KRL Camp Notes (8/3/17)

KRL

My final day at camp and I want to thank Phil Sullivan (Maxman) and the site for getting
me access.  Also a huge shout out to the Jets kitchen staff for the "restaurant quality"
lunches they provide on a daily basis to the members of the media

General Notes

- Players in full pads

- Practice runs 2 hours 40 minutes

- Matt Forte, Connor Harris (ILB) and Marcus Murphy (RB) sat out

- Today was "red zone" day and the offense was out of sync.  John Morton (OC) had his
"cranky pants" on and I wouldn't want to be attending any of his meetings tonight.
Very weird day for the offense, the OLine and RB's performed well but the QB's and
WR's weren't on the same page.  Also, strangely the TE's weren't thrown to as much as the
first four days and the offense stalled

- Todd Bowles also wasn't satisfied because after practice the whole team had to run gassers

Player Notes

- Jamal Adams practiced but about half way through he was on the sideline and didn't participate
in any 11 on 11 periods.  This left Marcus Maye in charge of the secondary and he had another
good day.  In 1 on 1 drills he showed CB coverage skills and during one red zone period he almost
had an INT of Josh McCown

- Ardarius Stewart "flashed" in 1 on 1 drills with acrobatic catches from McCown and Christian
Hackenberg.  He showed good ability to adjust to the ball in the air and make difficult catches

- Chad Hansen unfortunately wasn't as lucky as he probably had the "practice from hell".  In one
period of 11 on 11 he was told to run laps on three consecutive reps.  In two reps he made assignment
mistakes and in the other he dropped a pass.  Hopefully someone gives him a hug and some ice cream
tonight

- Elijah McGuire continues to impress with his ability / willingness to run through the middle of
the line.  And today he flashed his receiving ability as he was excellent in "wheel routes"

- The OLine during the 11 on 11 periods provided enough time for the QB's to throw and was able to
get movement in the running game.  In 1 on 1 drills they were able to battle the DLine to a draw in
the reps.  Props to Brent Qvale, Brian Winters, Wesley Johnson, James Carpenter, Kelvin Beachum and
Brandon Shell

- Frank Beltre (OLB) the LB signed out of the CFL "flashed" today with some Dwight Freeney type spin
moves as he impressed in 1 on 1 drills.  Let's see if that continues

- Morris Claiborne continued his good camp with excellent coverage throughout all the drills.  He almost
had an acrobatic INT of McCown in 1 on 1 drills but the ball came out when he hit the ground

- Julian Stanford (ILB) had an impressive day showing physicality in the 9 on 7 running drills.  Then in
an 11 on 11 period he had a "sack" with a well timed blitz

- In the kicking competition Chandler Catanzaro was only 3 of 6 where Ross Martin was a perfect 6 of 6.
And on his 55 yard attempt Martin hit it with plenty of room to spare

- The more reps Dylan Donahue gets the more you see his pass rush ability.  Today he got a "sack" during
team periods

- Demario Davis had another "pad cracking" hit that led to a sack during team periods.  Will he keep this
up?

QB's

- With them being out of sync with the WR's no one can be "applauded".  There were some nice throws from
Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg in various 1 on 1 and 7 on 7 periods but the goal is to be consistent
and that didn't happen today

- Hackenberg continues to maintain the technical improvements that I saw the first four days.  But to be a #1 QB
you don't get a "trophy" for maintaining your fundamentals.  He needs to be judged on production just like any
other QB

Standouts

- Elijah McGuire
- Marcus Maye
- Morris Claborne

Concerns

- Out of sync offense
- Did the WR's have trouble with press coverage again
- Morton wants them to pick up the tempo in running plays

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that you were a lot less down on the OL than most of what was tweeted out today.  Kdels also had a different take than you, which is fine because we all look at different things.  So would you lay the 10 'sacks' more on the QBs in that they had time to get rid of the ball but held it too long?  

I'm sure there will be many more questions/comments coming.

Great report and much appreciated, KRL.  

How different people see the same thing amazes me.

KRL says the OL played well.  The beat writers say they were dreadful and defenders were unblocked regularly.  KRL says Ardarius "flashed" in 1v1.  kdels62 says he looked "lost" and was lining up wrong.  I suppose both could be true, but still.

Ome thing everyone agrees on? Nobody ever mentions Darron Lee. In other words, he is invisible.  The bust label is approaching...

Thanks KRL. I'm glad to see that you saw things differently than I did because biases can definitely alter what we see. 

I didn't watch the wr vs dbs because I figured that'd be covered extensively. If Stewart played well there I missed it. After they moved onto route combos and even 7v7s I saw a player that was struggling.

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

KRL says the OL played well.  The beat writers say they were dreadful and defenders were unblocked regularly.  KRL says Ardarius "flashed" in 1v1.  kdels62 says he looked "lost" and was lining up wrong.  I suppose both could be true, but still.

Ome thing everyone agrees on? Nobody ever mentions Darron Lee. In other words, he is invisible.  The bust label is approaching...

KRL is just too "positive" for me.  This is an awful team.

The QB's could have held the ball too long as the WR's were not open. JS is playing better than Lee right now. This guy Lee needs to be fighting for his job instead of fighting babes in clubs.

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Kdels also couldn't find Bowles anywhere on the field.  

Ill put my trust in KRLs reports

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The QB's could have held the ball too long as the WR's were not open. JS is playing better than Lee right now. This guy Lee needs to be fighting for his job instead of fighting babes in clubs.

Not another #1 pick cut..........

The "sacks" were because of coverage.  QB's had enough time but when no one was open they were

"sacked".  It goes back to what I saw the first couple of days of camp.  WR's had trouble with press

coverage.  I'm not going to debate the "mainstream media" when they aren't watching practice

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The offense will break out once they dont have to practice against this steel curtain defense and the live bullets start coming.

Ummm.... what?  Not sure if serious... or what the hell you're talking about?

The Jets offense will be bottom 5. 

And even mentioning the term "steel curtain" with this defensive group is blasphemy. There are only a few other defenses in NFL history that can even be thought about in the same conversation as the 70s Steelers.  I am 39 years old, didn't get to see them live.  But my father did.  He tells me they were so good, forget about offenses getting 1st downs.  The "curtain" would send them backwards.  1st and 10 to 4th and 25 regularly.  There were weeks of games where teams couldnt score a TD, even stringing consecutive shutouts.   What is it? Four HOFers on that defense?  And one more that many feel should be in too?

Bite your tongue sir... 

Thanks KRL. I trust your reports and will miss them. In another week we'll get to see for ourselves in a game. In the meantime I'll wade through all the BS most of the media flings to get through to next week. I miss Hofstra so much.

Just now, JohnJ said:

Ardarius Stewart "was lost" also.

I appreciate the reports but come on, report what's going on not your interpretation of what's on the field.  McCown looks like the starter?  Petty is better liked by teammates?  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I appreciate the reports but come on, report what's going on not your interpretation of what's on the field.  McCown looks like the starter?  Petty is better liked by teammates?  

"McCown looks like the starter," here's what I observed that backs up that claim.

I stated "Petty seems really well liked by teammates," and then I provided an observed interaction with players outside of his unit, and also other posters stated that they also have seen evidence of that claim. 

I stated that Ardarius Stewart looked lost. I stated situations where he looked lost, KRL said Stewart looked good in 1v1s, I state that I didn't watch that one portion of the practice. It's possible that Stewart could look good in 1v1s and poorly in team drills. 

Hack looked good during 7v7s but poor in team drills. It's weird how that can be true.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

"McCown looks like the starter," here's what I observed that backs up that claim.

I stated "Petty seems really well liked by teammates," and then I provided an observed interaction with players outside of his unit, and also other posters stated that they also have seen evidence of that claim. 

I stated that Ardarius Stewart looked lost. I stated situations where he looked lost, KRL said Stewart looked good in 1v1s, I state that I didn't watch that one portion of the practice. It's possible that Stewart could look good in 1v1s and poorly in team drills. 

Hack looked good during 7v7s but poor in team drills. It's weird how that can be true.

Sheesh so here we sit after 2 years of the worst QB in the NFL only to be led by anther loser QB career 18-42, what the hell is wrong with this organization......

Sign Johny Manzeil, sign RG III,sign Colin Kaepernick,sign  Jay Cutler if were not gonna start Hackenberg or Petty ANYONE but Josh McCown!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Fine, but its interpretation as I said.  That Petty may talk during practices and someone else doesn't doesn't mean hes liked more.  Some do, some don't.  

I didnt mention Stewart.  

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sheesh so here we sit after 2 years of the worst QB in the NFL only to be led by anther loser QB career 18-42, what the hell is wrong with this organization......

Sign Johny Manzeil, sign RG III,sign Colin Kaepernick,sign  Jay Cutler if were not gonna start Hackenberg or Petty ANYONE but Josh McCown!!!!!!!!

Stop 

Whether believed or not Bowles said Tuesday 1/3 of the offense has been installed. Today he said they installed some more of the O. For all those that forgot this is a brand new O  

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is basically yr 3 for this D. 

How can any rational person not expect the D to be miles ahead of the O at this point? 

Has any beat writer pointed this out? Doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Stop 

KRL gave us some great scouting and reporting in my opinion. It seems Josh McCown is winning the QB competition as we speak I hope I'm wrong and I've been wrong many times before but are you really defending Josh McCown or upset with my list of free agent QB's. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

The "sacks" were because of coverage.  QB's had enough time but when no one was open they were

"sacked".  It goes back to what I saw the first couple of days of camp.  WR's had trouble with press

coverage.  I'm not going to debate the "mainstream media" when they aren't watching practice

Dude you do such a great job can we start a yearly Go fund me page for krl to do thi,s full time.  Great work

Via NY Post:

Bowles attributed the high sack totals to working on some new blocking packages with different players, not necessarily a dominant day from the defense. Enunwa echoed Bowles, saying Thursday was a big install day for the offense.

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

KRL gave us some great scouting and reporting in my opinion. It seems Josh McCown is winning the QB competition as we speak I hope I'm wrong and I've been wrong many times before but are you really defending Josh McCown or upset with my list of free agent QB's. 

KRL has never said that McCown is winning the competition.  No one in the press has said it.  One fan posts that McCown after 1 practice looks like the starter and you come to this conclusion. 

Im defending who?  You list of scrub QBs, starting is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You are rudely mistaken I read other media reports as well as KRL's great evaluations of Jets camp. 

No one has reported that McCown has won anything.  

And there was nothing rude about my post, stop crying. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one has reported that McCown has won anything.  

And there was nothing rude about my post, stop crying. 

No one said they did, I said it seems..even though he has been getting all the work with the first team offense. 

Crying?  Have nice night so we discuss something and  you don't like what I say so I'm crying. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

No one said they did, I said it seems..even though he has been getting all the work with the first team offense. 

Crying?  Have nice night so we discuss something and  you don't like what I say so I'm crying. 

You said rude, I didn't.  Go to sleep

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Don't sweat it, Kdels.  You did great and opinions are totally fine in this situation.  A lot of people appreciate it so keep it up and do not feel the need to defend anything.

Archived