Deshaun Watson Impressing at Texans Camp

PS17

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watson is precisely why there's no reason to tank. This kid was staring us in the face when our turn was up in the draft, and we took a safety instead. 

This is our problem. There's been plenty of opportunities to draft good QBs. But this organization has a knack for fooling itself into passing on them. 

This isn't a knock on Jamal Adams. He looks like he's for real. But the QB position is simply way more important.

5 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Watson is precisely why there's no reason to tank. This kid was staring us in the face when our turn was up in the draft, and we took a safety instead. 

This is our problem. There's been plenty of opportunities to draft good QBs. But this organization has a knack for fooling itself into passing on them. 

This isn't a knock on Jamal Adams. He looks like he's for real. But the QB position is simply way more important.

Which is why I give up hoping for draft position.  I never thought the Jets would have a shot at Watson after the 5th win.  And there he is staring you in the face and you take a S (who looks to be a stud).

Watson has accounted for 7 TD's this season.  The entire Jets team, has 7 TD's this season.

On 10/2/2017 at 7:46 AM, JiF said:

Which is why I give up hoping for draft position.  I never thought the Jets would have a shot at Watson after the 5th win.  And there he is staring you in the face and you take a S (who looks to be a stud).

Watson has accounted for 7 TD's this season.  The entire Jets team, has 7 TD's this season.

The Texans are averaging the most points per game since Watson took over, very small sample size I know.

Now I won't sit here, and pretend I wanted the Jets to draft Watson I didn't I wanted Mahomes, but to see the excitement he has injected into that fan base is what we have been waiting for well since forever, the fans are in the stadium an hour before kickoff just to watch the kid warm up, I'd even go so far as to say Texans fans are like JJ Watt who right now, **** him it's all Deshaun Watson all the time.  The Jets ticket office would be under staffed this week if we had Watson, and he just hung 35+ and then 50+ points up including beating the Patriots fielding calls from fans begging  to buy PSL's, another missed opportunity by the Jets.

On 10/5/2017 at 4:33 PM, Lupz27 said:

The Texans are averaging the most points per game since Watson took over, very small sample size I know.

Now I won't sit here, and pretend I wanted the Jets to draft Watson I didn't I wanted Mahomes, but to see the excitement he has injected into that fan base is what we have been waiting for well since forever, the fans are in the stadium an hour before kickoff just to watch the kid warm up, I'd even go so far as to say Texans fans are like JJ Watt who right now, **** him it's all Deshaun Watson all the time.  The Jets ticket office would be under staffed this week if we had Watson, and he just hung 35+ and then 50+ points up including beating the Patriots fielding calls from fans begging  to buy PSL's, another missed opportunity by the Jets.

Grass is always greener....

To be fair; the Texans were a good time (other than at QB); they went 9-7 with Osweller, et. al. at QB. The Jets needed a full rebuild as the team was full of aging and declining veterans. Had we selected Watson, I doubt he would be having the same success that he is having now.

Also remember, that a lot of QBs look good at first, but it is how they grow and how other teams learn to play against them that makes them last. Also, his team lost to a Pats team that lost to the Jags and barely beat the Bucs with QB that was playing poorly (former 1 pick) and a field goal kicker that missed 3 FGs.

My point, you can't get worked up about how a rookie QB is playing in the first quarter of his first season; how a player plays (esp. qb and rookie) has a lot to do with the team he plays on, who coaches him, and the system he is in.

Finally, even if we were to draft a franchise QB in the first round, it could take at least 2-3 years before it pays off (if ever). Many in this fan base would be asking for a FO reboot, fired coach and a journeyman QB as soon as the poor rookie had a bad game. :-) 

On 10/2/2017 at 2:39 AM, sourceworx said:

And there will be others after him. So why cry after every game? 

On 10/2/2017 at 7:46 AM, JiF said:

You, Rutgers, me and others wanted Watson.  He was a no-brainer pick for a QB needy team in the Jets.  His flaws were over-emphasized, while he beat elite comp in college, had a ton of experience as a starter (compared to a lot of other QBs coming out) and was amazing in big games.  He would've owned NY football for the next 10 years (especially with the disintegration of the Giants).

But, no, Macc had to try to save face and give Hacc more development time (of course, Watson has now seen more NFL game time than Hacc) and pass on Watson for a Safety.

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

You, Rutgers, me and others wanted Watson.  He was a no-brainer pick for a QB needy team in the Jets.  His flaws were over-emphasized, while he beat elite comp in college, had a ton of experience as a starter (compared to a lot of other QBs coming out) and was amazing in big games.  He would've owned NY football for the next 10 years (especially with the disintegration of the Giants).

But, no, Macc had to try to save face and give Hacc more development time (of course, Watson has now seen more NFL game time than Hacc) and pass on Watson for a Safety.

look on the bright side.  morton seems to be pretty good at getting the most out of his players.  if they can do this well without any scary offensive players then imagine what they can do with a better qb and experienced/scary receivers?  and the key here is obrien is not afraid to go to a different qb.  savage started the season and was quickly replaced with watson. if the jets picked watson would he be starting?  i don't think so.

i agree on watson.  the guy seemed to have some of those qualities that just aren't measured at the combines.  he just wins.  good for the texans.  

22 minutes ago, SMC said:

Addendum: If Watson doesn’t pan out, I will deny all of this. 

Got to admit... I liked Watson but was apprehensive due to all that 40mph speed of his throws garbage that was discussed before the NFL draft.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  What nonsense.  I've learned something from that.

29 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Got to admit... I liked Watson but was apprehensive due to all that 40mph speed of his throws garbage that was discussed before the NFL draft.  I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  What nonsense.  I learned something from that.

Teams that know enough about what they are doing float those rumors to get guys to drop. The idiot teams that are always at the top of the draft always fall for it. Jets included.

I liked Watson too - in fact I was trolling about him being nothing last night in the two safeties thread - but had to stop, because it felt so unbelievable. In the past several years, I've lobbied during preseason for a QB based on the VERY limited about of review I do of players. The guys I've wanted, who were there for us:

2017: Watson or Mahomes (I wanted to trade back to 9th or 10th pick)

2016: Prescott or Brissett (I thought either would be fine additions in the 3rd or 4th rounds)

2015: Petty or Hundley (I actually got what I wanted in Petty, I thought he could be developed, still do)

2014: Garrapolo or Savage (I loved Garrapolo as a prospect)

The point of bringing this up is to illustrate that it shouldn't be this ******* hard for scouting department to find a QB. It really shouldn't. Not when you've had the opportunities to pick them.

27 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

not a believer .... yet

looks like second coming of rg3. If he turns into Warren Moon or Fran Tarkenton ... i will admit i was wrong and eat crow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The TD where he side steps a rusher, charges the ball from his left hand to his right, never takes his eyes off his targets and unleashes a perfect deep throw sold me 

There is nothing a defense can do to adjust to that. No tendency to exploit. They had him dead to rights and the wr was covered 

He just beat it 

I can admit I didn't want Watson. Didn't see the arm strength needed to fit throws into tight windows and I thought his completion percentage wasn't reflective of his true accuracy. Thought he needed big time work with ball placement. He has certainly made me eat my words thus far. Only bright side is I picked him up in fantasy a couple weeks back and will definitely be starting him next week against the Browns. Our search for a QB continues.......

Archived