Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Reputation \ Reactions

Reputation System (Likes vs Reactions)  

59 members have voted

  1. 1. Let us know what you prefer. The old reputation + / - system or the new like buttons (reactions)?

    • Like + / -
      31
    • Reaction (emojis)
      28


Recommended Posts

Warfish    16,601

I like having +/- Rep counted, gives a good metric for how we (as a community) feel about a posters contributions.

As to what mechanic creates those +/- reps......don't care.  I'm simple, so always like the simple +rep and -rep, but really kids love their pretty emojis, so why not give them that option.

As long as the various Emojis translate to +1 Rep and -1 Rep is a somewhat clear way, I'm all good.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
JETSfaninNE    1,673

I picked reactions since the Like/upvote is there with added emojis for those posts where I don't want to dislike but I want to show my confused or sad state of mind!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JETSfaninNE    1,673
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I like having +/- Rep counted, gives a good metric for how we (as a community) feel about a posters contributions.

As to what mechanic creates those +/- reps......don't care.  I'm simple, so always like the simple +rep and -rep, but really kids love their pretty emojis, so why not give them that option.

As long as the various Emojis translate to +1 Rep and -1 Rep is a somewhat clear way, I'm all good.

I never understood this rep thing as a metric for anything when people rep their own posts to inflate the counter lol.  Whats most important is highlighting the best posts in each topic/thread imo.  In that regard the rep/like/upvote is still there and it looks like it bases these popular votes off of total amount of like/upvote/emoji used, so it works for me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
9 hours ago, JiF said:

Let's go old school and bring commentary on rep back!!!!!

Agreed - this was my favorite feature back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I never understood this rep thing as a metric for anything when people rep their own posts to inflate the counter lol.  Whats most important is highlighting the best posts in each topic/thread imo.  In that regard the rep/like/upvote is still there and it looks like it bases these popular votes off of total amount of like/upvote/emoji used, so it works for me!

Rep, to me, is an a way of giving a subtle nod. I use it for content that I find funny, intelligent, helpful and/or well executed (in terms of being provocative).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I like having +/- Rep counted, gives a good metric for how we (as a community) feel about a posters contributions.

As to what mechanic creates those +/- reps......don't care.  I'm simple, so always like the simple +rep and -rep, but really kids love their pretty emojis, so why not give them that option.

As long as the various Emojis translate to +1 Rep and -1 Rep is a somewhat clear way, I'm all good.

This. Also, don't make the steps involved in giving rep complicated. I like that you can just click the green heart for a +1, or hover for a more specific emoji. I don't like that the -1 is mixed in there. It should be separate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JETSfaninNE    1,673
2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Rep, to me, is an a way of giving a subtle nod. I use it for content that I find funny, intelligent, helpful and/or well executed (in terms of being provocative).

I use it the same way but don't feel the new reaction system stops that use.  I honestly don't really look at global counters and just appreciate seeing the upvote/like of who enjoyed my post.  Still works the same for me already honestly, I've just been using the upvote button reacting for the most part.  I really need to find that special post to use the Butt Fumble on.  There is no way we can go back to a time before having a Butt Fumble reaction.  It will get heavy use throughout the season!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T0mShane    90,835
1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I would suggest that with each neg rep your typeset gets smaller.

Some real world incentive would really improve the discourse around here. 

Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow. 

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maxman    519,255
2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I use it the same way but don't feel the new reaction system stops that use.  I honestly don't really look at global counters and just appreciate seeing the upvote/like of who enjoyed my post.  Still works the same for me already honestly, I've just been using the upvote button reacting for the most part.  I really need to find that special post to use the Butt Fumble on.  There is no way we can go back to a time before having a Butt Fumble reaction.  It will get heavy use throughout the season!

I kind of agree. I don't know how there was ever a time that we lived without the butt fumble. I think it will be like evolution and future generations of Jets fans won't know how to breath withouth the butt fumble emoji.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I kind of agree. I don't know how there was ever a time that we lived without the butt fumble. I think it will be like evolution and future generations of Jets fans won't know how to breath withouth the butt fumble emoji.

I watched some of the Bears pre-season game last night... and everything Sanchez does is laughable to me now. Like every, single mannerism just makes me laugh at him. All because of the butt fumble.

  • Butt Fumble 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maxman    519,255
Just now, Integrity28 said:

I watched some of the Bears pre-season game last night... and everything Sanchez does is laughable to me now. Like every, single mannerism just makes me laugh at him. All because of the butt fumble.

Damn I just gave you the butt fumble emoji. But I meant it is a positive not a negative lol.

Maybe we need two? 

Tom Brady is looking old. {Insert Positive Butt Fumble Smiley Here } lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Damn I just gave you the butt fumble emoji. But I meant it is a positive not a negative lol.

Maybe we need two? 

Tom Brady is looking old. {Insert Positive Butt Fumble Smiley Here } lol.

I'll live. :)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maxman    519,255
12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. Also, don't make the steps involved in giving rep complicated. I like that you can just click the green heart for a +1, or hover for a more specific emoji. I don't like that the -1 is mixed in there. It should be separate.

It should show if it is positive or negative. I will have to look into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kelly    1,784
10 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Please love me Tom Shane

..me too !   :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bleedin Green    73,955

I ain't in favor of them funny looking emotional pictures all those damn whippersnappers are using these days.

Back in my day, it was a simpler time.  If you had an opinion to share, you did it the right way: with an excruciatingly long post that people had to truly commit to reading!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jgb    11,232
30 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I ain't in favor of them funny looking emotional pictures all those damn whippersnappers are using these days.

Back in my day, it was a simpler time.  If you had an opinion to share, you did it the right way: with an excruciatingly long post that people had to truly commit to reading!

cruel and unusual punishment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jetscode1    10,082
13 hours ago, Maxman said:

As I mentioned in the other thread we just upgraded the site to IPB 4.2 and we are currently working on the theme. There are many new benefits but for now:

1) Thanks for your patience while we create the theme (paint the walls) 

-and-

2) Let us know what you prefer. The old reputation + / - system or the new like buttons (reactions). We can go with either system, just vote and tell us what you want.

Thanks.

Do we still get notifications when someone "reacts" to a post?  The old reputation system only notified someone when it was positive "repped" and failed to notify when you pissed someone off and they negative "repped".  You will get more reactions/posts when you let people know they earned a negative reaction.  Just saying...

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoot-Face    3,654
4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Rule of thumb. If you're not laughing then they're not laughing with you. 

Thank you for that serious answer to my totally serious question.

And, FYI, I always laugh at my own jokes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bleedin Green    73,955
6 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Do we still get notifications when someone "reacts" to a post?  The old reputation system only notified someone when it was positive "repped" and failed to notify when you pissed someone off and they negative "repped".  You will get more reactions/posts when you let people know they earned a negative reaction.  Just saying...

Easy way to find out.  I just negged you... you get a notification? :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jetscode1    10,082
1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Easy way to find out.  I just negged you... you get a notification? :D

lol...nope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jetscode1    10,082
2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Easy way to find out.  I just negged you... you get a notification? :D

Actually I did.  Just not in the same way as previously.  I mean it did not highlight as in you got a notification but it was there in the message folder.  Nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bleedin Green    73,955
4 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Actually I did.  Just not in the same way as previously.  I mean it did not highlight as in you got a notification but it was there in the message folder.  Nice

Glad I could help.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jetfan39    338
20 hours ago, Maxman said:

As I mentioned in the other thread we just upgraded the site to IPB 4.2 and we are currently working on the theme. There are many new benefits but for now:

1) Thanks for your patience while we create the theme (paint the walls) 

-and-

2) Let us know what you prefer. The old reputation + / - system or the new like buttons (reactions). We can go with either system, just vote and tell us what you want.

Thanks.

should this be pinned at the top so it would not get lost omoung the football threads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Larz    59,404

Can you add a gif bar of massive dunks and body slams?

Would make giving Tom facials a lot easier

  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gEYno    247,970

I think the emoji's just clutter the page, especially on mobile, where space is already limited.  The +/- is cleaner.

  • Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maxman    519,255

I kind of prefer the Emojis. Makes me feel young and hip.

  • Haha 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jgb    11,232
32 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think the emoji's just clutter the page, especially on mobile, where space is already limited.  The +/- is cleaner.

You just got butt fumbled for this sacrilege!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Integrity28    60,535
2 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

should this be pinned at the top so it would not get lost omoung the football threads?

Good idea... because tomorrow when we suck as much as we're supposed to... the usual parties are still going to short-circuit all over the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dcat    2,951
21 hours ago, Maxman said:

So I just figured this out but you can have neutral rep (Confused and Sad). The others are all either + or -.

Rep.PNG

overkill. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×