#JetsCamp Updates - Day Five- Thurs 08/03/17

Maxman

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Augustiniak said:

just curious, do the jets have any former first round picks on the offensive side of the ball now that brick and mangold are gone?

James Carpenter, drafted 25th overall by Seattle in 2011. Otherwise no, there aren't any, only second round and below.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Gotta think Morton is on the hot seat with this kind of performance

Please tell me your not serious with this. New OC installing a new offense working against a dominant DL, what would you expect to happen.

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'd love to know to the backstory behind your hate for Hackenberg. 

It takes no insight to just keep whining and making shlt up?  Theres a whole crew of "fans" who openly root against the only hope we have at QB.  

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Beat guys significantly less effusive when it's Petty completing passes because that's a storyline that conflicts with the one they're desperate to be writing for the next six weeks. 

Blame the writers, desperation has creeped in 

Can Kelvin Beachum give Jets consistency at left tackle?

What will Kelvin Beachum give the Jets this season? (USA Today Sports)

What will Kelvin Beachum give the Jets this season? (USA Today Sports)

FLORHAM PARK -- From 2006-15, the Jets' left tackle position was never a question mark. D'Brickashaw Ferguson started every game from the time the Jets drafted him in 2006 until he retired after the 2015 season. He never missed a snap due to injury. 

It was unreasonable to expect his successor to compile a remarkable stretch of durability like that. But in Year 2 after Ferguson's retirement, here in 2017, the Jets are already on their second successor -- Kelvin Beachum, who they signed this offseason. 

Will he be more effective this season than Ryan Clady was last year? Clady was limited to eight starts by a shoulder injury. The Jets decided to cut ties with him earlier this offseason. 

The answer to that question about Beachum depends largely on his left knee. Midway through the 2015 season, with the Steelers, he tore his ACL and MCL. The injury's impact lingered as he struggled last year in Jacksonville. He is still just 28 years old, in his sixth NFL season, but you have to wonder what kind of production the Jets will get from him this year. 

Beachum's goal for 2017: "Getting back to the form that I know I can play at," he told NJ Advance Media this week at training camp, as he wore a brace on his left knee.

He probably will wear that brace all season, but said his knee is "feeling a ton better." He expects to be "pretty close" to 100 percent by Week 1, but he's not there right now. 

"My standard is so high that for me, it's not 100 percent yet," he said. "But I'm just a stickler. I want to freaking run like a deer and do cartwheels and front flips. I can't do those things yet, but it's very, very close. It's a lot closer than it was last year in Jacksonville and it's a lot closer than it was when I stepped in the building here." 

His lone season with the Jaguars, in 2016, didn't go as he hoped. Pro Football Focus rated him 63rd among offensive tackles. He missed most of training camp. While he started all but one game (due to a concussion), he allowed five sacks, according to The Florida Times-Union's count. The Jaguars didn't pick up his contract option for 2017. 

Beachum indicated this week that his knee hindered him last season, as he struggled. 

"Look at the film and see whether it did that," he said. "I don't make excuses. I don't have time to look back and regret. Whether I came back too early, that's for God to know and for me to know. The question is: What am I going to do right now? I've got to find a way to start the whole year, be healthy the whole year. I kind of took it for granted, like, 'Oh, I blew my knee out. I'll be back real soon.' But it's a lot of rehab." 

With the Jets, as his knee feels better, Beachum has found renewed zest. 

"You love football again," he said. "It's not that you don't love football [while returning from an injury], but it's a point where it's a grind because I'd never had an injury before in my life, never missed a game in my life. I learned a lot about myself, found a way to start every single game that I was allowed to start in. You're not supposed to be coming off an ACL and MCL [tear] and total knee reconstruction in nine to 10 months. I found a way to get it done." 

Beachum has a three-year contract with the Jets that essentially ties him to the organization through at least 2018, because of the deal's structure. So he likely won't be a one-and-done left tackle like Clady, though that doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting a tackle high next year, especially if they don't need to draft a quarterback. 

This season, Beachum is intent on showing he can still be a reliable player -- and that he doesn't need to be replaced by a younger guy just yet. He views this as a prove-it year. 

"For me, it's just extended motivation, not so much for somebody else, but for me, to show myself," he said. "This is just an evolution process in my journey and my story." 

That evolution continued early in camp. On Day 1, Saturday, "I felt like I was in cement," he said. By the next day, he moved around much better. 

As Beachum progresses, he likes new offensive coordinator John Morton's scheme because its gap-oriented blocking principles are similar to what the Steelers used when he played for them from 2012-15. 

"This feels like home," Beachum said. 

48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

just curious, do the jets have any former first round picks on the offensive side of the ball now that brick and mangold are gone?

Carpenter is it I think..... Forte was 2nd round. ASJ 2nd Round. Hack 2nd Round... think that is pretty much it.

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bowles said they installed some more of the O today and were moving some guys around..I haven't seen any beat writers tweet that info

Only thing I saw tweeted was the Wesley Johnson got some time at LG today. So perhaps the OL was moving around a bit today and created less than stellar results.

Archived