently have no idea that the Jets aren't alone 

let's end it, calling me a liar when you have no idea is nice  too. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

No you didn't say he can't speak to anyone who works for him.  You just said talking to the HC and GM makes the Jets dysfunctional and idiotic.  That you and some others live under some imaginary rules of the way a hierarchy isn't my weird argument with myself.  You apparently have no idea that the Jets aren't alone 

let's end it. 

Quote me saying that. I'll wait here. 

No other team, to the best of my knowledge, has a head coach and GM that don't have a boss-employee relationship. 

On 7/23/2017 at 6:41 PM, Pointdexter said:

Yes, hard to find tons of positives on the precipous of a 3-13 season. I hate it but I call it the way it is.

I guess I will have egg all over my face when we win 10 games and Hack lights it up. ;)

scrambled or over easy?  true enough this team is very hard to judge but considering how there are so few elite teams in the nfl, a few lucky ball bounces and this team could surprise.  i'm looking at the guys who are not here and, for the most part, they are worse than the guys taking their place.  the team has improved.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

honestly, i haven't heard that.  is the converse true?  can bowles force mac out?  i have no problem with woody wanting the decision to be run by him.  i guess in a strange way if either guy has the power to force the other out it would be a little strange. i think one of the issues, at least with the fans here, is that they don't really want bowles or mac associated with jets.

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

GMs fire HCs

Not on this team they don't. Name the last Jets GM who was behind the firing of a Jets HC. You'd have to go back over 20 years

• Rex fired by Woody on the same day he fired Idzik
  • Mangini fired by Woody, not by his then-BFF Tannenbaum
  • Herm quit (officially the Jets traded him, but he was already talking to KC)
  • Groh quit
  • Belichick quit
  • Parcells quit
  • Kotite was fired by Hess; Parcells became the HC/GM combo
  • Carroll was fired by Hess; Kotite became the HC/GM combo
  • Coslett = probably the last Jets HC who was fired by the GM (Steinberg?)

@nyjunc can correct me if I'm remembering any of this wrong.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:23 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Not on this team they don't. Name the last Jets GM who was behind the firing of a Jets HC. You'd have to go back over 20 years

• Groh quit
  • Belichick quit
  • Parcells quit

Not sure that Tanny was actually named a real GM for BB or Groh.  

Coslet was the HC under Steinberg.  Hess didn't have a real GM until Steinberg was hired.  

Two different owners though.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not sure that Tanny was actually named a real GM for BB or Groh.  

Coslet was the HC under Steinberg.  Hess didn't have a real GM until Steinberg was hired.  

Two different owners though.

I'm missing the part where I'm supposedly wrong, necessitating a correction. As I said, Coslet was the last Jets HC fired by his GM. Since then the Jets had 8 HCs in a row that came and went without being fired by a GM. That may be more the norm on other teams, but not with the Jets, through two owners.

And WTF does it matter who the GM was above BB/Groh? They weren't fired; they quit. Why would any Jets fan ever think Tannenbaum was anywhere in GM discussion back in 2000? The GM was Parcells. After him was Bradway. Then after that, in 2006, they demoted Bradway and promoted Tannenbaum.

The Patriots beat the Giants in the revenge bowl. Brandon Marshall gets credit for mentoring obj to his mvp performance.

The Jets beat the chargers on Christmas Eve to secure the 7th pick.

You can see this coming a mile away

On 7/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, JiF said:

Meh, there is probably some truth to this especially in the 1st round (although 2 of the 3 years decisions were basically made for them - Leo and Adams) but I doubt Todd Bowles wanted Hack or Devin Smith in the 2nd round.  Especially Smith.  At that point, they actually looked to have some nice depth at WR, Smith sucked as a prospect and there were a ton of defenders taken after him that fit what Todd tries to do on D. 

Hack?  I doubt that was Todd's influence.  Granted, this was the same guy willing to tie his career to Fitzpatrick but still.  I just dont see that being a Bowles pick at all.  

And then back to back WR's this year too?  I dont.  Just dont see that being the work of Todd Bowles. 

I think it is absolutely true for round 1.  There is no other way to explain the round 1 picks in the aggregate ever since Rex hand picked Sanchez based on his man-love for him watching him throw to teenagers on a California high school field with Tanny along for the ride.  I don't think it's true for any other rounds.  I believe Woody has a policy of deferring to the HC for round 1.  

Rex: Sanchez, Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples (Remember Rex promised him he would pick him)  Milliner, Richardson, Pryor

Bowles: Williams, Lee, Adams.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm missing the part where I'm supposedly wrong, necessitating a correction. As I said, Coslet was the last Jets HC fired by his GM. Since then the Jets had 8 HCs in a row that came and went without being fired by a GM. That may be more the norm on other teams, but not with the Jets, through two owners.

And WTF does it matter who the GM was above BB/Groh? They weren't fired; they quit. Why would any Jets fan ever think Tannenbaum was anywhere in GM discussion back in 2000? The GM was Parcells. After him was Bradway. Then after that, in 2006, they demoted Bradway and promoted Tannenbaum.

You know every time someone replies it's not to say you're wrong.  It can be to expand on what you were saying.  

WTF is right.  What are we babies? Because I said we rarely had a GM in place with Hess?  

• Groh quit
  • Belichick quit
  • Parcells quit

that seems about right though my guess is Hess pressured Steinberg into firing Coslet.  for my childhood years we never even had an official GM.  I think Steinberg was the first one since at least the 70s.  the only real chance for a GM to fire a coach in recent years would have been for Tannenbaum to fire Mangini.  the 4 coaches before him all walked away, Idzik got fired before he could execute his plan to fire Rex.

On 7/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, Jet Nut said:

Your list isnt about wins and losses, its about predictions based on your opinions.  I have every right to give you mine.  I think youre wrong on a lot of these.  Along with 3 wins.

It'll be more like 2 wins: 2-14. Getting 3 wins is something to write home about. 

26 minutes ago, BigO said:

It'll be more like 2 wins: 2-14. Getting 3 wins is something to write home about. 

Good, that's you're opinion too.

And when you're wrong you'll be back under another of your names never to talk about this again

• Groh quit
  • Belichick quit
  • Parcells quit

The encyclopedia has spoken.

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Good, that's you're opinion too.

And when you're wrong you'll be back under another of your names never to talk about this again

1 name. 16 personalities. 1 take on '17 season: 2-14 Top 3 pick in draft.  We will suck bad for a variety of reasons due to Mac's adherence of Eisenstein's definition of insanity 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'. Who are you? who who who who. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 6:16 PM, Pointdexter said:

1) The top 2 vote getters for offensive rookie of the year will be Deshaun Watson and Dalvin Cook. We could have had both on our roster.

2) Jamal Adams will be the QB of our defense from the jump and a nice consolation from missing on Watson. And yes I realize this is far from a thin limb I'm walking on.

3) Regardless of my above praise of Adams, the safety-safety draft strategy will be mocked all year and go down as one of the bigger Jets blunders. Yes, I'm not very high on MM. Moreover, two safeties don't move the needle in turning around a franchise. 

4) Our defense is good enough to win 4-6 games with McCown starting. However we go winless in games Hackenberg starts and plays the majority of the snaps. The team can't win if we're turning it over and Hack is just too inaccurate to avoid INTs from nfl-level corners.

5) It will become obvious Forte is officially done. Powell is our best hope toting the rock and we need to find him help. This last draft was loaded with rbs and we missed an opportunity to get some serious value there.

6) The OL will be better than expected. And so will the LBs. 

7) Wrs are an interesting group with a lot of jags. No true go-to guy. Chad Hansen will be one of the better players by the end of the season. 

8) Bryce Petty will move ahead of Hack by year's end and will be brought back next year as a backup. 

9) Wilkerson will be much improved this season. Sheldon will have his moments but he will not come anywhere close to returning to all-pro level. He's gone after this year and no one will be disappointed with that.

Just thought I'd check on my predictions from way back in July.

So far it looks like:

1) (mostly right) Both guys starting for their respective teams which is impressive. Cook will be a star and almost definitely in the running for ROY. Watson needs to step up a bit but he will have every opportunity. 

2) (somewhat right) Adams is a good leader and a good player but not a great decision at #6 considering the value and circumstances of being able to trade back.

3) (100% right)  Safety-safety strategy will be mocked for years to come. 

4) (somewhat right) We are not good enough on D to win 4-6 games. The Hack stuff is 100% spot on. He's terrible and most of us knew this way back when. 

5) (right) Forte is washed up and our ground game isnt good. We should have addressed RB with Cook or one of the others.

6) (mostly right) OL is decent but not great. LBs are avg but not complete disaster. Still need upgrades at both spots.

7) (somewhat right) WRs are jags. Hansen does not appear to be emerging so far. We'll see as year goes on.

8) (100% right) Nailed this one even though it was an unpopular take at the time.

9) (butt fumble ) Wilk is a lazy bum that will be let go soon.

On 7/23/2017 at 6:41 PM, Pointdexter said:

Yes, hard to find tons of positives on the precipous of a 3-13 season. I hate it but I call it the way it is.

I guess I will have egg all over my face when we win 10 games and Hack lights it up. ;)

On 7/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, Jet Nut said:

Your list isnt about wins and losses, its about predictions based on your opinions.  I have every right to give you mine.  I think youre wrong on a lot of these.  Along with 3 wins.

Adams is a fine pick but a 2nd S pick means we'll be mocked all year and go down as one of the bigger Jet blunders?  I guess youre a young fan clueless to all the 2nd round blunders in Jets and football history.  Being a SOJF is tough, you need to bone up on your history

You also want to pass this fantasy list off as fact or the way it is?  A given, unchallengeable 

Talk about over selling it. ;)

JetNut, just curious....where are you now? Still a "fantasy list"??

Also, Is being a SOJF synonymous with being objective and correct? Or was it just too tempting for you to pass up throwing personal insults at a fellow Jets fan for giving good, accurate analysis? 

Archived