Costello: The Job is McCown's

Bugg

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Then according to you, he's doing a solid job if these mistakes you say are his trouble spots are not really mistakes .

Not trading Mo or Rich was bad. If he gets something for them then it rectifies a big mistake he made tho I believe their peak value is gone. If Lee becomes a special player and the defense follows then it also protects Macc from criticism.

i don't hate Macc like some here do and I understand the first year signings, but asset management and drafting have to function properly to excuse the roster purge that occurred. Because if a rebuild starts now there is little foundation to build upon. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe we should let him.

After all, what would we lose?

Building a winning program doesn't happen over night. It takes time and making good decisions. The decision to give Hack a job he doesn't deserve doesn't advance the cause of building a winning program.

Say what you want about McCown, he's an actual professional. Hack hasn't earned anything and they shouldn't give him the QB job any more than they should give Javareus Leamon the starting LT job. Putting raw players in positions they aren't ready for isn't a recipe for success. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When the rest of the team realizes that the meritocracy has been upset and the QB is held to another set of rules than the rest of the team, the players stop giving a sh*t. And deservedly so. The QB is the most important position on the field, when the Jets give that position to a sh*tburger, the defense isn't going to fight for that guy. Say what you want about McCown, he's an actual professional. Hack hasn't earned sh*t. 

So are you looking for a repeat of last season where the players decide who the QB should be.  

I would think a young QB Hack or Petty fighting for every throw and yard would make a defense more intense and more hungry instead of being on the field all damn game and watching an old re-tread QB throw INT's and losing games. 

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not trading Mo or Rich was bad. If he gets something for them then it rectifies a big mistake he made tho I believe their peak value is gone. If Lee becomes a special player and the defense follows then it also protects Macc from criticism.

i don't hate Macc like some here do and I understand the first year signings, but asset management and drafting have to function properly to excuse the roster purge that occurred. Because if a rebuild starts now there is little foundation to build upon. 

I disagree especially when the foundation of this team is based on the defense and it's the strongest since the team Walt Michaels built . The offense just needs a break and like the Jets, I am hoping Hackenberg gives them that break and if not, the potential is there for that break in the draft of 2018 . The Jets are building a strong defense, and along the way developing offensive skill players . By the time the 2018 draft hits, the Jets will have a pretty strong defense in place, some diverse young weapon in the receiving core at WR and TE just waiting for the right commander ..  Either Hackenberg will develop into that commander or the draft of 2018 will afford us that opportunity .

You build a house from the ground up and while you're building, the beginning look like something but it's not pretty .  It's not until the final product that the accolades start pouring in .  This has never been done before by the Jets, so some fans who have been waiting forever have their doubts while others see an opportunity to create the type of atmosphere they thrive in .

I like what I see, so I will be patient and enjoy the ride .

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

None of this matters. This was the year to draft some Oline and get set for the next highly drafted QB in next years draft. But we drafted defense (again) 1&2. Now we'll suck, get to draft Darnold or Allen, throw HIM behind a sh*t oline, and ruin him the way they ruined every other kid since 1976. 

But hey! Todd will have HIS guys and play HIS defense as we go 2-14, while ensuring we suck for the next 3 years as well, because the Offensive talent is crap, we have no talented core of veterans on that side of the ball, and we havent placed a framework in place for the future.

But at least Josh McCown is getting plenty of reps. Because hes a pro. He sucks balls, but hes a "real pro".

LOL.

It is inevitable. It is your destiny......haahahaha

Dozier just needs a few more years to spread his wings and fly and then you'll eat your words!!!!

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's not Bowles' fault that Hack and Petty are awful and McCown is clearly the best of the bunch. It's Mac's. 

This.  There are very few rosters that would have Hack or Petty on them.  McCown is the starter because Hack and Petty aren't NFL players and Mac has failed at the position.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So are you looking for a repeat of last season where the players decide who the QB should be.  

I would think a young QB Hack or Petty fighting for every throw and yard would make a defense more intense and more hungry instead of being on the field all damn game and watching an old re-tread QB throw INT's and losing games. 

No I want the fans to respect the coach's ability to set the depth chart at all the position. Josh McCown fights every bit as hard as Hack and Petty. Maybe even harder.  McCown is QB1 cause he's the best on the roster, just like how Fitz was the best on the roster last year. It's a low bar but Bowles can only work with the talent he is given. 

Put it another way hoping Hack is good and Hack actually being good are not related. 

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I guess that depends on what the NY Jets are actually TRYING to do this season...

They dumped aging veterans to let young guys play at every other freaking position, no?  They dump Harris, Marshall and Decker so that Davis, Enunwa and Anderson get more of a chance to develop...dump a 35 y.o. Fitz (who has no business being an NFL starter) yet then sign a 38 y.o. has been (who has no business being an NFL stater) to take reps from the 2 QBs you've drafted over the past 3 years.

Remove the younger guys veteran competition at all spots except for ... QB.

So NYJ.

Maybe they're unwilling to sacrifice the development of all these other young players on one of two young QBs who don't merit a roster spot?

16 minutes ago, pointman said:

Dozier just needs a few more years to spread his wings and fly and then you'll eat your words!!!!

The Jets are trying really really hard to improve the trade vale of Brent Qvale by starting him at RT in training camp . 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Exactly. Macc's two biggest mistakes were not trading Wilk or Richardson after he got Williams and drafting Lee. If your not gonna take a premium position in round 1 you to hit on a truly exceptional talent with the player you draft and right now Lee is barely average. 

His next big mistake will be when he signs Kap.  Our GM truly sucks that much.

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

No I want the fans to respect the coach's ability to set the depth chart at all the position. Josh McCown fights every bit as hard as Hack and Petty. Maybe even harder.  McCown is QB1 cause he's the best on the roster, just like how Fitz was the best on the roster last year. It's a low bar but Bowles can only work with the talent he is given. 

Put it another way hoping Hack is good and Hack actually being good are not related. 

And, I think we call all assume there's a curve in the grading.  If Hack is close to McCown, Hack will play.  But there isn't much to suggest this is the case at this point.

This was prior to signing McCown FYI 

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was viewed as a potential fit at quarterback for the Jets in the early parts of 2016.

Now, Kaepernick could very well be in line to be a member of the Jets in 2017.

With the Jets hiring former Saints wide receivers coach John Morton as their new offensive coordinator, Kaepernick now has ties to the quarterback-needy Jets.

Morton was the wide receivers coach with the 49ers from 2011-2014, which were coincidentally Kaepernick’s best years as a starting quarterback.

Morton’s background is as a wide receivers coach, so a good quarterback coach would have to be brought in to help Kaepernick fix his deficiencies as a passer.

With no other arms on the roster other than Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, the Jets are almost certain to add a QB. Whether it will be Kaepernick or not remains to be seen, but there is a connection there.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That's a ridiculous take imo.  We should just respect the coaches decisions as it pertains to the depth chart?  Why exactly?

Well Bowels has shown exactly nothing to command that kind of respect and acceptance. what he has shown is a propensity to stick with established vets - which is just him acting in his own self interest.  So you want us, AS FANS, to get on board with THAT?  To accept a defensive coach, looking to place a vet QB at the helm to not make mistakes, and keep games close, to try to win on defense like it is 1980. Just so he can improve on his own W/L record to keep his seat cool?  You want us to ignore the best interests of the team we root for long term and to choose to get behind the idea to NOT TRY to develop a QB for the future and settle for a mediocre backup. For what...because Todd Bowles wants that?  Sorry.  We aren't Fans of the New York Bowles.  We are Jets fans. We want to see progress at QB position. We want to see development.  We want to see a team with the potential to actually do something besides go 8-8.  And I don't mean squeak into the playoffs at 9-7 and go home early. No. Play Hack and Petty.  McCown is a break glass in case of emergency player.

And so what if McCown fights super hard to be mediocre. We should see that as a good thing? This guy is out there killing himself every down and he's still not good.  So let's reward that lack of talent and low ceiling because he's presently better than our other players.  I wonder if the Giants should have suffocated Eli for Kurt Warner.  Kurt was CLEARLY the better player, as Eli was hot garbage years 1-3.  There are plenty of similar examples. You have to have more than just short term vision towards the next practice or next opponent when it comes to roster decisions. Rolling with losers like Fitz and McCown because they are better right now is just accepting mediocrity. 

BTW what did Hack do to you? Bang your girlfriend? Every post I see with you is almost hard line hater material, essentially not even allowing for Hack to ever improve or become better than he is. The book isn't written on this kid at all. But if you don't play him, you won't ever know.

Finally, who is that guy in the avatar? That's one weird looking dude. Looks like one of those nick cage faces like in the memes. Was he a jets coach or something?  I don't recognize him.

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

no, I think it will take an injury.  But, Mac is just that stupid IMO

Taking anyone in a rebuilding year would be monumentally stupid. We have 3 QBs. Let them play. Let them wash out if that's what ends up happening. There is NO reason to bring in mediocre players you have no interest in keeping or developing just to raise the level of talent from bad to mediocre.  Raise talent levels throufgh the draft.  When you do that...then you can bring in some mediocre jags to fill roles to try to compete.

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Maybe they're unwilling to sacrifice the development of all these other young players on one of two young QBs who don't merit a roster spot?

You know, I understand your point of view...at least to some extent.  My point was always, and only, that the NYJ have once again, treated the QB position entirely different than every other position on the team by signing a 38 yo McCown who we all know is not a viable long-term solution and makes it entirely possible that this season is a rehash of last season where McCown wins a spare game or three worsening draft position and/or we don't get to evaluate Hack/Petty until they get thrown into the action when the team is already 6 games under .500 and has already mailed it in.  IMO, they NEVER should have signed McCown in the first place.

And, honestly, I have less problem with McCown starting the season than I do with the absolute idiocy of not giving the young QB's at least equal, if not more, of the reps in practice leading up to the season because neither of them is going to even have a shot of getting better in a new offensive system with limited reps.  The young guys don't get reps because they don't look 'as good' as the 15+ yr pro who's played in the system before?  Color me shocked!  And then you realize McCown's 38 and his winning percentage as a starter in the NFL is sub .200 and this is the guy they're giving practice reps to?

Only the Jets folks, only the Jets.

32 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And, I think we call all assume there's a curve in the grading.  If Hack is close to McCown, Hack will play.  But there isn't much to suggest this is the case at this point.

I guess, I'd ask what you consider close?  Hack hasn't thrown a pick yet. He will, but he hasn't yet. McCown has. He has also "completed" more "passes" in camp so far as well. McCown isn't going to go out there and play great.  He will go out there and be bad or just ok.  If you think he can go out there and actually raise the talent level of this team and play very well...fine. I get the argument then. But if we are just saying yeah they both suck...but McCown has more experience sucking....that is pointless.  Play the kid who MIGHT potentially one day improve.  Not the 38 year old guy who never will and is likely regressing more and more as time takes it's toll on him.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

You know, I understand your point of view...at least to some extent.  My point was always, and only, that the NYJ have once again, treated the QB position entirely different than every other position on the team by signing a 38 yo McCown who we all know is not a viable long-term solution and makes it entirely possible that this season is a rehash of last season where McCown wins a spare game or three worsening draft position and/or we don't get to evaluate Hack/Petty until they get thrown into the action when the team is already 6 games under .500 and has already mailed it in.  IMO, they NEVER should have signed McCown in the first place.

And, honestly, I have less problem with McCown starting the season than I do with the absolute idiocy of not giving the young QB's at least equal, if not more, of the reps in practice leading up to the season because neither of them is going to even have a shot of getting better in a new offensive system with limited reps.  The young guys don't get reps because they don't look 'as good' as the 15+ yr pro who's played in the system before?  Color me shocked!  And then you realize McCown's 38 and his winning percentage as a starter in the NFL is sub .200 and this is the guy they're giving practice reps to?

Yes. THIS.

Zero ability to see the forest for the trees.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

In all fairness to Mac, the one who claims to draft the BPA, his 3 drafts were not great on the QB, OT and Edge that the Jets needed, particularly where the Jets picked.

but given that, you build the team up in other ways, including trading down, to build a team that is competitive.

Macc's strategy appears to be bpa drafting plus roster rigidity plus bargain basement FA.  This Is not a well constructed team.  The entire front office is to blame. 

I don't agree with blaming the poor state of this team all Mac just yet. Thanks to idzik, he's been working with a bare cupboard, youth-wise. His only choice this year was to purge and rebuild through the draft. But, we all must be patient. It seems like most of you on this site simply don't want to be. This year, one of two things will happen QB wise. Either we have a quarterback in Hackenberg, or we will have a fantastic opportunity to pick a top quality quarterback next year. I think Costello is only trying to build up controversy where there really isn't one. the QB starter of this team will be rewarded to the one who earns it. if it's hack, It's hack .if it's McCown, it's McCown. if it's Petty,it's Petty.

heck we're only in the first week of TC! Case in point, Petty had more reps than Hack last night because hack stunk up the joint  for two days prior.

this is going to be a fun year because we will get to see which of them youngsters are true leaders. Screw the wins or losses.  The true success of this team this year will be based on how competitive our players will be. All I hope to see this year is a bunch of guys busting their butts play in, play out. but a lot of that will rest on the shoulders of Bowles.  If he can't coach them up then he'll be gone That's all.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sad is that we cant seem to establish the QB here via the draft or free agency. We settle for other teams castoffs or other teams old re-trades. Enough is enough already. 

We need to hire a GM who will trade the entire draft for a QB. 

Dallas found Prescott we have nothing at the position. 

The camp battle should be Petty and Hackenberg, McCown should be holding a clipboard and staying in shape if Petty and Hackenberg get injured or fail miserably. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Sad is that we cant seem to establish the QB here via the draft or free agency. We settle for other teams castoffs or other teams old re-trades. Enough is enough already. 

The camp battle should be Petty and Hackenberg, McCown should be holding a clipboard and staying in shape if Petty and Hackenberg get injured or fail miserably. 

Doesn't happen all that frequently, but I agree with you here ;)  Good post!

The only way McCown should see the field this season is if both Petty and Hack demonstrate they both suck....AFTER getting the reps and preseason game experience needed to make that assessment which McCown doesn't need.

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The only way McCown should see the field this season is if both Petty and Hack demonstrate they both suck....AFTER getting the reps and preseason game 

And that's not going to be exactly what happens?

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macagnan sucks.  He will be fired in January along with the empty suit head coach.  Worst regime since Kotite.

Archived