Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, Lil Woody said:

That's a ridiculous take imo.  We should just respect the coaches decisions as it pertains to the depth chart?  Why exactly?

Well Bowels has shown exactly nothing to command that kind of respect and acceptance. what he has shown is a propensity to stick with established vets - which is just him acting in his own self interest.  So you want us, AS FANS, to get on board with THAT?  To accept a defensive coach, looking to place a vet QB at the helm to not make mistakes, and keep games close, to try to win on defense like it is 1980. Just so he can improve on his own W/L record to keep his seat cool?  You want us to ignore the best interests of the team we root for long term and to choose to get behind the idea to NOT TRY to develop a QB for the future and settle for a mediocre backup. For what...because Todd Bowles wants that?  Sorry.  We aren't Fans of the New York Bowles.  We are Jets fans. We want to see progress at QB position. We want to see development.  We want to see a team with the potential to actually do something besides go 8-8.  And I don't mean squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 and go home early. No. Play Hack and Petty.  McCown is a break glass in case of emergency player.

And so what if McCown fights super hard to be mediocre. We should see that as a good thing? This guy is out there killing himself every down and he's still not good.  So let's reward that lack of talent and low ceiling because he's presently better than our other players.  I wonder if the Giants should have suffocated Eli for Kurt Warner.  Kurt was CLEARLY the better player, as Eli was hot garbage years 1-3.  There are plenty of similar examples. You have to have more than just short term vision towards the next practice or next opponent when it comes to roster decisions. Rolling with losers like Fitz and McCown because they are better right now is just accepting mediocrity. 

BTW what did Hack do to you? Bang your girlfriend? Every post I see with you is almost hard line hater material, essentially not even allowing for Hack to ever improve or become better than he is. The book isn't written on this kid at all. But if you don't play him, you won't ever know.

Finally, who is that guy in the avatar? That's one weird looking dude. Looks like one of those nick cage faces like in the memes. Was he a jets coach or something?  I don't recognize him.

Wow such an awesome post. It seems that a lot of people respond to the "low talent but high effort thing" so strongly that they fundamentally ignore the actual level of the play, while a high level prospect is given no slack whatsoever and is held to a completely unreasonable and unobtainable standard. Eric Allen was spouting off all the same crap the other day- locker room leader, doesnt slide, gives 150%, coach in making....blah blah. Nothing changes the fact he sucks. BAD

I believe that the success of a QB is a self prophesying thing. In Eli's example, if his name was Smith and not Manning he might be out of the league now, but the Giants committed 100% to the guy and it paid off.

Jets need to do the same thing. Commit 100% to Hack, especially with this roster. And dont judge him by stats but by improvement you see from each week to the next.

The Jets remind me of a craps player that is completely scared of losing, so he plays both the PASS and DON"T PASS lines at the same time. In the end, that strategy guarantees a loss, but it's exactly what the Jets do. They know they have to see what they have in Hack (PASS LINE) but they fear if they just play it and put odds behind the line they will lose, so idiots like Bowles play the useless veteran (DON"T PASS LINE) and are completely content in just losing a little. They are pussies.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

completely foolish perspective. There isn't a defensive end on the planet, in the history of defensive ends that the Pats owner would trade for Bellicheck.

Maybe not, but there are a QB's on the planet that would make him think twice. 

Finding the exception doesn't disprove the rule by the way. Belli is a cheater let's talk about real HCs and what they can do without the aid of radio jammers or video spies 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I am sympathetic to starting the season starting McCown.  He will not last long, due to health and competence.

But it gives Hack more time and he can see the game being played on the field close up and learn a few things.  He can then come in, without any tape on him, and try to clean up the mess McCown leaves.  Even if Bowles wanted to start McCown 16 games, there is no way he makes it physically or successfully.

They need a PS QB.  Hopefully somebody frees up.  They will burn through at least 4 QBs next year, no question.

Bowles was not a good coach last year.  He relied too much on bad lazy assistants who had checked out, and he was not proactive enough.

I am liking the Jets drafts less and less.  By the end of this season, we will be able to do an interesting analysis of the players that Macc passed over during the last 3 years.  I think Bowles was very involved in the defensive picks made during that time.  We are not pawning Lee off on Macc alone.

If Claiborne holds up I think the Jets defense will be decent.  The Jets will hold teams to few points initially, but eventually the defense will tire out and lose the field position battle because the offense will be so bad.  Despite approving cutting Decker, I think they should try and find a FA WR who gets cut loose for cheaper.  How much did Decker sign for with TN?

He's already done the watching thing.  There is no advantage or benefit to McCown taking a single snap.

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

So if he develops and really comes on in yr 3 or yr 4 you're just going to let him walk? 

To keep him, you'll have to pay him top dollar like he's won something, for a guy who only has 1 decent year.  Look at Hack, he's into his second year, still struggling to displace a 38 YO journeyman QB.  If he again rides the pine until Dec, you get a 4 game look at him with a beaten team, and have the chance to draft a franchise QB (maybe) how do you think it's going to go?

No GM in his right mind is going to play a meh 2nd round pick, when he has the first over all pick in the draft on the bench.  Not and keep his job.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Compared to a job at Best buy it's a lot of money. But by NFL salary standards, they are not paying HC that much money. 

The salary cap doesn't apply to coaches. If Coaches really made the difference between winning and losing there's nothing to stop an owner from giving a HC an Andrew Luck type of contract. 

The fact that you don't have to pay one Luck money?  Owners don't strike me as stupid enough to pay someone stupid money when you don't have to.

When Parcells retired from the Jets it was reported he told Woody he would stay for 8 mil.  He was turned down

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

They can't start themselves. Sometimes you need a HC with some balls, who can see the potential and give them the opportunity.   

Here's an honest question would you go out and buy a Christian Hackenberg authentic Nike jersey right now? It's like what? 200$ lot of money right for a guy who's never taken a snap

fans want Bowles to risk his job on a guy they wouldn't even spend 200$ on 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When Parcells retired from the Jets it was reported he told Woody he would stay for 8 mil.  He was turned down

Both of these examples are former HCs in the NYJ. Parcells didn't get us a ring and Belli quit after 8 hours. 

bringing Parcells and Belichek into a discussion about what a HC can do for a team is like talking about Brady or Kurt Warner when we are talking about QBs. They are the rare unicorns. Yes there are some guys that make a difference.  But you can't draft a coach against his will. Even opening up the vaults isn't enough. These guys need reasons to be here.

if there is a next parcells he's not coming to this franchise cause we don't have a QB. that's a GM level failure, not a HC level one 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Here's an honest question would you go out and buy a Christian Hackenberg authentic Nike jersey right now? It's like what? 200$ lot of money right for a guy who's never taken a snap

C'mon.  Reverse that question.  Would you go out and buy a $200 McCown jersey?

Only an idiot would risk his career on a proven loser like McCown.  What's he 2-and 22 last couple of years?  Not exactly a career saver

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Maybe not, but there are a QB's on the planet that would make him think twice. 

Finding the exception doesn't disprove the rule by the way. Belli is a cheater let's talk about real HCs and what they can do without the aid of radio jammers or video spies 

Let me ask you this, outside of QB, is there a player in the NFL that any team looking for a coach would chose over Harbough if he became available?

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Both of these examples are former HCs in the NYJ. Parcells didn't get us a ring and Belli quit after 8 hours. 

bringing Parcells and Belichek into a discussion about what a HC can do for a team is like talking about Brady or Kurt Warner when we are talking about QBs. They are the rare unicorns. Yes there are some guys that make a difference.  But you can't draft a coach against his will. Even opening up the vaults isn't enough. These guys need reasons to be here.

if there is a next parcells he's not coming to this franchise cause we don't have a QB. that's a GM level failure, not a HC level one 

I never said any of this, I used it to show NFL QBs do not get 8 mil, never mind Luck dollars.

And there is no proof that the next Parcells wouldn't come here.  Parcells wasn't Parcells in year one.  He was an assistant who had no history and won 3 games in year 1

27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

C'mon.  Reverse that question.  Would you go out and buy a $200 McCown jersey?

Only an idiot would risk his career on a proven loser like McCown.  What's he 2-and 22 last couple of years?  Not exactly a career saver

I think the quickest way to get fired as a coach is to start a quarterback who functions as though you slapped a helmet on some random dude in the parking lot and told him he was your guy for the day because YOLO. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_0670.PNG

It's become his newest bugaboo, it can be overcome with time. I'm more concerned about whether or not his technique is holding and if he is indeed making the right reads and calling the right protections. That last one might contribute to this problem.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I worry Hackenberg may suffer from Ken O'Brien syndrome.

Hackenberg suffers from Ron Powlus Syndrome. He'd have to make an amazing turnaround just to get to the point where he can suffer from Blaine Gabbert Syndrome.

3 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

It's become his newest bugaboo, it can be overcome with time. I'm more concerned about whether or not his technique is holding and if he is indeed making the right reads and calling the right protections. That last one might contribute to this problem.

Did you ever look at a corpse and say, "rigor mortis is this guy's newest bugaboo"?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

What does his jersey have to do with anything?  Are you familiar with the term DEVELOPMENT?  Are you so stubborn in your thinking that you REFUSE To even consider the POSSIBILITY that Hack can get develop into a quality QB?  Here is my question to you; what do you have to lose?  The team is already expected to suck donkey balls.  Maybe we get lucky for a change; God knows we are long overdue.   Instead you want to play a proven loser with no future on a rebuilding team.  Yeah that makes total sense.

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

What does his jersey have to do with anything?  Are you familiar with the term DEVELOPMENT?  Are you so stubborn in your thinking that you REFUSE To even consider the POSSIBILITY that Hack can get develop into a quality QB?  Here is my question to you; what do you have to lose?  The team is already expected to suck donkey balls.  Maybe we get lucky for a change; God knows we are long overdue.   Instead you want to play a proven loser with no future on a rebuilding team.  Yeah that makes total sense.

Agree its Christian Hackenberg- Bryce Petty or BUST!!!!!!!  How the hell can any Jets fan want to start another NFL loser QB is just crazy.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I would not spend $200 on a McCown jersey either, so what the heck does this prove??

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I worry Hackenberg may suffer from Ken O'Brien syndrome.

I was sitting in the end zone seats last Saturday at the scrimmage so I got a very good look at him when the O's back was turned to us. I'll reiterate what I said yesterday: Browning Nagle had perhaps the happiest feet I've seen when it comes to Jets QBs, but he looked like a complete natural Fred Astaire clone compared to the Herman Munster like clunky, awkward footwork displayed by Hackenberg. His drop backs are scary ugly, no other way to describe it.

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree its Christian Hackenberg- Bryce Petty or BUST!!!!!!!  How the hell can any Jets fan want to start another NFL loser QB is just crazy.

What's really crazy is how any Jets fan can believe there is anything of value to develop that sits within the QB meeting room at Florham Park.

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

Nobody knows that at this point. Saying that you do is ridiculous. Regardless though, arms like his, even if he ends up being terrible will buy him many, many chances.

Don't worry, besides the horrible O-line and coaching staff you now will have Enunwa's injury to blame for Hack and Petty sucking after McCown gets injured

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We don't actually know that yet. 

laugh-at-that.gif

Sorry boss, there ain't 1 NFL caliber, much less starting caliber, QB that is currently employed by the NYJ. AT BEST we have 3 lower end second stringers. This is like NY Rangers level of goaltending and overall talent during that black hole period between Richer & Lundqvist and they were being backstopped by NHL luminaries like Mike Dunham, Dan Blackburn, and Jussi Markannen. None of those goalies were legit NHL starters, and the results reflected it.

Exactly like it.

1 minute ago, glenn31 said:

Sorry boss, there ain't 1 NFL caliber, much less starting caliber, QB that is currently employed by the NYJ. AT BEST we have 3 lower end second stringers. TExactly like it.

If it wasn't for Macagnan the only Jets qb who would even be in the NFL now would be McCown and he'd be like the 3rd string in Dallas

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

If it wasn't for Macagnan the only Jets qb who would even be in the NFL now would be McCown and he'd be like the 3rd string in Dallas

Can't argue that. I can't remember any time either local team had literally no one I would trust to start 8 games for me, much less a full 16... maybe the mid-90s Dan Reeves Giants teams with Dave Brown, Kent Graham, & a very, very young Tommy Maddox.

In fact, that's exactly who this group parallels and scary thing is that aforementioned Giant group might be slightly better than this Jets collection of QB crap.

5 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Can't argue that. I can't remember any time either local team had literally no one I would trust to start 8 games for me, much less a full 16... maybe the mid-90s Dan Reeves Giants teams with Dave Brown, Kent Graham, & a very, very young Tommy Maddox.

In fact, that's exactly who this group parallels and scary thing is that aforementioned Giant group might be slightly better than this Jets collection of QB crap.

They swapped Fitz for Mccown without drafting a QB this year. Should have just kept Fitz and held onto Decker tbh as they'd both be the best players on this offense. Defense probably wont be awful. The Mccown thing makes no sense at all right now.

Archived