The Ghost of Revis Past?

courtnj18

Of course, rumors are swirling that Revis may return to the Jets because they won't let Morris Claiborne wear #24. I originally heard this on ESPN Radio last night, but then looked it up and found this article stating they may retire his number instead. Reports from camp are saying our corners give us Jets fans some hope. Who knows...the fan in me still has faith ;)

From the NBC Sports Desk(top):

Jets wouldn’t give Morris Claiborne the No. 24 Darrelle Revis made famous

Posted by Charean Williams on July 31, 2017, 8:02 PM EDT
611497452-e1501545678184.jpg?w=224Getty Images

Morris Claiborne wanted to wear the same number he wore in Dallas, but the Jets may have used No. 24 for the final time.

The Jets apparently are leaving open the possibility of retiring the number made famous by cornerback Darrelle Revis, whom the Jets released in the offseason. They made Claiborne, who signed a one-year, $5 million deal, take his second choice, which was No. 21.

I definitely asked for 24, because that’s the only number I know,” Claiborne said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “I’ve had 24 since I came into the NFL. But I understand the history behind that number.”

Revis played for the Jets for eight seasons in two stints, making 25 interceptions and 111 pass breakups. He earned All-Pro honors three times with the Jets and Pro Bowl honors four times while in New York.

“A lot of people said, ‘Do you want that number? You have some really big shoes to fill?’” Claiborne said. “Yeah, you’re right, but I’m not coming to fill Revis’ shoes. Revis’ shoes are filled, and then some. I’m here to fill my own shoes.”

Claiborne had more injuries than interceptions after a five-year career with the Cowboys, who made him the sixth overall choice in 2012. He never played a full season and missed 33 of a possible 80 games in his career. Claiborne had his best season in 2016 but played in only seven games during the regular season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont want NO parts of Revis being on this team.......he doesnt fit what we are trying to do and last year he stole money from us. I could honestly care less if they retire his number. He was a great corner for a few years of the years he played, was average or below average for a few but his greatness was a bit puffed up by playing in this media market and Rex. I know thats not a popular view but its real. 

Revis hasnt had an island in a long time......if he did he would have signed with someone by now. Moving right along no news here.

18 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Dont want NO parts of Revis being on this team.......he doesnt fit what we are trying to do and last year he stole money from us. I could honestly care less if they retire his number. He was a great corner for a few years of the years he played, was average or below average for a few but his greatness was a bit puffed up by playing in this media market and Rex. I know thats not a popular view but its real. 

Revis hasnt had an island in a long time......if he did he would have signed with someone by now. Moving right along no news here.

Revis hasn't had the heart for this game in a long time. Maybe he never did but his talent concealed that while he was younger.  You look at guys like Ronnie Lott and Charles Woodson and you see what Revis could have been.  But he made enough money and I guess just doesn't love playing the game enough to work at it as hard as he needs to now.  Shame because he could have been as great as any of them based on talent but it's his life and his choice.

I have mixed feelings about retiring his number right now.  Curious to see what others feel about it.

I feel like if Revis comes back here, and big if of course, Mac will give him a multi year deal that NO ONE in the league is willing to offer. Then again that would not be the first time Mac would do that with a player. 

Revis was an all time great.  But he was not special enough to ignore his history and have his number retired by us.  Especially considering he was never at all invested in this team and represents all that we don't like in players as fans.  I will never begrudge him his money.  I totally get that you need to earn as much as you can in this game as fast as you can.  I won't ever hold that against him, but his placing his interests above this team speaks for itself. He is not deserving of the ring of honor or getting any preferential treatment from the organization.

He was a mercenary. He got paid. The end.

Celebrating a guy who had no respect for the team he played for is what second rate, loser organizations do.  So of course we will retire his number, build a statue and rename our training facility after him.

Hahahahaha so now Revis isn't an all time great player!!

I'll keep it simple for you, Revis is one of the greatest defensive players EVER to play football let alone wear a New York Jets uniform.

You don't like his attitude or the way he went about maximizing his dollar potential,FINE!!!!!!

But to say or infer that Revis was some kind of mythic bum, who didn't deserve the praise he got, is piss poor and an embarrassment!!

Jets Fans

HE's a 4x All Pro, 7x Pro Bowler with a Ring probably going to Canton. When he does get his bust, what uniform does he wear? 

Jets fans shouldn't hate Revis cause he likes money or got old. He was an all time great at the position and the Jets screwed it up. We all saw it happen on Hard Knocks.  

As for Claiborne I understand his desire to wear his number but how about you stay on the field for a few games buddy? If he makes it through the season and proves it, maybe next year he gets the number if he still wants it. 

No one has worn #80 since Wayne Chrebet retired, but his number is not officially retired. I don't know if it ever will be. But a great player, which Revis once was, deserves to have his number rested for a number of years. Claiborne hasn't had the type of career thus far that merits wearing Revis' number the year he retired. 

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

HE's a 4x All Pro, 7x Pro Bowler with a Ring probably going to Canton. When he does get his bust, what uniform does he wear? 

Jets fans shouldn't hate Revis cause he likes money or got old. He was an all time great at the position and the Jets screwed it up. We all saw it happen on Hard Knocks.  

As for Claiborne I understand his desire to wear his number but how about you stay on the field for a few games buddy? If he makes it through the season and proves it, maybe next year he gets the number if he still wants it. 

he's a lock for Canton, it's not even up for debate and football players go into the Hall representing all the teams they played for not one team like MLB w/ their cap on their plaques.

Jet fans bash Revis, Rex, Sanchez and praise Mangini and O'Brien.  you can't make this stuff up.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Revis hasn't had the heart for this game in a long time. Maybe he never did but his talent concealed that while he was younger.  You look at guys like Ronnie Lott and Charles Woodson and you see what Revis could have been.  But he made enough money and I guess just doesn't love playing the game enough to work at it as hard as he needs to now.  Shame because he could have been as great as any of them based on talent but it's his life and his choice.

I have mixed feelings about retiring his number right now.  Curious to see what others feel about it.

Revis was so much better than Woodson as a cover corner it's an insult to compare them.  Woodson was a great ballhawk which led to be a great safety but as a cover corner they weren't close.  Not all players can play until they are 40, revis was fast but not blazing fast and losing some speed and quickness after the knee injury changed his career.  he was still great until last year just not Revis great that we saw pre injury.

Revis is the greatest cover corner that has ever played this game and he's ours.  Can we please enjoy that rather than bash the man?

3 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

Does anybody remember Phillip Adams after Revis left? I would love to know why we would want to retire his number. We didn't in 2014 so what makes him so special now?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Now he's closer to retirement and at the time there were hard feelings by the Jets toward Revis.  

40 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Revis was an all time great.  But he was not special enough to ignore his history and have his number retired by us.  Especially considering he was never at all invested in this team and represents all that we don't like in players as fans.  I will never begrudge him his money.  I totally get that you need to earn as much as you can in this game as fast as you can.  I won't ever hold that against him, but his placing his interests above this team speaks for itself. He is not deserving of the ring of honor or getting any preferential treatment from the organization.

He was a mercenary. He got paid. The end.

Celebrating a guy who had no respect for the team he played for is what second rate, loser organizations do.  So of course we will retire his number, build a statue and rename our training facility after him.

nothing special? he's the best player we have EVER had, the ONLY player in our history(that played the majority of his career here) that can be considered maybe the best to ever do it at his position.

we had Joe Namath quit on us briefly over a restaurant he owned but that was ok?  Gastineau quit on us mid season but that was ok?  Revis sucked last year but he was always known as a great team guy.  he did a great job maximizing his earnings, it's unbelievable that fans would hate a player for that.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was so much better than Woodson as a cover corner it's an insult to compare them.  Woodson was a great ballhawk which led to be a great safety but as a cover corner they weren't close.  Not all players can play until they are 40, revis was fast but not blazing fast and losing some speed and quickness after the knee injury changed his career.  he was still great until last year just not Revis great that we saw pre injury.

Revis is the greatest cover corner that has ever played this game and he's ours.  Can we please enjoy that rather than bash the man?

Now he's closer to retirement and at the time there were hard feelings by the Jets toward Revis.  

nothing special? he's the best player we have EVER had, the ONLY player in our history(that played the majority of his career here) that can be considered maybe the best to ever do it at his position.

we had Joe Namath quit on us briefly over a restaurant he owned but that was ok?  Gastineau quit on us mid season but that was ok?  Revis sucked last year but he was always known as a great team guy.  he did a great job maximizing his earnings, it's unbelievable that fans would hate a player for that.

He also faked hamstring injuries when he faced top level WRs.  Let's tell the whole story.

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

He also faked hamstring injuries when he faced top level WRs.  Let's tell the whole story.

when did he ever fake a hamstring injury?  he had a REAL one on that play against Moss( a great WR Revis used to DOMINATE) and missed games.  remember this was after his holdout in 2010 but once healthy he was even better later in 2010 than his greatest ever season for a cover corner in 2009.

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He better wear a Jets uniform....

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

So my bad.  I meant Rod Woodson, not Charles, who was pretty great himself but Rod was the better corner.  Revis arguably had the greatest single season by a CB ever.  Certainly a top-5 all-time CB.  But it's not as clear to me he is the Jerry Rice of CBs.  A strong case can be made for Deion as the best pure cover corner.  Revis was a better tackler and more physical but in terms of pure cover skill, I'm not sure there's any daylight between them.  I'm also a huge fan of Mel Blount, although it was a different era so hard to compare.  

My point is that Revis was great.  An all-time great both as a Jet and overall.  But I'm not going to knob-slobber him after all that went down and I'm not going to put homer glasses on and anoint him the GOAT when he really shortened his career when compared to other guys with comparable skills.  He had 5 wonderful years here (not counting last season), one of which was a thing of beauty.  I was clear that I have mixed feelings about the rest.  Not bashing.  But objective.  Your opinion is noted.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So my bad.  I meant Rod Woodson, not Charles, who was pretty great himself but Rod was the better corner.  Revis arguably had the greatest single season by a CB ever.  Certainly a top-5 all-time CB.  But it's not as clear to me he is the Jerry Rice of CBs.  A strong case can be made for Deion as the best pure cover corner.  Revis was a better tackler and more physical but in terms of pure cover skill, I'm not sure there's any daylight between them.  I'm also a huge fan of Mel Blount, although it was a different era so hard to compare.  

My point is that Revis was great.  An all-time great both as a Jet and overall.  But I'm not going to knob-slobber him after all that went down and I'm not going to put homer glasses on and anoint him the GOAT when he really shortened his career when compared to other guys with comparable skills.  He had 5 wonderful years here (not counting last season), one of which was a thing of beauty.  I was clear that I have mixed feelings about the rest.  Not bashing.  But objective.  Your opinion is noted.

Revis was a million times better than Rod too, Rod became a great safety and just like Charles was a playmaker but he got roasted by big WRs.

He didn’t play long enough to be the Jerry Rice of CBs, if he kept up his 2009/2010 level of play for a decade there wouldn’t be a debate.  He is the best cover corner I have ever seen and a lock Hofer but won’t go down as the greatest CB b/c of longevity.

We have 1 real drafted HOFer(Namath and he doesn’t even belong based on his actual play) that played for us a majority of his career, Revis will be #2.  That’s special.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was a million times better than Rod too, Rod became a great safety and just like Charles was a playmaker but he got roasted by big WRs.

He didn’t play long enough to be the Jerry Rice of CBs, if he kept up his 2009/2010 level of play for a decade there wouldn’t be a debate.  He is the best cover corner I have ever seen and a lock Hofer but won’t go down as the greatest CB b/c of longevity.

We have 1 real drafted HOFer(Namath and he doesn’t even belong based on his actual play) that played for us a majority of his career, Revis will be #2.  That’s special.

That's all very fair.  I'd argue that Klecko SHOULD have been #2 but that's a whole other ball of wax.  

Archived