You Pick the Jets 2017 Defensive Roster

Sarge4Tide

2017 Defense?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Please select 5 or 6 defensive linemen who will make the Jets 2017 roster (not including Practice Squad)

• Muhammad Wilkerson 6'4" 315 Temple (DT/DE)
    • Leonard Williams 6'5 300 USC (DE/DT)
    • Sheldon Richardson 6'3" 294 Missouri (DT/DE)
    • Steve McLendon 6'3" 310 Troy (DT)
    • Deon Simon 6'4" 330 Northwest St LA (DT)
    • Anthony Johnson 6'2" 295 LSU (DT)
    • Mike Pennel 6'4" 332 Duke (DT) CSU-Pueblo
    • Lawrence Thomas 6'4" 305 Michigan State (DE/DT)
    • Claude Pelon 6'4" 300 USC (DL)
    • Brandin Bryant 6'2" 289 FAU (DT)
    • Patrick Gamble 6'5" 277 Georgia Tech (DE/DT)
  2. 2. Please select 7 or 8 linebackers who will make the Jets 2017 roster (not including Practice Squad)

• Lorenzo Mauldin 6'4" 259 Louisville
    • Jordan Jenkins 6'3" 259 Ohio State
    • Darron Lee 6'1" 235 Ohio State
    • Demario Davis 6'2" 242 Arkansas State (A
    • Bruce Carter 6'2" 240 North Carolina
    • Dylan Donahue 6'3" 248 West Georgia
    • Corey Lemonier 6'3" 255 Auburn
    • Josh Martin 6'3" 245 Columbia
    • Freddie Bishop 6'4" 260 Western Michigan
    • Julian Stanford 6'1" 230 Wagner
    • Frank Beltre 6'2" 246 Towson (CFL)
    • Connor Harris 5'11" 242 Lindenwood
    • Spencer Paysinger 6'2" 249 Oregon
  3. 3. Please select 6 cornerbacks who will make the Jets 2017 roster (not including Practice Squad)

• Buster Skrine 5'9" 185 Tennessee-Chattanooga
    • Marcus Williams 5'11" 195 North Dakota State
    • Morris Claiborne 5'11" 192 LSU
    • Juston Burris 6'0" 205 NC State
    • Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall
    • Jeremy Clark 6'3" 220 Michigan
    • Derrick Jones 6'2" 188 Mississippi
    • Dexter McDougle 5'10" 196 Maryland
    • Bryson Keeton 6'2" 190 Montana State
    • Xavier Coleman 5'11" 189 Portland State (UDFA)
  4. 4. Please select 4 safeties who will make the Jets 2017 roster (not including Practice Squad)

• Jamal Adams 6'0" 214 LSU (2017 Draft Pick)
    • Marcus Maye 6'0" 210 Florida(2017 Draft Pick)
    • Rontez Miles 6'1" 210 California (PA)
    • Doug Middleton 6'0" 210 Appalachian State
    • Ronald Martin 6'2" 220 LSU
    • Corey White 6'1" 210 Samford
    • Shamarko Thomas 5'9" 205 Syracuse

• On the DL, I picked Pennel beating out McClendon.  SM just does not fit
  • After the first 4 "starting" LBs, it is a real crap shoot.  Votes reflect that.  Mac has to answer to the LBs he has built. 
  • I think this is the year that Macdougal finally moves on.
  • The backup safety spot will be very interesting.

Every year there are surprise players who make the team.  Who are they on defense?

I say:

Pennel

Connor Harris.  Donahue gets cut or PS.

Darryl Roberts is on the team. Jeremy Clark makes it.

18 hours ago, varjet said:
  • On the DL, I picked Pennel beating out McClendon.  SM just does not fit
  • After the first 4 "starting" LBs, it is a real crap shoot.  Votes reflect that.  Mac has to answer to the LBs he has built. 
  • I think this is the year that Macdougal finally moves on.
  • The backup safety spot will be very interesting.

Every year there are surprise players who make the team.  Who are they on defense?

I say:

Pennel

Connor Harris.  Donahue gets cut or PS.

Darryl Roberts is on the team. Jeremy Clark makes it.

FWIW, hasn't Donahue been working with the 1's?  I think he is too high a pick to just cut loose.  Especially when the guys in front of him are so uninspiring.  

EDIT:  Honestly, after looking he was only a 5th.  Not sure why I thought he went earlier.  Still, he has supposedly been impressing early and splitting time with Mauldin.  Donahue sort of reminds me of Hunter Dimick who PFF had leading the country in QB pressures and was 3rd in sacks.  Dimick was an UDFA from Utah, while Donahue got drafted from Western Georgia (?!).  Both have teeny tiny T-Rex arms. 

Let's see if Donahue can get by Beachum and Ijalana, in pads.   I think the small school guys who can do well in the NFL have big school bodies.

He would take the spot of a Lemonier or Bishop, which maybe is justified.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Let's see if Donahue can get by Beachum and Ijalana, in pads.   I think the small school guys who can do well in the NFL have big school bodies.

He would take the spot of a Lemonier or Bishop, which maybe is justified.

I think he grades out pretty well physically.  Even factoring in his short arms, SPARQ puts him slightly below mid-level for a guy already in the NFL. 

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

Diamond in the Rough = Shamarko Thomas

bc why not

Nice. I liked him coming out, but not putting it together in Pittsburgh is generally a red flag. 

Based on these results, there will be 3 great roster battles on defense

1) McClendon vs Pennel vs Thomas for 1 or maybe 2 DL spots

2) Lemonier vs Martin vs Bishop vs Stanford for 1 or maybe 2 LB spots

3) Roberts vs Clark vs Jones for 2 Cornerbacks spot (if Clark starts on PUP they could all make it)

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Based on these results, there will be 3 great roster battles on defense

1) McClendon vs Pennel vs Thomas for 1 or maybe 2 DL spots

2) Lemonier vs Martin vs Bishop vs Stanford for 1 or maybe 2 LB spots

3) Roberts vs Clark vs Jones for 2 Cornerbacks spot (if Clark starts on PUP they could all make it)

1. I would not underestimate McLendon. He played very well before the injury sidelined him. He is not a pure NT, which makes him versatile. He's a vet and as a backup, he can be very useful. I think He makes the team. 

2. The LB spot will be interesting. You have Lemonier and Bishop who are primarily OLB pass rushers and Stanford and Martin who are better in coverage and can play on the inside. It depends on what the Jets need in terms of backups. If Donahue makes the team and looks like a decent pass rusher, maybe the Jets decide to keep Martin over Bishop?    

3. I think Roberts is pretty much a lock. I don't believe he is PS candidate. He played well in the opportunities given to him last year. He has improved over the course of his career so his trajectory is definitely going up. To me the CB position is pretty much set- Claiborne, Burris, Skrine, Williams, Roberts are all locks. Assuming they carry 6, the last spot will be between Clark and Jones. I think Jones has further to go in his development- both learning the CB position (limited reps at CB in college) and physically putting muscle on his skinny frame, so Clark gets the nod.    

I actually think the WR position will be the most interesting to watch. In part b/c so much of it could depend on chemistry with the QB- whoever that may be. And in part b/c its so crowded at the bottom. Assuming Enunwa, Anderson, Stewart and Hansen are locks (and taking Marshall out of the equation due to suspension). That leaves only 2 free spots for a slew of WRs at the bottom of the depth chart. You would think Peake gets one of those spots, but I don't think he showed enough last year to have any sort of 'edge'. There will be a lot of competition from 8 different guys currently on the roster- although clearly some of them are camp bodies. My wild card to make the team is KD Cannon. I think he has a ton of talent and was only cut by SF to make an example of him for quitting on routes, not b/c of lack of talent or even poor play nec. If he can use that as motivation to get better, he could be a standout in camp.   

Archived