#JetsCamp Updates - Day Five- Thurs 08/03/17

Maxman

Sounds like Powell is doing great.  The young WRs are doing as well as can be expected.  And the QBs are making throws.  The sacks seem to be the theme, which points solidly at the OL.  Yes, the QBs could throw it away faster, but with the kind of animals rushing them from the DL, I can't blame them too much.  If they can fix the OL, they might be serviceable this season.  But that's a hard thing to fix at this point.  We were spoiled for a decade and now we get to appreciate what we had then :|

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems like it would be easy to provide an example then.

Lets start with your statement that only one media homer said Hack has looked good.  

We can shoot over to the goofy idea that the media is downplaying Petty completions for a Hack agenda.  Unless you have actual proof that this nonsense is fact.  Im open to it

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets start with your statement that only one media homer said Hack has looked good.  

We can shoot over to the goofy idea that the media is downplaying Petty completions for a Hack agenda.  Unless you have actual proof that this nonsense is fact.  Im open to it

So, any time you wanted to provide an example of me lying about Hackenberg, go right ahead. 

Our O is less good than some college teams talent wise, so it shouldn't be a surprise that we struggle there.  We have the worst skill positions in the league, the worst QB situation in the league and one of the worst OLines in the league.

Overheard at Jets camp: There was some grumbling, especially by the offense, after the sloppiest practice of camp. No one expects the Jets to be the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0, but they should be able to perform the basic fundamentals. Today, they allowed 10 "sacks," dropped passes and committed penalties. "We weren't ready and it's frustrating, I can't lie about that," WR Quincy Enunwa said, adding, "I believe in us. We'll learn from today." New offensive coordinator John Morton has a huge challenge on his hands.

So . . . . DLine and 2ndary looking good?:(

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Overheard at Jets camp: There was some grumbling, especially by the offense, after the sloppiest practice of camp. No one expects the Jets to be the Greatest Show on Turf 2.0, but they should be able to perform the basic fundamentals. Today, they allowed 10 "sacks," dropped passes and committed penalties. "We weren't ready and it's frustrating, I can't lie about that," WR Quincy Enunwa said, adding, "I believe in us. We'll learn from today." New offensive coordinator John Morton has a huge challenge on his hands.

So . . . . DLine and 2ndary looking good?:(

Atleast untill they face a real offense 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Please tell me your not serious with this. New OC installing a new offense working against a dominant DL, what would you expect to happen.

He came when you responded with this. Know what I'm sayin'?

31 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

He came when you responded with this. Know what I'm sayin'?

One is blaming the kid QB for growing pains he's imagined learning the new offense and now someone is blaming the OC for implementing a new offense.

All after 5 or 6 practices.

Cant make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

I am shaking my head at Macc's "find OL late in the draft" concept.  I knew this was going to come back and bite us in the ass, esp. with all the young QB's we have.

So after a week of camp you think we've been bit in the ass? 

The Negatives just drone on in hopes of being right so they can boast I Told You So, I Can Run This Team Better.... and of course be more negative. If they are wrong, it's the old Glad I Was Wrong adage....and everybody is happy.  Critiquing and having concerns is one thing (the odds are the Jets won't have a great season), but this continued 'blind' bashing based on 4 days of practice and some notes from negative beat writers is tiresome. I like reading positive articles but at the same time also enjoy well thought out analytical concerns critiques of players or coaches - not 'he's a joke' 'he's a bust' 'the OL sucks'. I think it was Glenn who wrote one of the better articles I read about how the Jets delayed their rebuild etc. due to the unexpected good year with Fitz and went with it again and it failed. Great article.

Jets' prized rookie Jamal Adams injures ankle in practice

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0720%2Fr234179_1 First-round pick Jamal Adams had an eventful week, making the national news and then spraining his ankle. Ed Mulholland/USA TODAY Sports

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It has been an eventful week for rookie safety Jamal Adams.

The New York Jets’ first-round draft pick, who made national news Monday with his "die on the field" comments, sprained an ankle during the early portion of Thursday's practice and sat out for the remainder of the day.

It doesn't appear serious. Adams, injured in a 7-on-7 drill, watched the rest of practice from the sideline. There will be no MRI exam, according to coach Todd Bowles.

"I don't know how bad or how much he sprained it, but I know he sprained it, so we kept him out," Bowles said.

After practice, Adams tweeted that he's OK.

Adams, drafted sixth overall, has been working with the starters since the offseason practices. Adams and fellow rookie Marcus Maye are poised to start as a tandem. The top backups are Rontez MilesDoug Middleton and Shamarko Thomas.

Bowles, commenting for the first time, said the media blew it out of proportion.

"You knew what he meant, but when there's no news going on and you want to make news, you can make news anytime you want," he said. "Here in the city, in New York especially, when you misstep and make a mistake or quote something like that, people take it and run with it."

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets rookie report: Each day, there's good, bad and ugly. That's what happens with such a young team. S Marcus Maye was active in pass coverage, WR Chad Hansen fumbled after a short reception, OLB Dylan Donahue recorded a sack (unblocked), and TE Jordan Leggett ran a punishment lap for a penalty. Sorry, I don't keep stats on laps, but Leggett has run multiple laps in the first five days of camp. Hey, at least he'll be in shape.

Rough day for Jets' quarterbacks ... and everybody else on offense

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Coach Todd Bowles called it a "sloppy" practice. He was being kind.

It was difficult to evaluate the New York Jets' three-man quarterback competition Thursday because there were so many mistakes around them. The pass protection was poor and the receivers dropped too many passes. Unofficially, the Jets ran 64 plays in practice, 10 of which resulted in "sacks." That's not good, folks.

Anyway, here's a closer look at how the quarterbacks fared in the fifth practice.

JOSH McCOWN

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0803%2Fr239660_4

Josh McCown had an inconsistent outing Thursday working with the first-team offense, including taking four sacks in his 28 reps. AP Photo/Seth Wenig

Bowles said this would be an open competition, but it hasn't unfolded that way. McCown has worked exclusively with the starters, showing good command of the offense and the huddle. Pre-snap, the 38-year-old is a smart cookie. When it comes to throwing, especially downfield, his accuracy is inconsistent. On Thursday, he completed 10 of 15 passes, but took four sacks in 28 reps.

Wow moment: Yes, there was a wow moment. With time to set up in the pocket, McCown zipped a nice pass to Jalin Marshall on a skinny post. It was one of the few occasions he had time to throw.

Whoa moment: The Jets ran their first live red-zone period of camp, and let's just say it wasn't good. In two series, McCown was 2-for-6 with three sacks and was almost intercepted by rookie safety Marcus Maye. The action happens faster in the red zone, and the offense was a step behind. Earlier, in an 11-on-11 period, McCown was almost picked off by linebacker Jordan Jenkins.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Hackenberg still hasn't thrown an interception in 11-on-11 drills, but don't interpret that to mean he's cruising along. The second-year player is still erratic, particularly when it comes to blitz recognition. Thursday was his second consecutive mediocre practice, as he completed 4 of 8 in 21 reps.

Wow moment: Not Thursday.

Whoa moment: After practice, Bowles noted Hackenberg tends to hold the ball too long, especially in 7-on-7. In 11-on-11 drills, he scrambled out of the pocket on three occasions, perhaps an indication of happy feet.

BRYCE PETTY

Petty finished with 15 reps, but the bulk of them came near the end of practice. He was efficient (4-for-4) and had no turnovers, a minor miracle considering the amount of pressure he faced: four sacks.

Wow moment: When Petty has a clean read and time to throw, he can spin it as well as any of the quarterbacks. He made two nice intermediate completions late in practice, hitting Deshon Foxx and Gabe Marks.

Whoa moment: Whenever the defense blitzed.

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I am shaking my head at Macc's "find OL late in the draft" concept.  I knew this was going to come back and bite us in the ass, esp. with all the young QB's we have.

Not saying I disagree but this is a relatively new group of young guys. We should give them more than three practices before writing them off. 

Archived