KRL Camp Notes (7/29/17)

KRL

General Notes

- Players were in shells & shorts

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- With the low expectations for the team there were fewer media members than last year.
Also there were no "selected" season ticketholders in attendance

- Frustration from Karl Dorrell (WR coach) early on as there were too many drops

- Josh McCown was first in the team periods but the reps seemed even to me between him and
Christian Hackenberg

Player Notes

- Robby Anderson doesn't seem to be noticeably bigger but his ability to run routes over the
middle of the field is improved.  The problem that stood out today was his difficulty getting
off the line against physical press coverage.  Morris Claiborne gave him fits all day

- Watching Claiborne you see why he was a top 10 pick, extremely physical in the five yard
area and able to mirror receivers down the field.  He gave Anderson fits and manhandled a
couple of the other receivers throughout the day.  In team periods he had a "pick 6" of 
McCown and he almost started a "fight" when he took Anderson to the ground, which is a 
no-no this early in camp.  The question is can he stay on the field?

- Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen both practiced but it didn't seem like they got any reps
in team periods.  I wonder if they're behind in the offense because they missed time during 
OTA's

- With Stewart & Hansen not getting reps young receivers such as Frankie Hammond, Myles White,
Gabe Marks and Chris Harper got playing time.  And they had difficulty getting open which led
to coverage "sacks" during team periods

- Lucky Whitehead got reps immediately as a returner and his short area quickness reminded me
of Leon Washington.  Hopefully that can continue because the team has been woeful in the return
game for too long

- Austin Seferian-Jenkins stood out all day.  First with the shape he's in (noticeably thinner)
then with his ability to get open in the middle of the field.  He was a safety valve and a
"seam stretcher" for the QB's 

- Sheldon Richardson was in the offensive backfield all day and reminded me of what he was
his first two years in the league.  He blew up running plays and caused "sacks" during team
periods

- Jamal Adams showed his range when he nearly picked off a McCown throw to Seferian-Jenkins
outside the numbers during team periods.  Marcus Maye had a quiet day

QB's

- McCown and Bryce Petty were both "meh".  Both of them threw "pick 6's" in team periods, McCown to
Claiborne and Petty to Marcus Williams

- Christian Hackenberg was much improved over last year:
  1. He totally revamped his body and added muscle from top to bottom
  2. His setup stance in receiving the snap from center has been revamped
  3. His footwork coming away from center is cleaner
  4. His footwork when choosing which receiver to throw to was consistent

Which led to accurate spirals and the elimination of balls in the dirt, balls that sailed
and balls that wobbled.  In addition on a 80 degree day he was wearing a glove on his left hand,
which makes me wonder if he's using that to help in handling the ball.  Now the question is can
he continue to "stack" practices and take these improvements into games

Standouts

- Sheldon Richardson
- Morris Claiborne
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Concerns

- Robby Anderson's ability to beat physical press coverage
- Young WR's ability to get open against physical press coverage    

A few questions when you get the chance.  

1.  How did the LBs look?

2. I heard positive news about Shell today, what did you observe?

3. Was RB McGuire out there at all today or was it just Forte and Powell?  He was mysteriously absent from KR/PR duties today which he was doing during OTAs.

4.  How did Leggett look today?  

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

Sheldon Richardson was in the offensive backfield all day and reminded me of what he was
his first two years in the league.  He blew up running plays and caused "sacks" during team
periods

BEAST year coming up.....tough decision looming I say pay the man..

camp4.jpg?fit=1273%2C1116

camp1.jpg?resize=300%2C253The New York Jets officially kicked off training camp in Florham Park, NJ. JetNation was there, we are planning on being there every day throughout training camp. Here is the official camp report by KRL for day one.

General Notes

– Players were in shells & shorts

– Practice ran 2.5 hours

– With the low expectations for the team there were fewer media members than last year. Also there were no “selected” season ticketholders in attendance.

– Frustration from Karl Dorrell (WR coach) early on as there were too many drops.

– Josh McCown was first in the team periods but the reps seemed even to me between him and Christian Hackenberg.

Player Notes

– Robby Anderson doesn’t seem to be noticeably bigger but his ability to run routes over the middle of the field is improved. The problem that stood out today was his difficulty getting off the line against physical press coverage. Morris Claiborne gave him fits all day.

– Watching Claiborne you see why he was a top 10 pick, extremely physical in the five yard area and able to mirror receivers down the field. He gave Anderson fits and manhandled a couple of the other receivers throughout the day. In team periods he had a “pick 6” of McCown and he almost started a “fight” when he took Anderson to the ground, which is a no-no this early in camp. The question is can he stay on the field?

– Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen both practiced but it didn’t seem like they got any reps in team periods. I wonder if they’re behind in the offense because they missed time during OTA’s.

– With Stewart & Hansen not getting reps young receivers such as Frankie Hammond, Myles White, Gabe Marks and Chris Harper got playing time. And they had difficulty getting open which led to coverage “sacks” during team periods.

– Lucky Whitehead got reps immediately as a returner and his short area quickness reminded me of Leon Washington. Hopefully that can continue because the team has been woeful in the return game for too long.

– Austin Seferian-Jenkins stood out all day. First with the shape he’s in (noticeably thinner) then with his ability to get open in the middle of the field. He was a safety valve and a “seam stretcher” for the QB’s.

– Sheldon Richardson was in the offensive backfield all day and reminded me of what he was his first two years in the league. He blew up running plays and caused “sacks” during team periods.

– Jamal Adams showed his range when he nearly picked off a McCown throw to Seferian-Jenkins outside the numbers during team periods. Marcus Maye had a quiet day.

camp2.jpg?resize=282%2C300QB’s

– McCown and Bryce Petty were both “meh”. Both of them threw “pick 6’s” in team periods, McCown to Claiborne and Petty to Marcus Williams.

– Christian Hackenberg was much improved over last year:

Which led to accurate spirals and the elimination of balls in the dirt, balls that sailed and balls that wobbled. In addition on a 80 degree day he was wearing a glove on his left hand, which makes me wonder if he’s using that to help in handling the ball. Now the question is can he continue to “stack” practices and take these improvements into games.

Standouts

– Sheldon Richardson
– Morris Claiborne
– Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Concerns

– Robby Anderson’s ability to beat physical press coverage.
– Young WR’s ability to get open against physical press coverage.

Additional Resources

New York Jets Training Camp Photo Gallery

#JetsCamp Updates – Day One – Sat 07/29/17 

KRL Camp Notes (7/29/17): Discussion Thread

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
s7wPH8ZHcLc

Click here to read the full story...

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Just don't get in the way Max . Looking forward to reading what you both report

LOL! I stay out of the way, it is pretty much what I do.

KRL will be doing the camp report again, I will be live tweeting. Using my witty banter to recruit new people over the JetNation Forums. :)

IF a huge IF Hackenberg blows away McCown for the QB job, and has coaches, and management convinced he can be the answer at QB not only long term, but also be good enough to be a big factor in the offense being successful THIS year, do the Jets go out, and try to make a deal for a game changing talent at WR like the 2009 Jets did with Braylon Edwards, say maybe Josh Gordon gets reinstated, and the Browns want to move on do they test the waters?  Or maybe on his last year on his deal, and knowledge of  Morton's offense (most likely) the Seahawks become open to moving Jimmy Graham.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

IF a huge IF Hackenberg blows away McCown for the QB job, and has coaches, and management convinced he can be the answer at QB not only long term, but also be good enough to be a big factor in the offense being successful THIS year, do the Jets go out, and try to make a deal for a game changing talent at WR like the 2009 Jets did with Braylon Edwards, say maybe Josh Gordon gets reinstated, and the Browns want to move on do they test the waters?  Or maybe on his last year on his deal, and knowledge of  Morton's offense (most likely) the Seahawks become open to moving Jimmy Graham.

I can't see it happening. If Hack won the job it is still going to be all about next year.

Lots of camp room!

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I can't see it happening. If Hack won the job it is still going to be all about next year.

Lots of camp room!

Yes, and using 10 million of it this year for Jimmy Graham wouldn't be a bad thing IF the above scenario comes to fruition, and it can also become about THIS year, and NEXT year without making a dent in next years cap room.

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

A few questions when you get the chance.  

1.  How did the LBs look?

2. I heard positive news about Shell today, what did you observe?

3. Was RB McGuire out there at all today or was it just Forte and Powell?  He was mysteriously absent from KR/PR duties today which he was doing during OTAs.

4.  How did Leggett look today?  

Answers to questions:

- The "starting" LB's were Mauldin, Lee, Davis and Josh Martin.  In the team periods Davis
had a near INT and Mauldin had at least one "sack"

- Hard to judge the OLine today because the "sacks" they gave up may have been because
the WR's couldn't get open

- McGuire was similar to Stewart & Hansen, he practiced but I didn't remember him getting
reps in team periods

- Leggett was the #2 TE behind Seferian-Jenkins and had a couple of nice seam catches

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Answers to questions:

- The "starting" LB's were Mauldin, Lee, Davis and Josh Martin.  In the team periods Davis
had a near INT and Mauldin had at least one "sack"

- Hard to judge the OLine today because the "sacks" they gave up may have been because
the WR's couldn't get open

- McGuire was similar to Stewart & Hansen, he practiced but I didn't remember him getting
reps in team periods

- Leggett was the #2 TE behind Seferian-Jenkins and had a couple of nice seam catches

Thank you very much!  Its interesting to hear about the coverage sacks contributing to the sacks today, didn't really see that reported earlier.  I think I also read that Hack was decisive and made good decisions with throwing the ball away after scrambling when nothing was open.

All positive and a good foundation to start on.  Day 1, everyone gets needs to shake the rust off.  Hoping by Day 3 or 4 things are moving along better on the offensive side.  I do think our defense is going to be majorly improved from last season.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

I watched all the twitter clips today and i noticed his "cycle" was consistent. His footwoork, stance, delivery - was the same every throw. I think that's a good start? Either way, i  paid close attention and saw the same thing. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Nice job Krl, thank you.  Was there a Charone Peake sighting?

Yes, he dropped some easy ones out there. He's not going to be on the 53 this year if both Hanson and Stewart are healthy

Dont see them cutting Peake at all.

why? What upside is teasing boners out of you? He was sloppy, plodded through routes, and didn't show great hands. Special teams be about his only way on to the field right now. Chad Hansen is going to walk circles around him IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Dont see them cutting Peake at all.

I think Peake makes the roster, but I wouldn't rule anything out right based on this crop of receivers.  I think Bowles likes Jalin Marshall a lot.  Kept sending him out there to return punts despite the fact that he was terrible at it.  Quincy, Robby, Peake, Marshall, Stewart, Hansen, Wilson, Marks....I think there are some good young players in that group.   I'd love to see Peake stick, though. 

9 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Players were in shells & shorts

- Practice ran 2.5 hours

- With the low expectations for the team there were fewer media members than last year.
Also there were no "selected" season ticketholders in attendance

- Frustration from Karl Dorrell (WR coach) early on as there were too many drops

- Josh McCown was first in the team periods but the reps seemed even to me between him and
Christian Hackenberg

Player Notes

- Robby Anderson doesn't seem to be noticeably bigger but his ability to run routes over the
middle of the field is improved.  The problem that stood out today was his difficulty getting
off the line against physical press coverage.  Morris Claiborne gave him fits all day

- Watching Claiborne you see why he was a top 10 pick, extremely physical in the five yard
area and able to mirror receivers down the field.  He gave Anderson fits and manhandled a
couple of the other receivers throughout the day.  In team periods he had a "pick 6" of 
McCown and he almost started a "fight" when he took Anderson to the ground, which is a 
no-no this early in camp.  The question is can he stay on the field?

- Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen both practiced but it didn't seem like they got any reps
in team periods.  I wonder if they're behind in the offense because they missed time during 
OTA's

- With Stewart & Hansen not getting reps young receivers such as Frankie Hammond, Myles White,
Gabe Marks and Chris Harper got playing time.  And they had difficulty getting open which led
to coverage "sacks" during team periods

- Lucky Whitehead got reps immediately as a returner and his short area quickness reminded me
of Leon Washington.  Hopefully that can continue because the team has been woeful in the return
game for too long

- Austin Seferian-Jenkins stood out all day.  First with the shape he's in (noticeably thinner)
then with his ability to get open in the middle of the field.  He was a safety valve and a
"seam stretcher" for the QB's 

- Sheldon Richardson was in the offensive backfield all day and reminded me of what he was
periods

- Jamal Adams showed his range when he nearly picked off a McCown throw to Seferian-Jenkins
outside the numbers during team periods.  Marcus Maye had a quiet day

QB's

- McCown and Bryce Petty were both "meh".  Both of them threw "pick 6's" in team periods, McCown to
Claiborne and Petty to Marcus Williams

Which led to accurate spirals and the elimination of balls in the dirt, balls that sailed
and balls that wobbled.  In addition on a 80 degree day he was wearing a glove on his left hand,
which makes me wonder if he's using that to help in handling the ball.  Now the question is can
he continue to "stack" practices and take these improvements into games

Standouts

- Sheldon Richardson
- Morris Claiborne
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins

Concerns

- Robby Anderson's ability to beat physical press coverage
- Young WR's ability to get open against physical press coverage    

KRL...great job, as usual.

Archived