A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

JohnnyLV

I have to be honest, I can't really imagine a better first preseason game performance than what Hack did tonight. And I think he outplayed McClown who heaved a ball as far as he could and Anderson made a great adjustment, but otherwise looked exactly what he is: Fitz 3.0.

In tonights game Hack:

1. Showed good footwork

2. Showed good pocket awareness, and ability to scan field for open receiver which improved as game went along

3. Was VERY accurate. His throws were consistently almost perfect in placement and timing. Also, it wasn't as dink and dunky as it seemed as he effortlessly through a couple far hash to sideline outs and made them look like dump offs

4. Showed elite, explosive arm strength. Maybe Top 5 in the NFL

5. Had a very very fast release. Not Rodgers-esque but in the upper echelon of NFL QBs

6. Showed the ability to line people up at the line of scrimmage, so his knowledge of the playbook is coming along

7. Was let down by drive killing penalties and drops

8. Actually threw the ball away. Who was the last Jets QB to actually do that. Geno literally never understood the concept even as he was running towards out of bounds, Fitz would just throw a jump ball and hope, Sanchez would take a sack....I was really impressed with that

9. Looked poised and calm and like he belongs

Were there things he needs to work on?

Of course. He needs to:

1. Get in and out of the huddle better and faster

2. Recognize and decipher defensive looks better

3. Throw the ball down field to open up the running time

All of these things will come with experience. I thought he looked every bit as good as the other young QBs being highlighted in the preseason games.

What more could you ask, with the limited practice and system install in place at this time?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a C sounds better. This is a positive step for him, but for me calling that game an A+ makes me think I'm okay with him where he's at.

I'm not, and frankly I don't think the coaches and Hack are either. It was competent, its a step up from last year where he didn't look playable but he has so much more to prove.

This was a B. C is too low, A is too high.

He looked good but it was very conservative. No interceptions was a good first step. Some drops hurt him, the botched snap killed the last drive.

Good first step, next week he needs to get in the end zone.

Let him start next game and work with the first stringers in practice.  While I wouldn't give this an A there were major improvements from last season in the few preseason snaps he took.  

I'd rather find out this guy can be QB of the future rather than tank and take a gamble that some guy we draft will be.  

This glimpse of light, slight as it may be, brings tears to my eyes. The wait for the ONE has been so long. I'll give Hack a solid C+. He already looks more composed than Geno and has 3x the arm of the bearded wonder. Hopefully, next week the progress continues and they let him throw downfield. Its a great day to be green, and the new board looks awesome!

Was the dinking and dunking what the coaches wanted? Or was he consistently dumping off on his own? Hard to give him a fair grade without knowing that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the coaches decision. Don't know who to point the finger at for the botched snap. The team around him isn't good, but he still has to manage to get some points. 

No TDs and a turnover is no A+, though. 

Depending on who was at fault for that snap fumble, I'd give him a B. Why? Steady, no major mistakes, likely followed the plan as given by the coaches and seemed comfortable in his role. A growth step. Petty looked like crap, but I'll give him a mulligan for playing with some stiffs in the 4th. Glad Hack got a number of reps so we could actually see his progression.

I agree with max, a B. No picks was great. Scoring zero points on 8 drives is not good at all. He was victimized by some terrible drops that would have been driving extending first downs. He was very accurate and decisive. He  took one sack and that was on a blown play. Definitely encouraging and something to build off. Needs to get the ball in the end zone next week.

B- I've hear some nonsense on the board on the game thread.

Positives

High percentage compilation looked accurate 18/25 72% (so much from Dick Cinimi

Did not throw an interception.

Impressed on his first real outing.

Making second reads.

Negatives

Vanilla Offence.

Played is very safe.

Fumbling (snap may not have been his fault?)

I think he did OK. I'd like them to open it up more in Pre-Season wk 2.

McCown had a  perfect night, 3-4 with a TD a 1 drop. There's no reasonable measure where Hack played better than McCown. 

I suspect the coaches were working on Hack getting rid of it quickly and short. That's WCO 101. 

There's a reason why mcCown is QB1 and it's not because the coaches are dumb

heres whats going to happen McCown plays until the week 10 bye or he gets hurt.  Hack fans I hope you like seeing shots of your boy in a hat holding a clippy for a couple months

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

McCown had a  perfect night, 3-4 with a TD a 1 drop. There's no reasonable measure where Hack played better than McCown. 

I suspect the coaches were working on Hack getting rid of it quickly and short. That's WCO 101. 

heres whats going to happen McCown plays until the week 10 bye or he gets hurt.  Hack fans I hope you like seeing shots of your boy in a hat holding a clippy for a couple months

If that's what happens, then the coaches are dumb. Job #1 this season has to be QB evaluation - for better or worse. 

Just now, gEYno said:

Is sitting on the bench all year behind Josh McCown not an evaluation?

Correct, that would not be an evaluation. 

If they want to use McCown to break in the offense for a month, I could deal with that. The running game was terrible last night, and the OL could use some gelling time. But I want to see Hackenberg in there by week #5 against Cleveland, even if it means him getting killed by the Cheats the following week. It's his best chance to debut as a pro with a win, and if he sucks, it gives the team a better shot at #1 overall. Win-win. 

Glib comments are counter productive and frankly there are way too many on this board these days.  I tire of fans bashing their own team.  This thread is about Hack who looked good and not points which are based on the entire offense. 

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Is he not "your boy"?  It's clear he's next QB in line for this franchise at this time, i'm curious why you would be against him playing?

Dink and dunk is fine if it works, look at NE lol they rarely throw the ball over 10yds. The line definitely didn't help hack + playing without Forte and Powell really held our running game back

A+? IDK about that.  Depends what the bench mark is.  If the bench mark was his performance last season, yeah I guess it was an A+.  If the bench mark was a starting NFL QB, got to go with a C.

He was vastly improved, but in all honesty he didn't put up any points in I think, 8 possessions .  The OL surprised me and he got excellent protection, should have gotten some points.  Of course could have been the game plan.  

They need to stop screwing around with the McCown as the starter nonsense.  Even if Mac has to step in and convince Bowles that if Hack can function, he must start.  Next week Hack should get all the Reps with the 1's, and a good part of the snaps next week, with a full game plan.  His strong point should be throwing up-field, that needs to be a part of the game plan.  Robby is starting to look legit, use him

I would love to see them cut him loose next week and really let him launch the ball down the field a few times before they sit robby anderson and let the second string in. I like that he spread the ball around well and he looked fairly accurate but I am not sold that he is ready to be our day one starter yet, as much as I hate to say it and I know no one wants to hear it McCown put on a better show in his one drive and if we are playing our best players and genuinely trying to win as many games we can this season then McCown probably would start.

I think he played well. It was not all world but he was not expected to.
His short passes were very good ...struggled heavily with that in college

Very high completion percentage. Would have been higher had his receivers not had really bad drops. Hack did not have one, not one established receiver except Robbie Anderson if you want to call him that.

Things to remember....Hack got no help from his non existent running game.

Hacks strong point his is throwing strength and down field throws. I'm certain they gave him a limited field to work with and to give him a positive experience before opening things up... Mission accomplished.

Now that he has a good game under his belt and has shown short field accuracy we will see some downfield attempts next week. Hopefully we can have some Bilal Powell in there and give him a running game the other team has to account for.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Hack did indeed look better than last year.  No run game (3rd string running back) did hurt and so did a few drops but the announcers said he most likely had a deep, medium, and short passing option on most plays so maybe he was a little conservative but hey, it's his first game.  I would give him a B- because without that first scoring drive, we would have lost the game.

Im really surprised people are giving him a C for last night, it was a performance on par with what Watson and Trubisky did, and those guys have been worshipped for the past few days.

Anyway, I think Morton/Bates actually have a plan for Hack and last night was step 1.  Why should they "turn him loose" in preseason game 1?  Its much smarter to have him with 20+ live game reps on tape with throws that focus on footwork and accuracy, even if they are "easy throws".  They can then add to that over the next practices and 2/3 preseason games, adding more to his game in an organized way.  

The biggest takeaway IMO is how elite Hack's physical skills are, the ball literally zips out of his hand and should he eventually develop, he would be a QB that can truly test the defense on the entire field.  We still have no idea if his accuracy will develop, but for all the Mac haters who say we "wasted a second round pick", if you look at it objectively, you have to see how elite his physical skill set is, which is why Mac made the pick.  

Great first step, definitely a performance to build on - game 2 should be very entertaining.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

55 minutes ago, slats said:

If that's what happens, then the coaches are dumb. Job #1 this season has to be QB evaluation - for better or worse. 

I haven't seen the game yet, but if Hack really showed the ability to call a play, get the play off, and can simply string together some positive plays, he's got to be in there even if he's not producing points. Fans and his teammates will hate it, but if he's not outright embarrassing the team, that's good enough for now. 

Archived