If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Pointdexter

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I can respect that.  

I simply disagree.  Selecting a QB (instead of taking two safeties) would not have hurt the evaluation of Hack, and would not have stopped us in any way from picking from the supposedly better daft class of 2018.

With that said, I maintain, I am not letting the guy who brought us Fitz, McCown, Petty and Hack for the last three years select the QB of the future in 2018.  He has not earned that (again, presuming Hack busts this year).

I can respect that others feel differently, and would happily let Mac survive his three years of constant failure and give him another go.  Jets fans are nothing if not oddly patient....with some folks, at least.

So I keep hearing.  Hard to see it from the resumes so far.  I'm smelling hype, but we'll see.  If Darnold, Allen and Rosen all become all-pro's, clearly the hype was real.

That is opinion, not fact.  

I bet Lynch, today, is better than Hack, Petty and McClown.  And again, picking Lynch (which I was not for) would not, in any way, stop the Jets from picking a QB in 2018.  That is outdated, old man thinking, and it needs to stop.  Drafting QB's in 2017 is not drafting QB's in 1987.

I think this is your problem:  you care how things "look".  I don't give a sh*t how things look, I care how they work, on the field, where it counts.  

I'd rather my team make every effort possible to draft legitimate potential franchise QB's every year possible till we damn well find one.  I would not draft the Petty's, the reach Hackenberg's and their ilk and then pray for a forgiving fanbase when they inevitably flop.  There is no position on the modern NFL playing field that matter like QB.  I'd trade an entire draft class of all-Pro safeties for a CHANCE at a franchise QB.  That is how important QB is and comparatively irrelevant Safety is in the modern NFL.

End of the day, Mac has had three years as GM to find a QB.  If Hack busts, he failed.  And I would fire him for it, we're likely worse every single season in his tenure if we wind up where we all think this year.  That is not how one keeps his job. 

If we want to buy the hype next year, and pick Rosen or Allen or Darnold, fine.  I want a better GM with a better eye for QB talent making the pick.  I refuse to have the guy who vastly overdrafted Hackenberg (again, presuming he busts as in the OP that started these exchanges) because he was such an egotistical prick he though he knew better than the rest of the league, picking our future.

So lets all hope Hack doesn't bust.  Of course, if we follow your logic above, Hack not busting means we can't draft a QB in 2018.  Except of course we can, and almost assuredly will.  

Your logic is so incredibly flawed. I don't care what year it is, not all QB's look good the first year they come out. There are countless examples of QB's who look like garbage for one or more years who turn out to be very good. No team in their right mind is going to take a QB with a high 1st round pick 2 years in a row. And it has nothing to do with how it looks, and everything to do with using your resources. If you take a high 1st round pick at the QB position, you are making a  commitment to that player, and believe in that player enough to make a few year commitment to that player. If you did not like him enough to make that multiple year commitment, and you still took him with a high first, you are an absolute idiot as a GM, and are not long for the NFL.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most questionable logic here is at the QB position. 

We're seeing Macc killed for not drafting a number of QBs who have accomplished nothing up to now while also killing him for picking a QB who hasn't had his chance yet, has failed at nothing.

And some are willing to go to war to defend this failed position. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The most questionable logic here is at the QB position. 

We're seeing Macc killed for not drafting a number of QBs who have accomplished nothing up to now while also killing for picking a QB who hasn't had his chance yet, has failed at nothing.

And some are willing to go to war to defend this failed position. 

I would literally die for Deshaun Watson

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I maintain, I am not letting the guy who brought us Fitz, McCown, Petty and Hack for the last three years select the QB of the future in 2018. 

I am certainly not a Mac apologist, but prior to this off season, who should he have picked in the draft or brought in as a free agent? For a while, it was pretty slim pickings if you were looking for a QB. It's tough to make champagne out of beer.

Just now, Jet Blast said:

I am certainly not a Mac apologist, but prior to this off season, who should he have picked in the draft or brought in as a free agent? For a while, it was pretty slim pickings if you were looking for a QB. It's tough to make champagne out of beer.

Better yet Petty was drafted to be a backup first, anything more would be a bonus.  Fitz, he was the guy they all argued for and now want to hold it against Macc for listening.  What was the option available to bring in over Fitz? Who should we have drafted at QB? 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Oh god, please no.

Realistically, one of any number of guys. I happen to think Allen is the most likely to be in that top 5 mix by next year and I think we can all agree there will be some shuffling...but I've been wrong before.

Just want a top prospect in 2018 if they're in position to draft one.

Looking back on it, and ignoring Prescott, the Jets could have drafted another Qb last year, other than or in addition to Hack.  Kessler, Brissett, Cook may be better than one of the three they have.  They would have been better off with another young QB than Josh McCown.

Particularly with Maye looking like he does, the Jets could have taken a QB this year that also would have improved the position.   And potentially Peterman and Kaaya could have been helpful.

But this is all most as the Jets could go QB big time in the 2018 Draft.   They should go Redskins and take 2.

1 hour ago, Jet Blast said:

It's a fair question.  And I freely admit, I'm not an NFL GM or College Expert, so my OWN picks are exceedingly questionable.  

But since it IS a fair question, here is "What Warfish Would Have Done":

2015:  No one.  Fitz vs. Geno was fine for year #1, given a new GM and some folks thinking Geno just needed "a fair chance", shame was Geno was a moron who got his own jaw broke....  Petty in the 2nd, in that year class, was acceptable I suppose, as a body.

2016: Connor Cook, QB, Pick #83 (Third Round)

2017: Deshaun Watson, QB, Pick #6 (First Round)

So in my world, we're going in tonight with Watson/Cook/Petty and looking at BAP QB in Draft 2018.

In the real world we're going in with McCown/Hackenberg/Petty and looking at BAP QB in Draft 2018.

/shrug.  

EDIT:  I should stress, these were the players I wanted at that time, no hindsight involved.  I would not pretend to be a Dak Prescott guy now, after the fact.  Enough folks play that BS game as it is.  The actions above were what I advocated for in that time, and my posting record shows it.  I stand by the preferences today.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Garbage?  

So in other words a 3 part answer that says absolutely nothing.  

A Hack reference for no reason at all. 

Nice job.  Thanks for adding to the discussion.  

You're welcome. 

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

What would you have done differently than Mac to improve the QB situation?

Picked up Mark Sanchez for peanuts, surrounded him with some decent weapons, give him a real offensive coordinator, and see if the kid who once showed such promise could have been salvaged.

He's to this day the best young QB prospect we've seen since 1965, was worth a second look especially considering the craptastic backups that were floating around the league in 2015 and 2016.  I'd have rather seen Mark Sanchez given another shot under the New York lights than see Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick achieve the inevitable.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Picked up Mark Sanchez for peanuts, surrounded him with some decent weapons, give him a real offensive coordinator, and see if the kid who once showed such promise could have been salvaged.

He's to this day the best young QB prospect we've seen since 1965, was worth a second look especially considering the craptastic backups that were floating around the league in 2015 and 2016.  I'd have rather seen Mark Sanchez given another shot under the New York lights than see Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick achieve the inevitable.

SAR I

You are going to get flambéed for this one.  Not saying you are wrong even, but...yeah...molten lava.

At least TB's GM stepped up to take some of the pressure off Macc.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/aguayo-among-biggest-busts-in-nfl-draft-history/ss-AApVW7p?ocid=spartanntp#image=1

5 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Your logic is so incredibly flawed. I don't care what year it is, not all QB's look good the first year they come out. There are countless examples of QB's who look like garbage for one or more years who turn out to be very good. No team in their right mind is going to take a QB with a high 1st round pick 2 years in a row. And it has nothing to do with how it looks, and everything to do with using your resources. If you take a high 1st round pick at the QB position, you are making a  commitment to that player, and believe in that player enough to make a few year commitment to that player. If you did not like him enough to make that multiple year commitment, and you still took him with a high first, you are an absolute idiot as a GM, and are not long for the NFL.

given how depleted the rest of the team was it would be hard for them to pick a qb with their top pick multiple seasons in a row.  i get the point of picking qb's until you get one but at some point there are are players who can help more.

5 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

Macc is gonna show us this year if he's a genius, or an idiot.  I will say one thing, he's got a set, to flush all these vets and really start all over is not something you see often in football. 

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

given how depleted the rest of the team was it would be hard for them to pick a qb with their top pick multiple seasons in a row.  i get the point of picking qb's until you get one but at some point there are are players who can help more.

Not to mention that with that logic, you're effectively giving up a first rounder since you can't start two QBs at the same time.  If you really love the QB then use a 1st rounder on him, otherwise find someone else you really love.  I don't blame them for passing on a QB this year.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Commitee is meeting this afternoon to pick a captain and we'll announce it before kickoff tonight. As committee chair, I am ineligible to serve as captain. 

All talk

It's dbatestroll up for the job?

So it was an okay outing for him. He didn't take chances and in general made safe and sound decisions with mostly accurate short range throws. Typical game manager type stuff, but he's gonna need to do more than play it safe to be a good starter.It was acceptable as a preseason performance for somebody with his career trajectory, and was certainly something to build on over the next month. I can't call it much more than that though.

12 hours ago, glenn31 said:

If you're a Dallas fan, that 6 pack Zeke just got may be a long term blessing in disguise in regards to whether or not they have a QB they can legitimately build the O around.

You could be right.  Tough though, given a sophomore set back and all.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

All talk

It's dbatestroll up for the job?

In an unprecedented move, The Committee has decided to leave the Captaincy vacant this season. Quite simply, we just don't think it's ethical to put someone in charge of this impending disaster. Thx.

7 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

So it was an okay outing for him. He didn't take chances and in general made safe and sound decisions with mostly accurate short range throws. Typical game manager type stuff, but he's gonna need to do more than play it safe to be a good starter.It was acceptable as a preseason performance for somebody with his career trajectory, and was certainly something to build on over the next month. I can't call it much more than that though.

The Jets are going to need a better receiver or 2 to figure out what Hack can really do.  His strength is his long ball. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In an unprecedented move, The Committee has decided to leave the Captaincy vacant this season. Quite simply, we just don't think it's ethical to put someone in charge of this impending disaster. Thx.

So @dbatesman said no?

What a shock

I can think of a dozen posters that would do a great job just off the top of my head who aren't scared little girls like you two.

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He said improve the QB position.

Blaming the OC is classic Mark Sanchez talk.  Sucking was never his fault, always either the OCs who are always to blame otherwise its the HCs fault.  No matter the team, the coaches, the situation.  He fails and his fans blame someone else

10 hours ago, thadude said:

How many TD's did Hack throw in the preseason game?

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Hack still sucks, sorry guys

Sucks for you doesnt it., all you did was post how much Hack sucks and it didnt go as you hoped last night.  So now its these kind of pointless posts.

Go root for Kizer and Cleveland, your negative posts wont be missed

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Name names, Larz, and we'll take it to a constitutional convention 

just ask for PM's of interested posters and then pick someone who actually likes the team, lol

I don't want to make it public

Archived