Every Christian Hackenberg pass from Preseason Week 1

Jetsbb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 3 attempts over 10 yards, one of which was get  rid of it ASAP.

Is the idea trying to see if Hackenberg can run a dumpoff offense? Most QBs can do that. So what? A checkdown festival is loser football. We still have no better idea if he can be a real NFL QB. 

The WCO makes me nuts, so that's less on him than on the The Plan. If you don't stretch the field, you have to make a whole lot more successful plays to get downfield. Every play has the chance to go bad, the more plays you have to run, the odds of a disaster go up. CHad Pennington was in many ways  a classic WCO guy; short accurate passes but little downfield. But again the problem is defenses cheat up, jump the routes keep everything in front of them, and sooner rather than later something goes bad. Ultimately your stats look pretty good but you aren't really challenging the defense, you're playing their game. It's also the offense of choice for pussified defense first scared HCs. Lucky us again.   Not asking for a poSt route on every passing down, but if you aren't gonna let the QB thROw downfield, FAIL.

Before anyone brings up Joe Montana, he did throw downfield. There is no Joe Montana here. Heck, there also are no HOF wideouts either. 

Jets football; when it comes to offense, forget everything, learn nothing,institutional idiocy every year. Simply based on last night we know very little. 

Short and medium accuracy look pretty damn good.  Needs to work on deep accuracy if he's going to connect with Anderson-- RA got deep a lot last year and it took Petty like three games before he could hit him.  

Is Hack staring down his receivers too much?  I didn't notice him look the safety off once.  We all know that doesn't fly during the regular season.

Thank you for posting this. While Hack did not look off the safety, I feel like this was a great first showing. He did go beyond the first read on a few plays it looked like. Which some QB's never do. He obviously didnt scan the whole field. Good first showing though. Obviously he needs to build on this.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Is the idea trying to see if Hackenberg can run a dumpoff offense? Most QBs can do that. So what? A checkdown festival is loser football. We still have no better idea if he can be a real NFL QB. 

The WCO makes me nuts, so that's less on him than on the The Plan. If you don't stretch the field, you have to make a whole lot more successful plays to get downfield. Every play has the chance to go bad, the more plays you have to run, the odds of a disaster go up. CHad Pennington was in many ways  a classic WCO guy; short accurate passes but little downfield. But again the problem is defenses cheat up, jump the routes keep everything in front of them, and sooner rather than later something goes bad. Ultimately your stats look pretty good but you aren't really challenging the defense, you're playing their game. It's also the offense of choice for pussified defense first scared HCs. Lucky us again.   Not asking for a poSt route on every passing down, but if you aren't gonna let the QB thROw downfield, FAIL.

Before anyone brings up Joe Montana, he did throw downfield. There is no Joe Montana here. Heck, there also are no HOF wideouts either. 

Jets football; when it comes to offense, forget everything, learn nothing,institutional idiocy every year. Simply based on last night we know very little. 

Are you kidding right now... many QBs have started dink and dunk... look at your favorite Tom Brady for example A... Vanilla offense and ran it well... there was nothing to show because there was no real plays called... move on...

Thank you for putting this together. The only way Hack is going to get better to the point of the game slowing down for him, allowing him to look off receivers and scan downfield is to play. The more he plays, the slower the game will get for him, the more his confidence in his reads will improve. I liked what I saw out of him last night, a lot. 

He looked solid.  Nothing out-of-this-world spectacular...but this is a good step in the right direction. Whether it was Jeremy Bates, John Morton, Jordan Palmer...whoever helped him clean up his footwork and mechanics deserves a sh*t ton of credit.  His motion looks clean and compact, his feet don't look like they're stuck in mud like they were last year, release is sped up a good amount.

I gave him a solid B. 

Nothing more, nothing less. Just a real good showing that is hopefully a stepping stone for more leaps going forward.  We'll see after next week.

Other takeaways from this cut-up:

- Jalin Marshall can eat a big bag of d*cks.  That drop was a beautiful pass and an easy first down if he hauls it in.  Your rookie year is over.  Hold on to the ball or get ready to hold on to a bag of McNuggets for hungry customers.

- Ardarius Stewart has mean f*cking stiff arm.  My gawd.  Can't wait to see him get worked in a little more.

- Marquees Wilson really intrigues me.  I remember his limited time in Chicago.  If he can stay healthy, there is definitely something to mold there.

- Hack's final drive looked like they opened it up a bit for him and if it wasn't for the early snap, I think he closes the night out with a TD drive. That last throw to Wilson showed off that gun of his.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Stop whining already. 

Institutional idiocy?  Try this post

this BS i don't understand how anyone can give him a good grade. if he's not slinging it arond like manning in his prime then he's basically worthless. he's already had about 4 quarters of play at the pro level. more than enough time....if he's not playing like a franchise qb in mid-career form then it's time to cut him

Throwing mostly short passes is what the NFL is these days.  He looked good doing that.  On a couple of his bad longer throws I thought he was throwing the ball away because the WR wasn't open.  But there was at least one instance (a long pass down the right sideline) where Hack overthrew the WR pretty badly.  I thought overall he looked good though.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Throwing mostly short passes is what the NFL is these days.  He looked good doing that.  On a couple of his bad longer throws I thought he was throwing the ball away because the WR wasn't open.  But there was at least one instance (a long pass down the right sideline) where Hack overthrew the WR pretty badly.  I thought overall he looked good though.

The one play did look like a throwaway since the receiver was triple covered, so good decision there.  The one that sailed out of bounds was off target, but that receiver was blanketed regardless. 

The third pass in that video was one of his best.  Perfect placement into a crowded middle where the receiver didn't have to slow at all and get killed.  The kind of pass Brady throws all the time.  If he can throw that pass consistently, it will be a huge step forward.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The third pass in that video was one of his best.  Perfect placement into a crowded middle where the receiver didn't have to slow at all and get killed.  The kind of pass Brady throws all the time.  If he can throw that pass consistently, it will be a huge step forward.

Couldn't agree more!  When I read your post my initial thought was that play (though I re-watched to confirm).  Hack hit the WR right in stride, allowing him to gain an extra 10 yards.  Defenses are so athletic that any time the WR has to waste on adjusting from a bad throw makes all the difference in the play.  Plays that could've been 1st downs end up putting you in 3rd down situations instead.  

That pass is a really good example of what makes for an effective QB.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He looked solid.  Nothing out-of-this-world spectacular...but this is a good step in the right direction. Whether it was Jeremy Bates, John Morton, Jordan Palmer...whoever helped him clean up his footwork and mechanics deserves a sh*t ton of credit.  His motion looks clean and compact, his feet don't look like they're stuck in mud like they were last year, release is sped up a good amount.

I gave him a solid B. 

Nothing more, nothing less. Just a real good showing that is hopefully a stepping stone for more leaps going forward.  We'll see after next week.

Other takeaways from this cut-up:

- Jalin Marshall can eat a big bag of d*cks.  That drop was a beautiful pass and an easy first down if he hauls it in.  Your rookie year is over.  Hold on to the ball or get ready to hold on to a bag of McNuggets for hungry customers.

- Ardarius Stewart has mean f*cking stiff arm.  My gawd.  Can't wait to see him get worked in a little more.

- Marquees Wilson really intrigues me.  I remember his limited time in Chicago.  If he can stay healthy, there is definitely something to mold there.

- Hack's final drive looked like they opened it up a bit for him and if it wasn't for the early snap, I think he closes the night out with a TD drive. That last throw to Wilson showed off that gun of his.

I was wondering if I was the only 1 who notice what you wrote to start that last line . There was something different about the offense and the QB on Hack's last drive .  I would like the coaching staff to give McCown 2 drives in the next preseason game and allow Petty to finish out the 1st Half . After the half, turn the game over to Hack with the 2nd string OL comprised of Ijilana and Shell at the tackles . 

Kid looked comfortable.  Good footwork.  Fast release, ball gets there in a hurry, solid placement (even on the misses).  

Sure, it was dink and dunk but so what?  He seemed to have command of the offense and made the right reads.  His long balls were bad but the good bad.

I had zero expectations so he was surpassed what I thought we would see. 

9 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I can't believe that it other threads people are giving him c-f, c, c+ and the like.  I thought he looked pretty damn good.  Thanks OP for putting the tape together.

It's not that he was bad by any stretch... But the five yard swing pass on 3rd and 12 isn't very inspiring. I'd like to see what the offense looks like when he pushes it down the field a bit more.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not that he was bad by any stretch... But the five yard swing pass on 3rd and 12 isn't very inspiring. I'd like to see what the offense looks like when he pushes it down the field a bit more.

The other team plays defense too. On a third and long, they will look to take away that deeper pass option. Would you rather he "force" the ball in and risk a turnover, or take what the defense gives you?

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The other team plays defense too. On a third and long, they will look to take away that deeper pass option. Would you rather he "force" the ball in and risk a turnover, or take what the defense gives you?

In a preseason game? I'd like to see him make a play. There's nothing to lose. Why go for a safe checkdown guaranteed to fail? In a close regular season game when the defense is playing well, sure. But he threw a pretty large number of passes and it's a little concerning he didn't try to throw it past the sticks almost at all. I'm not sure if it's his confidence or if they're simply scheming him conservatively but I do hope next week he opens it up a little.

Not trying to crap on the guy, he actually looked pretty sharp for what he was asked to do (which was little) and he definitely exceeded my expectations (which were pretty low.) But it's something to build on. I hope he looks better next week.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like you would have if Hack sucked as much as you were hoping?  

Like you did with any incompletion reported via a tweet?  

I certainly did no such thing. I'm an extremely informed football analyst and haven't seen the game yet. 

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

In a preseason game? I'd like to see him make a play. There's nothing to lose. Why go for a safe checkdown guaranteed to fail? In a close regular season game when the defense is playing well, sure. But he threw a pretty large number of passes and it's a little concerning he didn't try to throw it past the sticks almost at all. I'm not sure if it's his confidence or if they're simply scheming him conservatively but I do hope next week he opens it up a little.

Not trying to crap on the guy, he actually looked pretty sharp for what he was asked to do (which was little) and he definitely exceeded my expectations (which were pretty low.) But it's something to build on. I hope he looks better next week.

And he tried to force the ball in, and was intercepted in doing so, think people would day "well at least he went for its".

Just not so

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

And he tried to force the ball in, and was intercepted in doing so, think people would day "well at least he went for its".

Just not so

No, and I think that's part of the problem. I'm not sure if it's him or the coaching staff but I think they're afraid of the narrative that might snowball if he gets picked off. They're scared of the media and the angry fans. Personally I'd rather see him throw two picks but lead two touchdown drives than complete 72% of his passes and score 0 points. But no doubt you're correct that the narrative would be harsh if he made a mistake.

No, and I think that's part of the problem. I'm not sure if it's him or the coaching staff but I think they're afraid of the narrative that might snowball if he gets picked off. They're scared of the media and the angry fans. Personally I'd rather see him throw two picks but lead two touchdown drives than complete 72% of his passes and score 0 points. But no doubt you're correct that the narrative would be harsh if he made a mistake.

Tell us which WR got any deep separation that he could have hit with a pass.  I didn't see anyone capable of getting free for a reception.  

There's only so much a QB can do, has to take what he's given.

I'd like to think this too--that they set out to get Hack a nice stat line and a week of good press--but there's no way they're that smart. 

Archived