A+ for Hack, seriously what else could we hope for?

JohnnyLV

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

While I favor playing Hackenberg, you can't disparage McCown's performance last night, 1 drive resulting in a TD.  Lets see how the preseason progresses.

Not that I'm trying to put down McCown but he was aided by a very ticky tack roughing the passer call which would have ended the 1st drive. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Hack was a rookie, we'd be ecstatic with what we saw last night.

Last year was a throwaway year - he was purely learning and was never going to play. This might as well be Hack's first year and he played well in his first preseason game.

2 hours ago, InstantClassic said:

To me..Hack seemed to rush his throws most of his time on the field..I never felt he had a clean pocket to step into a big throw. Maybe that was the plan though..just have him get the ball out quick.

That is the essence of a WCO . Get the ball out quick with slants/outs and then open up the downfield throws when the db's start cheating up.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

This was a B. C is too low, A is too high.

He looked good but it was very conservative. No interceptions was a good first step. Some drops hurt him, the botched snap killed the last drive.

Good first step, next week he needs to get in the end zone.

B from me.  The key is going to be is he going to improve with more time and with a broader playbook. 

I think any of the C+ to B grades are accurate.  What I took from the game is that I think we can safely put the not being able to hit the ocean bs to bed.  He looked poised and hit every one of his targets except for a couple of throw always deep that were tightly covered and the one ball that was tipped.  Is he a finished product?  Not even close.  He has shown that he has a very strong arm that won't have any problem making all the throws.  I was most impressed by his short accuracy which is what we've heard he couldn't do.  Step 1 of many steps accomplished, on to step 2.

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You give him most of the snaps this pre-season and the starts. He needs the work and at the same time you don't want to overexpose McCown and get him injured. If Hack does play this  season it will be with a reduced playbook which isn't a knock on him but usually the case with a young starter. They did it with Mark Sanchez. And it worked. Just because he ran the offense satisfactorily last night without making too many mistakes isn't enough. You have to do more than that. So you hope in the next three games we see him showing the ability to move the offense. He's been here long enough to expect that kind of progress. I give him an Incomplete for last night. 

Sanchez had the benefit of a strong running game, you remember ground and pound.  I hope the OL can step up in that regard this season.

11 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I will give Hack a strong C, Petty disappointed but was playing with a scrub o-line.  Still should have drafted Watson.

Yeah and Dalvin Cook in the second, so that Hackenberg would never have developed and we couldn't stop anyone with our defense.  Defense was a priority this year and based on last night they did pretty well. 

28 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Sanchez had the benefit of a strong running game however, you remember ground and pound.  I hope the OL can step up in that regard this season.

We have a pretty good running game with Forte and Bilal if healthy and they are both good receivers. No ground and pound but that could be the job of the third Rb. Hack didn't have them last night and it will be interesting to see if he can use it. As for the original poster earlier saying that Hack was a lot better than McCown last night I don't know what game he was watching. That's what he wanted to believe but McCown looked sharp and averaged 18.1 per reception and Hack averaged 5.1. And McCown threw a bomb. Which says a lot. He can throw long. There is no comparison. But we'll see over the next month what he can do. 

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We have a pretty good running game with Forte and Bilal if healthy and they are both good receivers. No ground and pound but that could be the job of the third Rb. Hack didn't have them last night and it will be interesting to see if he can use it. As for the original poster earlier saying that Hack was a lot better than McCown last night I don't know what game he was watching. That's what he wanted to believe but McCown looked sharp and averaged 18.1 per reception and Hack averaged 5.1. And McCown threw a bomb. Which says a lot. He can throw long. There is no comparison. But we'll see over the next month what he can do. 

I think we can be fine with Forte, Powell, but it's not just about them, we have a revamped OL with a bunch of newbies, they're going to need to be effective in opening the holes. 

I'd give Hack a B. No run game didn't help him. Couple of key drops also didn't help. He looked good for Preseason game one. Defense looks great. Mariota didn't score nor did the Titans score a TD all game. I would say with the young receivers and rotating O line he looked very good. Good game to build on. He definitely has NFL QB potential. He'll only get better. 

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I'd give Hack a B. No run game didn't help him. Couple of key drops also didn't help. He looked good for Preseason game one. Defense looks great. Mariota didn't score nor did the Titans score a TD all game. I would say with the young receivers and rotating O line he looked very good. Good game to build on. He definitely has NFL QB potential. He'll only get better. 

I think you have to take pre-season with a grain of salt.  I didn't see the game but I would imagine our 1st team D didn't play much yesterday.  Also, I know they always put on vanilla defenses in preseason.  I guess we shut them out even with a vanilla defense but I just don't think preseason necessarily represents anything.  Then again, Dak Prescott was a standout last preseason and he went on to have a good regular season so I guess we shall see.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think you have to take pre-season with a grain of salt.  I didn't see the game but I would imagine our 1st team D didn't play much yesterday.  Also, I know they always put on vanilla defenses in preseason.  I guess we shut them out even with a vanilla defense but I just don't think preseason necessarily represents anything.  Then again, Dak Prescott was a standout last preseason and he went on to have a good regular season so I guess we shall see.

Agreed. I watched the Giant game and Hack already looked better than Geno. He seemed poised and looking pretty comfortable. Like him throwing the ball away when he had nothing. Smart QB-ing.

7 hours ago, slats said:

If that's what happens, then the coaches are dumb. Job #1 this season has to be QB evaluation - for better or worse. 

But they've been evaluating. There's a reason that, after two training camps and a full season in the system, the coaches didn't let the kid throw anything down the field.  Nothing. He's the third best QB on this roster.  He's Matt Simms at a higher cost with a lesser pedigree. 

I'd probably give him a B-. He was "fine" which is far better than what I was expecting. That said, everything he threw was a quick slant, quick out, swing pass to the RB, etc. I think I saw him attempt 2 passes over 10 yards the whole game and neither was close to being complete. Bowles tried to excuse it as the defense "taking away" plays down the field but I strongly suspect they don't trust him pushing the ball down the field with his accuracy issues. Baby steps I guess.

Objectively, this is a C performance.  Which is encouraging bc I was expecting a D.

Watch the tape, every throw he makes, except one is a single read.  The good news is he was fairly accurate, other than three bad throws (one of which was caught anyway, the other which should have been picked off).  The bad news is he made multiple poor decisions on third down that stalled the drive.  There was one encouraging throw away which exhibited poise in the pocket and where he avoided a common rookie bait.

I think the coordinators did a good job of keeping things real simple for him, and allowing him to get some confidence, but unfortunately it's not going to be anywhere near that simple when defenses game plan for the west coast offense.  His best throw was a double read that hit a receiver streaking to the sidelines, and that sort of thing he'll have to do a lot of this year.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Watch the tape, every throw he makes, except one is a single read.  

Actually, its was mentioned by the coach that Hackenberg checked off deeper passes because of coverage. Why people insist that they understand what a qbs "read" is baffling. You can't always tell. You don't know what the play call was, or what is going through his mind.

Sometimes, you obviously can see him visibly go through progressions, but the is not aways apparent. 

Oh, and PS, your grade is a "subjective" one, not "objective".

How do you stare down receivers on a 3 step drop?  1,2,3 throw.....and they were completed passes. 
"Morton, making his maiden voyage as an NFL play-caller, dialed up plenty of three-step drops designed to get the ball out of Hackenberg’s hand fast. This version of the west coast scheme was safe… and boring"

First, three step drop doesn't mean you look at the receiver from the snap forward. And his did out oon his rate longer drops as well

Sent from my SM-G920T using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Actually, its was mentioned by the coach that Hackenberg checked off deeper passes because of coverage. Why people insist that they understand what a qbs "read" is baffling. You can't always tell. You don't know what the play call was, or what is going through his mind.

Sometimes, you obviously can see him visibly go through progressions, but the is not aways apparent. 

Oh, and PS, your grade is a "subjective" one, not "objective".

Watch his throws on NFL.com.  He might make many presnap reads, you are right I can't know what he's seeing, but he throws at the  first receiver in his progression everytime except for the sideline throw and maybe the two deep throwaways.  

43 minutes ago, Hael said:

Watch his throws on NFL.com.  He might make many presnap reads, you are right I can't know what he's seeing, but he throws at the  first receiver in his progression everytime except for the sideline throw and maybe the two deep throwaways.  

Did any of these throws go to receivers that were doubled covered  ?   This is the 1st time I can remember a QB getting criticize for throwing the ball to an open receiver who was his primary read in the progression . 

If you can't find something to complain about, make something up  is the credo of Jet fans .

How the hell is "vanilla offense" a knock on Hack? If he goes out there and makes the easiest reads on plays they gave him, and he took what the defense gave him, then that was a win.

It was a win. Agree with Max - a B. Tight but not uptight. No major mistakes. Some things to build on. Happy

DC

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Did any of these throws go to receivers that were doubled covered  ?   This is the 1st time I can remember a QB getting criticize for throwing the ball to an open receiver who was his primary read in the progression . 

If you can't find something to complain about, make something up  is the credo of Jet fans .

Complaining he threw to open WRs for completions. It's mind boggling. But not surprising. 

Had to be one of the most uninspiring preseason games I've ever seen. Zero excitement. Boring, conservative play calling. Hack played fairly well but still was unable to put any points on the board in 3 quarters.  He looked overly cautious to really take any chances downfield. Wasn't impressed in the least. Defense looked decent but made a lot of dumb mistakes.  Secondary was better but  still has so many growing pains to go through  as goes the rest of this team.  To give Havk an A+ here is comical. He sat for an entire year and looked like a 3rd stringer at best.  I guess he's improved because he didn't even play last year. To think we could have had Dak. 

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have to be honest, I can't really imagine a better first preseason game performance than what Hack did tonight. And I think he outplayed McClown who heaved a ball as far as he could and Anderson made a great adjustment, but otherwise looked exactly what he is: Fitz 3.0.

In tonights game Hack:

1. Showed good footwork

2. Showed good pocket awareness, and ability to scan field for open receiver which improved as game went along

3. Was VERY accurate. His throws were consistently almost perfect in placement and timing. Also, it wasn't as dink and dunky as it seemed as he effortlessly through a couple far hash to sideline outs and made them look like dump offs

4. Showed elite, explosive arm strength. Maybe Top 5 in the NFL

5. Had a very very fast release. Not Rodgers-esque but in the upper echelon of NFL QBs

6. Showed the ability to line people up at the line of scrimmage, so his knowledge of the playbook is coming along

7. Was let down by drive killing penalties and drops

8. Actually threw the ball away. Who was the last Jets QB to actually do that. Geno literally never understood the concept even as he was running towards out of bounds, Fitz would just throw a jump ball and hope, Sanchez would take a sack....I was really impressed with that

9. Looked poised and calm and like he belongs

Were there things he needs to work on?

Of course. He needs to:

1. Get in and out of the huddle better and faster

2. Recognize and decipher defensive looks better

3. Throw the ball down field to open up the running time

All of these things will come with experience. I thought he looked every bit as good as the other young QBs being highlighted in the preseason games.

What more could you ask, with the limited practice and system install in place at this time?

Too early to give a complete grade, but imagine what he'd look like if he got a few snaps last season, especially when the Jets season was basically over? I give Bowles an F for that one.

17 minutes ago, BigO said:

Had to be one of the most uninspiring preseason games I've ever seen. Zero excitement. Boring, conservative play calling. Hack played fairly well but still was unable to put any points on the board in 3 quarters.  He looked overly cautious to really take any chances downfield. Wasn't impressed in the least. Defense looked decent but made a lot of dumb mistakes.  Secondary was better but  still has so many growing pains to go through  as goes the rest of this team.  To give Havk an A+ here is comical. He sat for an entire year and looked like a 3rd stringer at best.  I guess he's improved because he didn't even play last year. To think we could have had Dak. 

Oh my God. Please, stop. It's practice.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Im not complaining.  Indeed they were open and at least some were the correct reads (the bad decisions came on third down when he hit his receivers well shy of the third down mark, and that's a point where he should have gone to a second option).  I'm just saying that he did well in a simple situation, about as well as an avg NFL qb(hence a C grade) and that this sort of success playing vanilla O won't necessarily generalize.  

30 minutes ago, Dcronin said:

Oh my God. Please, stop. It's practice.

Practice? Really? Say that to the players faces that were cut after the game. Preseason is a time to show what you're made of not a time to practice. 

10 hours ago, Hael said:

Im not complaining.  Indeed they were open and at least some were the correct reads (the bad decisions came on third down when he hit his receivers well shy of the third down mark, and that's a point where he should have gone to a second option).  I'm just saying that he did well in a simple situation, about as well as an avg NFL qb(hence a C grade) and that this sort of success playing vanilla O won't necessarily generalize.  

When you are a young QB, and your coach dials up a play for you and the player is open. You complete the pass. Period. End of story. You don't go to 2nd and 3rd reads. That's how you get sacks/fumbles/holding penalties/benched.

You want to question the play calling? Fine. But it was clear that the coaching staff was not concerned with putting up points Saturday night/winning, but instead they wanted Hack to execute a standard West Coast Offense and gain confidence. I assume that will slowly progress and by the third preseason game they will be opening up the playbook and asking Hack to "make plays" (convert 3rd and longs etc..). The NFL Draft is 9 months away. Hack has plenty of time to prove that he can be a NFL quality QB or not. There was no reason to force it Saturday night. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Can't wait to see what grade he gets when he leads the team to field goal.

It's like some of you want him to fail. If he leads a FG drive but finishes 7-22 with 2 ints then he will get an F grade. It's all relative.  

It is funny to see the SOJF's talking points change overnight. First you guys were saying "LOL this clown can't even complete the most basic passes in practice. " But when he throws near perfect passes on every "basic" pass on Saturday you switch to "lol, he didn't even lead the team to a Fg drive"...completely ignoring the drops that killed scoring drives. If Marshall catches that perfect pass the Jets would have had a first down (or close to it) near the 30 yard line. But you guys have been brainwashed by the Manish's of the world to think Hack has no chance and it's not even worth rooting for him to succeed. I get it. 

Archived