Game Observations (TEN)

KRL

Only Jet fans can't see talent when it's right in front of their face,lol. Sheldon, Williams, McClendon & Wilkerson is a damn good line. If Mo & Sheldon come to play this year, with Williams beasting these guys are not easily blocked 1 on 1. Weak olines are gonna have a lot of trouble with this group. The Titans have an excellent run blocking line, and were top 3 I believe in the NFL running the ball last year. I got to watch the Pats vs Jags & the Jaguars were ripping runs vs the Pats 1st team defense.

Demario Davis was a huge surprise & the perfect example of a guy coming into his own. With those big boys up front our speeded up linebacker crew should have a decent year & with Adams & Maye out there Bowles will actually be able to employ the attacking style he likes. With 80-90 million to spend next year the Jets may be able to steal a CB & pass rushing OLB next year.

The offense will be a work in progress but I LOVE these coaches, Morton & Bates. What impressed me most was that everyone seemed INTERESTED and into the game. The Jets have a lot of young WRs to bring along with Hackenberg & running a WCO it won't take long to see which ones have the acumen to learn the offense (the dumb ones will be cut). McGuire looked good, very Leon Washington like with his wiggle & being able to catch out of the backfield. 

This team was hijacked last year by veterans whose play didn't come CLOSE to matching their so called veteran leadership. From the training camp fawning of Fitz by his buddies Mangold & Decker to the rolling of the eyes & alligator arms by Marshall, to the weekly burning of Harris in the flat the Jets needed this overhaul in the worst way. 

Now, we can only hope that players like Hansen & Stewart can develop & be on the same page as our 22 year old QB. Speaking of Stewart he reminded me of Rod Smith when he took that little out pass & proceeded to stiff arm the CB into the turf & tell him about afterwards,lol. If anything, I saw a team that played hard & tough, from the 8 sacks by 8 different guys, to some of the gang tackling & everyone running to the ball and not giving up on plays. Bowles even had a bit of a smirk on his face, I think he likes what he sees from the enthusiasm from the team. It's gonna be fun to watch them grow & gain some confidence & we'll find out what the holes are that need to be filled in the draft & free agency in 2018. I'm very excited that we finally blew it up & didn't go for the bandaid fixes. 

Go Jets!

USATSI_10214957_158813650_lowres.jpg

Even though it was only a pre-season game here are some of the things that stood out after re-watching the tape:

– OLine pass protection of the #1 and #2 units kept the pocket relatively clean.  The run blocking was shaky though and needs to improve particularly up the middle.

– Robby Anderson regulalry getting open in his reps and hauling in that 40+ yard bomb.  Speaking of which, credit to Josh McCown for reaching Anderson something Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do .

– Elijah McGuire showed good wiggle and the ability to find holes.  Unfortunately both of his big runs were called back because of penalties.

– Christian Hackenberg had a crisp “game manager” performance which was a good first step.  Excellent completion percentage (72%), good accuracy and a quick release were his big positives.  His yardage and point production would’ve been better if not for some key drops.  He needs to improve his speed getting out of the huddle and processing things at the line because he wasted multiple time outs.

– Too many key drops that killed drives which could’ve led to points.

– The run defense was surprisingly shaky particularly up the middle.

– Defensively the team speed was outstanding.  And the pressure on the QB was
relentless whether it came from the pass rush or blitz packages.  Improved play by the secondary allowed the front 7 to get “home”.

– Leonard Williams was “beastly”.

– Excellent all around games by the LB’s Julian Stanford, Josh Martin and Jordan Jenkins. Demario Davis took his strong camp into the game and continues to look like an upgrade over David Harris.

– Other defenders with good performances were Anthony Johnson (DE), Dexter McDougle (CB) and Doug Middleton (S).

– Good tackling by the special team units and Frankie Hammond had a couple of nice returns.

After watching what the defense did to TEN that could explain why the offense has struggled in camp with:

– WR’s getting free from press coverage
– OLine picking up blitz packages
– Coverage sacks

Because the Titans were dominated in those areas all game.

We want to hear what you think. Join the conversation in our NY Jets message board.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
E_s42iYbTzM

Click here to read the full story...

I was listening to Hackenberg's post game conference:  He talked about the team laughing in the huddle because the new t.v. time outs took longer than usual.  In fact that is part of the NFL's new plan to have  a longer break but have less of them (Breaks that is).  I admit I watch WWE smackdown on USA network.  Recently that network has tried something new, going to a split screen for commercial break keeping the match going for observation.  I wonder if the NFL is considering going to that scenario.

I am late to the party, but....

• On Defense
    • Players played hard.  I have implied before that i thought the Jets overall did not look like a fit team.  The team appears leaner and fitter than I have seen them.
    • Stanford and Davis looked good.  
    • Macdougal looked good.  Don't know if it was enough.
    • Josh Martin was active.
    • The team is stacked on the DL, from top to bottom,  Can they make one a WR?
  • On Offense
    • The complaint on Hack that most concerned me, particularly in a WCO, was that he was inaccurate, particularly on short passes.  So, the conservative game plan looked like progress on that.
    • Myles White did not look good.  If this year is not a tank, they need receivers.
    • I am worried worst about the RBs, actually.  Could really use a power back that can catch.
    • Hammond and Harper looked good.
    • Could not really get a feel for the OL, other than to wonder what Brandon Shell and Wes Johnson did to be apparently demoted.
  • Overall
    • Appeared much better coached.
    • The defense will be too good to execute the tank.
    • What is going on in Bufallo?  Sign Boldin?  Trade Watkins?  Do you ever get the feeling that they are stalking the Jets?

I think the Jets played a very good game 1 preseason game. Not much of a run game with BP and Forte out but Mc Guire had some good runs. May have opened up more opportunities for the pass with a respectable ground game. Defense looked good and fast. Adding some creative blitz schemes will make them even better when the season starts. Hack did very well. Showed poise and QB smarts throwing the ball away on one play instead of holding on too long a la Geno. O-Line not opening up holes on the run....needs to improve. They looked very organized and competitive. Didn't get the points on the board but that will come eventually. Looks like they are going to start the season with Mc Cown. Not too happy with that but as the preseason moves forward it could change.

Archived