Even though it was only a pre-season game here are some of the things that
stood out after re-watching the tape:

- OLine pass protection of the #1 and #2 units kept the pocket relatively
clean.  The run blocking was shaky though and needs to improve particularly
up the middle

- Robby Anderson regulalry getting open in his reps and hauling in that
40+ yard bomb.  Speaking of which, credit to Josh McCown for reaching
Anderson something Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do 

- Elijah McGuire showed good wiggle and the ability to find holes.  Unfortunately
both of his big runs were called back because of penalties

- Christian Hackenberg had a crisp "game manager" performance which was a good
first step.  Excellent completion percentage (72%), good accuracy and a quick 
release were his big positives.  His yardage and point production would've been
better if not for some key drops.  He needs to improve his speed getting out of the
huddle and processing things at the line because he wasted multiple time outs

- Too many key drops that killed drives which could've led to points

- The run defense was surprisingly shaky particularly up the middle

- Defensively the team speed was outstanding.  And the pressure on the QB was
relentless whether it came from the pass rush or blitz packages.  Improved
play by the secondary allowed the front 7 to get "home"

- Leonard Williams was "beastly"

- Excellent all around games by the LB's Julian Stanford, Josh Martin and Jordan Jenkins.
Demario Davis took his strong camp into the game and continues to look like an upgrade
over David Harris

- Other defenders with good performances were Anthony Johnson (DE), Dexter McDougle (CB)
and Doug Middleton (S)

- Good tackling by the special team units and Frankie Hammond had a couple of nice returns

After watching what the defense did to TEN that could explain why the Jet
offense has struggled in camp with:

- WR's getting free from press coverage
- OLine picking up blitz packages
- Coverage sacks

Because TEN was dominated in those areas all game

ST was up and down. Missed FG from 50+ and horrible punt. Good play by Peake as the gunner and Lac did hit some good ones. Good returns for a change also. Not Brad Smithesq, but an improvement.

McD played well. I think that he is in his contract year. Skrine also played well. Good PD and nearly made an acrobatic interception. Also made some stops in the run game D.

DD was fast and strong. Speaking of strong damn that Jordan Jenkins sack was a beauty. Ripped the QB down with a man draped on him with one arm. Lee could be better. Julian Stanford was unstoppable last night. 

Jets got beat deep a few times. It's going to happen in this league though. Still the D held it's ground then.

overall the Pass Rush was real. In each quarter of the game, the Tenn QB's were under pressure. Leo is the Lion King, the New "El Rey" around here. No offense to Tito Puente. 

Run D was spotty. Saw Jenkins set the edge only to get no inside help a few times. 1st PS game though. 

Robby Anderson is really good. That was the Tenn number ones out there. Peake ran a nice route and was wide open on the TD.

The run game needs some work. Holes were tough to see. Pass protection was excellent.

overall I really like the D.

Well said. It looks like a completely different team so far compared to last year; there is actually some effort.  The defense looks pretty scary. The tempo was great with McCown but slowed with Hack.  I believe that'll get better as Hack progresses with learning the offense and getting reps.  Petty was not the same QB we've been hearing about all week.  TENN's starters looked like crap and LOL at Decker.  

I wasn't at the game, but had friends there who said the team chemistry was off the charts.  Guys celebrating good plays with each other, and really seeming to root for one another.  I think having some high character guys here is going to make a big difference, especially long term.

I said this when we acquired him, but DD is playing an entirely different position now then he did before and it suits him MUCH more then when he was playing the "coverage ILB" next to Harris.  I think he is going to surprise people this year.

Looking forward to Jenkins development - he was hurt last season (and during the predraft) and is a better athlete then people give him credit for.  On a team with Leo and Mo, he should be able to get a lot of 1-1 matchups that I think he will be able to exploit and could wind up with 6-8 sacks.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Even though it was only a pre-season game here are some of the things that
stood out after re-watching the tape:

- OLine pass protection of the #1 and #2 units kept the pocket relatively
clean.  The run blocking was shaky though and needs to improve particularly
up the middle

- Robby Anderson regulalry getting open in his reps and hauling in that
40+ yard bomb.  Speaking of which, credit to Josh McCown for reaching
Anderson something Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do 

- Elijah McGuire showed good wiggle and the ability to find holes.  Unfortunately
both of his big runs were called back because of penalties

- Christian Hackenberg had a crisp "game manager" performance which was a good
first step.  Excellent completion percentage (72%), good accuracy and a quick 
release were his big positives.  His yardage and point production would've been
better if not for some key drops.  He needs to improve his speed getting out of the
huddle and processing things at the line because he wasted multiple time outs

- Too many key drops that killed drives which could've led to points

- The run defense was surprisingly shaky particularly up the middle

- Defensively the team speed was outstanding.  And the pressure on the QB was
relentless whether it came from the pass rush or blitz packages.  Improved
play by the secondary allowed the front 7 to get "home"

- Leonard Williams was "beastly"

- Excellent all around games by the LB's Julian Stanford, Josh Martin and Jordan Jenkins.
Demario Davis took his strong camp into the game and continues to look like an upgrade
over David Harris

- Other defenders with good performances were Anthony Johnson (DE), Dexter McDougle (CB)
and Doug Middleton (S)

- Good tackling by the special team units and Frankie Hammond had a couple of nice returns

Dexter McDougle finally getting his chance to shine!

I was really hoping you would do post game impressions.  Thanks KRL and it helps reinforce some of what I saw last night as well (OL run blocking) 

@KRL Whats your take on the botched snap/fumble.  Was that on Hack?  Some said the entire lined move at the moment of snap making it seem Hack confused the snap count.  Is that what you saw?   I haven't been able to go back to see the play again myself.

Just now, BCJet said:

I wasn't at the game, but had friends there who said the team chemistry was off the charts.  Guys celebrating good plays with each other, and really seeming to root for one another.  I think having some high character guys here is going to make a big difference, especially long term.

Maybe this will be a silver lining in this season - that at least the guys are hungry and will give effort. Saw a few Cleveland games last year, and though they always lose, at least they compete, but eventually wear down by the second half because they don't have the talent to maintain it. Last year our effort was atrocious, and it will be refreshing if this season we play fast and spirited, even if we lose. At least you can root for a team like that. 

Nice job KRL. A few observations I made while at the game:

This was the fastest Jets defense I have maybe ever seen live. I did see the 09, 98, and 86 defense live and it was not this fast.

If Leo stays healthy, he is going to have an All Pro year.

The players on the sideline were really into the game. All the way until the end you could see players cheering on the players on the field.

I watched Adams a lot and he looked really good. Not saying he is going to be THIS good - but he reminds me a little of Rodney Harrison.

Hackenberg looks the part and throws darts. Some people were a little critical of the play calls - but Chad Pennington made a career trowing the same exact passes in the west coast offense that Hack threw last night. 

Give McCown some credit, he threw a perfect pass to Anderson. I know and agree that it doesnt matter what he does this year - but he is a good QB to have on the roster as a backup to Hack, once Hack is ready.

Derrick Jones looked good. I watched him a lot and he was a better athlete than the other 3rd stringers out there - but he just needs to learn some technique. Definitely good enough to contribute to the starting team some time in the future.

Even though it was PS game one, a lot changed, but a lot remained the same as in the past.

Good:

We are probably not going to be nearly as terrible as everyone thinks we will be. Very pleasantly surprised with the effort and attitude last night.

DL Running laps during time outs, laughing about it, and actually looking like they were having a good time, supporting each other. Great sign. 

8 defensive sacks by 8 different players. What would we be saying if we had given up 8 sacks? Ps or not, anytime you get more than 4 sacks in a game, that is a great job.

McCown looks like a coach out there and was really happy to see Hack have the limited success he had. Now I think we see why they chose him over Kaepernick to mentor the younger guys. The plan looks solid to begin with Josh and bring Hack in shortly thereafter.

OL Pass protected well, no sacks until the one that almost killed Hack which was unavoidable. 

Hack played really well, made no stupid throws, and looked much improved over last PS game 4, the last time we saw him on the field. Made a couple of really nice throws but was held back by drops, penalties, and conservative play calling. Threw to the right receiver every time. I did not see any accuracy issues with his play whatsoever, nor did any of his passes hit Manush or "Dick" Cimini. I am not going to blame the fumble on him as he was playing with a 3rd or 4th string Center. I am not sure if the snap was bad or Hack lost concentration for a minute, but new system, PSG 1 no big deal, it did not cost us anything in the game. He does have a canon of an arm and once the game starts to slow down for him (which will happen only by playing) he could be the guy for us. I was impressed - no INTS. When was the last time we could say that?

Defensive team speed was like night and day from last year

Return game looked improved as well, gave up nothing had a few nice punt returns. I like Frankie Hammond (no, not Reggie Hammond LOL). He is fast and slippery returning punts. If he holds on to the ball, he could be the answer for us in the return game.

Overall attitude and compatriotism on the team looked great, guys cheering like hell for one another, even in PS week 1 is a really good sign.

Bad:

We need a punter. Edwards is awful. No NFL punter should be allowed to survive a 14 yard punt, I am sorry. Are we to believe there is not one single competent punter out there waiting for a job?

Even against 4th stringers, Petty looked awful. What was up with that? I know he is not that terrible.

Starting run D was shaky up the middle

Running game - 2 holding penalties on long runs, nothing much after that.

I realize there is no game planning or anything in the PS, but I still felt they were way too conservative on O last night, even for the first time under a new system, and even for the PS. Way too many running plays that just went nowhere, and definitely not enough stretching of the field to move the LB's and DB's off of the LOS. No throws to the TE BTW either. Why the heck couldn't they let the kids throw the ball downfield more? Was Bowles actually sitting on a 7-3 lead in PS week 1 LOL? It sure looked like it. This is why I cannot stand him as a HC, he and his teams always play scared and not to lose. Will this ever change? We'll see, hopefully he can change and become more aggressive, but in all honesty, we have seen the same ideology for 2 years and saw it again last night. One thing is for certain, teams in the RS will stack the LOS daring us to throw long and we had better be able to or else we could see more than ten 7-3 games, and have no QB's healthy by week 3.

I watched this game twice...

Yes the defense looked fast and totally different than last year

Robbie Anderson looks like what we thought he was, he can burn

Hack was smart, efficient, and was hindered by drops

So far the team looks like it is m ore well coached than it has been in the past. Maybe the lack of PS turmoil has helped

I am happy and mad. Happy because we looked better than I though and mad because I am all for the tank and drafting a QB still

Defense looked good. Remains to be seen how much the Titans showed or even wanted to show, but a good job. 

Offense need to stretch the field way more. Which is where the WCO will make us all nuts who ever the QB is. 

59 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I was really hoping you would do post game impressions.  Thanks KRL and it helps reinforce some of what I saw last night as well (OL run blocking) 

@KRL Whats your take on the botched snap/fumble.  Was that on Hack?  Some said the entire lined move at the moment of snap making it seem Hack confused the snap count.  Is that what you saw?   I haven't been able to go back to see the play again myself.

Based on Hackenberg's reaction coming off the field it seemed like he was upset with the center (Harrison).  Also

on the replay Hackenberg was preparing to put his hands under center then all of a sudden the ball was snapped

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Defense looked good. Remains to be seen how much the Titans showed or even wanted to show, but a good job. 

Offense need to stretch the field way more. Which is where the WCO will make us all nuts who ever the QB is. 

That last point is a good one and one that wasnt really talked about here. This offense will be dink and dunk no matter what because thats just what the WCO is.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

This was the fastest Jets defense I have maybe ever seen live. I did see the 09, 98, and 86 defense live and it was not this fast.

The players on the sideline were really into the game. All the way until the end you could see players cheering on the players on the field.

I watched Adams a lot and he looked really good. Not saying he is going to be THIS good - but he reminds me a little of Rodney Harrison.

Hackenberg looks the part and throws darts. Some people were a little critical of the play calls - but Chad Pennington made a career trowing the same exact passes in the west coast offense that Hack threw last night. 

Give McCown some credit, he threw a perfect pass to Anderson. I know and agree that it doesnt matter what he does this year - but he is a good QB to have on the roster as a backup to Hack, once Hack is ready.

Derrick Jones looked good. I watched him a lot and he was a better athlete than the other 3rd stringers out there - but he just needs to learn some technique. Definitely good enough to contribute to the starting team some time in the future.

I was at the game and noticed this as well. He still needs to be coached up a bit, but man, this guy athletically looks like he can be a solid starter in a year or two. 

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I was at the game and noticed this as well. He still needs to be coached up a bit, but man, this guy athletically looks like he can be a solid starter in a year or two. 

Glad you saw it too! Yeah I mean I have seen corners taken in the first round that don't look like as good of athletes. He just needs a little time to develop because he kind of does look like a WR playing CB. Funny he is wearing Cro's number because athletically that is who I would compare him to.

I know this was never up for debate, but damn, Hack's got arm talent.  That very first pass he threw, the 5 yard stop on the right to Marshall I think - I could hear the ball whistling through the TV.  And because it got there so quickly, it gave Marshall a chance to make a move and get another 5 yards...

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Tenn broadcast replayed the play numerous times.  They showed why the snap was lost on the center, that he had the wrong count.  No one other than center moved and clearly Hack wasnt expecting the snap.

What I really dont get is the numerous posts asking if it was his fault, its one play, who cares given what he showed last night in other aspects of his game

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

That last point is a good one and one that wasnt really talked about here. This offense will be dink and dunk no matter what because thats just what the WCO is.

Rodgers. Eli and countless others say hello

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Tenn broadcast replayed the play numerous times.  They showed why the snap was lost on the center, that he had the wrong count.  No one other than center moved and clearly Hack wasnt expecting the snap.

What I really dont get is the numerous posts asking if it was his fault, its one play, who cares given what he showed last night in other aspects of his game

I figured it was Harrisons fault (backup center).  Its a turnover.  Regardless there will be attention to it.  I don't find it a huge deal but I do like to have my facts straight when its brought up in conversation.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I figured it was Harrisons fault (backup center).  Its a turnover.  Regardless there will be attention to it.  I don't find it a huge deal but I do like to have my facts straight when its brought up in conversation.

Given the game, the situation with who was on the field, it wasnt that big a deal to me.  Like complaints that the line moved.  Well they should, theyre coached to watch the ball, when it moves they are supposed to move.  So if the C snaps and moved the line moving makes no difference on the play. 

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

Nice write up.

What I noticed via TV is when a player made a mistake, dropped a pass etc and came to the sidelines two or three guys, including players competing for the same roster spot, patting the guy on helmet and encouraging him.

McCown you can say what you want about his athletic abilities but he's perfect for this team this yr. Such a positive, encouragment, mentor type.   

39 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Nice write up.

What I noticed via TV is when a player made a mistake, dropped a pass etc and came to the sidelines two or three guys, including players competing for the same roster spot, patting the guy on helmet and encouraging him.

McCown you can say what you want about his athletic abilities but he's perfect for this team this yr. Such a positive, encouragment, mentor type.   

Thank you and I totally agree about McCown.

I dont think we should be too alarmed just yet about the drops. Some of it is concentration - but some of it is them learning the new offense too. The WR's all seemed to be running very crisp routes. Catching should follow soon enough

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

So on one hand your wondering how much the Titans wanted to show and on the other your saying the Jets need to stretch the field way more . It was a pure vanilla gameplan all around on O. 

I was out running errands today and had the radio on ESPN and they had Anita Marks on . My god if I had the windows open people would have thought I had Tourette's . She was going on and on about how bad the Jets are and that Hack is horrible etc.... Speculating if Robbie A could make the Giants roster and then the cherry on the Cake she has a call with Dick Semen Eye asks him how good this Jets Defense could be - Cimini says definitely not a top 10 unit and probably somewhere in the 18-25 range . I wish someone would stuff this assclown in a locker and leave him there for the season. My god the NY media is going to be unbearable this year.

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Even against 4th stringers, Petty looked awful. What was up with that? I know he is not that terrible.

Definitely a disappointing showing but remember that remember he was playing WITH 4th stringers as well.  The first pass was awful and on him.  But there was at least one awful drop on a nice pass, and then the sack that almost cut him in half which he had no chance to avoid.  I'd like to see him get in a little earlier next game where he has a chance to get some help around him but the CS must really want a good look at Hack for now.  It's a little unfair to evaluate a guy who only gets garbage time in pre-season but hopefully he can continue killing it during the week.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was out running errands today and had the radio on ESPN and they had Anita Marks on . My god if I had the windows open people would have thought I had Tourette's . She was going on and on about how bad the Jets are and that Hack is horrible etc.... Speculating if Robbie A could make the Giants roster and then the cherry on the Cake she has a call with Dick Semen Eye asks him how good this Jets Defense could be - Cimini says definitely not a top 10 unit and probably somewhere in the 18-25 range . I wish someone would stuff this assclown in a locker and leave him there for the season. My god the NY media is going to be unbearable this year.

To be fair, the Giants are a bit stacked at WR.  Robbie A would make the roster on most teams but the Giants are an unusual case where the top 3 are really set.

The comment about the defense is typical Cimini agenda.  Don't have a stroke over it.  It's how he tries to stay relevant and if they start out strong, he'll change his tune and pretend he never said this stuff.  My advice is to change the station.

Its funny too about the QB's , Cimini says ( I'm a geek and chart all the passes ) and I'm yelling out loud yeah you count completions you douche and then he states Hack has only a 50% completion %.

I know the media is typically on the Giants nut sacks and rip the Jets any chance they get , but this year I can see myself listening to a lot more music than usual during commute time. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Anita Marks is unlistenable...apart from her segment with Mike Westhoff which is worth listening to only because of his insight.

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Anita Marks speaking is unlistenable...apart from her segment with Mike Westhoff which is worth listening to only because of his insight.

Archived