Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

http://nypost.com/2017/08/05/qb-controversy-that-isnt-and-four-other-jets-camp-takeaways/

Kill us all now. Once again having the HC and the GM not part of a united framework is a disaster. McCown getting any snaps in a game unless the other 2 young guys are hurt is MISMANAGEMENT. FIRE EVERYONE NOW. WHY WAIT? 

1. I’m not buying the idea this is an open competition at quarterback. I think coach Todd Bowles just wants to foster the idea of competition and is paying it lip service. The way they have divided the team reps tells the story.

First, let’s just forget about Bryce Petty being the starter. He barely is getting any team reps (four on Friday) and the ones he does get are with the third team.

That leaves Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg. So far McCown has gotten nearly all of the first-team snaps, and when I say “nearly all,” I mean about 99 percent. Hackenberg has worked with the second unit throughout camp. There has been no rotation, no alternating series, nothing. McCown looks like the starter and Hackenberg is the No. 2.

The only way I see this changing is if Hackenberg really plays well in the first two preseason games and forces the Jets to rethink it. But, at the moment, I would bet on McCown starting the season against the Bills unless he is injured.

None of the quarterbacks have looked particularly good, but I would give McCown the edge in terms of who is practicing the best. He clearly has better command of the offense right now, as you’d expect with a 38-year-old veteran who has played in it before.

2. One thing that has not been surprising is the wide receivers. They have looked as I expected them to — raw. Quincy Enunwa is the only receiver the Jets have with lots of playing experience and he went down Saturday night with a neck injury that may keep him out a while. The rest is a mix of draft picks, undrafted free agents and free-agent castoffs from other teams. There have been tons of drops in practice. I can’t remember a training camp where I have seen the football hit the ground more than this one between poor throws and drops.

It is tough to evaluate the quarterbacks because you know the receivers are running the wrong routes sometimes and that is the reason for incompletions. Offensive coordinator John Morton is losing his voice from barking at the wideouts.

3. Here is a positive for you: Marcus Maye, the team’s second-round pick, looks like the real deal. First-round pick Jamal Adams has gotten most of the attention, and he also looks ready to start Day 1, but I expected that. Maye has been a little surprising to me with how well he is playing. He had an interception returned for a touchdown Saturday night and a few other near interceptions, but the more impressive element of his game is how physical he is. He delivers big hits in practice on a routine basis. Adams and Maye could be the starting safeties for a very long time.

4. Demario Davis is back with the Jets after a year away in Cleveland, and he looks quicker to me. Davis is now playing the “Mike” linebacker with David Harris gone and he is flying around the field. He has made a number of crunching hits on running backs trying to block him on blitzes. What the Jets did to Harris is inexcusable, but they look like they have a strong replacement in Davis. The big question now is can he handle being the quarterback of the defense like Harris was in terms of making adjustments.

5. While the quarterback competition is not what the coaches cracked it up to be, there appears to be true competition at outside linebacker. The Jets are rotating players in with the first team on a daily basis under new position coach Kevin Greene. Lorenzo Mauldin, Jordan Jenkins, Dylan Donahue, Josh Martin and Frank Beltre have all gotten significant first-team reps. It will be interesting to see how that shakes out before the season.

FILED UNDE

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we wanted someone to start all sixteen games we would have signed Cutler or even Kaep, not McCown. There were other guys too, I'm sure we had the cap space to eat Brock Osweiler's contract.

McCown's basically here to have his job taken from him. He's the bare minimum NFL veteran QB. We'll see Hack, we'll probably see Petty. We'll probably see a practice squad guy or a TJ Yates kind of veteran that someone else cuts.

4 minutes ago, Baeton Manning said:

If we wanted someone to start all sixteen games we would have signed Cutler or even Kaep, not McCown. There were other guys too, I'm sure we had the cap space to eat Brock Osweiler's contract.

McCown's basically here to have his job taken from him. He's the bare minimum NFL veteran QB. We'll see Hack, we'll probably see Petty. We'll probably see a practice squad guy or a TJ Yates kind of veteran that someone else cuts.

What would be the net positive of executing this as a conscious strategy?

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not Bowles' fault that Hack and Petty are awful and McCown is clearly the best of the bunch. It's Mac's. 

He has NOT been clearly better. And he sucks. If they start McClown its just a repeat of the mistakes of the last 2 years.

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not Bowles' fault that Hack and Petty are awful and McCown is clearly the best of the bunch. It's Mac's. 

But it is Bowles fault that the young QB's aren't getting at least equal reps with the 'old savvy guy'.  You need reps to show improvement and learn...how can the young guys get better if they're getting insufficient reps?  

12 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

But it is Bowles fault that the young QB's aren't getting at least equal reps with the 'old savvy guy'.  You need reps to show improvement and learn...how can the young guys get better if they're getting insufficient reps?  

First team reps are earned not given away. 

The football team has 90 dudes on the roster for 53 spots, and 22 starting spots.

Everyone is fighting for their job.

You want Bowles to elevate Hack to QB 1 when he isn't even looking good as QB 2?

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What would be the net positive of executing this as a conscious strategy?

To really see what Hack and Petty have.

but installing a WCO with these 2 as your young QBs seems misplaced.  Should have drafted Peterman.  

There was no sense signing a Karp or Cutler.  They supposedly tried for Glennon.  They should explore Osweiler.  

Sources: Dolphins, Cutler finalizing 1-year deal

The Miami Dolphins and former Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler are finalizing a one-year deal, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The one-year deal is worth $10 million, plus incentives, a source told Schefter. The two sides are expected to hammer the deal out shortly.

In May, Cutler had retired from the NFL and was hired by Fox Sports as a game analyst.

Dolphins coach Adam Gase has played a significant role in convincing Cutler of the reasons he should play for the Dolphins, sources told ESPN's Jeff Darlington. Miami also raised its monetary offer, sources close to the situation said.

As of Saturday, Cutler was reluctant about a possible return to football, although he hadn't made any decision with certainty. Aware of his reluctance, but after a day of no direct communication with Cutler, Gase was eventually able to talk to him.

The Dolphins targeted Cutler because of the likelihood that starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill will undergo surgery to repair stretched ligaments in his left knee.

Cutler, 34, started 15 games in 2015 with Gase as his offensive coordinator, throwing for 3,659 yards with 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He completed 64.4 percent of his passes.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

First team reps are earned not given away. 

The football team has 90 dudes on the roster for 53 spots, and 22 starting spots.

Everyone is fighting for their job.

You want Bowles to elevate Hack to QB 1 when he isn't even looking good as QB 2?

I guess that depends on what the NY Jets are actually TRYING to do this season...

They dumped aging veterans to let young guys play at every other freaking position, no?  They dump Harris, Marshall and Decker so that Davis, Enunwa and Anderson get more of a chance to develop...dump a 35 y.o. Fitz (who has no business being an NFL starter) yet then sign a 38 y.o. has been (who has no business being an NFL stater) to take reps from the 2 QBs you've drafted over the past 3 years.

Remove the younger guys veteran competition at all spots except for ... QB.

So NYJ.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I guess that depends on what the NY Jets are actually TRYING to do this season...

They dumped aging veterans to let young guys play at every other freaking position, no?  They dump Harris, Marshall and Decker so that Davis, Enunwa and Anderson get more of a chance to develop...dump a 35 y.o. Fitz (who has no business being an NFL starter) yet then sign a 38 y.o. has been (who has no business being an NFL stater) to take reps from the 2 QBs you've drafted over the past 3 years.

Remove the younger guys veteran competition at all spots except for ... QB.

So NYJ.

Davis, Enunwa and Anderson have proven themselves (at least somewhat) before this season.  Hack hasn't even taken a single regular season snap. 

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

To really see what Hack and Petty have.

but installing a WCO with these 2 as your young QBs seems misplaced.  Should have drafted Peterman.  

There was no sense signing a Karp or Cutler.  They supposedly tried for Glennon.  They should explore Osweiler.  

but they're actively hoping McCown fails enough to play Hackenberg and Petty? Wouldn't the time to do that sort of thing be last year when Fitz was the worst QB in the league?

None of this matters. This was the year to draft some Oline and get set for the next highly drafted QB in next years draft. But we drafted defense (again) 1&2. Now we'll suck, get to draft Darnold or Allen, throw HIM behind a sh*t oline, and ruin him the way they ruined every other kid since 1976. 

But hey! Todd will have HIS guys and play HIS defense as we go 2-14, while ensuring we suck for the next 3 years as well, because the Offensive talent is crap, we have no talented core of veterans on that side of the ball, and we havent placed a framework in place for the future.

But at least Josh McCown is getting plenty of reps. Because hes a pro. He sucks balls, but hes a "real pro".

LOL.

It is inevitable. It is your destiny......haahahaha

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

None of this matters. This was the year to draft some Oline and get set for the next highly drafted QB in next years draft. But we drafted defense (again) 1&2. Now we'll suck, get to draft Darnold or Allen, throw HIM behind a sh*t oline, and ruin him the way they ruined every other kid since 1976. 

But hey! Todd will have HIS guys and play HIS defense as we go 2-14, while ensuring we suck for the next 3 years as well, because the Offensive talent is crap, we have no talented core of veterans on that side of the ball, and we havent placed a framework in place for the future.

But at least Josh McCown is getting plenty of reps. Because hes a pro. He sucks balls, but hes a "real pro".

LOL.

This is our weekly reminder that a President of Football Ops who isn't afraid of losing his job and therefore had the luxury of looking out for the long-term interests of the team could have prevented the current and inevitable sh*tbagging you've just laid out for us here. 

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL.

What offensive lineman would you have selected in this years draft?

Come to think of it who WAS their to take? There were certainly nobody worth a top 10 pick.

I say this is as a guy who's wanted a new OT for years, 2017 was NOT the year to get O-line help from college.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is our weekly reminder that a President of Football Ops who isn't afraid of losing his job and therefore had the luxury of looking out for the long-term interests of the team could have prevented the current and inevitable sh*tbagging you've just laid out for us here. 

Going to be a long season T0mShane are you ready? 

Image result for pouring hard liquor gifs

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Davis, Enunwa and Anderson have proven themselves (at least somewhat) before this season.  Hack hasn't even taken a single regular season snap. 

Pretty sure he hasn't been out of street clothes on gameday. So basically that makes him one of us. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

but they're actively hoping McCown fails enough to play Hackenberg and Petty? Wouldn't the time to do that sort of thing be last year when Fitz was the worst QB in the league?

They thought Fitz was good last year.  They are bubblers.

Hack was also a second round pick who could not even see the field in the second part of the season as an emergency QB.  Couldn't Bollinger do that?

5 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Come to think of it who WAS their to take? There were certainly nobody worth a top 10 pick.

I say this is as a guy who's wanted a new OT for years, 2017 was NOT the year to get O-line help from college.

Reminder that some of the fan base would rather say "Who would you have pick instead?" as they again go defense. 

So wasting high picks on defense because you can hide the mistake longer is an excuse not to use picks on offense. Ever. Got it. 

T0m is correct; this is why you need a Godfather/Club President to establish priorities and parameters and  to look out for the long-term interests of the franchise when the GM tries to pick 2 safeties with the top 2 picks. 

Just now, Tony MaC said:

Ok. 2017 wasnt the year. How abput 2016? 2015? 2014? 2013? And on and on.....

We have one first round pick on offense. One. James Carpenter. The core of our OLine was just cut or retired. We have a 6th rounder and a bunch of street free agents, late round picks, and other teams castoffs on Offense. 

Did they even PICK an offensive lineman in the draft? I honestly dont remember. The team has zero offensive talent in place. Quincy Enunwa is a nice player, but not a building block. But hey, we'll get to see that Todd Bowles Defense in action with our two new safetuea!

You know, the way we had that Herm Edwards, "draft 3 Corners a year" Defense, and the Rex Ryan, "I need first rounders at every position" Defense.

They neglected the offense for so long, Jets fans are numb to it. And when they draft Darnold or Allen or whoever next draft, and we watch him fail, like all of the others....dont be surprised. Because its predictable. But hey! We got us some damn good safeties! And McCown sure does have presence. We should give him more reps to continue his 15 years of "development".

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Reminder that some of the fan base would rather say "Who would you have pick instead?" as they again go defense. 

So wasting high picks on defense because you can hide the mistake longer is an excuse not to use picks on offense. Ever. Got it. 

T0m is correct; this is why you need a Godfather/Club President to establish priorities and parameters and  to look out for the long-term interests of the franchise when the GM tries to pick 2 safeties with the top 2 picks. 

That's not what I'm saying at all. All things equal I would have loved it if the Jets took a bluechip OT in round 1. Still do.

My point was that Engine's idea that we should have drafted an O-lineman this year to build that unit up was a moot point because the talent wasn't there for us to that in this year's draft. You know what there was in this years draft? Safety's, something we did need. And so we drafted safety's.

We can only take what we can get. A new Left Tackle who can be the next D'Brick is my ideal scenario for next year's draft, and its been that way for the last few years. But I'm not gonna complain when the GM makes a smart move and takes the best talent available though. 

7 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. All things equal I would have loved it if the Jets took a bluechip OT in round 1. Still do.

My point was that Engine's idea that we should have drafted an O-lineman this year to build that unit up was a moot point because the talent wasn't there for us to that in this year's draft. You know what there was in this years draft? Safety's, something we did need. And so we drafted safety's.

We can only take what we can get. A new Left Tackle who can be the next D'Brick is my ideal scenario for next year's draft, and its been that way for the last few years. But I'm not gonna complain when the GM makes a smart move and takes the best talent available though. 

Under the PI and UR penalties as enforced, things are not equal. Defenders are nullified by design. Spare pass rusher, defenders are less valuable than a center, LT, RT, QB or other skill position guy.   And if QB is not Priority #1, jeezI don't know what you are thinking, But the Jets front office figures to be hiring. 

Not official until shefter tweets it

Total speculation

That said, McCown does have previous experience running this offense

The owner can tank, but the coaches and players have to try to win.  Fans can say screw it start the young guy, but the coaches can't.

I think I read the last 3 years McCown started his team picked 1st, 2nd, 1st so there's that!

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ok. 2017 wasnt the year. How abput 2016? 2015? 2014? 2013? And on and on.....

We have one first round pick on offense. One. James Carpenter. The core of our OLine was just cut or retired. We have a 6th rounder and a bunch of street free agents, late round picks, and other teams castoffs on Offense. 

Did they even PICK an offensive lineman in the draft? I honestly dont remember. The team has zero offensive talent in place. Quincy Enunwa is a nice player, but not a building block. But hey, we'll get to see that Todd Bowles Defense in action with our two new safetuea!

You know, the way we had that Herm Edwards, "draft 3 Corners a year" Defense, and the Rex Ryan, "I need first rounders at every position" Defense.

They neglected the offense for so long, Jets fans are numb to it. And when they draft Darnold or Allen or whoever next draft, and we watch him fail, like all of the others....dont be surprised. Because its predictable. But hey! We got us some damn good safeties! And McCown sure does have presence. We should give him more reps to continue his 15 years of "development".

Look man, I can't say the team's lack of offensive talent in the draft isn't a problem, I can only look at what the options or Gm had and whether or not they made the most sound decision at the time.  So far I think Mac made two obvious calls in the first round and one debatable one with Lee when there weren't any obvious picks to make. As for his second rounders, one was a snake bitten WR, a QB that was drafted to high that we're figuring out and a Safety who looks decent in the early going and has enough promise to be worth his draft position. 

I would LOVE some offensive talent in the higher rounds but its all about how the draft breaks and what value is there in the end.

In all fairness to Mac, the one who claims to draft the BPA, his 3 drafts were not great on the QB, OT and Edge that the Jets needed, particularly where the Jets picked.

but given that, you build the team up in other ways, including trading down, to build a team that is competitive.

Macc's strategy appears to be bpa drafting plus roster rigidity plus bargain basement FA.  This Is not a well constructed team.  The entire front office is to blame. 

3 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Look man, I can't say the team's lack of offensive talent in the draft isn't a problem, I can only look at what the options or Gm had and whether or not they made the most sound decision at the time.  So far I think Mac made two obvious calls in the first round and one debatable one with Lee when there weren't any obvious picks to make. As for his second rounders, one was a snake bitten WR, a QB that was drafted to high that we're figuring out and a Safety who looks decent in the early going and has enough promise to be worth his draft position. 

I would LOVE some offensive talent in the higher rounds but its all about how the draft breaks and what value is there in the end.

I agree with this.  But Macc needed to move a DL after Leo was picked, and the call was another player than Lee probably.  

Just now, varjet said:

I agree with this.  But Macc needed to move a DL after Leo was picked, and the call was another player than Lee probably.  

I think he's been trying to do that with Sheldon, but according Richardson he wouldn't take the deals they offered. Either way we're gonna be down one top end D-lineman after this season is done. (And Leo ain't getting cut)

I can't argue much when it comes to criticizing the Lee pick other than the fact that I think he's not as small for his position as some people think. (its a shrinking position because the LBers need to be faster) 

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Exactly. Macc's two biggest mistakes were not trading Wilk or Richardson after he got Williams and drafting Lee. If your not gonna take a premium position in round 1 you to hit on a truly exceptional talent with the player you draft and right now Lee is barely average. 

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Exactly. Macc's two biggest mistakes were not trading Wilk or Richardson after he got Williams and drafting Lee. If your not gonna take a premium position in round 1 you to hit on a truly exceptional talent with the player you draft and right now Lee is barely average. 

Then according to you, he's doing a solid job if these mistakes you say are his trouble spots are not really mistakes .

Archived