Every Christian Hackenberg pass from Preseason Week 1

Jetsbb

Which somehow translates into everything he says about a player or his performance is a lie?  

Yeah... didn't say that. Some people are really too biased to think critically or take a step back and objectively evaluate a situation.

Not every question or criticism about the jets is a personal attack. Some of us want to have a real discussion here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah... didn't say that. Some people are really too biased to think critically or take a step back and objectively evaluate a situation.

Not every question or criticism about the jets is a personal attack. Some of us want to have a real discussion here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes you did.  You insinuated that the HC invented something to say that wasn't correct.  Don't know how you say something that you know is not correct but aren't a liar.  

Has nothing to do with discussion.  When you can just ignore what we've been told because there's incentive to lie therefore it's not true, hard to actually have open discussion.  Kind of ends any real discussion 

On 8/13/2017 at 8:25 AM, LIJetsFan said:

I can't believe that in other threads people are giving him c-f, c, c+ and the like.  I thought he looked pretty damn good.  Thanks OP for putting the tape together.

I have Hack a C+ grade because we didn't score.  If we had scored I would have given him a B+ or A, depending on how the Jets scored.  

My grade wasn't a knock.  I was one of a few posters who wanted him drafted. I just think that the team and that means the QB has to score as well as look good. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes you did.  You insinuated that the HC was invented to say some that wasn't correct.  Don't know how you say something that's not correct but aren't a liar.  

Has nothing to do with discussion when you can just ignore what we've been told because there's incentive to lie.  Kind of ends any real discussion 

First of all I didn't insinuate that the HC was "invented" to do anything. No idea what you're going for there.

Second of all you're 100% wrong -- you somehow claimed I said  "everything he says about a player or his performance is a lie" which obviously anyone who knows how to read can recognize I didn't say at all.

I simply pointed out the (incredibly obvious) point that head coaches (or any public figures really) say in the media what works to their advantage. If he and Morton wanted a safe, conservative gameplan because he didn't really trust Hack throwing downfield, didn't want the kid to throw a pick and thought a nice completion percentage would alleviate pressure and build the kids confidence why would he tell the media that? Why would he say "we're worried he'd struggle passing down the field so we wanted safe passes so you guys wouldn't crucify the kid."

No, he's going to do the smart thing and praise the kid for throwing to the open man saying coverage was great downfield. 

Who knows, maybe after getting smoked on the first drive the Titans started playing lock down man defense... But yeah, the guy threw 25 passes and didn't complete one 10 yards in the air. There's a trend there.

Some of the posters on this board are such insecure, paranoid homers. Impossible to even have a real conversation without being attacked.

If I were to give Hack's performance a grade it would bean (I) for Incomplete . The team score no points in any of the 8 drives Hackenberg started and that what really counts on offense . Never the less, Hackenberg threw the ball well, got rid of the ball in a timely manner but wasted 2 timeouts while attempting to make audibles at the LOS . We have 3 more weeks of preseason to make a more inform grade on this kid.

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I was cautiously optimistic after they drafted him but became less enthusiastic after lackluster training camp reports and zero appearances in the first two preseason games last year (pretty big red flag IMO.) Then he looked halfway decent against the Giants... But that Eagles game... Man, I've never seen an NFL QB perform worse in a game than that, at any level. I know he was playing with scrubs but still, he was so unfathomably bad it's hard for that not to make an impression.

So yeah, I thought there were a lot of red flags that indicated the kid wasn't at the level we would all obviously hope he'd be at. My feeling was definitely that it was unlikely he'd ever be a starter in the NFL and would likely be out of the league in a few years. I would LOVE to be proven wrong. But I really think the rosy reports are largely based on extremely low expectations. He completely short safe passes and didn't lead a scoring drive. That's kind of a given for an NFL QB isn't it? Isn't that only "impressive" if you assumed he couldn't play?

I'm rooting for the kid. I really hope he works out and becomes the guy people thought might go first overall after his freshman year at Penn State. But I'm pumping the brakes on the hype train until i see him make a few nice throws down the field and lead some TD drives. 

He ran an NFL offense with efficiency, On all the short outs which has notoriously been his downfall in the last 3+ season he made them all.  One of the biggest problems the naysayers had with Hack was that he couldn't even throw a screen pass.  Well, this proves he can and consistently. A great start... He didn't open up the offense but wasn't asked to yet... One of his few deep passes the WR tripped on his own two feet but looked to be on target... If it wasn't for a few key drops by Marshall, and Frisker... the drives looked well orchastrated and that he was competent enough to make the throws.

Sure there is a lot more to see, but this absolutely passes the first eye test. And if the Jets play a dink and dunk offense for the whole year... I wouldn't be surprised but that is how a lot of QBs started... again look no further then Brady, (Not saying he is Brady or anything close or will ever be, and yes runs a different system) the first two years Brady was QB was ONLY screen passes and slants... Thats it... remember how most 'analysts' would crap on Brady for years and years about he couldn't throw the ball downfield and how Bellichek was the only reason he succeeded...

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

He ran an NFL offense with efficiency, On all the short outs which has notoriously been his downfall in the last 3+ season he made them all.  One of the biggest problems the naysayers had with Hack was that he couldn't even throw a screen pass.  Well, this proves he can and consistently. A great start... He didn't open up the offense but wasn't asked to yet... One of his few deep passes the WR tripped on his own two feet but looked to be on target... If it wasn't for a few key drops by Marshall, and Frisker... the drives looked well orchastrated and that he was competent enough to make the throws.

Sure there is a lot more to see, but this absolutely passes the first eye test. And if the Jets play a dink and dunk offense for the whole year... I wouldn't be surprised but that is how a lot of QBs started... again look no further then Brady, (Not saying he is Brady or anything close or will ever be, and yes runs a different system) the first two years Brady was QB was ONLY screen passes and slants... Thats it... remember how most 'analysts' would crap on Brady for years and years about he couldn't throw the ball downfield and how Bellichek was the only reason he succeeded...

LOL did you really go through this thread and give me negative rep for every post I made? Get a life man.

On 8/13/2017 at 10:18 AM, Bugg said:

Only 3 attempts over 10 yards, one of which was get  rid of it ASAP.

Is the idea trying to see if Hackenberg can run a dumpoff offense? Most QBs can do that. So what? A checkdown festival is loser football. We still have no better idea if he can be a real NFL QB. 

The WCO makes me nuts, so that's less on him than on the The Plan. If you don't stretch the field, you have to make a whole lot more successful plays to get downfield. Every play has the chance to go bad, the more plays you have to run, the odds of a disaster go up. CHad Pennington was in many ways  a classic WCO guy; short accurate passes but little downfield. But again the problem is defenses cheat up, jump the routes keep everything in front of them, and sooner rather than later something goes bad. Ultimately your stats look pretty good but you aren't really challenging the defense, you're playing their game. It's also the offense of choice for pussified defense first scared HCs. Lucky us again.   Not asking for a poSt route on every passing down, but if you aren't gonna let the QB thROw downfield, FAIL.

Before anyone brings up Joe Montana, he did throw downfield. There is no Joe Montana here. Heck, there also are no HOF wideouts either. 

Jets football; when it comes to offense, forget everything, learn nothing,institutional idiocy every year. Simply based on last night we know very little. 

true enough but what a wco qb needs to do is make those short throws in his sleep.  apparently hack had issues with the short ball while at psu.  he looked pretty good on saturday.  i know much has been said about the passes being his first read but give it time.  a couple of times the pass rush was in on him and he still delivered.  at least he didn't get sacked or strip sacked.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If I were to give Hack's performance a grade it would bean (I) for Incomplete . The team score no points in any of the 8 drives Hackenberg started and that what really counts on offense . Never the less, Hackenberg threw the ball well, got rid of the ball in a timely manner but wasted 2 timeouts while attempting to make audibles at the LOS . We have 3 more weeks of preseason to make a more inform grade on this kid.

But the biggest problem was Hack couldn't throw a screen play... That should prove something... sure you can grade as incomplete but this has proven MOST of the fanbase that there might be something there... 

For what I saw... I think he deserves a B/ B- ... I like that he did not fear the closing pocket... he stepped up and threw some passes... yes he missed on a few downfield... but all the necessary ones were on target and most were in great position for the receiver... He looked better then Most QBs the Jets have lined up in preseason the past...

Just now, rangerous said:

true enough but what a wco qb needs to do is make those short throws in his sleep.  apparently hack had issues with the short ball while at psu.  he looked pretty good on saturday.  i know much has been said about the passes being his first read but give it time.  a couple of times the pass rush was in on him and he still delivered.  at least he didn't get sacked or strip sacked.

Exactly... 

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

But the biggest problem was Hack couldn't throw a screen play... That should prove something... sure you can grade as incomplete but this has proven MOST of the fanbase that there might be something there... 

For what I saw... I think he deserves a B/ B- ... I like that he did not fear the closing pocket... he stepped up and threw some passes... yes he missed on a few downfield... but all the necessary ones were on target and most were in great position for the receiver... He looked better then Most QBs the Jets have lined up in preseason the past...

How can I give Hack such a grade when he accounted for zero points in 8 drive opportunities . Hack showed tremendous progress when compared to what I saw in the Eagles game last preseason . He has a long way to go but it's not crazy to think that he can't make those strides between now and the start of the regular season . It was the 1st game of the preseason after 2 weeks of training camp where he's been throwing to a myriad of receivers .

I am hopeful, but not willing to slow walk what I've been waiting for .   

24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL did you really go through this thread and give me negative rep for every post I made? Get a life man.

It's the new craze here.  I have two who just follow me and neg rep every post no matter if it's an opinion, right or wrong fact.

its like dealing with a child

On 8/13/2017 at 7:45 AM, varjet said:

I counted 2 drops.

Yea, the Jalin Marshall one really pisses me off. This guy struggled with drops last year too. He appears to know where he's got to be, runs decent routes, has some good moves... but doesn't secure the ******* football. It's fundamentals 101.

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In a preseason game? I'd like to see him make a play. There's nothing to lose. Why go for a safe checkdown guaranteed to fail? In a close regular season game when the defense is playing well, sure. But he threw a pretty large number of passes and it's a little concerning he didn't try to throw it past the sticks almost at all. I'm not sure if it's his confidence or if they're simply scheming him conservatively but I do hope next week he opens it up a little.

Not trying to crap on the guy, he actually looked pretty sharp for what he was asked to do (which was little) and he definitely exceeded my expectations (which were pretty low.) But it's something to build on. I hope he looks better next week.

7 hours ago, Tinstar said:

How can I give Hack such a grade when he accounted for zero points in 8 drive opportunities . Hack showed tremendous progress when compared to what I saw in the Eagles game last preseason . He has a long way to go but it's not crazy to think that he can't make those strides between now and the start of the regular season . It was the 1st game of the preseason after 2 weeks of training camp where he's been throwing to a myriad of receivers .

I am hopeful, but not willing to slow walk what I've been waiting for .   

Incomplete is a fair grade as Hack was really only playing with about 20% of the playbook which to me seemed purposely safe, and orchestrated to get him comfortable running what will be the bread, and butter plays that should be executed in his sleep, IF Marshall doesn't drop that pass the Jets would have put up points on Hacks 1st, or 2nd drive I forget, same drive Cantanzaro missed the FG.  The only bad pass I thought he made was the screen pass even thou it was complete he threw it high, and behind the RB who adjusted to catch it, and when he turned up field defender just got in position to stuff him, if that ball is thrown out in front of RB IMO the defender would have been late, and RB would have scooted right by him for a very nice gain, so Hack still has to work on those really important screen passes IMO, but everything else was prettt much good for what they asked him to do, think next week will see him operate about 50% of the book, and be asked to do some new things hopefully he is up to the task.

Archived