McCoffee & Bowles off to a good start

Jetster

My thoughts on GMs and Coaches in this new watered down NFL is that it's incredibly difficult to critic them properly if they do not have a reliable QB. The game has become so QB driven with defenses playing with one arm behind their back (defenseless receiver, can't go low on a QB, can't go high on a QB, Olines of star QBs holding constantly without penalty and on & on). 

Fitz plays well, Jets go 10-6. It's not Bowles fault he threw 2 picks to kill our playoff chances. Fitz sh*ts his pants throwing 6 picks, Decker gets hurt, entire Oline gets injured and Revis & Marshall quit guys start bickering & you get the 2016 season.

I look at 2017 as a complete rewind with this group. Woody is in England, his brother has stepped in and Florham Park seems to have a good positive vibe going on despite the constant doom & gloom from the media and most of the fans.

But quietly, the Jets might have drafted the best non QBs in the last 3 drafts (sure he got lucky, so did the Pats with Brady). Williams might be the best young Dlineman in the league. Adams is 100% football and could turn out to our Bob Sanders/Earl Thomas type (without the injuries hopefully). There are a host of young players with potential, Anderson, Peake, Stewart, Hansen, Marshall, McGuire, Shell, Leggett, ASJ, Stanford, Lee, Jenkins, Burris, Maye, Donahue, plus I loved Jones athleticism (developing him could be awesome).

With Adams, Maye, Burris, Jones, the Jets could be putting together something similar to the Seahawks if they use part of their 80/90 million next year to grab a top CB and really solidify our secondary.

Finally, Hackenberg. I have to give this regime Kudos for ignoring the noise & throwing the 21 year old, now just 22 to the Wolves. The Oline was a disaster at the end of 2016 with 1/2 guys healthy. He would have been eaten alive. Instead, Bowles brought in Morton & Bates to bring him along. He showed great progress & without the 3 drops (passes that were literally right on the money), he was almost perfect in completion %. Sure they were all dink & dunk but even Bill Parcells did that with Vinnie T when he brought him here. Parcells was criticized for being too conservative & using the same plays over & over. Looks like Morton & Bates are going in that same direction. You practice plays so that you can ALWAYS execute them properly. One play they ran was called a pick because the timing was off. I guarantee you'll see that play many more times in preseason until they execute the timing on those blocks by the WRs. These are basic plays that teams like the Pats with Edelman & Amendola run them all the time. The exciting thing about these short plays are the potential of players like Ardarious Stewart. Stewart is a beast with the ball in his hands. Hackenberg was right on target with those quick outs, and his velocity gives those WRs that extra second the need to slip tackles. So I'm not gonna complain about not going deep ect, I want Hackenberg to perfect these short WCO plays until he can execute them in his SLEEP. That's when Morton & Bates will stack the next level of plays. This is how you develop a young QB, media & fans be damned. Based on the progress I saw with Hack in that 1st preseason game I'm excited to see if he can continue his play. If he can do that our Jets are exactly where I want them to be, building while the Pats are eventually descending which has to be inevitable. If Hack turns out to be our future, 2019 could be huge turnaround for this franchise. 

There's a lot of season to go before we see how everything plays out.

Think hiring a bunch of new assistant coaches this offseason has the potential to pay off. Think the overall coaching staff is better than it was last year.

Macc is either going to be called an idiot or a genius for the Hackenberg pick. Reality of the situation is he probably knew there was a low probability of a payoff but felt at that stage of the draft the risk was worth the reward. Easy to quibble with how early it was, but people talk about needing a second round pick at QB to work out as if the historical track record there isn't awful. That pick was a dice roll, plain and simple. I do think it's good he's been brought along slowly as he clearly wasn't ready.

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Right on. They won a pre-season game 7-3 over the titans. Freaking fantastic. 

Gonna be a lot of people let down by reality when they step out of wonderland.

Can you honestly not look at the game for what it was? They looked better than everyone expected and their 3 best offensive players weren't on the field (Powell, forte, Q) . Nobody is crowning them yet but for the first preseason game it showed signs of promise.

23 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Our starters played well against a team that many expect to be a playoff team, and possibly win their division. 

Yes it's preseason. But it was encouraging to see them not look terrible. 

We'll see how everything goes during the season when everything is in full gear. The one thing to me that stood out that will translate over into the season regardless of the situation was the team speed on defense. -they were flying, 1st-3rd stringers. 

I am more inclined to give Macc the credit. He has really drafted well in my opinion. If Hack/Lee turn show improvement this year he could look like a genius. 

Bowles on the other hand has shown me very little, but this is his year to prove everyone wrong. If he can be a part of a staff that develops a franchise QB in Hack and the team wins 7-8 games, he will save his job. If Hack is awful and the team wins 3 games, well then bye bye Bowles. 

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am more inclined to give Macc the credit. He has really drafted well in my opinion. If Hack/Lee turn show improvement this year he could look like a genius. 

Bowles on the other hand has shown me very little, but this is his year to prove everyone wrong. If he can be a part of a staff that develops a franchise QB in Hack and the team wins 7-8 games, he will save his job. If Hack is awful and the team wins 3 games, well then bye bye Bowles. 

Oh I completely agree. Bowles in on thin ice. But the Cards coach Arians? Is a straight shooter & really, really likes Todd Bowles and gloated about him. He was assistant of the year in Arizona and like all Jet hires at Coach other than Parcells he's learning on the job. If he faulters I'm all for going great guns to hire Sean Payton if they can & keeping Morton and Bates (even though Paytons mouth looks like a puckered azz hole).  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles did one of the very worst coaching jobs I've ever seen in a football last year so he has a long ways to go to be even adequate.

When your team is 32nd in Turnovers, yes you will look pretty, pretty bad.

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

And....there it is. So, you see no redeeming qualities from any of these young players? You have to START somewhere, you can't just keep signing big name free agents. Just look at those last Tanny & Rex drafts! There's literally nothing there. Q was the only standout & he's hurt. Total effing disasterous drafts. It's like you want Macc to perform miracles or something.

Personally, I think Macc has done well. And just imagine, the best player he DIDN'T draft in Q is out for the season! That's just sh*t luck man. So look at this roster & how many guys from those past 2 GMs are starting players?

Macc has had a lot of work to do & needs more time to rebuild this roster literally from the ground up. I want to finally see some SUSTAINED success with some home grown players that fans are proud to wear their Jerseys. I don't think true fans are expectations are too high, most are fine with seeing gradual development & hopefully a successful future in the coming years.

The NY Jets aren't even close to being the worst team in the league over the last 25 years, that's a media creation. For some reason the local & national media love poking fun at them. Go back & look at the Raiders before Carr, you can probably go back 17 years of complete and utter suckage & they haven't had to been in a division like the Jets facing Brady & Belichick for the last 17 years.

I like what I'm seeing. If you want to be a pessimistic Debbie Downer be my guest, our Jets can still finish under .500 and be fun to watch. I can't tell you how many times I turned off the TV last year and worked outside the house. I wanted them to cut every veteran who was either overpaid, a PITA, or who dogged it & they did. I even wanted Harris cut, not because he was a great Jet but because I don't for the life of me want to watch him chasing another RB from behind on a wheel route ever again. 

Im 100% on board with what the Jets are trying to do here. Bravo. And the 1st order of business, getting Woody Johnsons nose out of everyone's business will be the best thing that ever happened to this organization. Maccs building a TEAM. ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And....there it is. So, you see no redeeming qualities from any of these young players? You have to START somewhere, you can't just keep signing big name free agents. Just look at those last Tanny & Rex drafts! There's literally nothing there. Q was the only standout & he's hurt. Total effing disasterous drafts. It's like you want Macc to perform miracles or something.

Personally, I think Macc has done well. And just imagine, the best player he DIDN'T draft in Q is out for the season! That's just sh*t luck man. So look at this roster & how many guys from those past 2 GMs are starting players?

Macc has had a lot of work to do & needs more time to rebuild this roster literally from the ground up. I want to finally see some SUSTAINED success with some home grown players that fans are proud to wear their Jerseys. I don't think true fans are expectations are too high, most are fine with seeing gradual development & hopefully a successful future in the coming years.

The NY Jets aren't even close to being the worst team in the league over the last 25 years, that's a media creation. For some reason the local & national media love poking fun at them. Go back & look at the Raiders before Carr, you can probably go back 17 years of complete and utter suckage & they haven't had to been in a division like the Jets facing Brady & Belichick for the last 17 years.

I like what I'm seeing. If you want to be a pessimistic Debbie Downer be my guest, our Jets can still finish under .500 and be fun to watch. I can't tell you how many times I turned off the TV last year and worked outside the house. I wanted them to cut every veteran who was either overpaid, a PITA, or who dogged it & they did. I even wanted Harris cut, not because he was a great Jet but because I don't for the life of me want to watch him chasing another RB from behind on a wheel route ever again. 

Im 100% on board with what the Jets are trying to do here. Bravo. And the 1st order of business, getting Woody Johnsons nose out of everyone's business will be the best thing that ever happened to this organization. Maccs building a TEAM. ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

You bring out some nice strawmen here. There's very few predicting them as one of the worst teams of all time, the last 25 years or even the last 5 years. Personally, I expect them to get 6-8 wins and have done so consistently. 

What does facing Belichick and brady have to do with it? How often has it actually been New England standing in their way of making the playoffs? There's 14 other games to play each season.

Well, there hasn't been any success yet. There's been on draft pick of the macc era that is a surefire stud and you could have picked that player off any draft board from idiot media types doing mock drafts.

Any Jet fan is 100% on board with what they're trying to do. Many of us don't believe they are capable of executing. Ideas are easy, execution is hard. There's not much to point to that they can get it done. 

Do you regularly want players cut because they are great jets often enough that you needed to state that was not why you wanted Harris cut?

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You bring out some nice strawmen here. There's very few predicting them as one of the worst teams of all time, the last 25 years or even the last 5 years. Personally, I expect them to get 6-8 wins and have done so consistently. 

What does facing Belichick and brady have to do with it? How often has it actually been New England standing in their way of making the playoffs? There's 14 other games to play each season.

Well, there hasn't been any success yet. There's been on draft pick of the macc era that is a surefire stud and you could have picked that player off any draft board from idiot media types doing mock drafts.

Any Jet fan is 100% on board with what they're trying to do. Many of us don't believe they are capable of executing. Ideas are easy, execution is hard. There's not much to point to that they can get it done. 

Do you regularly want players cut because they are great jets often enough that you needed to state that was not why you wanted Harris cut?

That was a misquote. I meant to say I loved what Harris did with the Jets, I just wasn't on board with giving him that big contract. My god, it was 2010 when a fat out of shape 280 Lb Alge Crumpler ran him down from behind in that playoff game. Harris type of build doesn't fit this new NFL. Sure BB signed him, but he would never give him 8 million like we paid him! He's a 2 down dinosaur in a wide open Arena League game. It was time for him to go BEFORE that last big contract.

The Pats & Steelers seem to always let guys go at the right time. The Jets? Never do.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles did one of the very worst coaching jobs I've ever seen in a football last year so he has a long ways to go to be even adequate.

This and then some. Not only did his players quit on him last season, but he quit on his players last season. Ok new season, fine. While I did sense a new attitude Saturday night on D, I want to see his team play aggressively and with fire, go out and kick the living snot out of someone. Instead we get 7-3 and playing scared not to lose in a meaningless PS game. My fear is Bowles cannot change, and should they get a lead say 3-0 or 6-0, and because they supposedly will have a real good D, he will shut the O down, go 3 and out for the rest of the game trying to sit on a small lead. That drives me nuts. I have been a loud Anti Bowles poster, but believe me, nothing would make me happier then for him to get his $hit together and become a real NFL HC. I want nothing more then the NY Jets to succeed which means he must succeed. My disdain for him is his blasé demeanor about everything, lack of information to us fans through the media and his attitude like he has won the last 7 SB's, I mean he sounds annoyed in every single interview I have ever heard him do. This team may have a shot to be halfway decent, say 8-8, this is football, who knows. They also have the chance to be the same stink fart they were last season. I saw a lot of positives Saturday, positives that I did not see last season at all. 

Hoping for the best...I am not interested in next years draft. Yet.

Archived