SAR Training Camp Report - Monday 8/14

SAR I

45 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Come on brah, this is like saying, oh sh*t, theres a bad accident over there, but don't look! Of course we are going to look man.

44 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Now that you said that...it's taking everything I have not to do it.  You know...like when someone says "Don't think about xxx"

All I'm going to say is "catfish". 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PS17 said:

It's Hackenberg. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure. Went back and forth between the two. I try to always spell names correctly, but I didn't bother to check.

Also, some advice. The proper reply you should've given me woulda been a simple "Irony". You really dropped the ball on that one; Jalin Marshall style.

49 minutes ago, flgreen said:

It certainly appears that way.  Lets give it a few more weeks.  It's been reported tat the Jets' version of the WCO is particularly complex.  This is certainly going to affect two green QB's play

This is where the stupid CBA ruins football, imagine how different the Sean Payton Drew Brees story might have been if the same CBA rules were in affect back then, if I remember correctly the story goes the 2 of them installed the offense together from day one of Brees signing in March basically spending every waking moment of the offseason going over it, and perfecting it getting coach, and QB on the same page.  I am of the belief that if not anything else Hackenberg is a very smart kid who understands football, and X's, and O's IF his physical issues are taken care of, AND he, Morton, McCown, and Bates were allowed to do the same thing Payton, and Brees did that McCown, AND Hack would be out there in these practices doing the yelling, and screaming at the other 10 guys in the huddle when they messed up not Morton doing it all the time.  This day, and age like it, or not specifically on the offensive side of the ball continuity with coach/system is possibly the 2nd most important thing behind finding a special talent at QB who was born to be a franchise QB (you would see a few more Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson types with SB rings thou IMO if the CBA was like it used to be, AND a few more owners outside of the Steelers, and Giants understood the value of continuity.  Which I actually believe has happened whether it be by mistake because of success, or the copy cat league formula with a talented roster everywhere else), hopefully the league, and players get it right next negotiation, and the players give up their off season freedom in exchange for almost fully guaranteed contracts only not guaranteed for certain stipulations such as personal conduct policy, drug/alcohol issues, and not fulfilling obligations laid out in contract such as showing up for agreed off season programs which have no restrictions other then padded practices making you a employee like every other person in society 12 months a year.

After getting side tracked there my point is I think the Jets with their defense would be in a good position to compete in every game they played this year IF the QB's were in the building since March, and other offensive players so the install was already done, and now TC, and preseason were about getting timing down in pads at full speed only, not spending 90% of the time on the install that will probably be never fully learned before the Jets clean house, and have a new Offense next season being installed with probably a new QB starting the clock on a new 3 year process that this HC, and GM screwed up because of Chan Gailey, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith to some extent.  Bowles needed to bring in a OC that would install a offense that wasn't going anywhere any time soon, and Macc needed to draft him a QB year one to put into that offense, they did it the 2nd year with Hack, but then the offense got changed, and it might just be to late to get the leeway to start a 3 year rebuild in year 3 as a HC, and GM tandem in this NY market with the media, and fan craziness.  

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

They ran out of chocolate chip cookies, see ya!!!

The three teens I was with got a little antsy and the VIP parking, food, and segregation from the unwashed masses is terrific, but the end zone seating has a compromised view, couldn't see the 7 on 7 action. So we left around 3:30.

SAR I

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets defense is not bad.

The Jets offense is bad.

How many WRs and TEs can the team reasonably keep?  8?  Can 4 be TEs?

well, you can always think the jet defense is so good it's hard for the offense to look good.  and if they are good then eventually the offense will better prepared to meet real nfl teams.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

This is where the stupid CBA ruins football, imagine how different the Sean Payton Drew Brees story might have been if the same CBA rules were in affect back then, if I remember correctly the story goes the 2 of them installed the offense together from day one of Brees signing in March basically spending every waking moment of the offseason going over it, and perfecting it getting coach, and QB on the same page.  I am of the belief that if not anything else Hackenberg is a very smart kid who understands football, and X's, and O's IF his physical issues are taken care of, AND he, Morton, McCown, and Bates were allowed to do the same thing Payton, and Brees did that McCown, AND Hack would be out there in these practices doing the yelling, and screaming at the other 10 guys in the huddle when they messed up not Morton doing it all the time.  This day, and age like it, or not specifically on the offensive side of the ball continuity with coach/system is possibly the 2nd most important thing behind finding a special talent at QB who was born to be a franchise QB (you would see a few more Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson types with SB rings thou IMO if the CBA was like it used to be, AND a few more owners outside of the Steelers, and Giants understood the value of continuity.  Which I actually believe has happened whether it be by mistake because of success, or the copy cat league formula with a talented roster everywhere else), hopefully the league, and players get it right next negotiation, and the players give up their off season freedom in exchange for almost fully guaranteed contracts only not guaranteed for certain stipulations such as personal conduct policy, drug/alcohol issues, and not fulfilling obligations laid out in contract such as showing up for agreed off season programs which have no restrictions other then padded practices making you a employee like every other person in society 12 months a year.

After getting side tracked there my point is I think the Jets with their defense would be in a good position to compete in every game they played this year IF the QB's were in the building since March, and other offensive players so the install was already done, and now TC, and preseason were about getting timing down in pads at full speed only, not spending 90% of the time on the install that will probably be never fully learned before the Jets clean house, and have a new Offense next season being installed with probably a new QB starting the clock on a new 3 year process that this HC, and GM screwed up because of Chan Gailey, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith to some extent.  Bowles needed to bring in a OC that would install a offense that wasn't going anywhere any time soon, and Macc needed to draft him a QB year one to put into that offense, they did it the 2nd year with Hack, but then the offense got changed, and it might just be to late to get the leeway to start a 3 year rebuild in year 3 as a HC, and GM tandem in this NY market with the media, and fan craziness.  

imo there's something to be said about gailey being a bad hire.  i just don't think he had the stomach to get in players faces anymore.  but in reality the way the team was far too old and moldy they would've needed a couple of decent drafts just to get the talent that idzik and tanny didn't.  i know some think the holes can be filed with free agents but the way the drafts went there just wasn't enough cap to fill them all.

7 hours ago, flgreen said:

Jets rookie report: CB Derrick Jones, a sixth-round pick, had a good day. He was involved in two interceptions, picking off a deep ball that was deflected to him and breaking up a pass that was intercepted by rookie LB Connor Harris. Jones is extremely raw, but this was a confidence builder. RB Elijah McGuire jumped out as a receiver, turning a seam route into a long TD catch.

LOVE to hear this type of stuff about all the Late Round Rookies and UDFAs!

This is the MEAT for the argument as to whether or not MacCagnan has an ACTUAL COMPETENT EYE for FOOTBALL TALENT and IF he can build a DEEP, CHEAP, and yet TALENTED, team on ROOKIE contracts to build a strong NEW CORE for years to come. Seeing late round unpolished rookies Actually DEVELOPING into premium starting players is SO gratifying (Marcus Coleman, Ryan Young, Victor Green, Jericho Cotchery, Sherbet, etc.). The Jets haven't been able to draft late round talent consistently that contributed  since the Halcyon Days of TWO DICKS in the 90's (Steinberg '90-'94 & Haley '91-'02).

Mac's 2015 class should bear SIGNIFICANT fruit this year as it ripens entering its 3rd year. 

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

LOVE to hear this type of stuff about all the Late Round Rookies and UDFAs!

This is the MEAT for the argument as to whether or not MacCagnan has an ACTUAL COMPETENT EYE for FOOTBALL TALENT and IF he can build a DEEP, CHEAP, and yet TALENTED, team on ROOKIE contracts to build a strong NEW CORE for years to come. Seeing late round unpolished rookies Actually DEVELOPING into premium starting players is SO gratifying (Marcus Coleman, Ryan Young, Victor Green, Jericho Cotchery, Sherbet, etc.). The Jets haven't been able to draft late round talent consistently that contributed  since the Halcyon Days of TWO DICKS in the 90's (Steinberg '90-'94 & Haley '91-'02).

Mac's 2015 class should bear SIGNIFICANT fruit this year as it ripens entering its 3rd year. 

I think 2 staples of Mac's drafting philosophy are that CBs, WRs and Olineman can be taken with mid/late round picks and developed if they have an elite physical skills.

Looking back at just how bad Idzik was at drafting, you see guys like Shaq Evans and that tiny receiver that he took in the, and jeremiah george the ILB he took in the 5th and you have to ask yourself, what exactly did he see in picking those players.  In no way did they stand out and in the case of the oklahoma kid, he actually had a massive physical shortcoming that he would need to overcome to excel in the NFL.  The entire league was moving towards speed at LB, and instead Idzik took a slow ILB????  Everyone harps on Mac/Hackenberg, but what would our QB situation look like if we had simply taken AJ McCarron instead of those duds?

If you look at our late picks/UDFA, especially Robby Anderson and Peake, those guys have elite speed and size respectively so you can see what Mac saw in them.  They might not pan out, as most last round picks, but at least there is a method to what he's doing.  Burris and Brandon Shell also have true NFL size for their positions and needed a year to work on NFL technique to hopefully develop into contributors or even starters.  Derrick Jones fits the same mold, great athlete, needs to refine his skill set.

19 hours ago, SAR I said:

Watching the QBs throw about 30 balls each, Hackenberg's balls are fluttering and Petty's are a perfect spiral every time.  Both get where they need to be, but Petty's look better.

Getting ready for 7 on 7's now. 

SAR I

Who avoided the full on blitz to make the throw?

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think 2 staples of Mac's drafting philosophy are that CBs, WRs and Olineman can be taken with mid/late round picks and developed if they have an elite physical skills.

Looking back at just how bad Idzik was at drafting, you see guys like Shaq Evans and that tiny receiver that he took in the, and jeremiah george the ILB he took in the 5th and you have to ask yourself, what exactly did he see in picking those players.  In no way did they stand out and in the case of the oklahoma kid, he actually had a massive physical shortcoming that he would need to overcome to excel in the NFL.  The entire league was moving towards speed at LB, and instead Idzik took a slow ILB????  Everyone harps on Mac/Hackenberg, but what would our QB situation look like if we had simply taken AJ McCarron instead of those duds?

If you look at our late picks/UDFA, especially Robby Anderson and Peake, those guys have elite speed and size respectively so you can see what Mac saw in them.  They might not pan out, as most last round picks, but at least there is a method to what he's doing.  Burris and Brandon Shell also have true NFL size for their positions and needed a year to work on NFL technique to hopefully develop into contributors or even starters.  Derrick Jones fits the same mold, great athlete, needs to refine his skill set.

Just to play devil's advocate: I think it is pretty simple.  Idzik drafted the fidget Saunders, to return punts and kicks.  It wasn't his size that keeps him out of the league, it is the fact that he seems to have a substance problem and/or bad attitude.  He tried to get cute looking at a kid that was 5'8" as a returner/RB.  He was trying to draft Taylor Gabriel, but he missed. Shaq Evans was actually a physical specimen, with attitude and health questions.  Jeremiah George was a special teams pick and is still in the league with the Colts.  He played in 15 games in 2015 and wasn't particularly slow.  He ran a 4.66.  That isn't scorching, but Demario Davis was supposed to bring speed to our ILB postion with a 4.61 (fastest ILB in 2012).  FWIW, Brandon Dixon the CB Rex cut out of camp is still in the league with the Steelers, but hasn't seen the field since 2014 with the Bucs.

If we had taken AJ McCarron more than half the board would be complaining about Check-down Charlie Chicken Arm.  I actually think that Idzik and Maccagnan both emphasize athleticism, especially for UDFA.  I would not list Burris in that mix.  He is pretty slow and probably will be exposed a bit this year, but hey we spent plenty of draft capital to help him over the top.  They both seem to follow a bunch of the Seahawks draft philosophies.  Maccagnan does it with CBs,which are long guys that you can train - thing is, who is training them?  We switched DB coaches.  

• 8 months later...

Archived