Jump to content
Sarge4Tide

After PS Game 1: Guess at Who's In / Who's Out of Roster

Recommended Posts

Sarge4Tide    1,048

QB:

IN (3): McCown, Hackenberg, Petty  PROBABLY IN (0): BUBBLE (0): 

RB:

IN (3): Forte, Powell, McGuire  PROBABLY IN (0): BUBBLE (2): Morris, Todman 

FB:

IN (0):  PROBABLY IN (1): Howsare  BUBBLE (1): Firsker

TE:

IN (2):  Sefrian-Jenkins, Leggett PROBABLY IN (1): Tomlinson BUBBLE (1): Vander Laan 

WR:

IN (4):  Anderson, Peake, Stewart,  Hansen PROBABLY IN (2): Marshall, Harper BUBBLE (2): Hammond, Whitehead, Wilson

OL:

IN (6):  Beachum, Carpenter, Johnson, Winters, Shell, Qvale PROBABLY IN (2): Ijalna, Harrison BUBBLE (3): Dozier, Balducci, Watts

DL:

IN (4):  Williams, Wilkerson, Richardson, McLendon PROBABLY IN (2): Simon, Thomas BUBBLE (4): Pennel, Johnson, Pelon, Still

LB:

IN (3):  Lee, Jenkins, Davis PROBABLY IN (4): Mauldin, Martin, Donahue, Carter  BUBBLE (4): Lemonier, Bishop, Beltre, Stanford 

CB:

IN (2): Claiborne, Skrine PROBABLY IN (3): Burris, Roberts, Williams BUBBLE (3): McDougle, Jones, Clark (PUP)

S:

IN (3):  Adams, Maye, Miles PROBABLY IN (1): Middleton BUBBLE (2): Martin, Thomas 

LS:

IN (1): Purdham  PROBABLY IN (0): BUBBLE (0): 

P:

IN (0):  PROBABLY IN (1): Edwards BUBBLE (0): 

PK:

IN (0):  PROBABLY IN (1): Cannzaro BUBBLE (1): Martin

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Sarge4Tide    1,048
30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After last night Stanford is at least probably in, he was the best defensive player on the field.

Stanford's problem is numbers - can they keep 4 ILBs?  There's sorthe of a logjam of talent  (potential) at OLB and they might have to keep 5 OLBs (Jenkins, Mauldin, Donahue and 2 out of Lemonier/ Bishop / Beltre).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinstar    2,176
Just now, sciond said:

I think Vander Laan over Tomlinson for probably in

With ASJ being suspended for the 1st 2 games, I would keep Leggett Tomlinson and Laan for the 1st 2 weeks . I'm beginning to like this Kid Laan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinstar    2,176

I believe this HC coach and front office likes Jalin Marshall, but with his 4 game suspension and his constantly dropping the ball, he has 2 more games to make this roster after his suspension . If he continues with his drops, he should be dropped .

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PepPep    649
22 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Stanford's problem is numbers - can they keep 4 ILBs?  There's sorthe of a logjam of talent  (potential) at OLB and they might have to keep 5 OLBs (Jenkins, Mauldin, Donahue and 2 out of Lemonier/ Bishop / Beltre).  

I think Stanford and Martin are pretty much IN regardless. 

If we assume Lee, Davis, Mauldin and Jenkins as the starters. There is still room for Martin, Stanford, Carter and Donahue- regardless of whether they are better suited to play ILB or OLB. Lemonier, Bishop, Beltre, Paysinger and Harris are on the outside looking in. Harris is a prime PS candidate. And the Jets may carry 9 LBs like they did last year- leaving room for a bubble guy to make the team.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PepPep    649
21 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Marcus Williams is far from safe. He can save us on the cap at this point is only marginally better than McDougle

I agree. But not so much b/c of the cap. Simply performance. I think the Jets will carry 6 CBs (last year they carried 5). To me, Claiborne, Burris, and Skrine are locks. In fact, go ahead and pencil them in as the starters. Then you have Roberts, Williams, McDougle, and the drafted rookie D.Jones. Clark is on PUP so I am excluding him. We have not seen D.Rivers or X.Coleman, so I am excluding them too- for now. That's 4 players for 3 spots, somebody has got to go. You would think Roberts and Williams have shown enough to make the team. But McDougle played well on Sat and D.Jones is a young, talented, raw rookie that they invested a late round pick in and will probably be hesitant to put on waiver wires en route to PS. SO this should be an interesting competition at the bottom of the CB depth chart. Will the Jets carry 7 CBS? I doubt it. Will they risk putting Jones on PS? Will they cut McDougle even though he is playing well? Or will they cut one of the veterans in Roberts or Williams despite how well they played in years past? 

My guess is, if McDougle continues to play well, the Jets will probably decide to cut Williams.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PepPep    649

Catanzaro has been missing kicks. He missed his only one in the pre-season game and he missed a bunch in practice. Martin has been hitting them regularly and has shown a strong leg. I think the job is his to lose. In fact, I think the Jets may cut Catanzaro and bring in someone else to compete with Martin the rest of pre-season. That is what I would do.

I also think its time for Edwards to start punting the ball consistently. He has no competition right now but should be n the bubble anyway. He was inconsistent all of last year and looked more bad than good in the pre-season game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doggin94it    21,547
17 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I believe this HC coach and front office likes Jalin Marshall, but with his 4 game suspension and his constantly dropping the ball, he has 2 more games to make this roster after his suspension . If he continues with his drops, he should be dropped .

You're exactly wrong.  He's got 4 games without counting on the roster. There is chance he is cut before his suspension is over

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tinstar    2,176
47 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You're exactly wrong.  He's got 4 games without counting on the roster. There is chance he is cut before his suspension is over

If I were looking at this situation the way you obviously are, you would be right and I would be wrong. But since i'm not, let's agree to disagree .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PepPep    649
1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

You're exactly wrong.  He's got 4 games without counting on the roster. There is chance he is cut before his suspension is over

I get your reasoning, but I have to agree with @Tinstar. Let's not forget that A. Marshall is not a high draft pick and has not 'proven' himself in the NFL yet. B. Having to serve a 4 game suspension is a negative, no matter how you look at it. You have to earn a roster spot despite a guarantee that you cannot contribute at all the first 4 games. What I mean is, you better be worth it!  

So if on top of that he is dropping balls he should catch and/or not contributing on special teams, I would not be at all surprised if he was cut and reps were handed over to another WR trying to make the team who can contribute on special teams, holds on to the ball and will not be out the first 4 games of the season. Frankie Hammond immediately comes to mind. But because of the new rules change, once final cuts happen there will be a ton of players looking for new homes and we will see a frenzy of signings just before the season starts. Another opportunity for the Jets to cut Marshall if he is still not stepping up like he should.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
varjet    768
1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I think Stanford and Martin are pretty much IN regardless. 

If we assume Lee, Davis, Mauldin and Jenkins as the starters. There is still room for Martin, Stanford, Carter and Donahue- regardless of whether they are better suited to play ILB or OLB. Lemonier, Bishop, Beltre, Paysinger and Harris are on the outside looking in. Harris is a prime PS candidate. And the Jets may carry 9 LBs like they did last year- leaving room for a bubble guy to make the team.   

I don't know about Carter-tough to see him taking a spot that could go to someone with more upside.  Carter seems like an excellent athlete who can't get his act together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpoppy717    10
22 hours ago, PepPep said:

I get your reasoning, but I have to agree with @Tinstar. Let's not forget that A. Marshall is not a high draft pick and has not 'proven' himself in the NFL yet. B. Having to serve a 4 game suspension is a negative, no matter how you look at it. You have to earn a roster spot despite a guarantee that you cannot contribute at all the first 4 games. What I mean is, you better be worth it!  

So if on top of that he is dropping balls he should catch and/or not contributing on special teams, I would not be at all surprised if he was cut and reps were handed over to another WR trying to make the team who can contribute on special teams, holds on to the ball and will not be out the first 4 games of the season. Frankie Hammond immediately comes to mind. But because of the new rules change, once final cuts happen there will be a ton of players looking for new homes and we will see a frenzy of signings just before the season starts. Another opportunity for the Jets to cut Marshall if he is still not stepping up like he should.     

But because he's suspended he doesn't count towards 53.  Don't need to cut him.  So no reason to.  Keep him on as suspended, and if you have injuries or crappy play in first 4 games, you can bring him back.  If you don't think he deserves a spot at that point, get rid of him.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slats    96,058
16 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

But because he's suspended he doesn't count towards 53.  Don't need to cut him.  So no reason to.  Keep him on as suspended, and if you have injuries or crappy play in first 4 games, you can bring him back.  If you don't think he deserves a spot at that point, get rid of him.

Exactly. For the first four games of the year, it's exactly as if he is cut, and there's another WR on the roster getting a chance to steal his job while the Jets retain their rights to Marshall for free. Absolutely no reason for them to cut him until after his suspension if that's the route they want to take. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doggin94it    21,547
On 8/14/2017 at 2:23 PM, PepPep said:

I get your reasoning, but I have to agree with @Tinstar. Let's not forget that A. Marshall is not a high draft pick and has not 'proven' himself in the NFL yet. B. Having to serve a 4 game suspension is a negative, no matter how you look at it. You have to earn a roster spot despite a guarantee that you cannot contribute at all the first 4 games. What I mean is, you better be worth it!  

So if on top of that he is dropping balls he should catch and/or not contributing on special teams, I would not be at all surprised if he was cut and reps were handed over to another WR trying to make the team who can contribute on special teams, holds on to the ball and will not be out the first 4 games of the season. Frankie Hammond immediately comes to mind. But because of the new rules change, once final cuts happen there will be a ton of players looking for new homes and we will see a frenzy of signings just before the season starts. Another opportunity for the Jets to cut Marshall if he is still not stepping up like he should.     

You don't get it. He's free to retain for 4 weeks while on suspension. He costs the Jets no money, and costs the Jets no roster spot. At the very least, they will hold on to his rights through the end of the suspension, because even if he's the 7th best receiver in their evaluation and they're only keeping 6, they can keep him on the reserve list in case one of their top 6 gets injured in the first 4 weeks.

There is literally no reason for the Jets to ever cut him this preseason.  There's no first round of cuts - we're going from 90 to 53 this year - so it's not like they have to let anyone else go to keep him through the end of preseason.  If they want to give someone else more reps, they can do that without cutting Marshall (the same way they can give more reps to any 1 player without cutting another). And there's no reason to cut him to make room for someone cut from another team after the preseason, because cutting him won't free up a roster spot to sign anyone, since he won't be taking up a roster spot in the first place.

I hate to say this so bluntly, but if you think Marshall is getting cut before his suspension is up, you have no clue about roster management. None. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×