Sign in to follow this  
joewilly12

Ex-Jet wants to market pot-derived painkillers at youth football games

Ex-Jet wants to market pot-derived painkillers at youth football games

August 11, 2017 | 10:05pm | Updated 

A former New York Jet is kicking up a cloud of controversy with a plan to market marijuana-derived products at Pop Warner youth football games.

rnfl_marijuana_football_147497444.jpg?qua
Marvin WashingtonAP

Marvin Washington, who played 11 seasons in the NFL — including eight years with the Jets — is the managing partner of Isodiol, a company that extracts a little-known chemical from cannabis plants to make painkillers.

Unlike its more famous counterpart THC, the active ingredient cannabidiol, also known as CBD, doesn’t get you high. Instead, Isodiol claims CBD, which is legal in many states, can safely be used as an anti-inflammatory, a pain reliever, an aid to muscle recovery and a neuro-protector for the brain.

That goes for kids who get knocked around playing football, too, according to Washington.

“My CBD can be taken by a 7-year-old football player or a 27-year-old professional,” Washington, a 6-foot-6, 285-pound former defensive lineman, told The Post.

Nevertheless, CBD is getting a tough reception, even in the NFL, whose commissioner Roger Goodell still has yet to permit the use of any cannabis-derived product for any reason. Plenty of medical experts are skeptical, too.

“There is no data to support marijuana or cannabidiol having a role in protecting the brain from any kind of injury or in any kind of muscle recovery,” Dr. Sheryl Ryan, a Yale University professor of pediatrics, told The Post. “There is no science whatsoever to support that.”

Any claim to the contrary, Ryan added, “ is outrageous.”

Washington plans to make his case directly to parents at youth football games this fall, handing out samples of Isodiol’s line of topical creams, sprays, droplets and powders. Possible stops on the “educational” tour will include Florida, Texas and California, Washington said.

The idea is “getting the product in parents hands, as they begin to use it and experience the results,” said Troy Nihart, Isodiol’s president.

Washington’s planned tour of Pop Warner games is news to the kids league — which is dead-set against the idea. A spokesman stressed the fact that there have been no discussions between Washington and Pop Warner, much less an agreement.

“No one at Pop Warner has had anything to do with this and certainly doesn’t approve it,” the spokesman said, noting that “only Pop Warner-approved vendors and vendors with municipal permits may attend [league] events.”

One of the products Isodiol will promote at the games will be CBD-infused water, but the league spokesperson said, “Pop Warner participants are not to be offered anything ingestible, other than from a parent or an approved vendor.”

Parents of league players, the spokesman added, “can be assured that we won’t allow anyone to promote marijuana-based products to kids anywhere in Pop Warner. That’s a bad idea on every level.”

The league is expected to reach out to Washington to make its point crystal clear.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

CBD is the proper term. CBD is the part of the plant that is completely non pscyho-active. It is legal everywhere in the USA.

I have given CBD dog treats to my dog. I have used it for aches and pains, to mixed results.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with giving any human CBD.

The bias against all things marijuana is mostly unfounded and goes back to William Randolph Hearst.

DC

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I like how he refers to it as my cbd. Can we please see what or any side effects there are before we give it to children or anyone for that matter?

There is an actual difference when talking about Cannibinoids.    

Quick Educational lesson:

What is a Cannabinoid?

There are over 480 natural components found within the Cannabis sativa plant, of which 66 have been classified as "cannabinoids;" chemicals unique to the plant. The most well known and researched of these, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), is the substance primarily responsible for the psychoactive effects of cannabis.

The effects of THC are believed to be moderated by the influence of the other components of the plant, most particularly the cannabinoids.

The cannabinoids are separated into subclasses. These are as follows:

Cannabigerols (CBG);
Cannabichromenes (CBC);
Cannabidiols (CBD);
Tetrahydrocannabinols (THC);
Cannabinol (CBN) and cannabinodiol (CBDL);
Other cannabinoids (such as cannabicyclol (CBL), cannabielsoin (CBE), cannabitriol (CBT) and other miscellaneous types).

What Do Cannabinoids Do?

Like opiates (substances derived from the opium poppy such as heroin), cannabinoids affect the user by interacting with specific receptors, located within different parts of the central nervous system. Two kinds of cannabinoid receptors have been found to date and are termed CB1 and CB2. A substance that occurs naturally within the brain and binds to CB1 receptors was discovered in 1992 and termed "anandamide." Additional naturally occurring substances that bind to CB1 have since been discovered, and these, together with the receptors are termed the "endogenous cannabinoid system."

The actual effects that the cannabinoids have reflect the areas of the brain they interact with. Interactions tend to occur in our limbic system (the part of the brain that affects memory, cognition and psychomotor performance) and mesolimbic pathway (activity in this region is associated with feelings of reward) and are also widely distributed in areas of pain perception.

We are still learning about the endogenous cannabinoid system. Much of the research however, has focused on the many potential medical uses of man-made cannabinoids, called "synthetic analogues."

What is the Difference Between Cannabinoids?

The major differences between the cannabinoids are determined by the extent to which they are psychologically active. Three classes of cannabinoids, the CBG, CBC and CBD are not known to have such an effect. THC, CBN, CBDL and some other cannabinoids on the other hand are known to be psychologically active to varying degrees.

CBD is probably the most abundant cannabinoid, contributing up to 40% of cannabis resin. Interestingly, CBD may actually have anti-anxiety effects and lessen the psychoactive effects of THC. This means that a plant with a greater percentage of CBD may reduce the intensity of the effects of the THC, which in effect lowers the potency of the plant. Use of a cannabis plant with less CBD has been shown to have an increased psychological impact and result in unwanted effects such as anxiety.

When THC is exposed to air it oxidizes and forms CBN. CBN is only very weakly psychoactive and not unlike CBD interacts with THC to reduce its effects. This is why cannabis that has been left out unused will have increasing amounts of CBN and decreasing amounts of THC and thus lose potency.

---------------------------------------

Now not that I agree that he should be marketing or allowed to distribute to children but there are definitely amazing medical results using CBDs at different levels.  More research is definitely needed but in order to get there we still need to remove the stigma that this natural plant is somehow an evil gateway drug to heroin overdoses when its really nowhere near that.

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

CBD is the proper term. CBD is the part of the plant that is completely non pscyho-active. It is legal everywhere in the USA.

I have given CBD dog treats to my dog. I have used it for aches and pains, to mixed results.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with giving any human CBD.

The bias against all things marijuana is mostly unfounded and goes back to William Randolph Hearst.

DC

CBD is very hot right now.  I am currently working with a client in Japan who wants to develop CBD based products across several different categories.  Per the multiple MFDS reports I have received for raw materials, there is 0% THC content in all of them.

5 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

There is an actual difference when talking about Cannibinoids.    

Quick Educational lesson:

What is a Cannabinoid?

There are over 480 natural components found within the Cannabis sativa plant, of which 66 have been classified as "cannabinoids;" chemicals unique to the plant. The most well known and researched of these, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC), is the substance primarily responsible for the psychoactive effects of cannabis.

The effects of THC are believed to be moderated by the influence of the other components of the plant, most particularly the cannabinoids.

The cannabinoids are separated into subclasses. These are as follows:

Cannabigerols (CBG);
Cannabichromenes (CBC);
Cannabidiols (CBD);
Tetrahydrocannabinols (THC);
Cannabinol (CBN) and cannabinodiol (CBDL);
Other cannabinoids (such as cannabicyclol (CBL), cannabielsoin (CBE), cannabitriol (CBT) and other miscellaneous types).

What Do Cannabinoids Do?

Like opiates (substances derived from the opium poppy such as heroin), cannabinoids affect the user by interacting with specific receptors, located within different parts of the central nervous system. Two kinds of cannabinoid receptors have been found to date and are termed CB1 and CB2. A substance that occurs naturally within the brain and binds to CB1 receptors was discovered in 1992 and termed "anandamide." Additional naturally occurring substances that bind to CB1 have since been discovered, and these, together with the receptors are termed the "endogenous cannabinoid system."

The actual effects that the cannabinoids have reflect the areas of the brain they interact with. Interactions tend to occur in our limbic system (the part of the brain that affects memory, cognition and psychomotor performance) and mesolimbic pathway (activity in this region is associated with feelings of reward) and are also widely distributed in areas of pain perception.

We are still learning about the endogenous cannabinoid system. Much of the research however, has focused on the many potential medical uses of man-made cannabinoids, called "synthetic analogues."

What is the Difference Between Cannabinoids?

The major differences between the cannabinoids are determined by the extent to which they are psychologically active. Three classes of cannabinoids, the CBG, CBC and CBD are not known to have such an effect. THC, CBN, CBDL and some other cannabinoids on the other hand are known to be psychologically active to varying degrees.

CBD is probably the most abundant cannabinoid, contributing up to 40% of cannabis resin. Interestingly, CBD may actually have anti-anxiety effects and lessen the psychoactive effects of THC. This means that a plant with a greater percentage of CBD may reduce the intensity of the effects of the THC, which in effect lowers the potency of the plant. Use of a cannabis plant with less CBD has been shown to have an increased psychological impact and result in unwanted effects such as anxiety.

When THC is exposed to air it oxidizes and forms CBN. CBN is only very weakly psychoactive and not unlike CBD interacts with THC to reduce its effects. This is why cannabis that has been left out unused will have increasing amounts of CBN and decreasing amounts of THC and thus lose potency.

---------------------------------------

Now not that I agree that he should be marketing or allowed to distribute to children but there are definitely amazing medical results using CBDs at different levels.  More research is definitely needed but in order to get there we still need to remove the stigma that this natural plant is somehow an evil gateway drug to heroin overdoses when its really nowhere near that.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never mentioned this was an evil gateway drug and I know the difference between THC and Cannabinoids. The problem as I see it is simply this. With all these new drugs coming out with all these known side effects we simply cannot know the long term effects of any of them. Some of the so-called treatments are worse than the diseases they claim to help. So while in the short term things look great the long term effects cannot be discounted or predicted. Proceeding with caution is the logical and right path to take.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never mentioned this was an evil gateway drug and I know the difference between THC and Cannabinoids. The problem as I see it is simply this. With all these new drugs coming out with all these known side effects we simply cannot know the long term effects of any of them. Some of the so-called treatments are worse than the diseases they claim to help. So while in the short term things look great the long term effects cannot be discounted or predicted. Proceeding with caution is the logical and right path to take.

Oh that last part wasn't directed at you at all, actually my whole post is mostly speaking in general, I piggybacked off yours due to a misread.  I thought you were talking about CBD in general not "my CBD".  Didn't mean for you to interpret it as me putting words in your mouth.  That was just more a general grievance with the perception of the plant over the course of history.

I don't think we disagree on the need for more research and my point with the last statement was that the perception blocks and stymies that research and development.

Edited by JETSfaninNE

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

How about we stop letting little kids tackle each other. Then they won't need pain meds at all. Just saying.

100% agree with this. Flag football till middle school.   

That being said if that stuff can keep Dexter McDougle healthy and on the field then hook a brother up! 

On 8/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Dcronin said:

DC

Thank you. I was scrolling down and becoming increasing disappointed at the lack of education (no one's fault really) about Cannabis relative to CBD. I work for a major medical Cannabis producer (and rec in the states) and there's absolutely an argument to made about using CBD to treat pain. 

Extracts/capsules and oils are the method of delivery btw, we're not talking about getting kids to smoke blunts.