Phelps vs. the Shark? Did anyone watch this?

JustInFudge

I did.  I got duped into to staying up and watching it.  

I wondered the whole time they were advertising this how on earth it would work.  What would be the setting, how would they tame the shark, etc.

And the ****ers threw out a CGI shark.   dont think I've ever been so mad about a program on TV in my entire life.  I couldnt believe after all the hype, they literally put a ******* CGI shark in the water to race Phelps.  And Phelps is total meathead.  Might be the most disappointed I've ever been with a form of entertainment that I was excited about.

**** YOU DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!! **** YOU!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/07/21/great-white-shark-was-toughest-foe-ever-swimmer-michael-phelps-says.html

“It was a tough a race, probably the hardest race I’ve ever had,” Phelps told Fox News, declining to disclose the outcome.

Swimming in open water, “with current and cold water,” was also a big adjustment from the typical pool setting, Phelps said. However, Discovery outfitted the Olympian with some technology to help even the odds.

“We were able to add some help with the monofin, and being able to have a wetsuit gave a little bit of help towards me,” Phelps said. “I think the odds are pretty stacked in the shark’s favor, but you guys will have to wait and see, to see what happens.”

The 100-meter race took place off Cape Town, South Africa, and had been on 32-year-old Phelps’ bucket list “forever,” he said.

“It was honestly just something I’ve always wanted to do, being in the water with a shark,” Phelps said. “Whether it’s in a cage, or just swimming freely in the ocean. … Having the chance to literally see these animals up close and personal in their home, it topped so many things that I’ve done -- just being able to see how they truly are.

“I was literally within a foot from two different sharks that were that close to my face -- one in a cage, one out of the cage.”

GFY Phelps. 

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Phelps was on, I believe, Mike & Mike a few days before saying he raced an actual shark.  F*cking liar. 

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

GFY Phelps. 

I'm still angry about this.  I feel cheated. 

14 hours ago, HessStation said:

Is there a bigger goober than Phelps. The episode was god awful because Phelps has zero personality. We already knew the event itself was a hoax. Dude probably got paid handsomely and all he could do was bitch about the cold water. FML

I didnt know it was a hoax.  Everyone was swearing up and down that he was going to race a real shark.

But yes, the one thing that did come out of this show was the Phelps is dumber than a box of rocks.  

They should do another show, Phelps vs. a Shark on a wonderlic test. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I didnt know it was a hoax.  Everyone was swearing up and down that he was going to race a real shark.

But yes, the one thing that did come out of this show was the Phelps is dumber than a box of rocks.  

They should do another show, Phelps vs. a Shark on a wonderlic test. 

I guess derp is outdated now but this guy is like the definition. I couldn't imagine having to produce a whole episode around him. You could tell they actually did their best to leave him out of it as much as possible. Which made his clips (of quick sayings or facial expressions) throughout even more awkward. It was a really, really bad episode. 

They also did him a huge disservice telling the world he needed 10 seal divers and a bunch of people on Jet skies as protection to swim 100 meters. Not saying it was a bad idea to do it but they shouldn't have mentioned it or hid it, as it all but killed any potential albeit minuscule piece of suspense.

Archived