Inexperienced Jets ‘Backers Look to Explode on to Scene

JetNation

IMG_3635.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

explosive

adjective  ex·plo·sive
1. able or likely to shatter violently or burst apart.
Explosive.  When discussing the tools required for an NFL edge rusher to be a disruptive force; to put a quarterback on his back consistently, he’s got to have “explosiveness”.  As the definition above states; able or likely to shatter violently or burst apart.
IMG_2130-300x237.jpg

Lorenzo Mauldin flashed as a pass rusher as a rookie but took a step back in 2016.

It’s something the Jets haven’t had since the days of John Abraham, and something that on it’s own, would go a very long way in fixing what ails a defense that was beaten with great ease far too regularly in 2016.  Opposing quarterbacks would consistently sit back in the pocket, unmolested, and pick apart an ineffective secondary.
Much has been made of the hiring of Hall of Fame linebacker Kevin Greene coming on board to coach the Jets outside linebackers, but in the name of objectivity, one must ask what Greene has to work with.
Former NFL executive, host of Sirius XM radio’s movin’ the chains and author of Take Your eye off the Ball, Pat Kirwan offered a formula for determining a player’s explosiveness several years ago, and as with the case with any metric, it’s far from perfect, but has also spawned some solid results.
Kirwan’s says that by taking a player’s reps of 225 lbs + vertical jump (in inches) + broad jump (in feet), you add up the three numbers and come get your total score.  If that player’s total is 70 or more, they’ve got the physical requirements to succeed in getting to the passer.
To see if Kirwan’s claim has any validity, we calculated the scores of every defensive player to amass 10 or more sacks last season, and with few exceptions, the list is primarily made up of players who come in at 70 or better, with a good number also finishing with an explosion score in the mid-to-high 60’s.  Only one player, Markus Golden of the Arizona Cardinals, scored lower than 66 at 54.7.
Rank–Player–Sacks–XP Score
1. Vic Beasley (15.5) – 86.8
2. Von Miller (13.5) – 68.5
3. Markus Golden (12.5) – 54.7
    Danielle Hunter (12.5) – 71.5
4. Cliff Avril (11.5) – 68.7
    Cameron Wake (11.5) – 75.5
5. Ryan Kerrigan (11) – 74.6
    Chandler Jones (11) – 67
    Nick Perry (11) – 83.8
    Khalil Mack (11) – 73.6
6. Brian Orakpo (10.5) – 81.3
    Joey Bosa (10.5) – 66
7. Dee Ford (10) – 74.8
    Frank Clark (10) – 67.3
*combine and workout data was not available for all players with 10 or more sacks
So how do the Jets current crop of linebackers stack up when the formula is applied?  Oddly enough, the ‘backers who many expect to start in 2017 come in behind some lesser-known backups who may finally get their shot to shine under Greene.
We’ve also included the explosion scores for the team’s starting defensive linemen to see how many meet Kirwan’s threshold of 70 points.
Freddie Bishop- 76.5
Leonard Williams 73.3
Josh Martin- 72.9
Sheldon Richardson- 71.6
Corey Lemonier- 69.9
Dylan Donahue- 65.1
Lorenzo Mauldin- 64.3
Jordan Jenkins 62.5
Muhammad Wilkerson- 61.8
Frank Beltre 61.5
IMG_2320-300x186.jpg

Freddie Bishop tops the list of Jets edge rushers when it comes to Pat Kirwan’s explosion score.

Propelled by his 37.5” vertical and his 30 reps of 225, Freddie Bishop lands in to the top spot. Josh Martin is the only linebacker in the group to manage 30 reps of 225 with a broad jump of over 10′ (10 4”), giving him the second  highest score among the team’s linebackers.  Coming in at just a shade under 70 at 69.9, Corey Lemonier is the name most worth keeping an eye on.
Lemonier played his college football at a powerhouse program in Clemson where he earned high praise following a junior season in which he picked up 9.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss.  Lemonier would see a drop-off in his final collegiate season, a year in which his totals dropped to 5.5 in both categories.  As a result, he slipped to the third round of the 2013 draft where he was taken 88th overall by the San Francisco 49ers.
As far as Bishop and Martin are concerned, Bishop saw some playing time late in the season and while he held up against the run better than advertised, he didn’t manage to get to the quarterback.  Meanwhile, Martin earned high praise for his work on special teams, but will likely be given an opportunity to increase his role on defense after re-signing with Gang Green this offseason.
With training camp under way, you may have an idea as to which names you’re likely to hear when it comes to pressuring the quarterback, but as previously mentioned, a high explosion score doesn’t guarantee success.  Just ask Vernon Gholston and his score of 82.9 back in 2008.
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
4hlKHXprZDA

Click here to read the full story...

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good article. Should be noted that the Jets drafted none of those OLBs, and instead draft OLBs that meet almost none of that criteria, which is odd. 

Searching for the next Markus Golden.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Searching for the next Markus Golden.

Tough way to do business. That same draft, we took Devin Smith in the second round. Redskins picked Preston Smith, who hit a bunch of those "explosion" metrics one slot later and already looks like he's going to be a really good pass rusher.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tough way to do business. That same draft, we took Devin Smith in the second round. Redskins picked Preston Smith, who hit a bunch of those "explosion" metrics one slot later and already looks like he's going to be a really good pass rusher.

They do occasionally have to draft offense too... Kind of a problem on the team...

Coples was selected over Jones. Then Rex moved Coples to OLB with his blazing 20.5 speed. One of the issues with BPA is it does not always allow for building a team. I think Macc did better this draft (slightly) in doing that. Those draft day trades could produce something yet.

17 drafts since Abe is just too long to not draft a real PR. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don't have an issue with the strong side guy being a bit slower than an ideal rusher, but that means somebody else has to step up on the other side.

I think Lemonier could be the best pass rusher currently on the roster if his motor is the same as it was in college.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Boooooooooooooo the Jets

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets haven't had a decent group of LB's in years lets hope that changes really soon. 

The last time I can think of we had two really good LBs on the field at the same time was Jones and Lewis.  Pretty much in the 90s.  And Jones wasn't even really all that great...

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The last time I can think of we had two really good LBs on the field at the same time was Jones and Lewis.  Pretty much in the 90s.  And Jones wasn't even really all that great...

And Mo Lewis might've been responsible for the Pats' dynasty.

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wut? 

Jones was awesome. Why do you think he wasn't all that great?

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jones was a really good, solid LB.

Bart Scott and Harris were part of a solid group. 

Don't get me wrong.  I liked Marvin as a player.  Really good.  Not great IMO.  Maybe it was because of the hip, but he didn't have as good a career as Mo.  And yes, Mo did usher in the Brady era but I have forgiven him for that.

19 hours ago, nycdan said:

jones wasn't great but he also had that hip injury early on that nearly retired him.  but yes, lewis and jones were a good pair for this team. 

On 7/30/2017 at 8:32 AM, T0mShane said:

I took him for the Ravens in the mock draft.  I think I got him in the 3rd!

21 hours ago, varjet said:

These Jets LBs are a very motley crew.  Could be Mac's undoing.  

Not nearly as much as the unrealistic fanbase who thinks every unit should have been rebuilt overnight.  

LBs wont be close to his undoing

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Not nearly as much as the unrealistic fanbase who thinks every unit should have been rebuilt overnight.  

LBs wont be close to his undoing

Agreed.  I think what will most define Mac's overall tenure here is the 2018 QB depth chart.  As in who the starter is and/or if there is a top prospect (as in a top-5 draft pick) in the wings.  Besides, some of the youngs LBs might surprise us.  

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Wow, so certain Combine numbers can predict which players will be productive pass rushers and which won't? Does anyone have more info on this?

I'm coming away from this with 2 possible thoughts:

1) The hope is Jenkins only needs 200 XP to advance to level 4.

2) Must see TV: Mauldin explodes in the upcoming scene, then doesn't even offer a towel to wipe off, let alone cab fare.

Archived