Why NFL teams will settle for less talent at backup quarterback

Gas2No99

Why NFL teams will settle for less talent at backup QB

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0723%2Fr235167_1

NFL coaches and GMs generally want the best 53 players they can find for their rosters, but they're willing to make exceptions -- especially for backup quarterbacks.

At the backup QB position, some teams willfully sacrifice talent and potential for players who can support and mentor the starter.

"They talk about competition at every position, but obviously there is not," a defensive coach from an AFC team said.

Different teams have different priorities.

Another seven backup quarterbacks are veterans who are older than the starters ahead of them and are no longer considered starting material, placing them in the veteran sounding board category. Ryan FitzpatrickMatt Schaub and Matt Cassel headline this group.

There are also veterans whose star has fallen but who might possess at least some perceived upside. Ryan MallettGeno Smith and Nick Folesfit into this category. Colin Kaepernick would obviously headline this group if he were on a roster, a story unto itself. Kaepernick edged potential 2017 NFL starters Tom SavageBrian HoyerJared Goff and Josh McCown in a recent survey of 20 coaches and evaluators, affirming that his controversial political stances are a leading reason for his unemployment, with the peculiarities of the backup position as a contributing factor.

And then there is a miscellaneous group featuring players such as Kellen ClemensScott Tolzien and Trevone Boykin, who were never really considered to be starting QB candidates.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0101%2Fr167586_1

Matt Cassel serves as a non-threatening mentor for Marcus Mariota in Tennessee. AP Photo/James Kenney

What are some of these teams thinking? Why do they sometimes employ No. 2 quarterbacks who possess limited appeal in the present and no upside for the future?

One general manager pointed to three traits he seeks in a veteran backup:

1. The experience and intelligence required to manage the offense in a game without many practice reps.

2. A great teammate to the starter, lending support and mentoring instead of threatening him.

3. A willingness to blend into the fabric of the team without creating distractions.

An insider who was with the 2009 Detroit Lions said he's seen firsthand the pitfalls of having a backup quarterback competing to unseat the team's young starter. Daunte Culpepper was already on the roster and eager to start when the team used the first overall pick for Matthew Stafford.

"Matt got hurt, and when he returned we were playing Matt no matter what," this insider said. "Culpepper wasn't good with that. We brought in Shaun Hill [the next season] and he was just aces. He was helping Matt. There is something to that."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0608%2Fr90503_12

Shaun Hill doesn't present a ton of upside as a starter, but his reliability as a backup helped him play 11 NFL season. Tim Heitman/USA TODAY Sports

An offensive-minded head coach said that veteran backups who are resigned to their No. 2 roles can be helpful as conduits between the coaching staff and the starter, giving coaches a subtler avenue for getting their points across to the starter. Hill made a career out of being the supportive backup behind highly drafted players such as Stafford, Alex Smith and Teddy Bridgewater. Cassel is playing that role behind Marcus Mariota in Tennessee.

There is disagreement over whether this is the way to go.

"The real truth is, we are hiring a backup quarterback at $3 million a year to help a QB coach and offensive coordinator who are [purportedly] so good they are in the head-coaching pipeline anyway," this coach said. "If they need a veteran backup to coach up the starter, they are not coaching him well enough. You sign a veteran backup off the scrap heap, have a CBA-imposed six less weeks of offseason program for him to learn your offense, what is he telling your starter? Is he muddying the waters?"

Ten teams brought in new No. 2 quarterbacks this offseason. That included first-round draft choices Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes, plus second-rounder DeShone Kizer, whose short-term status could hinge on what the Browns do with Brock OsweilerCase KeenumChase Daniel, Geno Smith, Nick Foles, Matt Barkley and Ryan Fitzpatrick are the other No. 2 quarterbacks new to their teams.

"Coaches get hung up with young guys not knowing enough, as opposed to projecting the ceiling and finding ways to simplify and get around it," a veteran coach said. "Most coaches make mistakes by saying, 'Because this [veteran backup] guy knows so much, we are going to go with him even though he is a crappy player.' Veteran guys know how to make teams, and then halfway through the season, you have a guy who is not nearly as good as you would have had."

Funny how they almost rave about career backup Shaun Hill and barely even mention McCown who is likely to be backup turned soon to be starter. Please Hack beat this guy out.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

18 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Funny how they almost rave about career backup Shaun Hill and barely even mention McCown who is likely to be backup turned soon to be starter. Please Hack beat this guy out.

Josh McCown is 18-42 as an NFL starter if Hackenberg or Petty can't beat him out we are in deep sh*t. 

I find this article interesting because Jets history dictates that the Back-up QB ends up BEING the starting QB EVERY TIME!!!

All these QBs were backups who supplanted the Starting QB - and were eventually supplanted by THEIR back-up as well.

Pat Ryan

Everyone AFTER Boomer in '95-'96: Reich, Brister, Trudeau, Jeff Blake, etc.

Glen Foley

Vinny Testaverde

Chad Pennington

Geno Smith

Ryan Fitzpatrick

and so on . . . . 

23 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I find this article interesting because Jets history dictates that the Back-up QB ends up BEING the starting QB EVERY TIME!!!

All these QBs were backups who supplanted the Starting QB - and were eventually supplanted by THEIR back-up as well.

Pat Ryan

Glen Foley

Vinny Testaverde

Chad Pennington

Geno Smith

Ryan Fitzpatrick

and so on . . . . 

Sorry for being "that guy" but Jeff Blake never started 1 game, much less 1 quarter, as a NYJ.

15 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Sorry for being "that guy" but Jeff Blake never started 1 game, much less 1 quarter, as a NYJ.

You can't help yourself. 

I'm well aware, I just started rattling off all the early 90's QBs in my head and started typing. I noticed later on, but didn't bother to correct since the thread didn't have much traction anyway. 

But yeah, you're that guy. 

i think this speaks to the short sightedness of the coaches because they are under so much pressure to win.  they bring these back-ups in to mentor and help develop the young qb's because the the qb coach isn't coaching the young guy good enough?  time to get a new coach. or hire more coaching staff.  the rent-a-vet qb's should only be brought in to take over if the starter gets injured.  if they want the back up to truly come in and win games then he needs to be with the team more than a season.  although, i will admit that favre really impressed me with his post game recall ability when explaining certain plays. 

59 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think this speaks to the short sightedness of the coaches because they are under so much pressure to win.  they bring these back-ups in to mentor and help develop the young qb's because the the qb coach isn't coaching the young guy good enough?  time to get a new coach. or hire more coaching staff.  the rent-a-vet qb's should only be brought in to take over if the starter gets injured.  if they want the back up to truly come in and win games then he needs to be with the team more than a season.  although, i will admit that favre really impressed me with his post game recall ability when explaining certain plays. 

I think it speaks to looking beyond statistics at how guys that do not "buy in" can gut your team.  Talent isn't everything. Especially when 99% of that players time is going to be spent on the sideline. 

On 7/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown is 18-42 as an NFL starter if Hackenberg or Petty can't beat him out we are in deep sh*t. 

If neither can unseat McCown we are drafting a QB, whether we need to trade up or not we have to get a legit prospect at QB next year.  I will even say that if we have a shot at one of the best QB prospects, we take them regardless.

36 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

If neither can unseat McCown we are drafting a QB, whether we need to trade up or not we have to get a legit prospect at QB next year.  I will even say that if we have a shot at one of the best QB prospects, we take them regardless.

Agree  I would still like to see Hackenberg or Petty instead of McCown (Fitzpatrick)  starting him does nothing for this organization, we also have to stop wasting draft picks on QB's and other position players we must lead the league in draft day busts. 

The funny thing I see with some of these guys like a Bowles is they can't stand the thought of a young QB going out there and making errors and yet they are perfectly happy to have error prone players that they coach on the other side of the ball.

Bryce Petty - QB -  Jets

ESPN New York projects the Jets to keep three quarterbacks, but believes Bryce Petty could be in "some trouble" if he's out-played by Christian Hackenberg this summer.

That's not a realistic scenario, so it appears the Jets will be keeping three quarterbacks. It's not the best use of resources when you get to keep only 53 players, but the tanking Jets have spots to spare behind brittle veteran Josh McCown. It's quite possible all three quarterbacks make starts in 2017.

Source: ESPN New York 
Jul 25 - 2:52 PM

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree  I would still like to see Hackenberg or Petty instead of McCown (Fitzpatrick)  starting him does nothing for this organization, we also have to stop wasting draft picks on QB's and other position players we must lead the league in draft day busts. 

What, pray tell, should we waste our draft picks on? 

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You can't help yourself. 

I'm well aware, I just started rattling off all the early 90's QBs in my head and started typing. I noticed later on, but didn't bother to correct since the thread didn't have much traction anyway. 

But yeah, you're that guy. 

I already said I'm "that guy." Where are we going with this routine? Sounds promising!

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, they don't "choose" to settle for less talent at backup... fact is, there's not enough talent at QB to fill all the starting spots... backups suck because of supply and demand.

Exactly.  I read the headline and the first thing I said was "because they have to"

Fitz really looks goofy in that tampa uniform - 

Interesting point of the article was the thought or trend to move away from the Vet QB mentor, have the QB coach fill that role and use that roster spot to develop a QB, maybe that is what the Jets planned with Hack, we can only hope...  but it did not sound like Chan was onboard with that idea so we will see

14 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:
Bryce Petty - QB -  Jets

ESPN New York projects the Jets to keep three quarterbacks, but believes Bryce Petty could be in "some trouble" if he's out-played by Christian Hackenberg this summer.

That's not a realistic scenario, so it appears the Jets will be keeping three quarterbacks. It's not the best use of resources when you get to keep only 53 players, but the tanking Jets have spots to spare behind brittle veteran Josh McCown. It's quite possible all three quarterbacks make starts in 2017.

Source: ESPN New York 
Jul 25 - 2:52 PM

WOW, it's not a realistic scenario that petty is out-played by Hack?  If Hack can't out play both of these QB's they really need to be looking at the 2018 draft early

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

What, pray tell, should we waste our draft picks on? 

We need to find a decent QB and stop drawing straws in the draft every year we also need to stop signing others teams old garbage QB's and we need to select players who should be helping this team compete and succeed instead of drafting poorly. 

As a longtime Jets fan I don't think the Jets understand what the draft is all about. 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:44 PM, nicg4360 said:

McCown isn't a backup right now, or he'd fit in that group

On July 24, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Pat Ryan

Glen Foley

Vinny Testaverde

Chad Pennington

Geno Smith

Ryan Fitzpatrick

and so on . . . . 

Lol...all the way back to Todd and Robinson

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

18-42. It is amazing that he is still in the NFL...only the Jets and the Browns

But he's a great mentor . . . look at how he turned Johnny Manziel into a . . .oh wait a second  . . . Mike Glennon into  . ..  no not him either. . . how about his brother Luke McCown . . .nope

Can someone remind me who McCown has mentored that's turned out to be a good QB?

1 minute ago, jpoppy717 said:

But he's a great mentor . . . look at how he turned Johnny Manziel into a . . .oh wait a second  . . . Mike Glennon into  . ..  no not him either. . . how about his brother Luke McCown . . .nope

Can someone remind me who McCown has mentored that's turned out to be a good QB?

Exactly but the NY Jets act as if they found the next coming of Tom Brady just as they did with Ryan Fitzpatrick another teams sh*t scrub loser YAY  

Having a veteran mentor a young quarterback is a sound plan and there's nothing wrong with it. If you're trying to develop a young guy you need a veteran on board that will not cause problems and will gracefully step aside when it's time for the young guy to play. That's what we thought Fitzpatrick was but apparently not. McCown so far seems to understand this. 

Archived