Jets rookie safety Marcus Maye has been one of the two best players in training camp

Marshmello

One of the few bright spots coming out of training camp so far.  Yes, I know we can question why did we draft two safeties in the first two rounds.  Can we at least give the Jets credit for drafting the right guys at that postion that have pro bowl potential for years to come.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-rookie-safety-marcus-maye-eye-opening-training-camp-article-1.3393782

Jets rookie safety Marcus Maye has been one of the two best players in training camp

The Jets hope Marcus Maye will remain a part of their backfield for a long time.

(ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)

The wow moment occurred at 3:28 p.m. last Tuesday with an ear-splitting thud that jolted Jets practice and prompted oohs and aahs from eyewitnesses.

A helmet went flying, the sideline erupted and the man who delivered the blow on poor tight end Jordan Leggett was amped like a grade schooler let out for recess.

Marcus Maye has been crushing folks since they finally let him ditch that damned red no-contact jersey from the spring, a rookie safety who looks, sounds and plays like a much older man.

"Everything was buckled," Maye told the Daily News with a laugh about whether his chin strap was firmly in place before unloading on Leggett. "I think it just popped off. I had to pick it up and put it back on."

Hackenberg not getting fair chance to win Jets QB 'competition'

He is a quiet storm, part-enforcer, part-menace, all-business.

He might just be the best player on the field not named Leonard Williams in the first week-and-a-half of training camp.

Maye is Jamal Adams' defensive backfield mate, but make no mistake: He is no Robin.

He could be a difference maker, too.

Jets WR Quincy Enunwa expected out for season with neck injury

Marcus Maye (right) works out with fellow safety Jamal Adams (top).

Marcus Maye (right) works out with fellow safety Jamal Adams (top).

(JULIO CORTEZ/AP)

"You can tell: He's a guy that's all about his business," cornerback Mo Claiborne said about the Jets second-round pick. "He's just aggressive and smart. You wouldn't expect the football smarts from him at this stage. But he's picking up the defense well and going out and making plays."

Maye has been everywhere in camp, opening eyes with his brand of physical play near the line of scrimmage and roaming prowess far from it. If you didn't know better, you'd think there were two of him out there. Or three. Or four.

It figures that a guy who grew up "watching a ton of Ed Reed" has a knack for being around the ball. There was a stretch last week when Maye was in position for an interception seemingly every practice.

Maybe he can dial up Lester Hayes for some Stickum after letting a few sure-fire picks off his hands, but his ability to even be in position to create turnovers speaks to an innate skill that will serve him well at this level. He's getting better each day predicting how plays will develop.

Sheldon Richardson said ‘drama-queenish' Brandon Marshall quit

His 60-yard pick-six highlighted the team's intrasquad scrimmage last weekend.

"It's instinctive," Maye said of always being around the ball. "You can't coach effort. It has to come from within. (Defensive backs) coach (Dennard) Wilson preaches that every day. He's not here to coach effort. He's here to get us better. So, that has to come from within yourself. It's just been an instinct that I've had since I was young playing the game: See ball. Get ball."

Maye's versatility as an interchangeable safety is an immediate upgrade for the Jets, who struggled at that position with Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist last season.

"You got to be able to hit somebody coming across the middle or along the sideline. You got to step up in the hole," said Maye, who was limited in the spring while rehabbing a broken arm suffered at Florida. "When you're back deep, you got to be able to go sideline to sideline and get interceptions. I feel like with the ability that we have in our secondary, it allows us to play deep or play in the box."

Elijah McGuire almost left sports after father's death

Maye's skill set in the deep middle of the field will be a welcome change from last season when Pryor simply didn't have the speed to effectively roam that area.

"A coach can tell you what the coverage is, but (Maye) is not being a robot," Adams said. "He's definitely a ball hawk on the field."

While it's impossible for five minutes to pass without hearing Adams' voice every day before, during or after practice, Maye isn't exactly a chatterbox. He communicates with teammates between the lines to make sure everyone is on the same wavelength, but the decibel level doesn't spike too much otherwise.

"How do I describe Marcus?" said Adams, who is roommates with Maye. "Marcus is a guy that is really mellow at times. On the field, he's full throttle. Off the field, he's real laid back. He says a little bit, but you won't get too much out of him."

Christian Hackenberg shines in Jets’ Green and White scrimmage

Maye and Adams have embraced leading the way during the organization's culture change. Although Adams admits that "we have a tremendous opportunity" to start from Day One, the duo doesn't have delusions of grandeur. They're fulling aware that growing pains are inevitable during their rookie seasons.

"There's always ups and downs," Maye said. "Everything is not always going to easy. … It's just going to be about how you bounce back."

He's already been chewed out by coaches like every rookie. He's kept his mouth shut and made sure not to make the same mistake twice.

"As soon as those lights come on," Maye said, "I'm full force."

Jets WR Quincy Enunwa suffers neck injury during practice

He's going to be a problem for a very long time.

3 stars from Day 9 of Jets Camp, including Marcus Maye

Marcus Maye jogs as the New York Jets hold their training camp. 8/3/17 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Marcus Maye jogs as the New York Jets hold their training camp. 8/3/17 Florham Park, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- It was a running joke once the Jets turned in their draft card on April 28. 

With a roster littered with holes, how could general manager Mike Maccagnan use each of his first two picks on the same position? One safety, fine. But two? Madness. 

Through nine training camp practices, the back-to-back moves don't seem so asinine. If Tuesday' workout is any indication, it was brilliant. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye were tremendous. 

Here are the three stars from Day 9 of Jets camp. 

JAMAL ADAMS, safety: Adams isn't fully recovered from his sprained ankle, but he's getting there. On Tuesday, he started making plays again in limited full-team reps. He had two would-be sacks on blitzes. He perfectly read the protection, maneuvered around blockers, and got to quarterback Josh McCown right as he was about to throw the ball. 

McCown did get the passes off, but keep in mind, quarterbacks can't get hit in practice. If this was a game, I find it hard to believe Adams wouldn't have made both plays. 

MARCUS MAYE, safety: Maye has been a monster ever since the Jets put on the pads last week. He first stood out with big hits. Now, he's showing tremendous ball-hawking tendencies. Maye had a pick-six on a Christian Hackenberg pass -- his second in four days -- and another near pick in receiver-defensive back drills. It's early, but both he and Adams look like the real deal. 

ROBBY ANDERSON, receiver: To say Anderson struggled in the Jets' first eight practices would be an understatement. The second-year wideout couldn't get off the press, and dropped more than his share of catchable passes. On Tuesday, though, Anderson was tremendous. 

He beat top cornerback Morris Claiborne three times in receiver-cornerback drills. It got to the point secondary coach Dennard Wilson was yelling compliments. In team drills, he smoked Juston Burris on a go route for an 80-yard touchdown. Christian Hackenberg threw the bomb. 

With Quincy Enunwa done for the year, the Jets desperately need Anderson to step up. Tuesday, he looked up for the task. Will it continue?

Great news. Part of what I was talking about in a previous thread, really looking forward to seeing these guys play...I wonder if any of the genius reporters will ask Marcus Maye if HE is tanking the season. MM sounds to me like the prototypical hard a$$ed NFL ball player, all business, no nonsense, and would never EVER quit or lose on purpose. God I hate this tanking BS talk.

So far, so good. But, there's going to be growing pains both Adams and Maye are rookies after all.

The Maye pick to me tells me that Maccagnan has not only the acumen to spot talent but also the stones to stick to his guns. I think he had Maye penciled in as his #2 pick even before the draft started. He must have scouted him quite  extensively. So although Adams literally fell on him lap @ 1, he still went ahead and selected Maye at #2.

May they both stay healthy for many, many years.

In a season of problems our dynamic duo of safety's are not likely to be one of them.

Health permitted (*knocks on wood*) Maye is primed to break the mold of all our less than successful second round picks. For all our complaining I think Mac got real winners with these two.

23 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Great news. Part of what I was talking about in a previous thread, really looking forward to seeing these guys play...I wonder if any of the genius reporters will ask Marcus Maye if HE is tanking the season. MM sounds to me like the prototypical hard a$$ed NFL ball player, all business, no nonsense, and would never EVER quit or lose on purpose. God I hate this tanking BS talk.

Players don't tank.  No professional athlete is going to lose on purpose.  All the tank talk is because the team is devoid of talent at the four premium positions, QB, LT, PR, and CB.

I am grateful for Maye if for nothing else, he is the first starter that we have drafted in the second round, in ten years.  But regardless of how well Leo, Adams, and Maye are, unless Hackenberg turns in Roethlisberger and Anderson turns into Antonio Bryant, the offense is going to be so bad that it will be difficult, if not impossible to win games.  

51 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Players don't tank.  No professional athlete is going to lose on purpose.  All the tank talk is because the team is devoid of talent at the four premium positions, QB, LT, PR, and CB.

I am grateful for Maye if for nothing else, he is the first starter that we have drafted in the second round, in ten years.  But regardless of how well Leo, Adams, and Maye are, unless Hackenberg turns in Roethlisberger and Anderson turns into Antonio Bryant, the offense is going to be so bad that it will be difficult, if not impossible to win games.  

Did Antonio Brown and Dez Bryant have a love child?

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Players don't tank.  No one would ever argue otherwise.  

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This was an excellent draft. Adams and Maye both look like immediate impact contributors. Donahue, Legget, and McGuire all look like they will contribute early and often.

Its usually best to judge a draft after at least three years and its certainly too early to make any kind of call with this year's class, but things do look VERY encouraging to start with.

McGuire is the most surprising to me, but we'll have to see if he provides any production when the real s#it starts.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

Its usually best to judge a draft after at least three years and its certainly too early to make any kind of call with this year's class, but things do look VERY encouraging to start with.

McGuire is the most surprising to me, but we'll have to see if he provides any production when the real s#it starts.

Read somewhere he played a lot last season on a bumb ankle/foot. May have caused him to drop. What I liked about him he can catch out of the backfield and didn't fumble much

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

I'd add the tank bs talk is because most of the 'names' have been released. Most non-true jets fans don't know who Wesley Johnson is or Justin Burris or Charone Peake.  

Of those released two are still without jobs. Of those released how many really made positive contributions last yr?  And some were the cause of the crap and the others, the so called 'leaders', obviously didn't step up. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Thats not saying much for the NY Jets out of 90 players only 2 good ones 

Tanner Purdam

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Players don't tank? Did you watch this team last season? They gave up after the Baltimore game.

9 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Players don't tank? Did you watch this team last season? They gave up after the Baltimore game.

They didn't do it to get the team a high draft pick though. They did it because they gave up.

Quitting and tanking are different things.

12 hours ago, nycdan said:

Did Antonio Brown and Dez Bryant have a love child?

Hahaha!  I can only say the due to PTSD from being a Jets fan for 40 years has taken its toll.  Steelers have Brown and Bryant, maybe Anderson needs to be both.  ?

On 8/8/2017 at 7:03 PM, joewilly12 said:

Thats not saying much for the NY Jets out of 90 players only 2 good ones 

Really? That's how you interpreted the headline? 

On 8/8/2017 at 7:41 PM, Drums said:

Seems like everyone talked about Adams until he hurt his ankle and then Maye really shined.  Now they're both out there and they're also roommates at camp?  Hell yeah!

Not just roommates!

Adams and Maye are roommates for training camp, and have a friendship that goes back several years. Maye tried to recruit Adams to Florida. Adams chose LSU instead, but the two remained close and were thrilled to get the chance to play together in the NFL. 

They never thought in their wildest dreams they would ever play together although they did want to through college.  There could be something special if they both live up to their potential.

Archived