Camp Updates Wed 8/9

Maxman

If Petty gets enough preseason reps with the 1s and 2s..  he might just earn the starting gig.  And if the CS gives it to one of the others anyway, the Jets will have a mutiny in the locker room.

A few fans at these practices seem to think Petty has some players in his corner already.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big positives im kinda reading about is that hack is getting better. I am sure he can easily hit the ocean now. Seriously, he's improving.

petty is also doing ok and it seems like they are both closing in on mcclown.

if mcclown starts, coach stimey need to go

Jets play of the day: It was an uneven day for QB Christian Hackenberg, but he made one throw that illustrated an improved passing touch. He hit Robby Anderson on a sideline fade route, about 25 yards, dropping the ball in the bucket, just beyond the reach of CB Juston Burris. Hackenberg can deliver a fastball; this showed he has a change up in his repertoire.

cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets rookie report: RB Elijah McGuire rebounded from a shaky day with a solid practice, especially in the passing game. With Matt Forte and Bilal Powell injured, McGuire got a good run with the starting unit. He's not dazzling, but he kind of grows on you. WR Chad Hansen, having a quiet camp, made two receptions in team drills. TE Jordan Leggett  (6'5"  236lbs.) got outmuscled for a pass by CB Dex McDougle (5'11"  194lbs.), :blink:resulting in an interception. He needs to be a little more aggressive with the ball in the air.

Overheard at Jets camp: Don't tell NT Steve McLendon about the low outside expectations. "We want to bring a championship here," said McLendon, who has emerged as a team leader. "The last time we've seen a championship here was '68. We had those guys in '68, they put something up that hasn't been done -- and that's all we're trying to do."

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

Hack Progress:  Completed 60% of his passes to his own team.  I actually think its good.  I think one interception was the TE's fault.

The other was in a 2 minute drill situation where he probably forced a pass he might not have in a normal game situation, but he has to take care of the ball in all situations hopefully he learns from his practice mistakes.

Again thanks for the tweets.Much appreciated.

Might be coming together well for Petty. An offense that fits him better than previous. Some starting experience in the bank. Chemistry with team mates.

I seriously thought he might get traded during this camp but IMO we're seeing enough to suggest he might be our best.

1) Petty 2) Hack 3) McCown would be ok with me as a line up so far.

Haven't been looking forward to pre season games so much as now that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets practice ends with Christian Hackenberg's second interception. This was a missed opportunity for Hackenberg, who got the majority of the first-team reps for the first time in camp -- an indication he will play a lot in the preseason opener. He completed 12 of 20 with two TDs and two picks. Bryce Petty (8-for-12) had a solid day, with two TDs. Josh McCown (4-for-5) didn't see much action, probably a sign he won't play much Saturday night. Does anybody want this job?

Jets injury report: Nothing much has changed. RBs Matt Forte (hamstring) and Bilal Powell (neck) remained on the sideline. It's unlikely they will play on Saturday night against the Titans. LB Lorenzo Mauldin (back) also sat out. LB Frank Beltre, who has flashed at times, sat out after injuring his groin yesterday.

Wouldn't it be funny if our coach actually seen enough of McCown, and realized he is as bad as his 2-22 record the last 3 seasons, and has officially started a 2 man QB competition between Petty, and Hack.

Now back to reality it was probably more of a Vet rest day for Bowles predetermined week 1 starting QB in this staged "QB Competition".

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Every day I read these tweets, and every day it seems like Hack and McCown are ******* up... while Petty quiety makes big plays. I might be wrong. Just the impression I'm left with.

Seems to me that most of Petty's big plays have come in 1 on 1s or 7 on 7s, not 11 on 11s - which, granted, is on the coaches' rotations. I'm on the anybody but McCown train, so whatever happens, happens. I'm instinctually drawn to Hackenberg because of the abundance of Jet fans here who tell me that there's no way in hell the guy could ever be a starting QB in this league, but I'll happily watch Petty steal the job in the preseason. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Seems to me that most of Petty's big plays have come in 1 on 1s or 7 on 7s, not 11 on 11s - which, granted, is on the coaches' rotations. I'm on the anybody but McCown train, so whatever happens, happens. I'm instinctually drawn to Hackenberg because of the abundance of Jet fans here who tell me that there's no way in hell the guy could ever be a starting QB in this league, but I'll happily watch Petty steal the job in the preseason. 

Petty's best work came yesterday in 11 on 11's during two minute drill when he went 5-5 with a deep TD pass.

Today some of his best work was also 11 on 11's.

20 minutes ago, slats said:

I am rooting for Hackenberg because I think he could be a franchise QB. I fully admit there is a chance that he could also be a guy that never starts a single game in the NFL lol.  But I think the upside is bigger with Hack than Petty.

That said, if Petty wins it, give him the job. I never understood people who root against one player over another. If Petty can be the guy then let's go. My opinion is that he won't be but since I am not making 7 figures a year as an NFL talent evaluator I won't be hurt if Petty plays well!

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am rooting for Hackenberg because I think he could be a franchise QB. I fully admit there is a chance that he could also be a guy that never starts a single game in the NFL lol.  But I think the upside is bigger with Hack than Petty.

That said, if Petty wins it, give him the job. I never understood people who root against one player over another. If Petty can be the guy then let's go. My opinion is that he won't be but since I am not making 7 figures a year as an NFL talent evaluator I won't be hurt if Petty plays well!

This is one of the most definitively spineless position statements I've ever read.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Max, all joking aside, I think Hack winds up as one of our biggest busts ever.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is one of the most definitively spineless position statements I've ever read.

I can understand why you feel that way, because I actually root for and want the Jets to win.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Max, all joking aside, I think Hack winds up as one of our biggest busts ever.  

He was taken in the 2nd round so if he never plays he probably can't even break into the top 20 of busts.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

He was taken in the 2nd round so if he never plays he probably can't even break into the top 20 of busts.

Guess technically you're correct.  This franchise has had its fill; of first round turds.  But Mcc's decision to pick Hack in the second round should end his tenure as GM.  Dumb move all around.  

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I can understand why you feel that way, because I actually root for and want the Jets to win.

jr smith poster dunk.gif

Well Bryce has something going for him...he had great chemistry with Anderson last year who happens to be our #1(by default) ... unfortunately he really didn't have much chemistry with anyone else.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Guess technically you're correct.  This franchise has had its fill; of first round turds.  But Mcc's decision to pick Hack in the second round should end his tenure as GM.  Dumb move all around.  

This is the disturbing thing about the Hack pick: literally everyone who's ever watched Hackenberg play--except for the GM of the New York Jets--thought he was a lost cause.

49 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Wouldn't it be funny if our coach actually seen enough of McCown, and realized he is as bad as his 2-22 record the last 3 seasons, and has officially started a 2 man QB competition between Petty, and Hack.

Now back to reality it was probably more of a Vet rest day for Bowles predetermined week 1 starting QB in this staged "QB Competition".

That would actually get me excited about Bowles haha.  That second statement seems depressingly true.  

45 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

And if Hack turns into a serviceable NFL QB would you still feel the same. 

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the disturbing thing about the Hack pick: literally everyone who's ever watched Hackenberg play--except for the GM of the New York Jets--thought he was a lost cause.

How many people gave Dak Prescott a chance of being a starting NFL QB ?? Goes to show , that experts and Jet board know it alls aren't always right.

51 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Enthusiasm =/= equate success.

Case in point: Tony Sparano's love of field goals, and Rex Ryan's love of snacks.

The day that Sparano or Rex show the focus, discipline, plan and Success that Greene has achieved will be their first day!!

Oh and since Greene was a SB winning defensive coach with the Packers; I'm not quite sure what you are implying that Greene was /or is all talk and no action (success).

I simply don't believe that these gentlemen's careers or character as human beings is even remotely comparable...

Jets fans will knock anything...

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bullsh*t

"He has prototypical size and arm talent. However, the tape is wildly inconsistent and he's a wild card. I hope the Jets give him time to develop." -- Mike Mayock

SELECTED BY: Jets

ROUND: 2

PICK (OVERALL): 20 (51)

PICK ANALYSIS:

"He has prototypical size and arm talent. However, the tape is wildly inconsistent and he's a wild card. I hope the Jets give him time to develop." -- Mike Mayock

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The day that Sparano or Rex show the focus, discipline, plan and Success that Greene has achieved will be their first day!!

Oh and since Greene was a SB winning defensive coach with the Packers; I'm not quite sure what you are implying that Greene was /or is all talk and no action (success).

I simply don't believe that these gentlemen's careers or character as human beings is even remotely comparable...

Jets fans will knock anything...

I just prefer to wait to see what kind of improvement and impact our LBs have this season, rather than getting excited that Greene gets excited when his players lay out a big hit... in practice.

I wish I could share your optimism, but hasn't Lucy already taught you that football always inevitably ends in pain and disaster?

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just means a bigger list of losers when he wins Super Bowl MVP

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

And other who make their determinations from meaningless tweets. 

ME [stupid, snacking on asbestos chips, has never even heard of "football"]: boy I wish Hackenberg's completion percentage was better

YOU [wise, knowing, understands football]: waht about Hack's completion percentage when he was prosecuting the Sandusky case

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Except Gruden who thought he was a 1st round talent

2 hours ago, slats said:

I've noticed this too and also completely agree with you.

I know Petty has had a couple good days and he can't control the reps he gets and has to make the best of it but I want him to do more with the reps he gets with the 1s.  Its great he is looking good with the 3s.  Hopefully he takes these good days right into preseason and forces more 1st team reps.

Archived