If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Pointdexter

Why does an honest appraisal of the Jets' offensive situation have to be dismissed as excuse making? 

If the Jets don't have the worst WR corps in the league, they at least have the most questionable one at this point in the season. The OL remains a work in progress, with big questions at the tackle spots. Are Powell or Forte available tonight? Each guy provides much-needed pass catching and pass protecting abilities. They're running a brand new offense that isn't even completely installed, yet. 

There's a lot of negative going on here aside from the QBs. 

But also true is that this is what the situation is, and the QBs need to perform despite it. I enjoy both pleasant surprises and train wrecks, so I'll be tuning in. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So if Hack doesn't pan out, but Maye surprises everyone and has a good rookie year, Shell starts at RT all season and 3 of Lee, Jenkins, Donahue, Burris, Hanson or Stewart produce this season Mac should be fired?  Because he made one bad QB evaluation?

One?  Presuming Hack doesn't pan out (in your scenario above) would Mac have made a single good QB decision in his years here?  I would say no, he hasn't.  Why would we fans be expected to support letting that guy, who missed three years running as badly as Mac would have, pick the QB of our future?

I get that its the most important position, but Hack is 22 and could wind up being a decent backup,

Personally, I fire GM's who use 2nd round picks to draft "Maybe, a decent backup" when we are as QB desperate as we are/have been.

An NFL GM who fails to address the most vital position on the field (a position worth a dozen Safeties, Olinemen and backup LB'ers) does not stay a GM for long.

With that said, I've not written Hack off yet.  I will watch for myself, then judge.

But IF Hack remains a total bust, Mac (and Bowles) must IMO suffer the price of their utter and complete failure at the QB position.  Three years is too long to have nothing to show at QB.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Why does an honest appraisal of the Jets' offensive situation have to be dismissed as excuse making? 

In before "No weapons, unfair, start Hack in 2018!"

We have to wonder if some folks are literally copy-pasting their posts from a few years back.....

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One?  Presuming Hack doesn't pan out (in your scenario above) would Mac have made a single good QB decision in his years here?  I would say no, he hasn't.  Why would we fans be expected to support letting that guy, who missed three years running as badly as Mac would have, pick the QB of our future?

Personally, I fire GM's who use 2nd round picks to draft "Maybe, a decent backup" when we are as QB desperate as we are/have been.

An NFL GM who fails to address the most vital position on the field (a position worth a dozen Safeties, Olinemen and backup LB'ers) does not stay a GM for long.

With that said, I've not written Hack off yet.  I will watch for myself, then judge.

But IF Hack remains a total bust, Mac (and Bowles) must IMO suffer the price of their utter and complete failure at the QB position.  Three years is too long to have nothing to show at QB.

So then John Elway should be fired for using a first (which I believe he traded up for) for Paxton Lynch?

Mac has made 2 bad QB decisions (if hack doesn't pan out) picking Hack so early and overpaying Fitz.  But signing fitz in the first place helped the team win 10 games and picking Petty was a fine value in the mid rounds.  Not everyone hits on a Dak Prescott.  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In before "No weapons, unfair, start Hack in 2018!"

We have to wonder if some folks are literally copy-pasting their posts from a few years back.....

I appreciate the cherry picking. I said in that post that the QBs have to perform regardless, but dismissing the lack of talent and questions marks all over the offense is also disingenuous. This team might be a .500 squad with Tom Brady under center. 

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So then John Elway should be fired for using a first (which I believe he traded up for) for Paxton Lynch?

Thats up to Denver Fans.  I'm not a Denver Fan.  

Didn't Denver just win a Super Bowl under Elway?  ffs man, seriously.  smh.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Mac has made 2 bad QB decisions (if hack doesn't pan out) picking Hack so early and overpaying Fitz.  But signing fitz in the first place helped the team win 10 games and picking Petty was a fine value in the mid rounds.  Not everyone hits on a Dak Prescott.  

Well, I guess we can safety put you in the "Give Mac another shot, his fourth draft/year might be the charm!" camp.  

40 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

It always amazes me with the ability of some to turn the thread into something it's not based on the straw man argument principle. 

Bottom line is if Hack can't show us equivalent "flashes" or "glimpses" or "potential" or whatever term you want to use to denote promise, in his second year, as these other qbs in their first, that is a problem. 

No amount of burying your head in the sand or fanboy excuses changes that. This is not about one preseason game, Hack was awful for his last 2 years of college, awful last preseason, and from almost all reports awful on the practice field last season. Practice reports this season aren't much better. So yes, at some point we need to see something from him and cannot keep writing things off as "one preseason game" or "one disgruntled coach" or "one hatin' reporter", etc etc etc etc

It's funny, it amazes me that people try to make valid arguments while spewing ridiculous garbage like your first post had.

I think it's quite likely that Hack is not a viable NFL starter, but the need or want for him to "stack" up to other players' 1st preseason performances shows your head is buried in the sand just as much as anyone who thinks Hack has a chance to be good.  It's just a different area of the desert.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"No weapons, unfair, start Hack in 2018!"

And if we took Trubisky or Watson or Mahomes there would be no excuses about lack of skill position talent on offense.  They would magically raise up the talent level of everyone around them. 

Those looking at this offense with or without Hack and say its fine are the ones who are sticking their heads in the sand.

Bottom line, this is a year to gain all those youngsters some valuable experience , hopefully the Jets FO will feel the same and resist the urge to start the vet QB. 

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There's this little concept called "building up credit" that serves to insulate & protect one in the event of a bad decision. Kinda like scoring an amazing salary and buying your wife every last luxury & trinket imaginable.

Then 3 years later you happened to give her the clap. She JUST may forgive you.

Mac gave his shorty the clap while they were still living down the hall from each other in a decrepit dorm as struggling college students eating ramen noodles & chicken seasoning 0ef90322cbd73d73d046272a59136fff.png?t=1

21 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Dak Prescott could be the next Kaepernick.  He has had one good season on a stacked offense.  I would want to see 3-4 great seasons before he gets put in the elite status.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, I guess we can safety put you in the "Give Mac another shot, his fourth draft/year might be the charm!" camp.  

I dont believe Mac is at fault so yes I would like to give him another year.

He took a team devoid of talent, made a few veteran acquisitions and got us within one awful play by fitz from the playoffs.

After that, he got his ass handed to him in the fitz negotiation, partially because he was boxed into a corner with Fitz having a career year and veterans like Marshall, Decker and Mangold publicly saying they wanted him back.

Then a key defensive player, who never had a single issue with effort completely tanks the season, the QB plays horrifically and the team implodes to where we are now.  Instead of plugging holes, the organization goes with a youth movement to see if they have a QB on the roster or position themselves to get one in the next draft. 

So far Leo looks like a regular pro-bolwer, Adams/Maye have played very well, Robby anderson was an UDFA who had a 40 catch rookie year, and guys like Shell, Burris, Jenkins and Lee all look ready to be solid contributors in their second seasons.  

Mac needs to work on his understanding of FA/trade value, as not trading sheldon last year was also a mistake, but Im going to give the guy more time to see if his draft picks pan out because its very early in the process of evaluating them.

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Dak Prescott could be the next Kaepernick.  He has had one good season on a stacked offense.  I would want to see 3-4 great seasons before he gets put in the elite status.

If you're a Dallas fan, that 6 pack Zeke just got may be a long term blessing in disguise in regards to whether or not they have a QB they can legitimately build the O around.

5 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

There's this little concept called "building up credit" that serves to insulate & protect one in the event of a bad decision. Kinda like scoring an amazing salary and buying your wife every last luxury & trinket imaginable.

Then 3 years later you happened to give her the clap. She JUST may forgive you.

Mac gave his shorty the clap while they were still living down the hall from each other in a decrepit dorm as struggling college students 0ef90322cbd73d73d046272a59136fff.png?t=1

I agree, and Mac hasn't done anything to deserve to be fired over one bad QB pick that wasn't even a first rounder.  

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I agree, and Mac hasn't done anything to deserve to be fired over one bad QB pick that wasn't even a first rounder.  

Please tell us how the QB position of the NYJ is improved over the situation Mac inherited.

When a regime leaves a program, the most important question to ask and answer is "did they leave the cupboards in better condition than they found it."

It's been 3 off seasons and the QB position has NEVER been a position of strength under his watch. If he was replaced today, the answer to the above question would be a unanimous "no"  and for that you don't deserve another shot to stock the cupboards with Key Food brand products when you had the money and opportunity to buy Kraft, General Mills, Nestle, and Con Agra.

5 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Please tell us how the QB position of the NYJ is improved over the situation Mac inherited.

When a regime leaves a program, the most important question to ask and answer is "did they leave the cupboards in better condition than they found it."

It's been 3 off seasons and the QB position has NEVER been a position of strength under his watch. If he was replaced today, the answer to the above question would be a unanimous "no"  and for that you don't deserve another shot to stock the cupboards with Key Food brand products when you had the money and opportunity to buy Kraft, General Mills, Nestle, and Con Agra.

What would you have done differently than Mac to improve the QB situation?

Was there a FA QB that we low-balled and lost to another team?  Did we let a FA QB leave the Jets who had success elsewhere?

Did we pass on someone at QB who is doing well, that most people thought was a slam dunk pick for us?

Is the position improved, no it isnt.  But would have drafting Paxton Lynch put us in better position?  What about paying Mike Glennon?  Your post implies that its easy to find a QB, anyone who is halfway decent (tyrod taylor and kirk cousins) gets paid enormously to stay with their teams.  Trubisky went before we picked leaving watson and mahomes the guys you must be referencing.  

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

show some balls and take over the captaincy this year

I bet you don't have the guts

The Commitee is meeting this afternoon to pick a captain and we'll announce it before kickoff tonight. As committee chair, I am ineligible to serve as captain. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Commitee is meeting this afternoon to pick a captain and we'll announce it before kickoff tonight. As committee chair, I am ineligible to serve as captain. 

Coward

@dbatesman  is the only choice if you are going to punk out.  The 2 of you are so smart and such great fans, there really is no other choice.

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Hack has a full year of nfl experience and coaching over these kids.

Simply being on the roster does not constitute a full year of NFL experience.  It was determined early that he would be non-factor, near non-participant in his rookie season. At best, Hackenberg has the advantage of knowing where to go out and eat while on the road.  I don't know if he is into hookers, but that may be another area where he has a potential leg-up.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

What would you have done differently than Mac to improve the QB situation?

Was there a FA QB that we low-balled and lost to another team?  Did we let a FA QB leave the Jets who had success elsewhere?

Did we pass on someone at QB who is doing well, that most people thought was a slam dunk pick for us?

Is the position improved, no it isnt.  But would have drafting Paxton Lynch put us in better position?  What about paying Mike Glennon?  Your post implies that its easy to find a QB, anyone who is halfway decent (tyrod taylor and kirk cousins) gets paid enormously to stay with their teams.  Trubisky went before we picked leaving watson and mahomes the guys you must be referencing.  

I'll give him a pass for 2015, but his biggest mistake in 2016 (aside from bidding against himself for a journeyman that no one else in the league had any use for - let that sink in for a moment on a referendum on Mac's savvy) was having 4 QBs on the roster last year. Either we go with the 3 youngsters we had at the conclusion of the 2016 draft, or forego drafting a QB if Fitz was such a priority. This whole "derp let's redshirt a second rounder when we don't have a legit NFL starter" is just absolutely moronic in this day and age. This isn't Chad sitting behind Vinny for 2.25 years... Chad was a monster college QB who was sitting behind a guy who found the fountain of youth and was still the face of our franchise at that time. Even with all the "Chad practices horribly" reports, you knew you had something because in college he showed that something consistently for a chunk of years. That same raw as hell Chad even got into a game vs a good Raiders team and threw a TD, and on a team with MUCH better talent in the QB room.

The silver lining to no Fitz last year is we could have evaluated the young arms in 2016, now that inevitability has fallen on the Jets' lap a full year later... Yet another season to waste because our GM has the long range thought process of a mayfly.

Hack had one good season when he was 18 or 19 and no one had film on him or how O'Brien would adapt his system to college, has shat the football bed his last 3 years involved in the game. On a 2016 Jet team devoid of talent and going nowhere fast, the powers that be were so enamored with him that he took exactly zero snaps. Not even for 6-8 handoffs at the end of the game. Ok, he couldn't read a defense so he couldn't play. He could have still been given a chance to just run an NFL huddle, line guys up, and just take some game rep snaps. He wasn't even ready for that and considering how many times Morton has had to throw him out for not controlling the huddle, well you can't blame the staff for last year.

So we get to Draft day(s) 2017, we only have 2 NFL "projects"  and in a draft with QBs better than our garbage, not one QB is picked who may actually develop along a normal NFL stream (aka no redshirt BS). I have no crystal ball, I'm no clairvoyant so I don't know if any of them will pan out, but the OP is absolutely correct: If Hack, entering his SECOND NFL SEASON cannot look anywhere as good as guys who took their first NFL snaps in their FIRST MONTH as NFL players, there's no denying there's cause for concern.

That's if you still believe in Hack. Problem is he's been a sucky football player for the last 4 years. And Mac tied his wagon to him (let that sink in for a moment on a referendum on Mac's savvy) 509a396df948606aacab8f18591d8459.png?t=1

I thought Savage was better than Watson.

Glennon was the stiff I have always thought he was and Trubisky was clearly better than him.

Alex Smith was better than Mahomes but Mahomes will be the starter next year latest.

Geno and Sanchez were Geno and Sanchez though Geno looked better than Josh Johnson.

Cant wait to see what Hack does

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Do you really believe it's up to a team's fans if a GM gets fired?

Just now, johnnysd said:

I thought Savage was better than Watson.

Glennon was the stiff I have always thought he was and Trubisky was clearly better than him.

Alex Smith was better than Mahomes but Mahomes will be the starter next year latest.

Geno and Sanchez were Geno and Sanchez though Geno looked better than Josh Johnson.

Cant wait to see what Hack does

Glennon had many fine preseason games. 

17 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

I'll give him a pass for 2015, but his biggest mistake in 2016 (aside from bidding against himself for a journeyman that no one else in the league had any use for - let that sink in for a moment on a referendum on Mac's savvy) was having 4 QBs on the roster last year. Either we go with the 3 youngsters we had at the conclusion of the 2016 draft, or forego drafting a QB if Fitz was such a priority. This whole "derp let's redshirt a second rounder when we don't have a legit NFL starter" is just absolutely moronic in this day and age. This isn't Chad sitting behind Vinny for 2.25 years... Chad was a monster college QB who was sitting behind a guy who found the fountain of youth and was still the face of our franchise at that time. Even with all the "Chad practices horribly" reports, you knew you had something because in college he showed that something consistently for a chunk of years. That same raw as hell Chad even got into a game vs a good Raiders team and threw a TD, and on a team with MUCH better talent in the QB room.

The silver cloud to no Fitz last year is we could have evaluated the young arms in 2016, now that inevitability has fallen on the Jets' lap a full year later... Yet another season to waste because our GM has the long range thought process of a mayfly.

Hack had one good season when he was 18 or 19 and no one had film on him or how O'Brien would adapt his system to college, has shat the football bed his last 3 years involved in the game. On a 2016 Jet team devoid of talent and going nowhere fast, the powers that be were so enamored with him that he took exactly zero snaps. Not even for 6-8 handoffs at the end of the game. Ok, he couldn't read a defense so he couldn't play. He could have still been given a chance to just run an NFL huddle, line guys up, and just take some game rep snaps. He wasn't even ready for that and considering how many times Morton has had to throw him out for not controlling the huddle, well you can't blame the staff for last year.

So we get to Draft day(s) 2017, we only have 2 NFL "projects"  and in a draft with QBs better than our garbage, not one QB is picked who may actually develop along a normal NFL stream (aka no redshirt BS). I have no crystal ball, I'm no clairvoyant so I don't know if any of them will pan out, but the OP is absolutely correct: If Hack, entering his SECOND NFL SEASON cannot look anywhere as good as guys who took their first NFL snaps in their FIRST MONTH as NFL players, there's no denying there's cause for concern.

That's if you still believe in Hack. Problem is he's been a sucky football player for the last 4 years. And Mac tied his wagon to him (let that sink in for a moment on a referendum on Mac's savvy) 509a396df948606aacab8f18591d8459.png?t=1

friday-damn.gif

3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

It always amazes me with the ability of some to turn the thread into something it's not based on the straw man argument principle. 

Bottom line is if Hack can't show us equivalent "flashes" or "glimpses" or "potential" or whatever term you want to use to denote promise, in his second year, as these other qbs in their first, that is a problem. 

No amount of burying your head in the sand or fanboy excuses changes that. This is not about one preseason game, Hack was awful for his last 2 years of college, awful last preseason, and from almost all reports awful on the practice field last season. Practice reports this season aren't much better. So yes, at some point we need to see something from him and cannot keep writing things off as "one preseason game" or "one disgruntled coach" or "one hatin' reporter", etc etc etc etc

It actually amazes me that you think what a QB throwing against 3rd and 4th stringers, a handful of times is the measuring stick.  

How would you classify what Lynch is given he looked like shlt in his game after the board went nuclear because we passed on Elways genius pick

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

What happens tonight is irrelevant.

It's what happens this year that tells the tale.

If Hackenberg is a bust, and either/or Watson and Kizer become solid NFL starting QB's, Mac (under any rational organization) would be gone for his wanton failures at the QB position after 3 years.

But we all know we're not rational, so Mac will almost assuredly get to tie the franchise down next draft with witchever QB he thinks is the best one.

Lets hope his evaluation of QB prospects has improved.

Or that Hack proves Mac wiser then we fans think he is.

This, in a nutshell.

For arguments sake, I believe that getting a true evaluation of Hack and waiting one more year for a better draft class was the far smarter decision.  Whether Hack busts or not doesn't change that.  It's been repeated ad-nauseum here this week.  It was never about passing on QB for someone else this year, it was about getting the best players possible for the long run and holding out for a far better class one year from now.  Kizer, Watson, etc., were not going to change our fortunes around this season.  Why gamble on them, throw away a 2nd round pick we planned on giving time to develop, when we're likely going to be picking high next year anyway?  It doesn't make any sense at all. I know you've said in the past that you don't watch much, if any, college ball so I don't know how much you really know about the QBs coming out.  They are really, really, really, good.  Picking Watson or Kizer would have guaranteed us passing on them.  That type of desperation is the stuff of nightmares.  

Look at the Paxton Lynch situation right now.  Everyone wanted him the year he came out and I, along with many others, were shouting from the heavens that he wasn't worth a first round pick and that selecting him with one would guarantee that we pass on QB for AT LEAST 3-4 drafts.  If Denver shocks the world and moves on from him next year, after trading UP for him last year, what would look worse when it's all said and done?  Denver doing THAT, or us moving on from our low 2nd round draft pick after 2 years of development and ultimately deciding that we need to spend a first on a QB in a loaded class?  Which would you rather your team do?  It's not even a defense of Macc at this point, it's just a defense of the logic that went into the decision.  We could argue for days about which  QB prospect we should have spent that 2nd round pick on, the bigger point is that a 2nd round QB doesn't have the same level of commitment that a first round pick does, especially not anymore after the new rookie wage scale.  Carolina is prime example of this.  They took Clausen high in the 2nd, saw he wasn't the answer, and felt that Cam Newton was too great of a prospect to pass on.  

Look, if I'm being honest, as much as loved Hack (I followed him back as a HS recruit for Christ's sake) my guess is that he isn't gonna end up being our guy...whether it was the PSU situation that ruined him...or him just never progressing beyond a certain point...it doesn't matter.  He was given a chance and ultimately his failure to live up to the hype will be on him.  It sucks to finally admit that because I wanted so badly to be right when it came to him.  In the end, if that's the case, he won't be my first "miss", although it will be my most disappointing one because of how much I loved the kid, and he certainly won't be my last.  However, all that being said, the silver lining in this is the fact that we didn't panic in 2016, trade up in the first for him (or even select him in the first), and can now pick our guy next season. 

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For arguments sake, I believe that getting a true evaluation of Hack and waiting one more year for a better draft class was the far smarter decision.

I can respect that.  

I simply disagree.  Selecting a QB (instead of taking two safeties) would not have hurt the evaluation of Hack, and would not have stopped us in any way from picking from the supposedly better daft class of 2018.

With that said, I maintain, I am not letting the guy who brought us Fitz, McCown, Petty and Hack for the last three years select the QB of the future in 2018.  He has not earned that (again, presuming Hack busts this year).

I can respect that others feel differently, and would happily let Mac survive his three years of constant failure and give him another go.  Jets fans are nothing if not oddly patient....with some folks, at least.

I know you've said in the past that you don't watch much, if any, college ball so I don't know how much you really know about the QBs coming out.  They are really, really, really, good.[/quote]

So I keep hearing.  Hard to see it from the resumes so far.  I'm smelling hype, but we'll see.  If Darnold, Allen and Rosen all become all-pro's, clearly the hype was real.

Picking Watson or Kizer would have guaranteed us passing on them.

That is opinion, not fact.  

Look at the Paxton Lynch situation right now.  Everyone wanted him the year he came out and I, along with many others, were shouting from the heavens that he wasn't worth a first round pick and that selecting him with one would guarantee that we pass on QB for AT LEAST 3-4 drafts.

I bet Lynch, today, is better than Hack, Petty and McClown.  And again, picking Lynch (which I was not for) would not, in any way, stop the Jets from picking a QB in 2018.  That is outdated, old man thinking, and it needs to stop.  Drafting QB's in 2017 is not drafting QB's in 1987.

If Denver shocks the world and moves on from him next year, after trading UP for him last year, what would look worse when it's all said and done?  Denver doing THAT, or us moving on from our low 2nd round draft pick after 2 years of development and ultimately deciding that we need to spend a first on a QB in a loaded class?

I think this is your problem:  you care how things "look".  I don't give a sh*t how things look, I care how they work, on the field, where it counts.  

Which would you rather your team do?

I'd rather my team make every effort possible to draft legitimate potential franchise QB's every year possible till we damn well find one.  I would not draft the Petty's, the reach Hackenberg's and their ilk and then pray for a forgiving fanbase when they inevitably flop.  There is no position on the modern NFL playing field that matter like QB.  I'd trade an entire draft class of all-Pro safeties for a CHANCE at a franchise QB.  That is how important QB is and comparatively irrelevant Safety is in the modern NFL.

End of the day, Mac has had three years as GM to find a QB.  If Hack busts, he failed.  And I would fire him for it, we're likely worse every single season in his tenure if we wind up where we all think this year.  That is not how one keeps his job. 

If we want to buy the hype next year, and pick Rosen or Allen or Darnold, fine.  I want a better GM with a better eye for QB talent making the pick.  I refuse to have the guy who vastly overdrafted Hackenberg (again, presuming he busts as in the OP that started these exchanges) because he was such an egotistical prick he though he knew better than the rest of the league, picking our future.

So lets all hope Hack doesn't bust.  Of course, if we follow your logic above, Hack not busting means we can't draft a QB in 2018.  Except of course we can, and almost assuredly will.  

Archived