johnnysd

A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

The one pass that really stands out for me in a positive way  is the medium throw to Marquis.  It had zip and was placed only where the receiver could catch it.

Im really surprised people are giving him a C for last night, it was a performance on par with what Watson and Trubisky did, and those guys have been worshipped for the past few days.

Anyway, I think Morton/Bates actually have a plan for Hack and last night was step 1.  Why should they "turn him loose" in preseason game 1?  Its much smarter to have him with 20+ live game reps on tape with throws that focus on footwork and accuracy, even if they are "easy throws".  They can then add to that over the next practices and 2/3 preseason games, adding more to his game in an organized way.  

The biggest takeaway IMO is how elite Hack's physical skills are, the ball literally zips out of his hand and should he eventually develop, he would be a QB that can truly test the defense on the entire field.  We still have no idea if his accuracy will develop, but for all the Mac haters who say we "wasted a second round pick", if you look at it objectively, you have to see how elite his physical skill set is, which is why Mac made the pick.  

Great first step, definitely a performance to build on - game 2 should be very entertaining.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

McCown had a  perfect night, 3-4 with a TD a 1 drop. There's no reasonable measure where Hack played better than McCown. 

I suspect the coaches were working on Hack getting rid of it quickly and short. That's WCO 101. 

There's a reason why mcCown is QB1 and it's not because the coaches are dumb

heres whats going to happen McCown plays until the week 10 bye or he gets hurt.  Hack fans I hope you like seeing shots of your boy in a hat holding a clippy for a couple months

55 minutes ago, slats said:

If that's what happens, then the coaches are dumb. Job #1 this season has to be QB evaluation - for better or worse. 

I haven't seen the game yet, but if Hack really showed the ability to call a play, get the play off, and can simply string together some positive plays, he's got to be in there even if he's not producing points. Fans and his teammates will hate it, but if he's not outright embarrassing the team, that's good enough for now. 

I think we have to remember Hack probably had nightmares of last preseason and also the media in his ear. I think the playcalling and short plays with no downfield attempts is all about just giving him confidence and using his new skills (footwork) against another team.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

I haven't seen the game yet, but if Hack really showed the ability to call a play, get the play off, and can simply string together some positive plays, he's got to be in there even if he's not producing points. Fans and his teammates will hate it, but if he's not outright embarrassing the team, that's good enough for now. 

Wow....I'm impressed.

Hack is definitely progressing, he looked more comfortable and had a nice zip on his throws. I hope he continues to progress. I watched all of his throws again and he still locks on to his first read.  I think it was a good game plan for him and was good for his confidence. He is still a work in progress and I am looking forward to see him down the stretch. I give him a C+.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

McCown had a  perfect night, 3-4 with a TD a 1 drop. There's no reasonable measure where Hack played better than McCown. 

I suspect the coaches were working on Hack getting rid of it quickly and short. That's WCO 101. 

There's a reason why mcCown is QB1 and it's not because the coaches are dumb

heres whats going to happen McCown plays until the week 10 bye or he gets hurt.  Hack fans I hope you like seeing shots of your boy in a hat holding a clippy for a couple months

Considering one got drafted 15 years ago and the other one started kindergarten I'm ok with the difference in skill set. For now. 

13 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Wow....I'm impressed.

I should also add that McCown is going to start and Hack needs to keep it together when he's asked to throw it beyond five yards, where the donuts get made.

Hack is definitely progressing, he looked more comfortable and had a nice zip on his throws. I hope he continues to progress. I watched all of his throws again and he still locks on to his first read.  I think it was a good game plan for him and was good for his confidence. He is still a work in progress and I am looking forward to see him down the stretch. I give him a C+.

I agree very much so. I didn't mind the dink and dunk playcalling at all...he really had problems with that before and it shows he's past that. Progress. I know it's early but I remember watching Brady in his first season...it was all sink and dunk. Every throw. Not saying anything lol. Hack showed composure and looks like the game slowed down a bit. He's got a way to go but with this season having low expectations it's a great opportunity.

I think these quotes sum it up perfectly:

“The fight as a young player is to not press and go, ‘Man, I need to go make that throw or go do that,’” McCown said. “He stayed within the system. When you do that, then you can really grow into becoming a more consistent player.”

“(For) every rookie coming into the NFL (in) your first experience, you don’t really know to expect,” Hackenberg said. “It’s a totally different game, a totally different feel. I think just being able to go through everything that happened last year and learn and see and watch and observe and grow… helped.”

Hackenberg completed his first five passes before a drop by Jalin Marshall.

“I think (for) anyone playing that position at this level,” Hackenberg said, “Being able to stack some wins early… helps you kind of get in rhythm and get in the flow of the game. Getting the ball out quick. Seeing the defense. Understanding when they’re going to give us those shots (and) when they’re not.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/christian-hackenberg-shows-promise-preseason-opener-article-1.3407045

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

You are what your offensive production says you are.   7 points

This. The only reason you don't get a failing grade is because you completed most of your dinks n dunks, didn't throw an int and too much negative has been said yet he showed a sign of life. 

If this was Week 1 and he put up zero points, he will get an F from me even if he throws for 300 yards. I'd rather he throws for 150 yards n 2 TDs, 0 ints and 24+ points instead. 

I should also add that McCown is going to start and Hack will implode when he's forced to throw it beyond five yards, where the donuts get made.

Ah damn, I knew it wouldn't last long but you do make a good point which I think will be more of a strong point of his. He will just have to keep the interceptions in check. What he will struggle with is his lack of proven receivers minus Robbie Anderson ...and maybe ASJ.

1 minute ago, nicg4360 said:

I agree very much so. I didn't mind the dink and dunk playcalling at all...he really had problems with that before and it shows he's past that. Progress. I know it's early but I remember watching Brady in his first season...it was all sink and dunk. Every throw. Not saying anything lol. Hack showed composure and looks like the game slowed down a bit. He's got a way to go but with this season having low expectations it's a great opportunity.

for the most part it still is....

The WCO is for lack of a better phrase, dink and dunk, and you take your shots down the field when the opportunity presents itself. 

Baby steps...for all last night..OL, WRs, TEs & Hack. Development is a slow process and requires time and patience. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Was the dinking and dunking what the coaches wanted? Or was he consistently dumping off on his own? Hard to give him a fair grade without knowing that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the coaches decision. Don't know who to point the finger at for the botched snap. The team around him isn't good, but he still has to manage to get some points. 

No TDs and a turnover is no A+, though. 

Bowles said in post game he made mostly the right reads.  That a bunch of his plays had a receiver going long or medium as primary and he looked off when covered and took the right read underneath.  I think the coaches are happy with his 1/2 decision making.  Probably now looking to expand the playbook and get that decision making a little faster and add in 1/2/3 then checkdown.  

I'd give him a solid B b/c I think he went out and mostly executed exactly the game script the coaches wanted him to do, even to the point of not pushing him through a 2 min script yet.

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

What more can we ask for? More than 5 YPA and not staring down receivers

How do you stare down receivers on a 3 step drop?  1,2,3 throw.....and they were completed passes. 

"Morton, making his maiden voyage as an NFL play-caller, dialed up plenty of three-step drops designed to get the ball out of Hackenberg’s hand fast. This version of the west coast scheme was safe… and boring"

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Bowles said in post game he made mostly the right reads.  That a bunch of his plays had a receiver going long or medium as primary and he looked off when covered and took the right read underneath.  I think the coaches are happy with his 1/2 decision making.  Probably now looking to expand the playbook and get that decision making a little faster and add in 1/2/3 then checkdown.  

I'd give him a solid B b/c I think he went out and mostly executed exactly the game script the coaches wanted him to do, even to the point of not pushing him through a 2 min script yet.

Hack was better throwing downfield in college and had trouble with the shorter passes, so last night's accuracy was encouraging.  He also hasn't played in a game in an entire year, something none of these other qbs we're watching on other teams have had to deal with.  This is the first time hack has been able to be hit in a year, and he avoided the rush well.  Give him Anderson running downfield and he'll look better still.

Some of those outs were a thing of beauty! No air under the ball! You can spread thesh*t out of the field if you can throw outs like that!

Hey, here's an idea, let's give him the type of time Matt Ryan has had to put things together. Slow & steady baby with the same OC & QB coach is the way to success for Hackenberg.

I really liked the zip he put on the ball..especially those early out routes.

Not too many shots down the field, and I think that will be our season in a nutshell due to below average O-Line and bargain bin receivers that won't get much separation. 

While I would have loved to see him sling it downfield a bit, this showed a glimpse into his progress more than that would have, in my opinion.

Hack was always fairly adept at stretching the field.  His big issues were short and intermediate accuracy.  Whether it's enough improvement to make a difference in the long run remains to be seen, but it's clear he has improved his mechanics and accuracy, to some degree.

4 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

I really liked the zip he put on the ball..especially those early out routes.

Not too many shots down the field, and I think that will be our season in a nutshell due to below average O-Line and bargain bin receivers that won't get much separation. 

I don't think we watched the same OLine last night.  The pass protection was very good I thought.  Run blocking was a different story

I too was very impressed with Hack last night, and so happy he looked like he belongs. The only way he will improve is if the game starts to slow down for him. How will that happen? B Y P L A Y I N G. I am ok with McCown starting the season, but they will have to get Hack in there sooner than later to actually see if he can be our guy.

15 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't think we watched the same OLine last night.  The pass protection was very good I thought.  Run blocking was a different story

To me..Hack seemed to rush his throws most of his time on the field..I never felt he had a clean pocket to step into a big throw. Maybe that was the plan though..just have him get the ball out quick.