If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Pointdexter

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

We know two things about Mark Sanchez:

When the team believes in him it elevates his confidence and his level of play.  When a team doesn't believe in him, his psyche cripples him.

He's not the first.  Ask the Atlanta Falcons what they thought of Brett Favre.  Ask the Tampa Bay Bucs how many seasons they wasted on Steve Young.  Surround a quarterback with potential with the right cast, they can be confident and they can be great.  Give them no weapons and a crappy OC and a HC who is looking for a scapegoat, they are awful.

SAR I

What cracks me up about some people on this board is the lack of knowledge about the west coast offense which also can be used as the main reason why QB's or Young QB's here fail so miserably due to the lack of talent and decent schemes. This team in the early years of Sanchez was run run run then when you fall behind expect said QB to just turn on the passing abilities while no real rhythm was established. The constant running probably annoyed Idiots like Santonio Holmes causing locker room and in the huddle distractions which caused further issues for a young QB.

The west coast offense is a short passing ball control offense that tries to limit mistakes, get a QB in rhythm early in the game, and also limits low percentage passes that are completed at an alarmingly low rate. The offense is designed to get the ball into play makers hands at a High percentage so THEY can make plays but in Idiot Jet world this is AKA Dink and Dunk offensive strategy because guys like Bill Walsh and Sean Peyton who exclusively ran this short passing dink and dunk mess didn't know wtf they were doing. I don't see people complaining about Tom Brady's short high percentage passes that continues to succeed. Of course Tom Brady has many more attributes that make him great since he can do just about anything, but his game starts with a short passing game designed to get him in rhythm and his WR's always make plays and play with heart no ther WR's can match Thats Bills plan and his QB who has been in that offense for 17 years executes it with precision because thats all hes been in his entire career 

Why am I talking about West Coast ? Because of the concept of surrounding your QB with talent is what will win in this style of offense

So the other night we watched Hackenberg complete a high percentage of his passes and it gets labeled Dink and Dunk well just Imagine if those dink and dunks are completed to Jerry Rice , John Taylor, Roger Craig or Tom Rathman OR the stable of running backs that Drew Brees had early in his career when he was completing 150 + passes to RB's and enjoying a 70 % comp rating. Think he got that throwing 20 and 30 + yard passes ? Think again. Think anyone would have made comments on the short passing game if the talent around our QB would have lit it up ? Think all the passes would have been dink and dunk if guys started breaking free ? Nope.... it would have opened up the occasional deep pass and it would have been labeled explosive.

The offense we ran against Tennessee  was the perfect offense for a young QB to grow and gain confidence and I can tell you from what Morton learned from past coaches and experiences you can expect much more of that during the season NO MATTER who the starter is. The big Question is will our play makers do enough to make that plan work ? You will see deep passes as soon as you see some success in the short passing game highlighted by the running backs both running and catching passes out of the backfield. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

What cracks me up about some people on this board is the lack of knowledge about the west coast offense which also can be used as the main reason why QB's or Young QB's here fail so miserably due to the lack of talent and decent schemes. This team in the early years of Sanchez was run run run then when you fall behind expect said QB to just turn on the passing abilities while no real rhythm was established. The constant running probably annoyed Idiots like Santonio Holmes causing locker room and in the huddle distractions which caused further issues for a young QB.

The west coast offense is a short passing ball control offense that tries to limit mistakes, get a QB in rhythm early in the game, and also limits low percentage passes that are completed at an alarmingly low rate. The offense is designed to get the ball into play makers hands at a High percentage so THEY can make plays but in Idiot Jet world this is AKA Dink and Dunk offensive strategy because guys like Bill Walsh and Sean Peyton who exclusively ran this short passing dink and dunk mess didn't know wtf they were doing. I don't see people complaining about Tom Brady's short high percentage passes that continues to succeed. Of course Tom Brady has many more attributes that make him great since he can do just about anything, but his game starts with a short passing game designed to get him in rhythm and his WR's always make plays and play with heart no ther WR's can match Thats Bills plan and his QB who has been in that offense for 17 years executes it with precision because thats all hes been in his entire career 

Why am I talking about West Coast ? Because of the concept of surrounding your QB with talent is what will win in this style of offense

So the other night we watched Hackenberg complete a high percentage of his passes and it gets labeled Dink and Dunk well just Imagine if those dink and dunks are completed to Jerry Rice , John Taylor, Roger Craig or Tom Rathman OR the stable of running backs that Drew Brees had early in his career when he was completing 150 + passes to RB's and enjoying a 70 % comp rating. Think he got that throwing 20 and 30 + yard passes ? Think again. Think anyone would have made comments on the short passing game if the talent around our QB would have lit it up ? Think all the passes would have been dink and dunk if guys started breaking free ? Nope.... it would have opened up the occasional deep pass and it would have been labeled explosive.

The offense we ran against Tennessee  was the perfect offense for a young QB to grow and gain confidence and I can tell you from what Morton learned from past coaches and experiences you can expect much more of that during the season NO MATTER who the starter is. The big Question is will our play makers do enough to make that plan work ? You will see deep passes as soon as you see some success in the short passing game highlighted by the running backs both running and catching passes out of the backfield. 

Completely agree. Furthermore, WC offense is a very nuanced ans complex system which takes time for everyone involved to master. People are going to need to be patient with a young QB/offense/coaching staff while they all get on the same page.

This offense still needs a lot of upgrades at receiver, running back, and oline. This whole season can't be put on Hack's back. The standard for which his season will be deemed a failure or success will be based on a lot more than the stat sheet. 

Lets give it time and see where the team is by season's end before saying they're just gonna dink and dunk and Hack sucks. 

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Completely agree. Furthermore, WC offense is a very nuanced ans complex system which takes time for everyone involved to master. People are going to need to be patient with a young QB/offense/coaching staff while they all get on the same page.

This offense still needs a lot of upgrades at receiver, running back, and oline. This whole season can't be put on Hack's back. The standard for which his season will be deemed a failure or success will be based on a lot more than the stat sheet. 

Lets give it time and see where the team is by season's end before saying they're just gonna dink and dunk and Hack sucks. 

If it doesn't work, can we bring Phil Jackson in to implement the triangle offense?

39 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

well the one thing we got going for us is our RB's can now all catch the football unlike what we had in the Sanchez years when no one could catch the football out of the backfield easing the burden on him as a very young QB.

If Hack Shows he can be the next attempt at a franchise QB we need to build the OL and get a dynamic RB in here to open up this offense. We have some real promise at the WR position but with Forte being as old as he is and Powell always being an injury risk we need a RB that can do it all a Bell/Elliot/Johnson type that can be a real threat and take pressure off our young QB. Dak Prescott was the prime example of what a loaded offense and great RB can do for a QB something we have not had here since 2002 or 98 for that matter

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

so he wasn't treated as well as he should have with the jets.  what's his excuse afterwards?  it's not like he's lighting it up.  i'm sure if he showed one bit of promise the jets would at least be taking a look.

The Jets won't take another look at Sanchez because the pity-party Jets fans and their millennial-like thin skin who need a safe space from Giants fan Buttfumble teasing at the water cooler. 

NFL history is full of quarterbacks who were great in one city and lousy in another or great when supported and lousy when undermined.  Perhaps he's not lighting it up because he was once a 22 year old star in college and a 24 year old GQ coverboy who had the rug pulled out from under him to make him the public scapegoat to ignorant fans who thought Rex Ryan was a quality NFL coach.

Its over now, Mark's not going to be good anywhere.  But it will haunt me forever what could have been if we took that kid who we waited 40 years for and who showed such early promise and put him in a position to win, not a position to lose.  All Jets fans should feel this way.  But they don't.  Because they believe what's fed to them by the media.  Buttfumble humiliation hurts feelings, Sanchez has to go so they're not reminded of it.  Pathetic.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets won't take another look at Sanchez because the pity-party Jets fans and their millennial-like thin skin who need a safe space from Giants fan Buttfumble teasing at the water cooler. 

NFL history is full of quarterbacks who were great in one city and lousy in another or great when supported and lousy when undermined.  Perhaps he's not lighting it up because he was once a 22 year old star in college and a 24 year old GQ coverboy who had the rug pulled out from under him to make him the public scapegoat to ignorant fans who thought Rex Ryan was a quality NFL coach.

Its over now, Mark's not going to be good anywhere.  But it will haunt me forever what could have been if we took that kid who we waited 40 years for and who showed such early promise and put him in a position to win, not a position to lose.  All Jets fans should feel this way.  But they don't.  Because they believe what's fed to them by the media.  Buttfumble humiliation hurts feelings, Sanchez has to go so they're not reminded of it.  Pathetic.

SAR I

People who use the buttfumble to make fun of Mark Sanchez are complete morons and sheep to be precise. I mean he certainly had his issues but to make fun of a guy for getting caught in a bad position while trying to avoid a rush is nothing short of stupidity since the guy was being pushed back in his direction. The Media Viewed Rex Ryan and this entire team as a joke so when that happened they jumped all over it and turned it into something it was not. Problem was the Idiot Jet fans who hated their own QB helped to fuel the fire and make fun of the same team they claim to support

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Too bad he was sub-par in the regular season, and his performance went down faster than the talent around him went down.  If only he could have elevated those around him, like a Franchise quarterback can...

Replaced one bad QB with another bad QB.  Plenty more bad QB's came before, many more will come down the road mate.

Yep, fans made the call.  We collectivised ownership of the team for a day, and we cut him.  Historic, really. Totally.  

Big if true, big if true.....

He had us at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play in 2011.  He didn't give up 45 points to the 5-8 Eagles.  He didn't let Victor Cruz go 99 yards for a TD for the 7-7 Giants.  The defense that supposedly carried Mark Sanchez certainly didn't at the end of the '11 season.

In 2012, come on, there was no way any QB was going to make Chaz Schillens and Clyde Gates into superstars.  They shouldn't have been on an NFL roster let alone getting first team snaps.

The anti-Sanchez agenda was to get rid of Mark and improve the QB position.  It certainly wasn't to cut Mark and make the position worse.  And yet that's exactly what happened.  So all you did was waste 5 years looking for a kid who was as promising as Mark Sanchez was on opening day 2011 and we look to be another 5 years away from getting back to that level of play at the position.  Hope you're enjoying it.

SAR I

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He sucked, the team was really good.  Anyone who watched them realized this.  Years later the story has changed, been rewritten.  He was a bottom of the league QB.  Nothing more.  I wanted Sanchez out of the starting spot one year before he wore out his welcome, when it was apparent he would be a never was QB who made nobody around him better, who couldn't lead anyone and who it was whispered put no effort into improving.  

Glad you get pleasure by fans like me who know the game a million times. Ore than fans like you who's main expertise is talking about PSL, which outfit to wear to the game and the imaginary riches you have.  

You make my point for me.

You self-appointed "football geniuses" know nothing.  If you did, you'd be right more than you are wrong and you aren't.  I've been reading you faux geniuses in the forums for years, you add nothing of value that a pair of eyeballs and some common sense can't tell the rest of us.  You were wrong about Sanchez when he was drafted and you were wrong about Sanchez when he was cut.  He performed better than anyone expected and his replacements have been worse.  The franchise thanks you for your service.  Such genius.  So million times.

SAR I

I hated the Hackenbrug pick from day, he was on my 'omg I hope we don't draft this guy' list.  I have very low hopes for him at all.  However I have no issue with the Jets not taking a QB this past year.  I simply think the crop of QBs for next year is much better.   I dislike the fact that we drafted two safeties, I don't care hoe good they are.  In a mostly offensive league the last few regimes can't resist the urge to go defense to appease the Dcentric head coach.

I won't miss Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Mahommes next year if we have one of the top two or three QBs from that crop.

Good grief (channeling our great poster Charlie Brown here). We actually have someone purporting to have greater football knowledge than others, pontificating on the supposed former greatness of Mark Sanchez. As we sit here in 2017, in a thread about young qbs and their comparison.

Truth can be stranger than fiction at times.

8 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

You're 100% correct.  And the fans want to do the same thing to Hackenberg, hope Macc doesn't take the bait. 

Most Jets fans are Mets fans and the only thing they are really good at is criticizing others, making bad decisions, and creating snappy comebacks to counter the teasing at the water cooler.

These people who complain about the vanquished chant and lack of fan noise at MetLife Stadium are the same downtrodden fans who thought the best playoff quarterback in team history wasn't good enough.  Really?  Last time I checked, we're still using the same formula for winning that we did back then-  power running game, power defense.  And with those both in place, Mark Sanchez performed brilliantly for a kid no one compared to Peyton Manning as he was coming out of school and who by age 23 had achieved more than Todd, O'Brien, Esiason, Testaverde, or Pennington, these horrible quarterbacks who shriveled in the playoffs that the self-proclaimed "Jets geniuses" suddenly lick jock over.

SAR I

8 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

This is total bullsh*t!  Go back and watch the games that got them into the AFCCGs and the role that Sanchez had in getting them there.  Sanchez was absolutely central to those wins.

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks that a terrible quarterback can make it to consecutive Championship Games and that all it takes is a great defense to get there needs their heads examined.  Sanchez sometimes had weak stats, but his decision making was incredible for a 22 year old kid who should have been in a college dorm and not on national TV winning playoff games.  He played brilliantly at New England, biggest win in recent team history.  Audibles, protections, alignments, reads, he did a great job.

All I know is that in September of 2011 no one was worried about the Jets quarterback position.  Our youngster had passed every test, looked like the real thing, and had unlimited potential.  And then our GM and HC saw players like Tomlinson and Burress and Edwards and Richardson and Jones and Faneca and Woody leave due to age or salary and did nothing to replace them.  So blame Mark Sanchez for suddenly "regressing".  Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.  Those names had some of the best 2-year stretches in team history at those positions.  Replaced with dog sh*t.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Well said.

I can't think of an NFL team that is winning games a-la Dan Marino or Jim Kelly anymore, balls 50 yards in the air every quarter.  What Sanchez was asked to do he executed brilliantly for a 22 year old kid.  He was in a situation with great playmaking WR's and RB's who could catch and run.  When they left and weren't replaced he was less effective.  The screams shouldn't have been to get rid of Sanchez; it should have been to get Ryan out of here and bring in a HC who was from the offensive side of the ball and understood the importance of WR's and rhythm and consistency and might have been able to put Sanchez in a strong position to develop instead of a strong position to collapse.

SAR I

41 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

People who use the buttfumble to make fun of Mark Sanchez are complete morons and sheep to be precise. I mean he certainly had his issues but to make fun of a guy for getting caught in a bad position while trying to avoid a rush is nothing short of stupidity since the guy was being pushed back in his direction. The Media Viewed Rex Ryan and this entire team as a joke so when that happened they jumped all over it and turned it into something it was not. Problem was the Idiot Jet fans who hated their own QB helped to fuel the fire and make fun of the same team they claim to support

This.

Jets management listens carefully to the fans through media.  They feel the winds blowing against Rex Ryan, he's out.  They feel the winds blowing against PSL's, they make 27,000 seats in the new stadium PSL-free.  Papers laugh at us and fans no-show at games, we tamper and steal Bill Parcells and Curtis Martin.

But it's okay, Smash.  The self-proclaimed "Jets geniuses 1 million times smarter than you" assure us that ejecting the best young quarterback prospect we've seen since Vietnam was the right thing to do for the franchise.  But don't mention that their beloved Rex Ryan is out of the league, Mike Tannenbaum is resurrecting the Dolphins, and the Jets revolving door of GM's, HC's, and QB's has put us in a death spiral until 2025.  It hurts their millennial-like safe space precious feelings.  They can't be wrong, you see.  They're one million times smarter than you.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Good grief (channeling our great poster Charlie Brown here). We actually have someone purporting to have greater football knowledge than others, pontificating on the supposed former greatness of Mark Sanchez. As we sit here in 2017, in a thread about young qbs and their comparison.

Truth can be stranger than fiction at times.

I purport nothing.  I'm just a fan.  One doesn't need 'great football knowledge' to see that the Jets suck since Mark Sanchez and his group of talented receiving and rushing targets left town and that the right call in 2012 was to fire Ryan, keep Sanchez, and rebuild the WR's, TE's and RB's so that the QB could be effective again.

That's called "common sense".  We haven't seen a QB as "good" as Mark Sanchez 2009-2011 since he left and it doesn't look like we're going to until 2020 at the earliest.  Enjoy.

SAR I

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hated the Hackenbrug pick from day, he was on my 'omg I hope we don't draft this guy' list.  I have very low hopes for him at all.  However I have no issue with the Jets not taking a QB this past year.  I simply think the crop of QBs for next year is much better.   I dislike the fact that we drafted two safeties, I don't care hoe good they are.  In a mostly offensive league the last few regimes can't resist the urge to go defense to appease the Dcentric head coach.

I won't miss Watson, Trubisky, Kizer, Mahommes next year if we have one of the top two or three QBs from that crop.

So you are saying that Saturdays performance doesn't give you hope that he will become a franchise guy?

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So you are saying that Saturdays performance doesn't give you hope that he will become a franchise guy?

No, not at all.  He scored zero points, he threw nothing down field.  Other than that he looked better than his rookie year.

If Hack limps along and is not totally awful and the Jets for that reason decide not to draft a Qb early next year then the Gm should be fired on the spot.  I'd fire him before he could make his 2nd round pick.

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's called "common sense".  

It's actually called an opinion. One that does not bear much weight, since Sanchez has moved on to other organizations and done less than others with equal talent. 

let's move away from this topic, as this is not what tis thread is about. You can continue it in the "way back machine" section of the site. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

well the one thing we got going for us is our RB's can now all catch the football unlike what we had in the Sanchez years when no one could catch the football out of the backfield easing the burden on him as a very young QB.

If Hack Shows he can be the next attempt at a franchise QB we need to build the OL and get a dynamic RB in here to open up this offense. We have some real promise at the WR position but with Forte being as old as he is and Powell always being an injury risk we need a RB that can do it all a Bell/Elliot/Johnson type that can be a real threat and take pressure off our young QB. Dak Prescott was the prime example of what a loaded offense and great RB can do for a QB something we have not had here since 2002 or 98 for that matter

You're right, not only do I like that all of our backs can catch. I love how all of them can pass block. As you stated, Forte is on his last legs, Powell always an injury risk, and McGuire still an unknown, although I do like his potential. Running back will be need to be addressed next draft hopefully.

Apart from that, I agree we need to build up a top oline. Draft, free agency, whatever it takes. 

We need a stud WR. This was supposed to be Enunwa's year to prove he was that guy. But who knows the extent long-term of his injury. A true #1 receiver is still needed next year.

If Hackenberg were to show enough to have us avoid drafting a QB in first round, I'd hope there would be a LT worth taking with one of our picks in the first two rounds. 

Draft another rb in middle rounds, sign a vet as well. 

Spend in fa on a wr to compete for the #1 spot. 

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I purport nothing.  I'm just a fan.  One doesn't need 'great football knowledge' to see that the Jets suck since Mark Sanchez and his group of talented receiving and rushing targets left town and that the right call in 2012 was to fire Ryan, keep Sanchez, and rebuild the WR's, TE's and RB's so that the QB could be effective again.

That's called "common sense".  We haven't seen a QB as "good" as Mark Sanchez 2009-2011 since he left and it doesn't look like we're going to until 2020 at the earliest.  Enjoy.

SAR I

Sar while I agree Sanchez was handled wrong I dont think the wait will be that long. I think Hackenberg can lead this franchise he has all the physical tools to be a superstar all we need to do is give him the chance to develop as a professional by starting him and taking it slowly with him. He proved Saturday that he could get the ball to his play makers now its going to come down to them making plays when they get the ball. If anyone on this board is expecting anything other than a true WC offense and cries when we don't throw deep 100 times a game then they are in for a rude awakening.

If Hackenberg Continues to play well in the pre season it would be Criminal if Bowles does not start right off the bat whne the season starts or at the very least 1 first quarter of the season.

I effort I saw on Defense Saturday was way way different then we saw last year with Slouches like Revis and Pryor just mailing it in. If our defense creates that much Havoc (8 Sacks) during the beginning of the year this team has a real chance to stick it in the Medias face and do much better than expected. If the Defense can hold the fort while the offense gets its house in order (probably Mid season) no telling how that can springboard this franchise going into next season.

IMHO this all rests on Bowles and how he handles the next 8 weeks.

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You're right, not only do I like that all of our backs can catch. I love how all of them can pass block. As you stated, Forte is on his last legs, Powell always an injury risk, and McGuire still an unknown, although I do like his potential. Running back will be need to be addressed next draft hopefully.

Apart from that, I agree we need to build up a top oline. Draft, free agency, whatever it takes. 

We need a stud WR. This was supposed to be Enunwa's year to prove he was that guy. But who knows the extent long-term of his injury. A true #1 receiver is still needed next year.

If Hackenberg were to show enough to have us avoid drafting a QB in first round, I'd hope there would be a LT worth taking with one of our picks in the first two rounds. 

Draft another rb in middle rounds, sign a vet as well. 

Spend in fa on a wr to compete for the #1 spot. 

Yep we seem to be on the same page. I think the guy who is going to emerge as a top WR is Peake I love the way he plays and hes not afraid to go up in traffic and pull down the tough receptions to move the chains. That being said hes not elite yet and I think the main thing is to get get that one proven elite guy who can move the chains Kind of like Keyshawn and also what Marshall did 2 years ago.

If by chance Hackenberg turns out to be "the guy" we need to get a top RB in next years draft then spend the rest of the picks on the O line and probably afew LB's and corners. I love the fact we can now supplement the draft and plug a few holes via Free Agency with 70-80 mil to spend

9 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

This is total bullsh*t!  Go back and watch the games that got them into the AFCCGs and the role that Sanchez had in getting them there.  Sanchez was absolutely central to those wins.

Total bullshlt?  You set your standards really low when giving Sanchez love for the little he had to do with getting the Jets to the postseason.  Sanchez went for the ride, he led no one.

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Yep we seem to be on the same page. I think the guy who is going to emerge as a top WR is Peake I love the way he plays and hes not afraid to go up in traffic and pull down the tough receptions to move the chains. That being said hes not elite yet and I think the main thing is to get get that one proven elite guy who can move the chains Kind of like Keyshawn and also what Marshall did 2 years ago.

If by chance Hackenberg turns out to be "the guy" we need to get a top RB in next years draft then spend the rest of the picks on the O line and probably afew LB's and corners. I love the fact we can now supplement the draft and plug a few holes via Free Agency with 70-80 mil to spend

That 80 mil to spend can go up even more if Mo doesn't earn his contract this year. Sheldon will ask for too much more than we will want to spend on him, and if Lawrence Thomas has a decent year, and Mo flops again. 

Mo and Sheldon could both be gone. So we can REALLY load up next year. Give Leo the $, and spend the rest spread across the team instead of two max DE's in a 3-4 system.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You self-appointed "football geniuses" know nothing.  If you did, you'd be right more than you are wrong and you aren't.  I've been reading you faux geniuses in the forums for years, you add nothing of value that a pair of eyeballs and some common sense can't tell the rest of us.  You were wrong about Sanchez when he was drafted and you were wrong about Sanchez when he was cut.  He performed better than anyone expected and his replacements have been worse.  The franchise thanks you for your service.  Such genius.  So million times.

SAR I

Wrong again.  I liked the pick when he was taken.  Defended the trade.  Don't tell me what I wanted and how wrong I was.  Pretty much every time you stray from PSL nonsense to your imaginary rich man existence you're wrong.  

No one expected the 5th pick in the draft to give us 2 years where he won 4 games by playing on a solid team.  The majority of his seasons as a NFL QB he sucked.  Here or elsewhere.  He sucked no matter the OC or the HC.  He sucked in NY, Philly, Denver and is soon to be out of work.  No matter how many ways you try to sweep those facts away he's proven himself to be a bad pick at 5.  Best is all the shlt you pile on Pennington, a QB when healthy a million times better than Sanchez.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Most Jets fans are Mets fans and the only thing they are really good at is criticizing others, making bad decisions, and creating snappy comebacks to counter the teasing at the water cooler.

These people who complain about the vanquished chant and lack of fan noise at MetLife Stadium are the same downtrodden fans who thought the best playoff quarterback in team history wasn't good enough.  Really?  Last time I checked, we're still using the same formula for winning that we did back then-  power running game, power defense.  And with those both in place, Mark Sanchez performed brilliantly for a kid no one compared to Peyton Manning as he was coming out of school and who by age 23 had achieved more than Todd, O'Brien, Esiason, Testaverde, or Pennington, these horrible quarterbacks who shriveled in the playoffs that the self-proclaimed "Jets geniuses" suddenly lick jock over.

SAR I

Didn't a rash of injuries bury the Jets in 2010 against the Indy Colts and Peyton Manning.  From what I recall Sanchez was relatively solid in that game, threw two TDs.   If it was not for the injuries on defense and offense we might have made it to the promised land. 

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks that a terrible quarterback can make it to consecutive Championship Games and that all it takes is a great defense to get there needs their heads examined.  Sanchez sometimes had weak stats, but his decision making was incredible for a 22 year old kid who should have been in a college dorm and not on national TV winning playoff games.  He played brilliantly at New England, biggest win in recent team history.  Audibles, protections, alignments, reads, he did a great job.

All I know is that in September of 2011 no one was worried about the Jets quarterback position.  Our youngster had passed every test, looked like the real thing, and had unlimited potential.  And then our GM and HC saw players like Tomlinson and Burress and Edwards and Richardson and Jones and Faneca and Woody leave due to age or salary and did nothing to replace them.  So blame Mark Sanchez for suddenly "regressing".  Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.  Those names had some of the best 2-year stretches in team history at those positions.  Replaced with dog sh*t.

SAR I

I remember that New England win, Fn awesome!  Sanchez took down the "Great" Tom Brady.  Bart Scott with his "Can't Wait" comment.  It gives me chills to think of what we became after that year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 10:16 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Being better than Fitz, Geno, and Hack is not really an accomplishment.  Plus he couldn't even win the Denver job that was handed to him on a platter.  Sanchez sucked.

7 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

So can we all (finally) agree that Hack isn't good enough to hold Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson's jock?

Or was this another A+ performance according to the diehard and deluded fans that can't accept this pick was a trainwreck of epic proportions?

A bit harsh considering he wasn't even a 1st rounder.  We mess up 2nd round picks with regularity so this one is really no different.

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A bit harsh considering he wasn't even a 1st rounder.  We mess up 2nd round picks with regularity so this one is really no different.

My point is it cost us one of these promising young qbs in this past draft. And yes, to me it's obvious that Tru, Watson and Mahomes are going to be players, as obvious as it was/is that Hack is a trainwreck.

And posters will point to 2018. I don't give a crap about 2018 right now. We missed on franchise guys this year. Always a "year away" as Jets fan. Maybe we just need abother red shirt year, lol, and we can all self-soothe telling ourselves it will be alright. 

3 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

My point is it cost us one of these promising young qbs in this past draft. And yes, to me it's obvious that Tru, Watson and Mahomes are going to be players, as obvious as it was/is that Hack is a trainwreck.

And posters will point to 2018. I don't give a crap about 2018 right now. We missed on franchise guys this year. Always a "year away" as Jets fan. Maybe we just need abother red shirt year, lol, and we can all self-soothe telling ourselves it will be alright. 

It's "a little early" to say that (to say the least!)

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's "a little early" to say that (to say the least!)

Just as it was "too early" when we said Hack was a bust last year?  Or before Hack was even drafted? Because I was all over that way back when. (Not bragging)

I am willing to bet anyone that at least 2 out of the 3 of Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes becomes 5+ year starters in the NFL. Sometimes it's not that hard to spot legitimate talent. Just as it is equally easy to spot hot garbage.  I'm not touting myself for GM of the century, the qualifications ends at having two eyes and allowing myself not to be blinded by fan glasses. 

Just now, Pointdexter said:

Just as it was "too early" when we said Hack was a bust last year?  Or before Hack was even drafted? Because I was all over that way back when. (Not bragging)

I am willing to bet anyone that at least 2 out of the 3 of Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes becomes 5+ year starters in the NFL. Sometimes it's not that hard to spot legitimate talent. Just as it is equally easy to spot hot garbage.  I'm not touting myself for GM of the century, the qualifications ends at having two eyes and allowing myself not to be blinded by fan glasses. 

Before, it was "And yes, to me it's obvious that Tru, Watson and Mahomes are going to be players, as obvious as it was/is that Hack is a trainwreck."  Now it's "at least 2 out of 3"?

Archived