A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

JohnnyLV

I think we have to remember Hack probably had nightmares of last preseason and also the media in his ear. I think the playcalling and short plays with no downfield attempts is all about just giving him confidence and using his new skills (footwork) against another team.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen the game yet, but if Hack really showed the ability to call a play, get the play off, and can simply string together some positive plays, he's got to be in there even if he's not producing points. Fans and his teammates will hate it, but if he's not outright embarrassing the team, that's good enough for now. 

Wow....I'm impressed.

Hack is definitely progressing, he looked more comfortable and had a nice zip on his throws. I hope he continues to progress. I watched all of his throws again and he still locks on to his first read.  I think it was a good game plan for him and was good for his confidence. He is still a work in progress and I am looking forward to see him down the stretch. I give him a C+.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

McCown had a  perfect night, 3-4 with a TD a 1 drop. There's no reasonable measure where Hack played better than McCown. 

I suspect the coaches were working on Hack getting rid of it quickly and short. That's WCO 101. 

There's a reason why mcCown is QB1 and it's not because the coaches are dumb

heres whats going to happen McCown plays until the week 10 bye or he gets hurt.  Hack fans I hope you like seeing shots of your boy in a hat holding a clippy for a couple months

Considering one got drafted 15 years ago and the other one started kindergarten I'm ok with the difference in skill set. For now. 

13 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Wow....I'm impressed.

I should also add that McCown is going to start and Hack needs to keep it together when he's asked to throw it beyond five yards, where the donuts get made.

Hack is definitely progressing, he looked more comfortable and had a nice zip on his throws. I hope he continues to progress. I watched all of his throws again and he still locks on to his first read.  I think it was a good game plan for him and was good for his confidence. He is still a work in progress and I am looking forward to see him down the stretch. I give him a C+.

I agree very much so. I didn't mind the dink and dunk playcalling at all...he really had problems with that before and it shows he's past that. Progress. I know it's early but I remember watching Brady in his first season...it was all sink and dunk. Every throw. Not saying anything lol. Hack showed composure and looks like the game slowed down a bit. He's got a way to go but with this season having low expectations it's a great opportunity.

I think these quotes sum it up perfectly:

“The fight as a young player is to not press and go, ‘Man, I need to go make that throw or go do that,’” McCown said. “He stayed within the system. When you do that, then you can really grow into becoming a more consistent player.”

“(For) every rookie coming into the NFL (in) your first experience, you don’t really know to expect,” Hackenberg said. “It’s a totally different game, a totally different feel. I think just being able to go through everything that happened last year and learn and see and watch and observe and grow… helped.”

Hackenberg completed his first five passes before a drop by Jalin Marshall.

“I think (for) anyone playing that position at this level,” Hackenberg said, “Being able to stack some wins early… helps you kind of get in rhythm and get in the flow of the game. Getting the ball out quick. Seeing the defense. Understanding when they’re going to give us those shots (and) when they’re not.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/christian-hackenberg-shows-promise-preseason-opener-article-1.3407045

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

You are what your offensive production says you are.   7 points

This. The only reason you don't get a failing grade is because you completed most of your dinks n dunks, didn't throw an int and too much negative has been said yet he showed a sign of life. 

If this was Week 1 and he put up zero points, he will get an F from me even if he throws for 300 yards. I'd rather he throws for 150 yards n 2 TDs, 0 ints and 24+ points instead. 

I should also add that McCown is going to start and Hack will implode when he's forced to throw it beyond five yards, where the donuts get made.

Ah damn, I knew it wouldn't last long but you do make a good point which I think will be more of a strong point of his. He will just have to keep the interceptions in check. What he will struggle with is his lack of proven receivers minus Robbie Anderson ...and maybe ASJ.

1 minute ago, nicg4360 said:

I agree very much so. I didn't mind the dink and dunk playcalling at all...he really had problems with that before and it shows he's past that. Progress. I know it's early but I remember watching Brady in his first season...it was all sink and dunk. Every throw. Not saying anything lol. Hack showed composure and looks like the game slowed down a bit. He's got a way to go but with this season having low expectations it's a great opportunity.

for the most part it still is....

The WCO is for lack of a better phrase, dink and dunk, and you take your shots down the field when the opportunity presents itself. 

Baby steps...for all last night..OL, WRs, TEs & Hack. Development is a slow process and requires time and patience. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Was the dinking and dunking what the coaches wanted? Or was he consistently dumping off on his own? Hard to give him a fair grade without knowing that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the coaches decision. Don't know who to point the finger at for the botched snap. The team around him isn't good, but he still has to manage to get some points. 

No TDs and a turnover is no A+, though. 

Bowles said in post game he made mostly the right reads.  That a bunch of his plays had a receiver going long or medium as primary and he looked off when covered and took the right read underneath.  I think the coaches are happy with his 1/2 decision making.  Probably now looking to expand the playbook and get that decision making a little faster and add in 1/2/3 then checkdown.  

I'd give him a solid B b/c I think he went out and mostly executed exactly the game script the coaches wanted him to do, even to the point of not pushing him through a 2 min script yet.

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

What more can we ask for? More than 5 YPA and not staring down receivers

How do you stare down receivers on a 3 step drop?  1,2,3 throw.....and they were completed passes. 

"Morton, making his maiden voyage as an NFL play-caller, dialed up plenty of three-step drops designed to get the ball out of Hackenberg’s hand fast. This version of the west coast scheme was safe… and boring"

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Bowles said in post game he made mostly the right reads.  That a bunch of his plays had a receiver going long or medium as primary and he looked off when covered and took the right read underneath.  I think the coaches are happy with his 1/2 decision making.  Probably now looking to expand the playbook and get that decision making a little faster and add in 1/2/3 then checkdown.  

I'd give him a solid B b/c I think he went out and mostly executed exactly the game script the coaches wanted him to do, even to the point of not pushing him through a 2 min script yet.

Hack was better throwing downfield in college and had trouble with the shorter passes, so last night's accuracy was encouraging.  He also hasn't played in a game in an entire year, something none of these other qbs we're watching on other teams have had to deal with.  This is the first time hack has been able to be hit in a year, and he avoided the rush well.  Give him Anderson running downfield and he'll look better still.

Some of those outs were a thing of beauty! No air under the ball! You can spread thesh*t out of the field if you can throw outs like that!

Hey, here's an idea, let's give him the type of time Matt Ryan has had to put things together. Slow & steady baby with the same OC & QB coach is the way to success for Hackenberg.

While I would have loved to see him sling it downfield a bit, this showed a glimpse into his progress more than that would have, in my opinion.

Hack was always fairly adept at stretching the field.  His big issues were short and intermediate accuracy.  Whether it's enough improvement to make a difference in the long run remains to be seen, but it's clear he has improved his mechanics and accuracy, to some degree.

4 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

I really liked the zip he put on the ball..especially those early out routes.

Not too many shots down the field, and I think that will be our season in a nutshell due to below average O-Line and bargain bin receivers that won't get much separation. 

I don't think we watched the same OLine last night.  The pass protection was very good I thought.  Run blocking was a different story

I too was very impressed with Hack last night, and so happy he looked like he belongs. The only way he will improve is if the game starts to slow down for him. How will that happen? B Y P L A Y I N G. I am ok with McCown starting the season, but they will have to get Hack in there sooner than later to actually see if he can be our guy.

15 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't think we watched the same OLine last night.  The pass protection was very good I thought.  Run blocking was a different story

To me..Hack seemed to rush his throws most of his time on the field..I never felt he had a clean pocket to step into a big throw. Maybe that was the plan though..just have him get the ball out quick.

This was not an A performance, but it was about as good as you could have expected. If not for a holding and a couple of key drops he could have easily had a scoring drive. The coaching staff clearly had a mission for this game which was for Hack to go for the high percentage passes and not try to force things to get a meaningless TD. I expect they will slowly open things up for him as the preseason goes on. Either way, if he is just a game manager in his first few games, that is more than acceptable. 

It was far better than many expected, but clearly an "A+" is a tad bit hyperbole for a QB who played almost three full quarters and led no long drives and scored no points, not even a decent-length FG try.

That's not criticism, but the hype should remain in low-gear as yet.  Take last night at the huge positive step it was, lets not blow it up with phrases like "top 5 arm in NFL" or the like.

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This was not an A performance, but it was about as good as you could have expected. If not for a holding and a couple of key drops he could have easily had a scoring drive. The coaching staff clearly had a mission for this game which was for Hack to go for the high percentage passes and not try to force things to get a meaningless TD. I expect they will slowly open things up for him as the preseason goes on. Either way, if he is just a game manager in his first few games, that is more than acceptable. 

Thank you...

And that modest mission was an important one, since everyone including fans out here and reporters have been saying that Hack is and was INACCURATE (he can't throw a ball in the ocean , Penn State sucking etc.) and now he has had a game (in real game action), in which he had over 70% completions with significant and telling drops and folks still criticize him.

Ummmm nuts...

There is plenty to critique concerning Hack, but the fact that he has improved and he obviously did what the coaches wanted, in a new offense, is not one of them.

Jets quarterback competition looking just how they planned it

August 13, 2017 | 12:23am

Josh McCown shouts out directions from the line Saturday during the Jets' 7-3 win over the Titans in their first preseason game.Getty Images

MORE FROM:

GEORGE WILLIS

Thanks to one play Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, the Jets quarterback competition is shaping up just the way they want it. Thanks to one play Josh McCown is still the front-runner to be the starter in the season opener with Christian Hackenberg looking like a reliable backup.

If you’re thinking about the Jets’ short-term survival and long-term possibilities, that is the way you want this training camp competition to end up. McCown might not be the Jets’ quarterback of the future, but based on one play in Saturday night’s 7-3 preseason win over the Titans he is the best choice for right now.

The play came on the Jets’ first offensive series of the game, when both teams had their starters on the field and were eager for some competition after spending the first two weeks of training camp hitting teammates.

On the fifth play, a second-and-11 from the Jets 45, McCown dropped back for his second pass of the drive. Robby Anderson, the speedy second-year receiver from Temple, had lined up wide right. He already was at full speed, racing down the field past Titans cornerback Logan Ryan and safety Kevin Byard by the time McCown threw his rainbow.

ADVERTISING

McCown lofted a high tight spiral that Anderson caught in stride just over his right shoulder. The gain would be 53 yards, giving the Jets a first down at the Tennessee 2. 

“It was a great throw,” Anderson said. “I just ran straight up the field and Josh put it on the money.”

SEE ALSO

Three plays later, the Jets scored their only touchdown of the game on a 4-yard TD pass from McCown to second-year receiver Charone Peake.

For those wondering how the Jets were going to score touchdowns this year, that is how: Throw it deep to Anderson and hope for the best. 

“Speed is a premium in this league and he has it in droves,” McCown said of Anderson. “He can really roll. When you have that kind of speed, the sky’s the limit.”

The eight-play 78-yard scoring drive was McCown’s only series of the night, another indication the Jets see him as the starter. He completed just three of four passes overall for 72 yards and the touchdown for a hefty quarterback rating of 156.2. The remainder of the first half and deep into the third quarter belonged to Christian Hackenberg, who was taking his first real steps toward proving he can manage an NFL offense.

All eyes were on Hackenberg, who in his second-year needs to prove he is worth the investment to be groomed as a starter. Though it was bombs away when McCown was in, the playcalling was much more conservative with Hackenberg running the offense.

The Jets ran the ball more than they threw it, perhaps wanting to get a good look at running backs Romar Morris and Elijah McGuire. When Hackenberg did throw it, the passes were usually low risk. One of his few deep throws sailed well over the head of Frankie Hammond late in the second quarter. Another deep toss to Hammond in the third quarter easily was defended.

Modal Triggerchristian_hackenberg2.jpg?quality=90&str
Christian Hackenberg throws a pass Saturday.Getty Images

Hackenberg would finish 18-of-25 for 127 yards before giving way to Bryce Petty late in the third quarter. There were plenty of things to like about Hackenberg. He stood tall in the pocket and didn’t show happy feet. He had command of the huddle and didn’t panic under pressure. There was one glaring mistake.: a fumbled snap from center late in the third quarter ruined a promising drive. Otherwise, it was a decent start with plenty of room for growth. Hackenberg still needs to improve every game, every practice, and every rep.

That is why McCown is the proper choice to be the starting quarterback for the season opener. The 15-year veteran gives the Jets the best chance to win, the best chance to connect with Anderson on the kind of big play that can change momentum and win games.

As much as the Jets tried to establish a running game Saturday night, they will need their share of big plays to score points. McCown-to-Anderson gives them the best chance to do so.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I will give Hack a strong C, Petty disappointed but was playing with a scrub o-line.  Still should have drafted Watson.

We should've drafted Watson at 6?

Btw, I saw neither the Jets nor the Texans preseason games.

You guys do realize Hackenberg with some backups & Morris and Todman at RB right? Lol. Bit different than Powell & Forte if they were healthy. McGuire looked real good & made some nice yards for McCown on some bounce outs beating the defenders to the edges. He could be our Leon Washington.

I give it a B

I really liked the fact there were no "deer in the headlights" moments, and he scrambled away from a sack and has a really strong arm and was generally acccurate.

I didn't like the wasted timeouts, and 2 throws lead the target into trouble, in a real game probably would have been huge hits.

It was pretty obvious to me the game plan was to get him a ton of completions just to get a good feeling, too bad they never got into scoring range.  Seemed like all night he started at the 20.

You have to walk before you can fly. Hack looked decent. Much better than the last time on the field. What needs to happen is improvement next time out and so on. McCown made a decent throw on the long play and they moved the ball well. All in all it was better than I thought it would be. You can't expect much the first time out and I look forward to them stretching out the offense in Detroit. Can't wait to go and see some live football! Football is back baby!

You give him most of the snaps this pre-season and the starts. He needs the work and at the same time you don't want to overexpose McCown and get him injured. If Hack does play this  season it will be with a reduced playbook which isn't a knock on him but usually the case with a young starter. They did it with Mark Sanchez. And it worked. Just because he ran the offense satisfactorily last night without making too many mistakes isn't enough. You have to do more than that. So you hope in the next three games we see him showing the ability to move the offense. He's been here long enough to expect that kind of progress. I give him an Incomplete for last night. 

Archived