If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Pointdexter

Lol, you're arguing pointless semantics and I'm not sure why. No payoff in that other than to antagonize.

Bottom line is we would be way better off if we drafted one of the young qbs, instead of putting our marbles in Hack's "redshirt" year. Even if only 2 out of 3 pan out, that's 66% more of a chance of having a franchise QB than we currently have.

Nice chatting with you though, going to bed now.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2017 at 6:58 AM, Pointdexter said:

If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Macc and company are 100% on the hook if any of the guys AFTER the Jets drafted at 6 turn out to be decent NFL starting QBs.  I won't count Trubisky but Watson, Mahomes, Kizer......ABSOLUTELY.

I like Jamal Adams but c'mon.  We're talking about QBs here.....If you think a guy has a better than 50% of becoming a longterm starter then you take him!  Surely the Jets QB scouts had to think at least 1 of those 3 guys has the potential.

2 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Lol, you're arguing pointless semantics and I'm not sure why. No payoff in that other than to antagonize.

Bottom line is we would be way better off if we drafted one of the young qbs, instead of putting our marbles in Hack's "redshirt" year. Even if only 2 out of 3 pan out, that's 66% more of a having a franchise QB than we currently have.

Nice chatting with you though, going to bed now.

And everyone knew this was a rebuilding year.  It was the perfect opportunity to take a young QB like Watson or Mahomes.  The Jets could jettison Petty and go into the year with McCown as starter with Hack and Watson battling for 2nd.  Again, I like Jamal Adams but we could have just taken a Safety in the 2nd round......oh.......wait.....we did.

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

And everyone knew this was a rebuilding year.  It was the perfect opportunity to take a young QB like Watson or Mahomes.  The Jets could jettison Petty and go into the year with McCown as starter with Hack and Watson battling for 2nd.  Again, I like Jamal Adams but we could have just taken a Safety in the 2nd round......oh.......wait.....we did.

Why would we jettison Petty and keep Hack? That's insanity.

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

So can we all (finally) agree that Hack isn't good enough to hold Trubisky/Mahomes/Watson's jock?

Or was this another A+ performance according to the diehard and deluded fans that can't accept this pick was a trainwreck of epic proportions?

Stats only and I'm not sure who started (I think Kizer did)

Kizer 6-18  1 INT 

Watson 11-21 116  1 INT 

Mahomes 8-15 70 yards. 

Goff 5-8 56 yards 1 INT 

Becoming a very good/good NFL QB takes time. 

Doesn't matter which QB we draft, the results will be the same when our sugar shack HC's lazy-ass technique for developing a starter is to let the kids sort it out.  

Bowles said all along the QB situation will "determine itself and work itself out." Half-baked coaching produces half-baked results. It's not on Macc. 

Our QBs were developed by 6-team hack (Fitz) and 9-team hack (McCown). When hacks keep winning the starting job the problem is coaching.

20 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Doesn't matter which QB we draft, the results will be the same when our sugar shack HC's lazy-ass technique for developing a starter is to let the kids sort it out.  

Bowles is horrible garbage but that is no excuse.  What great qb's did Belichick ever develop as a DC before, or after Brady? 

DeShone Kizer clinched the Browns starting quarterback job Saturday night by passing his last big test in the dress rehearsal game here against the Bucs, sources told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Kizer's number weren't great in the 13-9 victory, including a 28.2 rating, but he showed Jackson enough to beat out Brock Osweiler and Cody Kessler for the job and earn the opening day start against Pittsburgh Sept. 10 at FirstEnergy Stadium.

"I feel comfortable with him,'' Jackson said after the third preseason game here. "He has the right feel for me and for what I'm looking for.''

Jackson will make the announcement today, after he sits down with the quarterbacks and explains his decision. He might even shake up the room a bit and promote Kevin Hogan ahead of Kessler after Hogan, who earned a 98.9 rating, engineered the fourth-quarter comeback in the pouring rain.

"I need to talk to all of our guys and be very forthcoming and upfront with the guys about where we are,'' he said.

So it appears that Hackenberg was a whiff. OK.  But to say that the Jets should have drafted Watson or Trubisky or Kizer is just plain ridiculous.  If the Jets did not see franchise QB in any of the three (and that is not surprising because there were doubt about all three) then why compound a mistake???  The best thing for the Jets to do would be win 0-2 games this year and draft someone they believe will be a franchise QB.  Trubisky does not have enough college starts to be successful in the NFL (see Sanchez).  Watson doesn't have the arm and just doesn't look like his ceiling is any higher than average NFL starter.  Kizer is a huge question mark who looked horrible last season.

Let's see how this plays out.  I just hope that the Jets don' blow it again by winning 4-6 games with two future studs at QB coming out and Buffalo with a ton of picks to move up if the Jets don't finish in a spot to draft either Darnold or Allen or Buffalo and Cleveland or SF are worse.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why would we jettison Petty and keep Hack? That's insanity.

Agree, but I was speaking from the perspective of last April when all signs pointed to a rising Hack trajectory and a middling Petty whose upside seems to be mediocre backup.  At that time, I'd rather have a 2017 insurance policy of McCown and swing for the fences with a Hack vs. Watson competition.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree, but I was speaking from the perspective of last April when all signs pointed to a rising Hack trajectory and a middling Petty whose upside seems to be mediocre backup.  At that time, I'd rather have a 2017 insurance policy of McCown and swing for the fences with a Hack vs. Watson competition.

I've yet to see evidence of a "rising trajectory" for Hack.  Not since the day the kid got here.

This is I think a good example of why I try and ignore both the media (hype!) and Coach Speak (hot air).

On the facts, Hack has been a clear cut bust since the day he arrived.  Only talk implies he might be "getting better" thus far.

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

Stats only and I'm not sure who started (I think Kizer did)

Kizer 6-18  1 INT 

Watson 11-21 116  1 INT 

Mahomes 8-15 70 yards. 

Goff 5-8 56 yards 1 INT 

Becoming a very good/good NFL QB takes time. 

Kevin Fishbain (@kfishbain)

8/27/17, 4:10 PM

Mitch Trubisky with the 1st team: 3/6 for 33 yards, passer rating of 66.7

Trubisky with the reserves: 7/9 for 95 yards, TD, rating of 147.7

Archived